Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as if anyone here needed the help...

but I'l post it anyway:

Proof Buchanan's Liberty

MS Buchanan's Liberty

There are no household order limits for the 2010 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Coins.

The Buchanan’s Liberty First Spouse Gold Coins have a maximum mintage of 15,000 across all product options. The ratio of proof coins to uncirculated coins will be determined by customer demand within the total maximum issuance of 15,000.

I hate to disagree with someone more knowledgable, but I predict "no sell out."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO, and not to offend any junior members,
    I predict a sellout at "anticipated demand"
    nevermind what the literature says
    be there early for yours if you want one
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some say the dips are where you buy. Some say dips are where to sell. Some say buy low sell high. Others say buy high and sell higher. Everyone has a strategy but a few weeks does not define a trend in my book. I did hear that the Buffs were down also. Maybe it is just a cooling off period. Heck, even the stock market and real estate seems to be going down recently. >>

Thanks folks for your responses to my Julia FS post. I only have one - an MS70FS. Kicking myself for not selling a couple of weeks ago when they were bringing over $3K. I knew that I'd be able to pick one up cheaper later (I personally don't care about FS, I'm talking about an non-FS 70 later) but...pigs get slaughtered... Arrgh.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>There's enough collector interest right now to keep 70FS coins above melt. >>

I have no doubt that they'll stay above melt, but just a couple of weeks ago they were around 5x melt. Just incredible.
  • Options

<< <i>as if anyone here needed the help...

but I'l post it anyway:

Proof Buchanan's Liberty

MS Buchanan's Liberty

There are no household order limits for the 2010 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Coins.

The Buchanan’s Liberty First Spouse Gold Coins have a maximum mintage of 15,000 across all product options. The ratio of proof coins to uncirculated coins will be determined by customer demand within the total maximum issuance of 15,000.

Notice I did not say that Buchannon will sell out but there are good reasons that it might. IF the coins are struck to expected demand they will be very good coins.....well we will have better data to work with shortly.

Ericj96
  • Options
    I will say it again-------

sellout.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I think they will sellout in the 2nd week. When the mint report comes out after the 1st week of sales, it will show very strong numbers which will cause a rush to get in before they're gone.
    Or, they could be gone after day one.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Watch the price of gold. The price of the Buchanan Libery gold coins may be headed higher from the US Mint after the first week of sales. This possibility happening may drive up initial Liberty sales. Comments ....
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I think I've found a thread that I can't kill. I will purchase both MS and Pr of Buchanan's Liberty. Where's the best place to find this series in OGP? I missed out on Washington, Adams, and others and would like to round out the collection. This is the U.S.Coin Forum and not the PM forum, isn't it?
    Paul
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Hi Eric for the welcome!! I have greatly enjoyed reading all of your great postings. Many thanks for sharing your insight. Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>Watch the price of gold. The price of the Buchanan Libery gold coins may be headed higher from the US Mint after the first week of sales. This possibility happening may drive up initial Liberty sales. Comments .... >>

I agree. I edited my post in the Buchanan's Liberty sellout thread.

the pricing grid shows that in both cases where the average is the same as the average before, there is no price change... no matter what the Wed. PM fix does. If gold continues higherthe week after prices could increase.

I'm advising those who are interested to buy early and not to wait.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I think I've found a thread that I can't kill. I will purchase both MS and Pr of Buchanan's Liberty. Where's the best place to find this series in OGP? I missed out on Washington, Adams, and others and would like to round out the collection. This is the U.S.Coin Forum and not the PM forum, isn't it? >>

It was either HRH or DW who very recently opined that the price of gold has an affect on us coins and is a valid on topic.

anyway, this thread has been a kind of a happy medium with the "this isn't the PM forum" people since the price of gold directly affects the price of modern releases. No one else has complained since the few hundred posts where I started reading.

thinking of buying this next "first spouse"? I suggest buying early, if you think the price of gold will continue to rise...
  • Options

<< <i>Where's the best place to find this series in OGP? >>

I've seen a couple of dealers at shows with OGPs... never asked what releases they had nor the price.

There are a couple of major dealers online that sometimes have them. perhaps someone here can remind us both...
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to dump three of my spare [raw] Dolley Madison proofs to defray the costs of a few Buchanan Liberty purchases.

Is there anything special I should know about the future potential of the Dolley coins that could/should change my mind?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I'm going to dump three of my spare [raw] Dolley Madison proofs to defray the costs of a few Buchanan Liberty purchases.

Is there anything special I should know about the future potential of the Dolley coins that could/should change my mind? >>

Just my opinion but the Dolleys will probably not do much. It was after her that the mintages started to really decline and those will always outperform her IMO. Someone a few posts up wanted some of the early ones raw. She is definitely a p.m. play.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think I'm going to dump three of my spare [raw] Dolley Madison proofs to defray the costs of a few Buchanan Liberty purchases.

