Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>08/12/2010 - 2010 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin: Preamble Series

what are the chances they up the mintage limit?

I'm thinking 100%. >>

I really enjoy your posts....but your Avitars just freak me out :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What I like about the Plats are they aren't heavy dealer involved. The coins you see are for the most part in the hands of collectors not speculators while many of the gold issues there are speculators buying 50 or 100 items. The cost of the coins cost some good money but really folks the 1/4 ouncers can be had for $450ish on most dates with the 04 costing the most at present. The 1/10 ounce most are around $200ish with the 04 being the most at 600 to 700 if your not after the PCGS 70. Most can afford them and they are overlooked at present. Nice coins nice designs which is more than I can say for any current series. With the current PM element their a real bargin with enough coins produced and about the right number of years produced that you can actually afford to build a set. As a set I'd take these over any AGE set that all look the same. I think the beauty will be discovered in these coins in the future and the sure are fun to look at, I LIKE MINE RAW IN THE REAL BOX as with all moderns. No 70 hunter here but I do have some since they really don't cost that much more with the more common coins. I'd love to pass this set to my grand kids to see where they are when their old/ >>

I'm with you on the OGP. I'm building the $50 set and love them in their original boxes. I'm not convinced these are ever going to take off, but suspect they will at some point. >>

good luck on some of the more recent $50 APE in original boxes. They hardly sold any of the 2004-2008 as single $50 coins. I know the numbers are somewhere in this thread, but I'm not searching for them. I just scanned Eric Jordan's book and I didn't see numbers of 4 coin sets sold. Hopefully the singles in boxes will eventually carry a premium since I bought an extra of a few of the years. 08, 06 and 05 I think
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << good luck on some of the more recent $50 APE in original boxes. They hardly sold any of the 2004-2008 as single $50 coins. I know the numbers are somewhere in this thread, but I'm not searching for them. I just scanned Eric Jordan's book and I didn't see numbers of 4 coin sets sold. Hopefully the singles in boxes will eventually carry a premium since I bought an extra of a few of the years. 08, 06 and 05 I think >>

A majority (1,989) of the 2006-W burnished plats were sold as 4-coin sets. Going by official mintages, this means that only 588 half-ounce $50, and 687 quarter-ounce $25, were sold in individual boxes. I think the individual boxes themselves will eventually carry a premium, if they don't already.

I believe the number of coins sold in individual boxes was higher for the 2008-W burnished plats, with around 1,300 sold as 4-coin sets.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Can I come over and help you the next time you clean?image Nice findsimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!!!!!

I love spring cleaning when it reveals hidden treasures!

OK, honestly, I am not spamming. I found some stuff I forget about, and I am asking your honest opinion about how to receive best value.

All of the below is in mint sealed shipping boxes, confirmed by the order number on the box matching the actual order.

Two 2008 W Gold 1/4 oz Proof Buffs in a single box

Four 2008 W Gold 1/4 oz MS Buffs in two boxes....two coins in each box

One 2008 W Platinum $50 MS in a single box

One 2008 W Platinum 4 coin MS set

FloridaBill >>

................................................................................................................

Regardless of how you feel about First Strike labels, the fact is money is money and if dates on boxes are eligible for FS labels then the premium for FS labels on some of those justifies sending them in for FS labels..............then off to Ebay!!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love finding things you forgot you had! This happens to me all the time--one of the bonuses of getting older!

Re: OGP. I am fortunate to have gotten the tougher dates in OGP, but you can never be sure about these things. If I decide to try to put together a 1/4-ounce set, I know it'll be even harder.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, OGP, you know me to paraphrase the popular song....I love them too!

