Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<8500>>

Is that the number of posts or the price of gold...it's getting harder to tell!
  • It seems every time the mint releases a first spouse, Gold rises and the next week the price goes up! I think there doing this deliberately.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks....check out the thread about APMEX selling the 5 oz. ATB pucks for nearly $1400/set....
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>

<< <i>Margaret Taylor First Spouse is history! The last sales numbers I saw was 43 hundred and some change on the proofs. Could this be the new key for proof Spouses???image >>

I doubt it. As of Nov. 22 there were 4,787 proofs sold, very close to the last known Julia Tyler proof mintage. I haven't seen any updates since then, but I'm guessing that enough sold in the final 10 days to overtake Julia. >>

Any new numbers yet?
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any new numbers yet? >>

I don't know but I see they are not red anymore. The Mint must of found another pile of them to sell!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any new numbers yet? >>

I don't know but I see they are not red anymore. The Mint must of found another pile of them to sell! >>

I think you're referring to the Buchanan's Liberty. The questioner was referring to the Margaret Taylor, which has gone off sale.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Yup, your are right.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while we were having fun...

the last 6 LBMA gold fixings average is $1400.17

There are 4 more fixings before a decision on a price change is made. Should the prices stay in the low 1400's, we'll see 1 level of price increases on all gold products.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>while we were having fun...
    the last 6 LBMA gold fixings average is $1400.17
    There are 4 more fixings before a decision on a price change is made. Should the prices stay in the low 1400's, we'll see 1 level of price increases on all gold products. >>

The 8 number average is $1405.88, barring a crash tomorrow, gold products will repice one level up.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<"I think I sold all but one for near cost but maybe I shouldn't have." Correct>>

<<Mint State Van Buren Liberty Gold is going to get expensive. >>

See...once again...if you had only bought at least one of everything that Eric lists in his book as a must have, these things wouldn't have happened!!! >>

I see MCM is buying the MVB unc for $1,000!
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see MCM is buying the MVB unc for $1,000! >>

I would like to purchase a MVB unc at $1000 if anyone has extraimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please give a warm welcome to the American Palladium Eagle!

As of now APE is no longer suitable as an abbreviation. image

Edited to add: Eric, the thread title now needs to be lengthened! imageimage >>

A four-coin set of one of each metal would be nice set but very pricey.

<< <i>

<< <i>I see MCM is buying the MVB unc for $1,000! >>

I would like to purchase a MVB unc at $1000 if anyone has extraimage >>

I'll take a MVB MS70 FS for $1050 cash upfront!
  • I suggest APaE or perhaps AME for the new palladium bulllion coins abbreviation .........

<< <i>The 8 number average is $1405.88, barring a crash tomorrow, gold products will repice one level up. >>

Gold would have to be trading in london below $1400 tomorrow at the Wed PM fix (~10am EST) for it not to reprice up tomorrow.
    gold, silver and platinum just took a nose dive.
  • LOL. According to the latest sales figure, the ugly Margaret Taylor Proof become the new key for the series with 4,787 !
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Just a heads up, MCM still have 2 PF70 Magaret Taylor available.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL. According to the latest sales figure, the ugly Margaret Taylor Proof become the new key for the series with 4,787 ! >>

What is your source and which Spouse falls into second on the proof, at this time?

Thanks,
    Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

• << <i>
    Gold would have to be trading in london below $1400 tomorrow at the Wed PM fix (~10am EST) for it not to reprice up tomorrow. >>

Gold price is $1,392 now.

• << <i>

<< <i>LOL. According to the latest sales figure, the ugly Margaret Taylor Proof become the new key for the series with 4,787 ! >>

What is your source and which Spouse falls into second on the proof, at this time?

Thanks,
    Miles >>

Its from Coin Update New

The Julia will now be the second lowest proof.

Margaret Proof 4,787 VS Julia Proof 4,830

• << <i>

<< <i>

Thanks,
    Miles >>

Its from Coin Update New

The Julia will now be the second lowest proof.

