Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8000!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a good deal for someone (especially after Bing Cashback and BigCrumbs/eBates)

Jackson NGC MS69 on eBay

PS: It's not mine. >>

I think that Sat. is the last day for CashBack - BUMMER!!!!!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>8000! >>

Such a fantastic thread!! It would be great to have the whole thing in book form. Really a fantastic, contemporary resource.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>8000! >>

Such a fantastic thread!! It would be great to have the whole thing in book form. Really a fantastic, contemporary resource. >>

I agree, a lot of great information and many good tips! Speaking of which, anyone hear anything about when the 5 oz. silvers will be coming out and if the mint will issue any collectors versions?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinNews.net says a little over a week for last year's Platinum Proof sell out

talking about 2008:

<< <i>The US Mint sold just 4,769 of the one ounce proof coins during all of last year. >>

I predict another fast sell out.

Last Year's price was $1792 for the duration. It went on sale Dec. 3rd and went off sale in the wee early hours of Dec. 14th.
    (I have filled orders and "no longer avail." orders to confirm price and dates)

the best I can tell from the Mint's pricing grid and kitco.com, platinum was in the 1450-1550 range last year.

currently, it is in the 1550+ range... which would make the coin $100 more expensive than last year.

a BIG PostScript: the Mint has their New and Improved 'Pricing Criteria' on page 1 of the pricing grid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>a BIG PostScript: the Mint has their New and Improved 'Pricing Criteria' on page 1 of the pricing grid. >>

and a nice little footnote of their own:

<< <i>Note: The United States Mint reserves the right to discontinue sale of gold numismatic
    products in the event that the selling price of United States Mint gold bullion products
    begin approaching the sale price of the gold numismatic products.
    >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>a BIG PostScript: the Mint has their New and Improved 'Pricing Criteria' on page 1 of the pricing grid. >>

and a nice little footnote of their own:

<< <i>Note: The United States Mint reserves the right to discontinue sale of gold numismatic
    products in the event that the selling price of United States Mint gold bullion products
    begin approaching the sale price of the gold numismatic products.
    >>

>>

That little footnote certainly makes it more interesting given the potential to pull it with low mintages. However, if it sells out in a week or so being pulled early with low numbers seems unlikely. Thanks for the info!!
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    The 2010 Platinum eagle one ounce proof is already for sale on Ebay, for $2650 or best offer. The seller was in such a hurry to be the first to list that he wrote persale instead of the intended presale. Ebay item link
  • Options
    $100 over melt for a PCGS MS70 FS 2010 Buffalo at AMPEX. Not bad if your looking for one, or even if you were not looking for one.

buff
  • Options
    NumisNumis Posts: 160
    Thanks for the heads up Timber!
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    Julia Tyler PCGS MS70 sells on E-bay for $2,600.00 --- NGC Sells for $ 1,474.01 What a difference !!!image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Julia Tyler PCGS MS70 sells on E-bay for $2,600.00 --- NGC Sells for $ 1,474.01 What a difference !!!image >>

A PCGS PR70DCAM Julia (non-First Strike) recently brought $2,501, compared to a PCGS PR69DCAM First Strike at only $995.

This is a 2.5 to 1 price ratio between the two grades!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Agree the 2008-W $10 is going to continue to rise for some time. I still haven't heard a satisfactory explanation for why the 2006-2008-w gold eagles are so popular right now, though. Promotions, or are there really that many collectors out there?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric's book (of course) helped with the unc W AGE's. They are obvious winners -- I'm surprised it took this long to start to blossom.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Agree the 2008-W $10 is going to continue to rise for some time. I still haven't heard a satisfactory explanation for why the 2006-2008-w gold eagles are so popular right now, though. Promotions, or are there really that many collectors out there? >>

I wish I knew the reason for the rise as well since that might help predict whether prices of the 2006-2008W gold eagles will keep rising. It's a good sign when you see dealers on the BST buying these.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$100 over melt for a PCGS MS70 FS 2010 Buffalo at AMPEX. Not bad if your looking for one, or even if you were not looking for one.

buff >>

Got the email from APMEX yesterday & my compulsive buying habit decided "must have one..to good to pass up".image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$100 over melt for a PCGS MS70 FS 2010 Buffalo at AMPEX. Not bad if your looking for one, or even if you were not looking for one.

buff >>

He who hesitated on this deal...lost out. It took less then 2 days to sell out this product.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    According to this week's Coin World, the Mint anticipates that it can strike no more than 500,000 of the 5-ounce silver bullion America the Beautiful quarters by the end of this year. With 5 different designs to be released, this means the series key (whichever design it turns out to be) will have a mintage of 100,000 or less.