They are getting harder and harder to get it seems and if I had the money I would get the 1/4 oz series. Got the 08w proof 1/4 by miracle and want more....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First Spouse prices at the Mint have dropped, now $741 for uncirculated and $754 for proofs. >>

Yes, and the Gold Buffalo dropped to $1460. Time to order for me.....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm that the 2006 $25 w platinum is the lowest mintage of the 2006-2008 w platinum series for the $25. Numismaticnews had the final mintages of the 2008W MS $25 at around 3400.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Is the 2006 $25 W platinum the lowest mintage of the $25s in the 2006-2008 series.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    2006-2008w unc plat numbers

............1oz.....1/2oz....1/4....1/10
    2006 w 3,068 2,577 2,676 3,544
    2007 w 4,025 3,888 3,829 5,992
    2008 w 2,876 2,253 2,481 3,706

I haven't seen the Numismatic News you're referring to, but these are the 2006-2008 w platinum numbers I have.

According to the Mint's figures, 2008w inched out 2006w ms plats for all except the $10 coin
    Dan
  • Options
    Something to consider...............

Will the upcoming 1099 reporting requirement for coin dealer purchases of $600+ coins/bullion drive more people to fractional gold and platinum and away from 1/2 and in particular 1 oz. coins??

Without getting into politics or IRS debates lets just assume the law stands. I believe it is not unreasonable to think that at least some gold and platinum bullion buyers would like to continue the ability to interchange their bullion for paper money and vice versa without reporting requirements.

That said if reporting gets to be a serious, regularly enforced requirement I can see at least a few people on the margins prefering to hold 1/10, 1/4 oz. pieces rather than 1 oz. coins.
  • Options
    If gold passes $2,400 per ounce the reporting requirements will apply for a single 1/4 ounce gold bullion coin.

If gold passes $6,000 per ounce the reporting requirements will apply for a single 1/10 ounce gold bullion coin.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1099 reporting requirement is for business to business.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see at least a few people on the margins prefering to hold 1/10, 1/4 oz. pieces rather than 1 oz. coins.

If the new 1099 requirement is implemented and vigorously enforced, you might assume that more resistance will materialize - both against the reporting requirement and against the blithering idiots with marginal law degrees that wrote it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say I got Eric's book yesterday and it is awesome! If you haven't purchased it yet, you need to. For 15 some dollars, you can't go wrong. Nice job Eric!
  • Options
    $2610 for a PCGS Julia MS70 FS in a true auction. HOLY COW!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260636952388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Mintage for the 2008-w $25 Plat Unc is 2,481 - lowest of the 3 year series ($25 Unc's)
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than four 2008-W $10 AGE 1/4 oz for sale on ebay right now. These are selling for hundreds more than greysheet ask prices at the momment.
    I wonder where the top will be for these.....$1,600? Or maybe even $2,000+?
  • Options
    Clearly - that is a ebay phenomenon.....retail++++++++++++

Haven't heard of any interest by dealers north of greysheet pricing.

ebay is great for selling a few pieces - any more than that, and you are aware of what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>Haven't heard of any interest by dealers north of greysheet pricing. >>

That is correct, but greysheet pricing is in for some increases with this coin. Just wait and see, the 2008-W AGE $10 will be at $1,300 to $1,400 greysheet bid at some point.imho
    The 2008-W $10 AGE burnished mintage is low enough to be bought up by the market players and cornered or manipulated.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$2610 for a PCGS Julia MS70 FS in a true auction. HOLY COW!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260636952388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

I can't help but think this is extremely foolish to spend this type of money at this point in the game. There are waaaay too many issues to come yet for the price spike that is showing up for the recent issues. But... perhaps the buyers truly know what they are doing....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    I have Purchased Multiples for each First Spouse uncirculated Gold since the Mint first issued them in 2007. all the sold out Spouses Sell for a profit. "No exceptions" some early ones because melt value has risen to make them profitable, others because of low mintage. However you look at it they are a profitable series to own or collect !!! image
  • Options

<< <i>I have Purchased Multiples for each First Spouse uncirculated Gold since the Mint first issued them in 2007. all the sold out Spouses Sell for a profit. "No exceptions" some early ones because melt value has risen to make them profitable, others because of low mintage. However you look at it they are a profitable series to own or collect !!! image >>

I sold a Martha PCGS Proof 70 FS at the last Balto. show for straight melt after being unable to sell it on the BST. After grading, not much made on that one. Of course, some of the more recent ones are a very different story....

