Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sales aren't rushing it towards a 15,000 sell-out, but sales are running higher than the Pierce ran.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mint stats from NN

The James Buchanan First Spouse coins appear here for the first time with sales already greater than those of the Jane Pierce coins if you combine the proof and uncirculated totals.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    My first post was on Saturday September 15, 2007 12:03 AM.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY FAVORITE THREAD!!

My first post was on Sept. 28 '07.

THANK YOU ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>mint stats from NN

The James Buchanan First Spouse coins appear here for the first time with sales already greater than those of the Jane Pierce coins if you combine the proof and uncirculated totals. >>

Ms: Oh master of the the Mint regs on bullion pricing -- will the Buch prices jump Wed?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, Happy B-Day to the thread. I gave you congrats on the first 100...never thought we'd see 8k+!
    R95
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Here is the frost break I was referring to earlier. The spot I saw was on the desk but now the larger image has me running back to look again. Gasp!!!!!
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I have to go through 413 pages to find out when my first post was, c'mon?image
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>I have to go through 413 pages to find out when my first post was, c'mon?image >>

No pressure image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to the thread! And thank Eric for all the insight and information.

I am a little late to the game. I think my first post is June 2010. However, I have gone through this whole thread TWO times image
    This is not only a thread about modern, but it is also a part of the modern history of modern coins image

Thanks again for creating such a great thread!
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buchanan's Liberty repriced.

$791 unc., $804 proof.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...just tossing this out for discussion...

With gold spiking to new highs and platinum now at $1,600+/ounce...will any of the rare, highly coveted 2008 gold and plat Eagle issues get sent to the melting pot by the less informed (i.e. anyone not reading this thread for the past couple of years) among us?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, I almost hate to enter this into the mix here, but I bought one of DC's 1964-D Peace $1 and am interested in your opinion.

I like the coin. I think this will be very popular and have legs. The controversy alone is priceless advertisement. It'll be a great collectible regardless of its "status."

I look at the popularity of California gold fractionals, hard time tokens, saloon tokens, et. al. Not exactly in the same boat as the DC Peace $1, but still collectible.

I could see this coin listed in the Red Book some day next to an asterisk.....at the bottom of the Peace Dollar page,
    *1964-D est. 2,000 MS-65 $150, MS-67 $250
    *Note: overstruck original Peace dollars on Denver Mint press. Extra Ray variety.

r95
  • Options
    Ren,

I dont know that kind of thing is very hard to predict.

Eric
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quote from the past worth pondering:

We are seeing in our life time one of the most important collecting sea changes since FDR signed the gold ban into law in 1933.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Eric, I almost hate to enter this into the mix here, but I bought one of DC's 1964-D Peace $1 and am interested in your opinion.

I like the coin. I think this will be very popular and have legs. The controversy alone is priceless advertisement. It'll be a great collectible regardless of its "status."

I look at the popularity of California gold fractionals, hard time tokens, saloon tokens, et. al. Not exactly in the same boat as the DC Peace $1, but still collectible.

I could see this coin listed in the Red Book some day next to an asterisk.....at the bottom of the Peace Dollar page,
    *1964-D est. 2,000 MS-65 $150, MS-67 $250
    *Note: overstruck original Peace dollars on Denver Mint press. Extra Ray variety.

r95 >>

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Consider it has an "Altered surface" and 0 percent original surfaces remaining.

The ultimate body bag................

• Options

<< <i>Eric, I almost hate to enter this into the mix here, but I bought one of DC's 1964-D Peace $1 and am interested in your opinion. >>

I gonna call OT on this. Third party restrikes belong somewhere else.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So...just tossing this out for discussion...

With gold spiking to new highs and platinum now at $1,600+/ounce...will any of the rare, highly coveted 2008 gold and plat Eagle issues get sent to the melting pot by the less informed (i.e. anyone not reading this thread for the past couple of years) among us? >>

I know of a 4 coin set of 2006 and of 2008 plat unc's that got sent to the scrapper for melt. Don't know their ultimate fate.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Records are being broken!!!

• Options
    Metal Bid Ask
    Gold $1,274.50 $1,275.50 $7.30
    Silver $20.73 $20.78 $0.21
    Platinum $1,607.10 $1,617.10 $11.80
    Palladium $552.80 $557.80 ($3.80)
    Updated: 9/16/2010 10:03:48 AM CST

Fasten your seat belts, this could get real interesting
  • Options
    I thought someone suggested putting a mark on the coins sold to the smelter.
  • Options
    From Mint News Blog, the release date for 2010 Proof Gold Eagle will be Oct 7, 2010, and there will be no household limit.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Okay, gotta brag here that my first post was on Page 2. I love this thread, too.

On the not-bragging front, just saw my first Buchanan unc in hand and am surprised how much I like it. The proofs are stunning, yes, but the uncs have a more authentic feel to them IMHO.

Can't wait to see Dan Carr's 64-D Peace dollars, too. In a relatively blah year, these spice things up a lot!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    This is my first post anywhere in this forum, but because I've really enjoyed reading this massive thread, it's as good a place as any to say that this is a phenomenal forum. Thanks to all for the great contributions and sharing of extremely valuable knowledge, in this thread and throughout. I've seen the posts where seasoned numismatist posters complain about newbies coming here, asking a ton of questions, and then disappearing, but there is so much *ahem* gold here that I'm willing to bet for every annoying newb, there are 10 lurkers really enjoying the content.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my first post anywhere in this forum, but because I've really enjoyed reading this massive thread, it's as good a place as any to say that this is a phenomenal forum.

