Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>If I may ask, is there anything left that looks as if it is a good buy now, even after a couple of years?<<

For a medium to long-term hold (not a flip), my vote would go to the Julia Tyler First Spouse $10 gold, proof or uncirculated, at any price under $1000. Close runners-up would be the Jackson and Van Buren Liberty First Spouse $10 gold proofs at around $900 to $950. I think these coins are very scarce in relation to anticipated future demand, and have considerable downside protection due to their gold content.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    >> Why are we still promoting First Strike silliness? <<

Um . . . because they bring higher prices in the marketplace?

It does not make economic sense to disregard customer preferences, regardless of whether you think that these preferences have merit.

• Options
    Why are we still promoting First Strike silliness?

It does not make economic sense to disregard customer preferences, regardless of whether you think that these preferences have merit.

Those customers will never learn? What will they think of the promoters after they realize how much they overpaid them? Do the promoters think of their reputation?
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are we still promoting First Strike silliness?

Those customers will never learn? What will they think of the promoters after they realize how much they overpaid them? Do the promoters think of their reputation? >>

The First Strike situation is an interesting study. At first I did not like it because it seemed like a totally artificial designation but have come to realize it is just another category to collect and therefore garners a higher price due to its lower numbers. Those prices may hold over the long haul as long as this category remains popular and I think it could. Collecting is a funny thing. People pay money for a lot of crazy things and this is just one of them so my advice is to just chill and not worry too much about how grown ups spend their money since it is their money afterall.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>If I may ask, is there anything left that looks as if it is a good buy now, even after a couple of years?<<

ericj would tell you that the 1999-W 1/10th oz. and 1/4 oz. AGEs might be a good idea, as long as the price doesn't get away from you first. I'm still waffling on that one a little, myself. I sold the one I had a couple years ago.

I'm waiting to see what the 5 oz. hockey puck game looks like when they come out. I don't know if there will be a bona fide opportunity there, or not.

I'm thinking about the Buchanan and Lincoln Gold Spouses in terms of desireability, but I also think that one of the 2011 issues will be the low mintage key.

Hey, if picking the winners were easy they wouldn't be winners, eh?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hey, if picking the winners were easy they wouldn't be winners, eh?"

True enough.

For ajman.... if I remember correctly (w/o going back through this thread) this forum really focused on the 2008 w plats much more than the 2008 W buffs when they were on sale (rather on sale, off sale and then on again and quiclky off). Many of us went heavy on the 2008 W MS plats, less so on the Proofs.

I believe that a clear call on this forum were the 2008 W AGE uncs. This was a really fantastic call as they went from a purchase price of less than $300 to over $1K in less than two years. WHAT A GREAT SCORE to make so much with such a small investment.

We are so fortunate to have this forum. At least we won't be amongst the countless collectors in the future saying "If only I bought in 2008....."
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Raufus we had a long and friendly debate in here on what were the best coins, some thought the plat uncs and some though the gold buffalo and plat proofs were better. So far the latter seem to have won for the flippers.

For those holding long-term though we won't know for many years, even 10 to 15 years may not be long enough. Short-term though the writing seems to be on the wall.

Here is something i don't think has ever been brought up here, but if you study the modern Chinese gold and platinum coins released since 1988 onward you will see similarities to what has happened in US modern bullion coins. The Chinese were not legally able to buy gold coins until a couple years ago and that is when prices started to rise once it became legal to buy their own coins. It was mostly the lowest mintage coins that went up first and some of the mintages are much less than even the Spouse coins in gold. I would be careful buying those but just wanted to point them out in case nobody has looked at that market.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Raufus

What is most important about the future price potential of a coin is availability, mintage (rarity) and state of preservation. You can't go wrong with buying true rarity. Demand also plays it's part, but let's assume that demand is equal to the low mintage mark for the particular series.

Certain issues can be manipulated and promoted, as long as there is enough large lots/quantities to make that possible.

Take the Buffalo Gold. There are some low mintage coins within the series of unc's/prf's. The two coins that stand out are the $50 Unc. and the $10 unc. (both sub 10k mintages) Those are the "long haul" coins. All the other coins within the series are not rare, and their prices have been driven well beyond their true worth. Have people made money on these? SURE. At least the holder's that sold and realized their profits.