Is there anything special I should know about the future potential of the Dolley coins that could/should change my mind? >>

Just my opinion but the Dolleys will probably not do much. It was after her that the mintages started to really decline and those will always outperform her IMO. Someone a few posts up wanted some of the early ones raw. She is definitely a p.m. play. >>

Agree, though as a subject she's undoubtedly one of the most interesting spouses.

As for OGP, check APMEX. They seem to sell the coins in whatever packaging they receive them. Would surprise me if you couldn't find these on eBay fairly easily, too.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    <<Agree, though as a subject she's undoubtedly one of the most interesting spouses. >>

Well...as my high school history teacher used to joke, "She'll always be remembered for saving the ice cream formula from the British in 1812!"

• Options
    CONGRATS to Eric for the great article mentioning him and his book on P. 6 of the Aug. 31 NN!!

On another subject, discussed in the letters, WHY is the Mint not selling the 5 oz. ATB silvers direct instead of only to the Authorized Distributors?? These are COLLECTOR pieces. What's going on?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their legislation calls for bullion 5 oz'ers. Sales channels accordingly.

Now the proof versions ... are a different matter.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MEANWHILE . . .

Latest sales report, with one day to go:

2009 Sarah Polk, Proof 5,060
    2009 Sarah Polk, Uncirculated 3,395

It's not going to be the key, but still a low mintage and a reasonable buy at less than 25% above bullion price.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes Sarah #3 for low mintage, If I read the numbers correctly. Hmmmm.

Somehow, I don't think there will be a rush on her considering the option. No 'dis to Ms. Sarah.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Their legislation calls for bullion 5 oz'ers. Sales channels accordingly.

Now the proof versions ... are a different matter. >>

yup.

I heard they are having trouble with the minting machinery and there is no release date yet.

the law also states these must be sold in the same year as the real quarters.

this could get fun.
  • Options

<< <i>Their legislation calls for bullion 5 oz'ers. Sales channels accordingly.

Now the proof versions ... are a different matter. >>

There are proof versions?
  • Options
    Moy has been reported as musing about making non-bullion versions.

nothing official.

seeing as how they can't get the bullion out, I'd have to wonder if they'd even attempt a proof.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the info Ms M. !
  • Options
    Just bought 2 Proof & 2 Unc Buchanans...no problems at all...hard to believe this was the Mint website.

And four Dolley Madisons will be going to the melting pot to pay for them!
  • Options
    I placed two separate Buc. Lib. orders each for one proof and one unc. at 1:30 and 1:31 (as fast as I could place them one after the next). There were 12 orders between them in one minutes time.

The cancel boxes are still there. Will decide tomorrow whether to cancel an order.

Who ordered??

I'm surprised how quiet that this thread is on the subject....
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a forum dedicated to these running also, with alot of replies.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    I`m in #35239xxx at 12:56 10) Unc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on those forums. I did notice them and replied to them. This thread usually is active when the Libs. are issued.
  • Options
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Coin World dated 9/20/2010 reports that American Gold Eagle Proofs in all four sizes will be minted and sold in October 2010.

The 2010 AGE Proofs to be minted include 39,000 four coin sets.

Reported mintage will be 1oz (64,000) , 1/2 oz (54,000), 1/4 oz (55,000) and 1/10 oz (66,000). All numbers include the 39,000 to be included in the four coin sets.

Prices to be determined the Wednesday before the sale.

(Mintage for 1oz was corrected to 64,000).
  • Options

<< <i>Coin World dated 9/20/2010 reports that American Gold Eagle Proofs in all four sizes will be minted and sold in October 2010.

Reported mintage will be 1oz (84,000) , 1/2 oz (54,000), 1/4 oz (55,000) and 1/10 oz (66,000). All numbers include the 39,000 to be included in the four coin sets.

Prices to be determined the Wednesday before the sale. >>

At the current gold price ($1249), the Mint will sell one-ounce proofs at $1485.

Common date proofs are currently bringing over $1700 on eBay.

I predict a fast sellout unless order limits are imposed.

• Options
    It will be interesting to see whether the ebay premium holds once the 2010 proofs are released - I would not be surprised if it does even though it would make no sense. They seem like a flipper no-brainer. Who's ordering???
  • Options

<< <i>It will be interesting to see whether the ebay premium holds once the 2010 proofs are released - I would not be surprised if it does even though it would make no sense. They seem like a flipper no-brainer. Who's ordering??? >>

I have heard the reasons some would not buy from the Mint but seems most would for the savings and eBay would be a slow flip at that price raw.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Reported mintage will be 1oz (84,000) , 1/2 oz (54,000), 1/4 oz (55,000) and 1/10 oz (66,000). All numbers include the 39,000 to be included in the four coin sets.
    >>

I will also be interested in ordering a few. However, I have a second thought and would like to see what other thinks.