Welcome Johnny! The forum just got a little bit better!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    image JohnnyUtah! Counting the OP... I was 3rd. image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Page 2.

And now you know... the rest of the story.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Buchanan Unc went backorder.....10/3.....the notorious RED.....ship date 2 weeks out....
  • Options
    could someone please tell me the grey sheet for ogp 2006 and 2007 proof buffalos?
    Thanks
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buchanan Unc went backorder.....10/3.....the notorious RED.....ship date 2 weeks out.... >>

Interesting...could this be the first sign of the hoped for short strike??? The mint has a lot on its plate to cram into the rest of the year. One more spouse, the gold eagles, , the notorious 5 oz. hockey pucks, etc. They also must get the 2011 mint and proof sets ready by Jan. 2011.

I think I'll hold on to my surplus Buchanans for now, at least the MS ones...

Edit: I'll bet the proofs aren't far behind, especially if the anecdotal evidence of significant returns for poor quality is true...
  • Options
    Looks like we may come in close with low numbers if sellout is near. Buch MS has exceeded Julia so far, but less than Letitia. PR is still below Julia, but that will surely change.

Buch numbers as of 9/12 are 2978 MS / 4421 PR

Julia totals are 2861 / 4830.
  • Options
    mint stats from NN

Beating Pierce already, but not Fillmore.... however Fillmore is beating the previous release of Taylor, and Buchanan is already beating Taylor.

and this is a new release, so it is hotter than the others still on sale just by the fact it's sold more in a shorter time.
  • Options
    Welcome JohnnyUtah!! You've happened upon THE BEST thread on the forum (I'm not biased of course :-). Enjoy, Ron
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Buchs mintage numbers will change because of the returns of the proofs. Will be interesting. These mintages are probably what they sold but probably don't reflect returns and if they recycle the returns back to the public.
  • Options

<< <i>This is my first post anywhere in this forum, but because I've really enjoyed reading this massive thread, it's as good a place as any to say that this is a phenomenal forum. Thanks to all for the great contributions and sharing of extremely valuable knowledge, in this thread and throughout. I've seen the posts where seasoned numismatist posters complain about newbies coming here, asking a ton of questions, and then disappearing, but there is so much *ahem* gold here that I'm willing to bet for every annoying newb, there are 10 lurkers really enjoying the content. >>

Utah,

We are very glad to bave new people joint us.

Welcome!

Eric
  • Options
    Julia Tyler Proof PCGS 70 DCAM sells on E-bay for $$$$ 7,595 Buy it now! WOW image

& First Strike
  • Options
    Julia Tyler Proof PCGS 70 DCAM sells on E-bay for $$$$ 7,595 Buy it now! WOW & First Strike

Link
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>could someone please tell me the grey sheet for ogp 2006 and 2007 proof buffalos?
    Thanks >>

mee to ! too deux, aussi... etc !
  • Options

<< <i>Julia Tyler Proof PCGS 70 DCAM sells on E-bay for $$$$ 7,595 Buy it now! WOW & First Strike

Link >>

Speechless.
  • Options
    $10 GOLD BUCHANON MINT STATE ESTIMATED INITIAL STRIKING RUN 3500 COINS

$10 GOLD BUCHANON PROOF ESTIMATED INITIAL STRIKING RUN 6500 COINS.

THEY WERE SHORT STRUCK RELATIVE TO DEMAND. THE ONLY QUESTION NOW IS WILL THEY MAKE MORE.

ERIC

THE ABOVE ARE MY BEST GUESS TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT WORTH LITTLE OR MUCH.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday's update should give us an idea of the initial run of uncirculated Buchanans.

Tuesday's total could even be high, relative to the number struck, because of delays in the sales cutoff. This happened with the 2006-W and 2008-W platinum eagles and some other collector coins, as I recall.

I'll stick with my guess of 3400 uncirculated and 5400 proof, pending more definitive information.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I ordered 2 more MS on Saturday. See if I get them.
  • Options

<< <i>Julia Tyler Proof PCGS 70 DCAM sells on E-bay for $$$$ 7,595 Buy it now! WOW & First Strike

Link >>

Very hard to believe that coin sold for 7,595. I loved the seller's statement, "a few years from now this will be a bargain", few hundred, few thousand?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>could someone please tell me the grey sheet for ogp 2006 and 2007 proof buffalos?
    Thanks >>

mee to ! too deux, aussi... etc ! >>

Seriously, what is the greysheet for these?
    (I'm thinking premium over spot is evaporating fast)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When gold was at $1,196.20 last month the 2006-W and 2007-W proof Buffs were at $1,310/$1,335 so I would imagine that we might be able to add about $75 to each of those for today's levels.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Ordered two Buchanan uncirculated on Saturday when they went red. It now says in stock and reserved.

09/18/2010 at 09:47 AM
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ordered two Buchanan uncirculated on Saturday when they went red. It now says in stock and reserved.

09/18/2010 at 09:47 AM >>

Returns?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    My 9/18 1pm order for one unc Buch is still on backorder
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ordered two Buchanan uncirculated on Saturday when they went red. It now says in stock and reserved.

09/18/2010 at 09:47 AM >>

Returns? >>

My order is still backordered.

Order Date: 09/18/2010 at 12:19 AM

I agree it is from returned orders since any new strike should have enough quantity to to fulfill my order too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file