Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Now I wonder what price adjustments will be necessary once the Buch $10 Proof has less coins extant than the Jackson Lib?

IMO - 'cause thats where this is heading.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This image was just posted in Numismatic News of the coin, provided by the Mint.

Sounds like production started on Sept 20. From the photo, looks like a decent coin.

Full article is HERE >>

And silver is at a 30 year high. >>

It's a bummer that these will be issued when silver is so high...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Sorry but I haven't been to the Mint website or this forum for quite a while. I just noticed that the AE gold proof coins will be going on sale October 7th. I am thinking about picking up the 4 coin set. Anyone have any opinion/WAG's about what the price might be? Any opinions on the mintage? Is 39,000 high, low....?
  • Options
    With so many new issues coming out from the US Mint this year, it is really a hard decision to choose what to buy with a limited fund.

1. 2010 AGE
    2. 2010 ASE
    3. 5 Oz Silver bullion quarter
    4. Mary Todd Lincoln first spouse gold

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read online that the House passed legislation on Sept. 29 that gives the Treasury Sec. the discretion to order 2.5 inch "pucks."
  • Options
    My two Buch uncs shipped today. The Mint rep. said that they were doing inventory last week and no orders were shipped. Looks like the Van Burens will rule.
  • Options

<< <i>My two Buch uncs shipped today. The Mint rep. said that they were doing inventory last week and no orders were shipped. Looks like the Van Burens will rule. >>

Do you mean they are new stock? Can you let us know if they are returns or not when you received them?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    I ordered them about 10 hours after the Uncs went red. The expected ship date kept creeping up and then they just shipped. I'll let you know how they look as soon as they arrive.
  • Options
  • Options
    To the extent that it's even possible, I think that the new Mint contractor takes even longer to process and credit refunds than the old one - good grief!. Only the Govt.....
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i> >>

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does somebody have the chart showing how the Mint prices their gold products? I can never find it on their website.
    Thanks,
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thank yew!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buchanans now $816 and $829 at the Mint's website.

If gold is over $1350 by next Tuesday, prices from the Mint will likely jump again. The gold price is pretty close now.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Buchanans now $816 and $829 at the Mint's website.

If gold is over $1350 by next Tuesday, prices from the Mint will likely jump again. The gold price is pretty close now. >>

And to recall getting a 2006 one ounce gold buffalo from the Mint for $800 a few short years ago. Where is that time machine?
  • Options
    I sold several of them for $800 :-(
  • Options
    << And to recall getting a 2006 one ounce gold buffalo from the Mint for $800 a few short years ago. Where is that time machine? >>

Time machines are so yesterday! image

• Options

<< <i><< And to recall getting a 2006 one ounce gold buffalo from the Mint for $800 a few short years ago. Where is that time machine? >>

Time machines are so yesterday! image >>

Its like deja vu all over again!!!!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    talk about shrinking premiums...

06W PR69DCam Buff
    06W PR70DCam Buff

Are these anomolies, or is this typical of the market ????
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Are you speaking of premium over spot gold or premium of PR70DCAM over PR69DCAM??

Personally I have never understood why there is any premium beyond say 5-10% for various modern gold pieces where almost 50% of pieces minted grade MS/PR70.

The UHR are a prime example..............You would be better off buying 2-3 raw and having them graded and then sell any that don't score 70.

A far, far cheaper approach than paying the current market place premium for a slabbed MS70.

For the proof AGE about to be released only fools would pay a greater than $50-$100 premium for PR70s.

You could buy directly from mint and have an appox. 50% chance of getting a PR70 for 1 coin.

75% of getting one if you bought 2 with a 25% chance of getting 2 for 2 PR70s.
  • Options
    I graded 5 Buchanan proof coins: 4 PR69 & 1 PR70
  • Options
    That is about right for a First Spouse coins where to date it looks like around 25% grade MS70 or PR70.

I guess my point is that for many common, modern gold, silver and platinum coins the premium for 69 vs. 70 examples should roughly reflect their relative probability of achieving a 69 vs. 70 grade divided into the for cost of grading, S/H and perhaps a small premium for hassle factor(effort to make submissions).

For a coin such as the UHR where appox. 60% grade MS70 the relative premium for a MS70 example should be smaller than for example the First Spouse coins where only 25% seem to grade MS/PR70.

In the last 5-10 years the US Mint quality has improved to the point where 70 graded examples in most series are not at all scarce or difficult to achieve on submissions.

Certainly coins from 1980s and 1990s were in general less likely to score MS/PR70 on submissions than what we see today.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you speaking of premium over spot gold or premium of PR70DCAM over PR69DCAM??