If the Mint releases them to bullion dealers at a modest markup to melt, I think it's likely that prices for at least some of these coins will spike quickly in the secondary market. A 100,000 mintage would be less than the mintage of all but two of the Silver Eagles (the 1995-W and the 2008-W reverse of 2007). I expect the number of 2010-dated bullion quarters will fall well short of demand, even if the series is only mildly popular. The 2010 issues have a good chance of becoming the keys to the entire series, since the low mintage is being caused in part by having only a few months to strike all five designs. Future issues could probably be released in larger quantities, since the Mint would have all year to strike them.

Thoughts?

• Options

<< <i>According to this week's Coin World, the Mint anticipates that it can strike no more than 500,000 of the 5-ounce silver bullion America the Beautiful quarters by the end of this year. With 5 different designs to be released, this means the series key (whichever design it turns out to be) will have a mintage of 100,000 or less.

If the Mint releases them to bullion dealers at a modest markup to melt, I think it's likely that prices for at least some of these coins will spike quickly in the secondary market. A 100,000 mintage would be less than the mintage of all but two of the Silver Eagles (the 1995-W and the 2008-W reverse of 2007). I expect the number of 2010-dated bullion quarters will fall well short of demand, even if the series is only mildly popular. The 2010 issues have a good chance of becoming the keys to the entire series, since the low mintage is being caused in part by having only a few months to strike all five designs. Future issues could probably be released in larger quantities, since the Mint would have all year to strike them.

Thoughts? >>

Sorry, slightly off topic - but does anyone know if PCGS are going to have a special oversize holder for these 5oz coins?
  • Options
    deleted, sorry, double post
  • Options
    I plan on buying some if the price is reasonable, which I think it will be. As Overdate indicated, it should be a short year for strikes. Next year should be very interesting if the mint comes out with proofs and uncircs.
  • Options
    Overdate: It would make sense that 2010 would be a "bottleneck" year due to the limited mintage time.
    PLUS - historically, the first year issue is often the most popular with changing reverse types.

These will have a great curiosity factor once they hit mainstream -- which translates into "want".

I posed this question on another thread of this subject:

with that low mintage what is to stop these dealers from charging and arm and a leg ?

This does pose a question: Has there been any other "bullion" mint coin that the mint distributors
    sold out quickly -- or was a perceived low mintage that generated inflated "wholesale" prices?

The 2009 fractional AGEs were in great demand initially, but prices seemed to stay "typical".
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>According to this week's Coin World, the Mint anticipates that it can strike no more than 500,000 of the 5-ounce silver bullion America the Beautiful quarters by the end of this year. With 5 different designs to be released, this means the series key (whichever design it turns out to be) will have a mintage of 100,000 or less.

Thoughts? >>

These will be kind of an odd-ball issue if you ask me and will not be worth much more than bullion value unless the mintages are less than 20K IMO. They will be kind of bulky and I am not sure many will want many coins the size of a hockey puck. They would be an interesting way to buy silver if that is what you want though.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I might buy one of each the first year to see what they look like. If I decide not to keep them, I'm sure I will be able to get rid of them.
  • Options
    WHAT THE ??

$5,295 for a Julia PCGS FS PR70!! Several big sales today -- WOW. A second one a few minutes later for $4299. Several Letitias too.

eBay link
  • Options
    Speechless.

What are the pops of the PCGS FS Proof and MS Julias?

Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>WHAT THE ??

$5,295 for a Julia PCGS FS PR70!! Several big sales today -- WOW. A second one a few minutes later for $4299. Several Letitias too.

eBay link >>

Meanwhile, several Julia PCGS FS PR69's have recently sold for less than $1000 each. That's a *huge* premium for a 70!

• Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>WHAT THE ??

eBay link >>

Meanwhile, several Julia PCGS FS PR69's have recently sold for less than $1000 each. That's a *huge* premium for a 70! >>

Idiots, playing the registry game. A fool and his money are soon parted.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Eric...

I just traded some commom date proof plats for some of the lower pop coins you highlighted in your book...

So if this doesn't work out, I'm telling my wife it's your fault!!!

• Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-W-Julia-Tyler-PCGS-MS70-FIRST-STRIKE-Spouse-10-/160464577157?pt=Coins_US_Individual

Julia PCGS MS70FS sold for $3500 BIN. Just keep going up. I think that the buyers are nuts - taking a HUGE gamble on these things. I just bring myself to pull the trigger to sell my last one. At these prices should be a no-brainier. Is there any upwards potential left? Seems like an insane bubble/feeding frenzy on these. Unreal.
  • Options

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-W-Julia-Tyler-PCGS-MS70-FIRST-STRIKE-Spouse-10-/160464577157?pt=Coins_US_Individual

Julia PCGS MS70FS sold for $3500 BIN. Just keep going up. I think that the buyers are nuts - taking a HUGE gamble on these things. I just bring myself to pull the trigger to sell my last one. At these prices should be a no-brainier. Is there any upwards potential left? Seems like an insane bubble/feeding frenzy on these. Unreal. >>

I agree, if I had been smart enough to buy one I would be selling now. When the spouses first came out most were bashing them and I decided I would collect the liberty subset and JFKs wife and that would be it. I do not understand at all why the Julia is selling at such a price.

linky to sale
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>WHAT THE ??

eBay link >>

Yup looks like a BIN with 3 avail, 3 sold.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At these prices should be a no-brainier. Is there any upwards potential left? Seems like an insane bubble/feeding frenzy on these. Unreal.

The hope for owning the key is the ultimate score, isn't it? The series isn't yet 4 years old and the speculation is now full blown. It's especially prevalent because there aren't many other potential high value speculations available from the Mint right now.

The low mintage of these issues may be self-propagating now as more buyers keep an eye on the mintages and decide to pile in whenever the mintage is low and the coin is about to go off sale.

Still, there's another 6 years to go, and alot can happen in the meantime.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    over $10k per ounce?

wow.

I hope they are spending money they won't miss.

• Options
    It helps that the current key is one of the more attractive Spouse coins.

I still think the proof Julia will trade higher than the uncirculated in the long run.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It helps that the current key is one of the more attractive Spouse coins.

I still think the proof Julia will trade higher than the uncirculated in the long run. >>

That may be for the PCGS 70 fs but I don't think it applies to raw. It is because of the populations. It is harder to get a proof in 70 than a mint state 70.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I'm thinking that the proof Julia will eventually trade higher than the uncirculated, regardless of grade. The two finishes are already about equal in price.

The proofs are much more attractive, and the ratio of proofs to uncircs is about 3/2 - much closer than normal. I think that speculators, for the most part, went for the uncircs and ignored the proofs. I expect that collector preferences will go in the opposite direction.

• Options
    I'm sure that most of you caught the article in the Aug. 10 NN "Proof Eagles ready to take flight?" on P. 8. In article the author notes that in the TBD section of The Mint's 2010 product schedule are proof and "W" unc. ASEs and AGEs. What do you think that this will do to the vaunted 2008 W AGEs? Time to unload them at the already very hefty profit?? Will the 2008 W $10 AGE remain king??? I didn't think that the W uncs would back.
  • Options
    What are the pops of the PCGS FS Proof and MS Julias in 70?

Thanks!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure that most of you caught the article in the Aug. 10 NN "Proof Eagles ready to take flight?" on P. 8. In article the author notes that in the TBD section of The Mint's 2010 product schedule are proof and "W" unc. ASEs and AGEs. What do you think that this will do to the vaunted 2008 W AGEs? Time to unload them at the already very hefty profit?? Will the 2008 W $10 AGE remain king??? I didn't think that the W uncs would back. >>

If I recall correctly, the $50 one-ounce is the only uncirculated "W" gold eagle in the Mint's plans going forward. The fractionals are toast.

• Options
    If I recall correctly, the $50 one-ounce is the only uncirculated "W" gold eagle in the Mint's plans going forward. The fractionals are toast. >>

Thats the last info I had. $50 unc gold should be back as will the ASE unc W.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I feel a lot better now...
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking that the proof Julia will eventually trade higher than the uncirculated, regardless of grade. The two finishes are already about equal in price.

The proofs are much more attractive, and the ratio of proofs to uncircs is about 3/2 - much closer than normal. I think that speculators, for the most part, went for the uncircs and ignored the proofs. I expect that collector preferences will go in the opposite direction. >>

I've thought this since seeing the Jefferson Liberty proof, a truly gorgeous coin. The uncs just look flat to me.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    The Julia Tyler will be the lowest mintage to date. Sarah Polk which goes off sale Sept. 3 is now at 3235. The unexpected pulling of the Tylers caused this low mintage. If the mint decides to pull more in the future before a year is up from the initial sales date, it may cause even lower mintages than the Tyler. Though it looks like everyone is watching these like a hawk especially the dealers I am sure.
  • Options
    Great work Eric
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, she is dangerous 2manycoins!

As far as the Julia mintage, what is left to say?

It is the lowest for UNC and Proof, it has the best appearance (so far), and it is GOLD.

AND she is not Platinum, which still struggles at similar mintage numbers.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great work Eric >>

Allow me to be the first... imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file