There are other issues within the W mintmarked gold (2006-2008) that are their respective low water mark in terms of mintage for their respective denominations. They are good coins to own. But they too have been manipulated within the market. It depends how those coins come back onto the market - and this will determine if the price plummets or pulls back in a civilized fashion (i.e. retains most of it's increase in value).

The coins with seriously low mintages, the kind of numbers that dont lend themselves to easily putting together hoards are the MS PLATS. These are the LOWEST and RAREST of all USM issues (moderns). Widely distributed. Any hoarding has probably dissipated.

You cant get hurt on any of the calls on this forum at mint issue price. Wait, there is one that comes to mind, the Washie FDC.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just to add my thoughts...I guess if I thought there were any great buying opps still out there at today's prices, I'd be scooping them up.

I'm not.

The one area where prices do seem reasonable are the MS Plats that 7/8 mentions. I don't necessarily agree with the supposition that these will be sure-fire winners, however. Despite their low mintages, I am far from certain these will ever really boom. And there do seem to be plenty of historical examples of low-mintage coins that are now languishing a century or more after being issued. It's entirely possible to me that the buffs continue to keep a larger premium despite being way more abundant than the MS Plats.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Guys not to beat a dead horse but..............

Whether it is gold-silver-platinum / MS or Proof never forget demand as a key to price.

I just sold a couple of PCGS PR68 Reverse Proof 2006 Silver Eagles on Ebay for around $150 each.

PR68s!!

Why would someone pay 5x issue price for a very LOW graded coin with 250,000 mintage??

Only one answer........Demand

I love Platinum................MS and proof.........Most encouraging thing to me is the 2009 and 2010 sellouts of 1 Oz proofs.

Some of those buyers will eventually look to the earlier issues and add to demand.

Until then we just have to be content with our holding and if confident enough add choice pieces as opportunities arise.

• Options
    I like lots of coins at todays prices.

2008-w $5 mint state gold eagles at less than $325
    2008-w $50 mint state gold eagles at less than $1750
    1999-w $5 gold if you can find them in ms 69 at $500
    1999-w $10 gold if you can find them in ms 69 at less than $1200
    2007-2008 W mint state silver eagles at $30-40 each
    2006-w MS silver eagles at less than $70 each
    all 2008 proof plat fractionals at $500-1800 $10 to $50 respectively
    fractional ms W plats at twice melt

The last liberty proof coming out in 2 weeks
    2009 mint sets at $35 bucks

etc

Cast the net wide because we dont know how its all going to turn out exactly.

Eric

• Options
    Half, Seven and Grits-

Thanks for your insightful comments.

Thankfully most on this forum bought some of each of the great 2008 W issues at issue price.

I sold about 40% of mine too early. I still have about 60% left. I struggle with when to sell (have some ms and proof buffs, ms and proof plats and $10 AGE uncs).

I'm definitely holding the MS Plats as I think that they have more upwards potential than down. It's the Buffs and the $10 AGE Unc that I'm torn on.

Thanks for your posts!
  • Options
    I have more of the $10 2008-w gold eagles than any other coin and I may sell a few but will hold onto most of them. IMHO they will see over two grand in the next 3 years. They are the known mintage super key (other than the unknown 1999-w) to the largest total population US gold set. Think about that....... They are the known mintage super key to the largest total population US gold set.

Eric
  • Options
    For those holding long-term though we won't know for many years, even 10 to 15 years may not be long enough. Short-term though the writing seems to be on the wall.

That is the problem with plats for me. It ties up a lot of money for a hope of long-term numismatic appreciation so in strict investment terms it doesn't look as attractive. Of course if you just love the artwork and have a lot of spare money, that is a different thing.
  • Options
    Raufus,

Unless you need the cash, I'd keep those 2008-w $10 AGEs. I think the $25 gold unc buff is an obvious one to sell because of the high mintage. I like all the other buffs for long-term, though.
  • Options

<< <i>Raufus,

Unless you need the cash, I'd keep those 2008-w $10 AGEs. I think the $25 gold unc buff is an obvious one to sell because of the high mintage. I like all the other buffs for long-term, though. >>

2008 W buffalos down in price across the board as much as 20% per Numismatic News

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=13317
  • Options
    I like Eric's list presented above, I assume not in order of "value for the money"

Right now that belongs to the 08-w fractional MS Plats.