Personally I have never understood why there is any premium beyond say 5-10% for various modern gold pieces where almost 50% of pieces minted grade MS/PR70.

The UHR are a prime example..............You would be better off buying 2-3 raw and having them graded and then sell any that don't score 70.

A far, far cheaper approach than paying the current market place premium for a slabbed MS70.

For the proof AGE about to be released only fools would pay a greater than $50-$100 premium for PR70s.

You could buy directly from mint and have an appox. 50% chance of getting a PR70 for 1 coin.

75% of getting one if you bought 2 with a 25% chance of getting 2 for 2 PR70s. >>

Primarily the 70/69 premium. It was maybe a year ago that the 70s could be had for 1500, and a 69 was 1350 or something.

now they are both around 1500?? There is no gap on the 70s and 69s? Is this an anomoly or is the market in general priced this way now?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The premiums dropped as soon as the U.S Mint announced the 2010 AGE's last month. Dealers were paying between 1,800-2,000 an ounce on proofs then the news release came out and they dropped there bids.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Premiums on the Buffalo proofs were never as high as for the Gold Eagles. I believe the difference is that Buffaloes were not allowed in IRAs. The narrowing of the premium gap between 69 and 70 is probably due to the rising gold price.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the sellers care, if they bought these from the mint in 06 they made a good profit in gold content alone. I believe these are coming out of the woodwork to take the profit tied up in these bullion coins. Those that sold their Jefferson Spouse Gold a few years ago for spot, could have made a killing today. But no one knows what will happen with the price of gold. Those selling today may regret it next year if gold reaches 2-3K an ounce. But the dollar would be worth crap by then is my belief. At least now the dollar still has some legs and their is no hyperinflation yet to destroy your profit. I would rather have my dollars today than if gold hits 3K (perhaps a hyperinflationary event) when you have to use more of your dollars to buy something if you sell your gold. JMHO.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the sellers care, if they bought these from the mint in 06 they made a good profit in gold content alone. I believe these are coming out of the woodwork to take the profit tied up in these bullion coins. Those that sold their Jefferson Spouse Gold a few years ago for spot, could have made a killing today. But no one knows what will happen with the price of gold. Those selling today may regret it next year if gold reaches 2-3K an ounce. But the dollar would be worth crap by then is my belief. At least know the dollar still has some legs and their is no hyperinflation yet to destroy your profit. I would rather have my dollars today than if gold hits 3K (perhaps a hyperinflationary event) when you have to use more of your dollars to buy something if you sell your gold. JMHO. >>

And now the Fed says they will use a little inflation to help the economy. Imagine how high the metals will reach with the Fed's help.
  • Options
    WOW. Over $2,900 for the 2010 Proof AGE four coin set. A little too pricey for me. Damn.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My two Buch uncs shipped today. The Mint rep. said that they were doing inventory last week and no orders were shipped. Looks like the Van Burens will rule. >>

Do you mean they are new stock? Can you let us know if they are returns or not when you received them? >>

I received them today (missed them the past two days, not home to sigh). I've examined them in great detail w/a loupe. They are both absolutely flawless - stunning. Definitely NOT returns. Both capsules were floating in the box but were intact.
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    With the price gap between gold and platinum currently $338/oz is gold too high or platinum too low? Which is the better buy at this time? Opinions and insight welcomedimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the price gap between gold and platinum currently $338/oz is gold too high or platinum too low? Which is the better buy at this time? Opinions and insight welcomed image

My reply is found here:

Precious Metals Forum - Welcome!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>With the price gap between gold and platinum currently $338/oz is gold too high or platinum too low? Which is the better buy at this time? Opinions and insight welcomedimage >>

platinum has been more affected by the economy and industrial uses. the global slowdown is supposedly holding it back.

I wonder how much of the stuff is available globally as compared to gold....
  • Options
    Thanks for the boost. I look forward to a great discussion on thisimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    It has been strangely quiet here lately. Is no news good news? Or just no news??image
  • Options

<< <i>It has been strangely quiet here lately. Is no news good news? Or just no news??image >>

Calm before the storm. Buchanan's Liberty gold has its own semi-active thread. Waiting for release of hockey pucks and proof ASEs.