Margaret Proof 4,787 VS Julia Proof 4,830 >>

Thats Great news for me if it holds. Eric if your out there, are you a believer in these numbers?
    In my opinion, the mintage for the Margaret Taylor proof is a bit more than 4,787, and the Julia is probably still the key.

The 4,787 mintage is *exactly* the same as reported on the November 22 update, when the coin was still available on the Mint's website. It continued to be available for another 10 days, until December 2. There was some discussion of the low mintage of this coin, on this and other threads, a few days before it went off sale.

No way were there zero orders for this coin between November 22 and December 2. It's more likely that the final 10 days of sales went unreported.

no repricing this week!
  • FYI

MAGARET TAYLOR PROOF 4,945
    MT UNC 3,630
    SALES AS OF 12/8/2010

• << <i>FYI

MT UNC 3,630
    SALES AS OF 12/8/2010 >>

Well at least they are under 5K. That is dam low for any gold proof !!! image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed in the latest issue of CW that MCM has a higher buy price for the 2008 W plat proofs than for the 2004 Ws. Is this new? I can't understand why this has not been the case ever since the mintage numbers were known. I'm very glad to see this.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    MCM still sells 2004 Platinum Proof Eagles as "Key Date" and they usually charge a higher price for them than they charge for equivalent 2008 samples...
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FYI

MT UNC 3,630
    SALES AS OF 12/8/2010 >>

Well at least they are under 5K. That is dam low for any gold proof !!! image >>

Good to see some emoticons again!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Hi Eric,

Whats your opinion about Royal engagement coins that the Royal Mint is making? Here is the link:

http://www.royalmint.com/engagement/engagement_products.aspx?src=homeSml_Engagement

There are 4 type of coins.

1. Cupro-nickle coin with maximum 100,000 mintage. £9.99

2. Silver proof coin with maximum 25,000 mintage. £55.50

3. Gold plated silver coin with maximum mintage 5000. £85.00

4. Gold proof coin with maximum mintage 1300. £1550.00 (39.94 gram - 1 1/4 oz of gold)

Total mintage for all coins is relatively high but the last two have a relatively low mintage considering the popularity of John Lenon coin ( 5000 mintage). This is a one time event (hopefully) and I think they may have a world wide appeal and hopefully future potential of price appreciation.
    Demand for Mary Todd Lincoln dollar rolls has put some life into the Presidential dollar category.

NN's Mint stats for MTL

Proof 3,635
    Unc 1,870

First Week of Buchanan's Liberty

Proof 3,641
    Unc 2,486

I didn't post the prediction, but I am saying it now.

1. Popular (but more popular than I thought)
    2. a Crowded Flip

<< 4. Gold proof coin with maximum mintage 1300. £1550.00 (39.94 gram - 1 1/4 oz of gold) >>

Actually only 1 3/17 oz. of gold, as the coin is 22 karat.

Britain's 5 pound gold coins contain as much gold as 5 gold sovereigns. Each gold sovereign contains net 4/17 oz. of gold.

(BTW, a U.S. pre-1933 $5 gold contains about 2.7% more gold than a U.K. sovereign.)

• oo..thanks for correction. John Lenon coins were sold out pretty quick. The wedding is in April and the interest may grow in 4 months. I appreciate any opinion/thoughts.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Royal engagement coins. John Lennon coins. I hope these topics don't take over. Then how long will it be before I have to gag over coins honoring Sir Elton John and Sir Boy George? image What a royal pain.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>FYI

MT UNC 3,630
    SALES AS OF 12/8/2010 >>

Eric, there seems to be a descrepancy between your numbers and some others. Any comments concerning that?

• << <i>Royal engagement coins. John Lennon coins. I hope these topics don't take over. Then how long will it be before I have to gag over coins honoring Sir Elton John and Sir Boy George? image What a royal pain. >>

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, dispersion principle is still in effect making 2004 plat proofs harder to come by than the '08W even if the latter have lower mintage (ie more 08W coins in the hands of flippers/investors)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    PS - speaking of which, are there more than a handful of collectors trying for the First Spouse series? Methinks many of these low mintage coins are in the hands of flippers and real collector demand is super low.