84,000 1oz would make it the fourth most common 1ozer. This number is quite a lot compared to recent years' sales.
    Even with an initial spike of say 40,000 sold in the first few days (like 2009 UHR), how long does it takes to consume all the inventory?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Did the article say anything about the silver proofs or the gold uncirculated? Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

I will also be interested in ordering a few. However, I have a second thought and would like to see what other thinks.

84,000 1oz would make it the fourth most common 1ozer. This number is quite a lot compared to recent years' sales.
    Even with an initial spike of say 40,000 sold in the first few days (like 2009 UHR), how long does it takes to consume all the inventory? >>

Without order limits, I think they would go in a hurry. There is no date-related premium on any of the one-ounce proofs. Even the ultra-common 1986-W proof (mintage 446K) is fetching over $1700 raw in true auctions.

Unless demand drops for other reasons, I don't see how adding 84,000 one-ounce coins to the existing stockpile of over 1,400,000 will make a huge difference in price. If the Mint is willing to sell the 2010-W for 12% less than the market price, there are likely enough deep pocketed collectors and flippers to deplete its inventory in short order.

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did the article say anything about the silver proofs or the gold uncirculated? Thanks >>

Text >>

There was no mention in the Coin World regarding 2010 ASE Proofs or 2010 AGE Uncs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Did the article say anything about the silver proofs or the gold uncirculated? Thanks >>

Text >>

There was no mention in the Coin World regarding 2010 ASE Proofs or 2010 AGE Uncs. >>

The range of AGE Unc. coins has already been made this year.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Text >>

There was no mention in the Coin World regarding 2010 ASE Proofs or 2010 AGE Uncs. >>

The range of AGE Unc. coins has already been made this year. >>

Probably talking about the W Uncs.
  • Options
    I think the reference was to 2010-W burnished AGEs.

The Coin World article did mention that Silver Eagle demand was still outstripping production, so no ASEs this year unless Congress permits it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Even with an initial spike of say 40,000 sold in the first few days (like 2009 UHR), how long does it takes to consume all the inventory? >>

image I may buy a 1 oz and 1/2 just to collect. May be able to make money in the near term flipping but, IMHO, long term cannot see much potential with the mintage numbers if they are correct. I have developed a fear of selling any high priced items on Ebay and that seems to be where the money is being made.
  • Options
    The higher priced stuff is the only thing, IMHO, that is worth the hassle of selling on Ebay. I've been selling higher priced moderns on Ebay for about 3 yerars. For much of that time I was a "PowerSeller". I never had any problems. That said, we've all read the horror stories on this board so it may be just luck that I have not been hosed yet. All in all, I've been able to make some very good $$ doing so.
  • Options
    Premiums for the AGE proofs will drop very soon-- if not already with this announcement.

The only reason they were so high is because of the lack of Proof Gold AGE's for precious metal IRA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Premiums for the AGE proofs will drop very soon-- if not already with this announcement.

The only reason they were so high is because of the lack of Proof Gold AGE's for precious metal IRA's. >>

I always don't understand this point about the IRA's driving up the price of Proof AGE.

To my understanding, both bullion and proof AGE can be put into an IRA account. So why is proof AGE so desirable for IRA?
    I thought people want PM in their IRA so they can diversify their profolio, so the bullion AGE should do the job. What am I missing?

My second question would be if proof is really more desirable, why hasn't the proof AGB price also gone up too?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>Coin World dated 9/20/2010 reports that American Gold Eagle Proofs in all four sizes will be minted and sold in October 2010.

Prices to be determined the Wednesday before the sale. >>

I think you have a typo there in the number of 1Oz AGEs. The Coin World report actually states that 64,000 1-Ounce coins will be produced. This will still make it the fourth highest mintage right below the initial release years of '86-'88. However, I believe these will sellout quickly.

Coin World

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options

<< <i>Premiums for the AGE proofs will drop very soon-- if not already with this announcement.

The only reason they were so high is because of the lack of Proof Gold AGE's for precious metal IRA's. >>

............................................................................................................................................................................

We all advised everyone to sell 6-12 months ago.
  • Options
    << I always don't understand this point about the IRA's driving up the price of Proof AGE. To my understanding, both bullion and proof AGE can be put into an IRA account. So why is proof AGE so desirable for IRA? I thought people want PM in their IRA so they can diversify their profolio, so the bullion AGE should do the job. What am I missing? >>

I believe the reason is that some people consider the proofs less likely to be confiscated by the government, if and when such an event ever occurs.

<< My second question would be if proof is really more desirable, why hasn't the proof AGB price also gone up too? >>

Under current legislation, I don't believe that gold buffalos are eligible for inclusion in IRAs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file