• Options
    Eric,

I just finished reading your book, "Modern Commemorative Coins". I wished I found it 3 years ago. I have a much better chance of not getting burned (or not get cheated) in Modern coins than in "classic coins" as a newbie to this hobby. I have read 4-5 books and I like yours and Travers's "Coin Collector's Survival Manual". I am a kind of person, "shoot first' and 'learn later'. Well, got burned pretty good. That was before reading those books. Thank you and Great job!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It has been strangely quiet here lately. Is no news good news? Or just no news??image >>

Calm before the storm. Buchanan's Liberty gold has its own semi-active thread. Waiting for release of hockey pucks and proof ASEs. >>

Yes -- strangely silent. Speaking of pucks, I'm surprised THIS ARTICLE didn't show up by now from Coin World on 5 oz silver ATB production. Quite an interesting process.

I admit, these coins look VERY nice...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gots to be a member to get that CW article...can you copy and paste??

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops -- sorry Miles.

I forgot this was a subscription, I got this quite a while ago. Brain fart.

Regardless, I suggest picking up a copy of this edition for the process, pics, etc. I can't copy / paste.

The article stated that the Mint has produced 24,000 of the Hot Springs coins to date, along with 5,000 each of the other 4 ATB coins for this year. The coins are being struck at 22 coins per minute on the new Grabener presses, with two strikes per coin at 450 to 500 metric tons of pressure per strike. The blank planchets are fed into the press manually by the operator one at a time (not quite sure how this produces 22 coins/min, but that's what it states). After striking, one of every 16 coins is manually inspected for quality control before being placed in 10-coin tubes for distribution. There is also a good description of the new computerized die cutting process (bypassing hubbing) to create the dies. Of course, there is much more detail, but this is a brief synopsis.

There is also a short article stating that NGC, PCGS and ANACS will all be certifying these with new holders. ICG will not for this year -- their holders are not yet ready.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Akbeez!

I will look out for the article; although, I think you summarized well for me.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Good job Eric!

Never count out the "big boys" - those $100 1 oz'ers! While the mintages might be a bit higher, the demand is a bit higher as well. And, just like real estate... demand, demand and demand drives the platinum complex IMHO! Which is also a good argument why those little $10 coins are worth holding on to as well.

So, why does the 2004 Proof Plat set with a mintage of 5,000 sets sell for nearly 50%+ more than the 2006(w) MS Plat set with a mintage of just over 2,500 sets? DEMAND of course, BUT, how long can a mintage of a scant 2,500-3,750 for all 4 coins in the set be ignored? The $50 2006-w Plat with a mintage just over 2,500 sells for around $1,500. Meanwhile, the J. Robinson coin with a mintage of roughly 2x that coin now sells for nearly 3x as much (and, I am not questioning the value of the JR coin here at all)! Not to say that $50 2006-W Plat will be a $10,000 coin any time soon - but, you might want to have one on hand when you grandkids ask you down the road if you were collecting when the US Mint produced the lowest mintage type coin in around 90 years! Wondercoin >>

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Another point to consider when comparing the J. Robinson with the $50 or $25 2006-W platinum coins is the base metal value and numismatic premium.

At current prices 90%+ of the JR coin represents numismatic premium where as for the platinum coins it is closer to 50-50 for base metal value-numismatic premium.

• Options
    Is the mint issuing anything worth buying the rest of this year? image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made some good points in that previous quote if I must say so myself.... and then along came the 08-W burnished plats and put another dagger in the heart of the 06-W burnished plats! Now the gradkids might be asking about 08-W plats, not 06-W!! LOL.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Is the mint issuing anything worth buying the rest of this year? image >>

Nope -- the State Quarter Spoons are long gone! image

• Options

<< <i>Is the mint issuing anything worth buying the rest of this year? image >>

There are ASE proofs coming out Nov 19th

I think the 5oz ATB coins will be hot. Potential for a smaller run than next year's releases and potential for it being the only year with a 3 inch diameter** (**pending legislation)

Then there is the Mary Todd Lincoln First Spouse which may be lukewarm to hot.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I agree that all of these will attract some interest. Perhaps the ASE will be the only one that has long-term numismatic interest, but who knows? It's hard to view the hockey pucks as real coins, and I would think the Lincoln issue will be large enough to thwart long-term interest, but who knows?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    [I think the 5oz ATB coins will be hot.

Especially when I set my morning coffee on them. I need some new beverage coasters.
  • Options
    Thank you Mr Ben Bernanke. You just made buying gold and silver coins from the Mint a bit more costly. (and maybe other things too)
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I think you will be using a $300 (minimum) beverage coaster if you do. This is the only 5 ounce coin the Mint will ever make. Every type collector will need one, not to mention all the flippers driving the price. $300 may be a low number when all is said and done. However, we will have to wait another 4 or 5 months for these coins.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file