I do think that one can stretch to 3 times melt for some issues, and disagree that 2x melt seems a little cheap.....implying that they arent worth buying for any more of a premium.

I like the 08w $10 AGE, but at anywhere north of $1,250 I get nervous - it is stalled there. I like the coin, but at the $1000 level.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the adivce guys!

I've got a nice stash of quarter buff proofs in NGC 70 that I bought from the Mint and had graded. I'm wishing that I sold them in the craze. I've noted that they're down about 20%. Don't know whether to sell or hold those (don't really need the $ as not much else good to invest in now and I like the diversification). Of course, I don't want to hold and watch them drop more. Of course, like stocks picking the very top to sell is luck.

I plan to hold the $10 AGE Uncs (have 5 in sealed mint boxes and a few 70s - all from The Mint so got them cheap). That said, they are bringing great money now. Do you guys think that they still have a way to climb even at the $1200 that they are bringing now?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When this thread hits 10,000 will it go "into Bolivia" like the original "Predictions" thread did?

Will there be a new "US Modern Coin" forum to house the new "Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles,....#2" thread?

edt4 Mike Tyson ref, image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you guys think that they still have a way to climb even at the $1200 that they are bringing now? >>

Yes! It is a lock that the 2008-W AGE $10 will go MUCH higher than $1,200. The serious "players" are interested in this coin and dropping serious money on buying multiples of them.
    When a coin goes from $300 to $1,200 in a 1 1/2 years, it needs to take a break from the upward price climb here and there. It is healthy for it to do so.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Are the 06-W MS plats unattractive at today's prices?
  • Options
    Platinum proofs sold out. That's moving a lot of platinum.
  • Options
    fivecents

anyone buying significant quantities of the mintage of any one coin gets me nervous - why - simple.........

monopoly. some big money buyers drive bids much higher when they place their money and when the money is spent, bids evaporate.

i like a nice evenly distributed rarity.

let's hope the apparent significant quantity can find homes in a widely distributed collector base, and not find their way to market someday en mass.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who have responded in the last couple of days. That is why I absolutely love this thread! ericj, I bought your book a few weeks ago and appreciate all the info in it, for me especially as I consider myself not a novice but someone who feels that there is always something new to learn in this great hobby, and listens when others speak. Once again, thanks to all of the regular posters on this thread.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options

<< <i>Are the 06-W MS plats unattractive at today's prices? >>

I like lots of coins at todays prices.

2008-w $5 mint state gold eagles at less than $325
    2008-w $50 mint state gold eagles at less than $1750
    1999-w $5 gold if you can find them in ms 69 at $500
    1999-w $10 gold if you can find them in ms 69 at less than $1200
    2007-2008 W mint state silver eagles at $30-40 each
    2006-w MS silver eagles at less than $70 each
    all 2008 proof plat fractionals at $500-1800 $10 to $50 respectively

************************all fractional ms W plats at twice melt*******************************

The last liberty proof coming out in 2 weeks
    2009 mint sets at $35 bucks
  • Options

<< <i>Are the 06-W MS plats unattractive at today's prices? >>

No, the coins look as good as they did four years ago. image

Seriously, prices have backed off to the point where they are very reasonable - less than double melt for the $25 and $50 in MS69. Mintages are slightly higher for the 2006-W MS plats than for their 2008-W counterparts, but the 2006-W's are likely more widely distributed and in stronger hands overall.

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    RE: eric's list ---Considering what '07-w unc ase's can be had for today they seem the more likely to double in a couple years than any other coin there.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I've noticed some recent prices for the 07 w ase's in the low 20 range. I've still got a boatload and was surprised to see such low buys...
  • Options
    It would seem the flippers are turning their attention to the platinum issues now with fewer choices to pick from the Mint. It will be interesting to see what this does to the whole series. Probably good for it if you like short term appreciation but bad if you love the mega low mintages.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    Darn, first spouse prices have been raised... hopefully gold falls in time for the Buchannon Liberty release.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with the 2009 Platinum?

$2890
    2 for $4800
    $2825
    $2394.95

How High will these go??
    PR69 up now @ $2103.80
    PR69 up now @ $2075.00
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for posting those four auctions.

Seems there is a bit of a "brotherly/sisterly" bounce to the 2009's in reference to the 2010's?