• Options

<< <i>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260636952388&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

I can't help but think this is extremely foolish to spend this type of money at this point in the game. There are waaaay too many issues to come yet for the price spike that is showing up for the recent issues. But... perhaps the buyers truly know what they are doing.... >>

I agree!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another similar Julia sold today for $2600...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Just remember, most dealers make sure to check the current "bid" is good by making sure the couple market makers still have current offers in place, especially in many of these "rare" AGE's, Buffalo's, etc.

once those current market makers/parties bids evaporate, so do the dealer buys. I'm sure if you have been around this game awhile you will recognize that there have been many times greysheet bid has been run up several hundred dollars and only to see there are no buyers at the top?
  • Options
    Seeing Opportunity in our time.

Well respected collectors and numismatic commentators such as David Bowers and David Hall have publicly voiced concerns about the graying of our fine hobby and among certain series the aging of the collector base is likely a justifiable concern but there are two important bright spots on the horizon whose impact will likely be felt for the next 30 years or more and the direction they carry the market may not be obvious at first glance.

The US Mint is successfully using circulating collector series like the Fifty States Quarters, National Parks Quarters, Presidential Dollars, Native American Dollars, Westward Journey Nickels and Life of Lincoln Cents to develop a new generation of collectors. The Mint has estimated that 100 million US citizens have or do collect these changing design series in various forms. That’s staggering market exposure by almost any measure and even if the number is a little optimistic its training new collectors to expect a high level of design differentiation in their sets. Much of the world has a design and denomination rich coinage history to draw from that stretches over thousands of years. They tend to stress collecting by type as a result.

It takes time for new collecting habits to show up in the broader market just as it took about 40 years or one generation for collecting by date to fully give way to collecting by date and mint mark. Similar changes are afoot now and it’s showing up clearly in silver proof Washington quarters because they have had a little time to mature. The present market value of the 800 thousand 1999 silver proof sets is roughly equal to that of every silver proof quarter issued from 1936 to 1998 combined with an eagle on the reverse. If the new design based quarter collectors were migrating back to pick up the early date based issues they should be trading at an all time high indexed to inflation but nothing could be further from the truth. Even America with its short coinage history and intentionally design static series has walked this road before. Oregon Trail, Arkansas, Texas and Washington Halves enjoy about the same number of series members as the $2.5 gold Indians do but their extremely low mintage key dates never developed the way they should have because they were lost in a sea of design change that we call type collecting. We don’t want series we collect by date and mintmark to become collected by type.

Another source of collector growth is the publics justifiable desire to own hard assets that are not paper promises issued by governments whose long term financial commitments are nothing short of frightening. Silver gold and platinum eagles have been flying out of the Mint at an astounding rate lately into the hands of the public and many of these individuals are buying every year. We don’t start collecting something until we have one of them. Buffalo gold buyers for example that already have part of their savings in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 $50 issues are prime candidates to want at least one 2006 and 2008-w to go with them. Massive attractive populations in the hands of the public are a gift to any set because they are silent series advertisements that have the tendency to develop collector followings. Static design series that can be completed and have massive series populations will likely pull through the design tsunami successfully.

If you look over coinage history its clear that the greatest collecting opportunities tend to present themselves when a newly struck extremely low mintage type coin or a very low population member of a massive series with significant public exposure showed up. A couple dozen coins issued by the US Mint in the last 15 years fit this description exactly and are moving from their infancy into the rapid growth phase of their life cycle. At the time of series maturity over half of the entire series value is contained in the four rarest coins in the set. The time to pick tomorrow’s great key dates is while they are trading well below the 50 to 100 times melt commonly seen in mature series.