Two consecutive years of one Platinum offering from the Mint and we have a "Two Year Sequential Series Rarity"!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>What's up with the 2009 Platinum?

$2890
    2 for $4800
    $2825
    $2394.95

How High will these go??
    PR69 up now @ $2103.80
    PR69 up now @ $2075.00 >>

What was the issue price for these?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1792..... for 2009 and the few and lucky of 2010!

Also, notice the raw are generating more profit then the slabbed.

And you gotta love this zero feedback "hope the heck I get it" ebay auction!!

Another thing. I see no current or past auctions for a "Sealed" 2009 Plat Proof. Wanna make a guess on that pricing considering the raws are elevated in price?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Thanks Miles!!!

WOW, I didn't even consider buying these - in fact I talked some of my partners out of them - good lord. If I had them I'd be a sellin' now!! Fantastic return.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    07-W ASE's are a real steal right now being available at less than $6 over spot.

I have wondered why these didn't do better sooner.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Just curious...is everyone buying the Buchanan Libs? Buying multiples? (I'm thinking of buying two of each).
  • Options
    I may pick up one or two to help the Mint out.image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of each for me.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 of each for me; one each Proof and Unc to keep, the rest to hopefully pay for my keepers!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's up with the 2009 Platinum?

$2890
    2 for $4800
    $2825
    $2394.95

How High will these go??
    PR69 up now @ $2103.80
    PR69 up now @ $2075.00 >>

What was the issue price for these? >>

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

When whoever is buying these looks around they will in time see the real bargins to be had in the earlier APE-W issues.

It is only a matter of time.
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious...is everyone buying the Buchanan Libs? Buying multiples? (I'm thinking of buying two of each). >>

There seems to be some interest in the short run, but how much?

There seems to be increased interest in the entire series.

So, looking at the sales of the previous short run coins may not give an accurate picture of interest in this last one.

I'm not sure what will happen with these, but I think they may sell a bit better than the other 3.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Are the Julia MS's going down the tubes??

I just noticed that a Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/22 at $2015. Another Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/4 at $3250. WOW the difference a few weeks makes. What's up with these? Headed down fast??
  • Options

<< <i>Are the Julia MS's going down the tubes??

I just noticed that a Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/22 at $2015. Another Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/4 at $3250. WOW the difference a few weeks makes. What's up with these? Headed down fast?? >>

This can't be any surprise can it? Except for the liberties, the series has no legs. A few people madly hyping the low mintage of Julia can only run so far. Doesn't mean it won't be a more popular series later, but for right now, wouldn't surprise me if these fall all the way back to near melt.
  • Options
    There's enough collector interest right now to keep 70FS coins above melt.

• Options

I just noticed that a Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/22 at $2015. Another Julia PCGS MS70 FS auction ended on 8/4 at $3250. WOW the difference a few weeks makes. What's up with these? Headed down fast?? >>

Two data points don't necessarily indicate a trend. The price run-up was swift, and backing off was to be expected. Raw and MS69 Julias, for the most part, have been selling consistently for under $1000, so the temporary price spike for the MS70 First Strikes may have simply been created by a few collectors acquiring specimens for registry sets or other high-end sets.

• Options

Anything that happens in that short of time is just random noise. Most thinly traded items can trade in broad swings and nothing ever goes up in value in a straight line anyway. Lets see what happens in a year to see a trend and even that can be affected by the economy.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I think thinly traded and certainly would not buy. Maybe sell even with the possible slight dip in prices...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Some say the dips are where you buy. Some say dips are where to sell. Some say buy low sell high. Others say buy high and sell higher. Everyone has a strategy but a few weeks does not define a trend in my book. I did hear that the Buffs were down also. Maybe it is just a cooling off period. Heck, even the stock market and real estate seems to be going down recently.
  • Options
    I would not be shocked to see Buchannons Liberty sell well or sell out and then price spike. I would not be shocked to see Lincolns wife sell well or sell out and then price spike. Many people are playing close attention to this series now and we may have seen the mintage bottom the first half of this year. Don't be shocked if Julia does in fact end up an enduring shallow key or semi key in this despised set. Julia is an attractive coin and she could end up one of if not THE rarest gold type coin issued by the US government from 1915 to 2015. She MAY be the 100 year queen.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file