Yes collecting will pull through just fine and part of the fun is learning to see great coins before they have great prices to go along with them and are still low risk.

GOING TO PRINT IN NUMISMATIC NEWS JULY 10TH.
  • Options
    Real Term Growth

Even those of us that collect strictly for the fun of it have the tendency to be concerned about the price performance of our collections not only because its fun to beat the market but also many of us have a significant portion of our savings in our collections.

As we are all fully aware the value attributed to any coin we chose to buy or collect is dependent primary on two components. The first is the face or melt value of the coin that serves as its unquestioned long-term value floor and the second is its numismatic premium. Its this premium that frequently carries better date coins price to 10-100+ times its base worth by the time it matures. Over the last 15 years most major classes of classic coinage covered by the PCGS 3000 have done poorly when indexed to constant dollars or any of the precious metals they have a history of being struck on. There are a few exceptions to this but they tend to be ULTRA RARE headline coins that come to market infrequently. Why is this the case?

By and large the values we see in the price guides are a direct reflection of the disposable income of US citizens and their interest in any given series. If anything were to happen to change how the typical collector puts together sets or reduce real disposable income, the current real term drift in high multiple of melt valuations could accelerate. Richard Nachbar a very respected high dollar numismatics dealer has been running one page adds in coinage magazines for several years suggesting that his clients exit high valuation numismatics and buy precious metals to replace them specifically because he is concerned about real disposable income in the United States going forward. The record over the last 10 years proves that he has been giving his clients sound advice.

Numismatic authors have correctly told us over the years that the rare issues in any series have a tendency to appreciate much faster than the common dates do until the series matures but they don’t bother to tell us that most of the time series are mature in real terms within 30-50 years after they are no long available from the government. Sky-high markups over intrinsic value for series keys and semi keys discourage new collectors from starting the series in question. It’s probably the combination of high cost, falling real disposable income and attrition that’s showing up in PCGS’s valuation composites indexed to inflation.

The flip side of this scenario is the modern eagles. Series collectors of these coins typically have about 70 percent of their sets purchase price backed by precious metal content and their very young keys and semi keys are still trading for 2-4 times melt in most cases. This combination of attractive high grade sets with high money content (yes the precious metals are a form of cash), multi million total series populations out building collector base for the sets and key dates that produce amazingly tight bottlenecks is driving their keys price behavior.

These low risk high material content series with relatively inexpensive keys whose mintages run in the 2,200-10,000 coin range are absorbing new collectors at a rapid rate and its showing up in the number of moderns being encapsulated by the grading services and key issue bid prices. Ultimately its collector base expansion in a price range they can afford or feel comfortable paying that drives numismatic premium growth. Silver, gold and platinum eagles are a land of opportunity and their keys have a LONG way to go before they top out over the next 30 years. Just as wise collectors 80 years ago took an early interest in the wonderful modern coins in production from 1906 to 1936 we need open minds to see the opportunities present in our lifetime, for they are many.

GOING TO PRINT IN NUMISMATIC NEWS JULY 17TH.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I can't help but think this is extremely foolish to spend this type of money at this point in the game. There are waaaay too many issues to come yet for the price spike that is showing up for the recent issues. But... perhaps the buyers truly know what they are doing.... >>

Everytime you buy something that you hope to sell in the future there is a risk. The buyers at this level are making a gamble that this is the low water mark. Some people just love to gamble. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. You can only decide for yourself. Someone's folly could be someones great investment. After all, the Alaska purchase was looked upon as a great foolish waste of money at the time.

Also consider this. Even if the Julia is not the low water mark, her numbers are very low still and that practical scarcity will not change so it is possible that in the long haul these values will hold or even rise no matter what happens later.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Eric-

Thanks very much for your very thoughtful and interesting posts!!

Ron
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don’t start collecting something until we have one of them.

And that, my friend is the short & long of it.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    You liked that...... :-)

Guys help me out, what is the NGC-70 pop on 1991 $10 mint state gold eagles?

Thanks

Eric
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭

The
    Collection Manager

The industry’s most efficient and powerful collection management tool is almost here. Soon you'll be able to manage your entire collection online, in one place, for free — as a member of the NGC Collectors Society.

The site is down while Collection Manager goes live. Please check back at 5:30 p.m. Eastern

As soon as the site is accessible I will research that number for you.image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Eric,

Picked up your book last night. Skimmed through it and it looks great! I look forward to digesting all of its information!

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You liked that...... :-)

Thanks

Eric >>

• Options
    I only find one single 2008 W $10 burnished AGE on ebay.image

This coin is about to explode in price. These are bringing $1,200 to $1,400 on ebay. You would think that eveyone and their brother would be listing these on ebay. The current owners seem to be holding tight, even with these bringing moon money on ebay.
  • Options
    NumisNumis Posts: 160
    Actually one sold yesterday on ebay for $1764.05 and that was an NGC70 early release.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually one sold yesterday on ebay for $1764.05 and that was an NGC70 early release. >>

I saw that. A PCGS MS70 sold in hours yesterday on ebay with a BIN of $1,599.

This coin could surpass $2,000 on ebay at some point.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You liked that...... :-)

Thanks

Eric >>

117 >>

Thanks!

Myth hope the research is helpful.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually one sold yesterday on ebay for $1764.05 and that was an NGC70 early release. >>

This coin could surpass $2,000 on ebay at some point. >>

The coin may see $2000 raw in the not too distant future. Way too many important people with deep pockets like that coin. All the W mint marked gold is on a long term roll. None of this is a fluke.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The coin may see $2000 raw in the not too distant future. Way too many important people with deep pockets like that coin. All the W mint marked gold is on a long term roll. None of this is a fluke. >>

I recall an earlier post on this thread in which a forum member mentioned that he suggested to a friend in search of bullion gold that he buy the 2008 W AGE $10 coins instead. His friend bought 50 of them - talk about fantastic advice!!!
  • Options
    At today's prices, the 2008-W 1/10 oz. $5 coins (mintage 12,657) are a better value IMO.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The coin may see $2000 raw in the not too distant future. Way too many important people with deep pockets like that coin. All the W mint marked gold is on a long term roll. None of this is a fluke. >>

I recall an earlier post on this thread in which a forum member mentioned that he suggested to a friend in search of bullion gold that he buy the 2008 W AGE $10 coins instead. His friend bought 50 of them - talk about fantastic advice!!! >>

..............................................................................................................................................................................

He still has all 50...........
  • Options

<< <i>He still has all 50........... >>

Great finanical advice you gave your friend. Your friend owes you a nice steak dinner.....or maybe even a nice Harley Davidson fatboy motorcycle.imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I recall an earlier post on this thread in which a forum member mentioned that he suggested to a friend in search of bullion gold that he buy the 2008 W AGE $10 coins instead. His friend bought 50 of them - talk about fantastic advice!!! >>

WOW! Does he know what they're worth? What great advice!!!
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................

He still has all 50........... >>

• Options
    I just had a look at the 2010 Plat proof on another thread. A thousand times better than the absurd 2009. I also really like the presentation/OGP for this series. That said, I don't see much potential so I'll pass. Who's buying? Does anyone see any potential for this one? The 2009 raw seems to be going for only about $400 above issue.
  • Options
    There seems to be some recent increasing interest in the 2006-2008-W Burnished ASEs.

I sense from scanning completed auctions there has recently been some firming of prices and a drift toward $30.

Comments..........................??
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    Here's a good deal for someone (especially after Bing Cashback and BigCrumbs/eBates)

Jackson NGC MS69 on eBay

PS: It's not mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file