I wonder what the eqiuivalency factor between them and the beloved Unc. Jackie Robinson is? I do believe it would take a First Spouse with a mintage of 1k to 1.5k to bring a similar price. What say you, fellow posters?

• << <i>PS - speaking of which, are there more than a handful of collectors trying for the First Spouse series? Methinks many of these low mintage coins are in the hands of flippers and real collector demand is super low.

I wonder what the eqiuivalency factor between them and the beloved Unc. Jackie Robinson is? I do believe it would take a First Spouse with a mintage of 1k to 1.5k to bring a similar price. What say you, fellow posters? >>

Well Julia tyler Gold is up to $3000.00 + in First strike 70 grades. one thing is for sure with gold rising, just about anything in the First spouse coins bought at mint issue prices is selling for a nice profit today. Even 2007 issues with 20,000 mintages, These first spouse have been a wind fall for me. I have bought every one issued. image
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS - speaking of which, are there more than a handful of collectors trying for the First Spouse series? Methinks many of these low mintage coins are in the hands of flippers and real collector demand is super low.

I wonder what the eqiuivalency factor between them and the beloved Unc. Jackie Robinson is? I do believe it would take a First Spouse with a mintage of 1k to 1.5k to bring a similar price. What say you, fellow posters? >>

Could be--and for all the wrong reasons. The JR coin is, I think, much more historically interesting than any of these spouse coins. If the only reason they go up in value is because they're rare, that's not really a lot to hang a hat on. And I think that IS what's happening, except for perhaps the Liberty subset, which has more intrinsic interest.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

<< <i>PS - speaking of which, are there more than a handful of collectors trying for the First Spouse series? Methinks many of these low mintage coins are in the hands of flippers and real collector demand is super low.

The unc. Jackie Robinson was a speculative favorite in its day. The price has come down quite a bit from the $4500+ of a few years ago.

There are probably not many people collecting the First Spouses as a set, but there should be decent demand for various coins within the series, such as the 4-coin "Liberty" subset.

• << <i>

<< <i>FYI

MT UNC 3,630
    SALES AS OF 12/8/2010 >>

Eric, there seems to be a descrepancy between your numbers and some others. Any comments concerning that? >>

Thats the numbers Michael White had on the weekly sales report in the dead report week. Its what he would have issued if it had not been for all the silver eagle number problems. We all know by now that the weekly sales (order) report has a ton of noise in the data and its just a rough cut guess until about 3 months after the close of the fiscal year Sept 29th 2011.
    JR vs. the Liberty sub-set of "First Spouses" - let's watch how this plays out over the years. Funny how the Liberty sub-series in this series are NOT first Spouse coins at all!LOL!!

I note that at least the Baltimore shows that there are more black collectors, or so it appears, walking the isles...poss. increase demand for JR in the years to come from them as well?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, have there been any downward adjustments to the final mintages of the other Gold Spouses besides Van Buren & Jackson? It appears that they all might have changed since the last "final" sales reporting. Is that the case?

And yet, Margaret Taylor was adjusted upwards? Did they change something internally in their accounting for returns or something else?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • There have not been any revised Finals. The mintages in the moderns book in the master mintage section at the back are all correct up to Van Buren. Van Buren was marked at 4191 and it turned out to be 3826 after the Sept 29 2010 audit.

The MT coins are weekly sales report numbers and should be regarded as rough estimates only. The julia and letetia numbers posted are final finals.

<< <i>There have not been any revised Finals. The mintages in the moderns book in the master mintage section at the back are all correct up to Van Buren. Van Buren was marked at 4191 and it turned out to be 3826 after the Sept 29 2010 audit.

The MT coins are weekly sales report numbers and should be regarded as rough estimates only. The julia and letetia numbers posted are final finals. >>

So far none of the finals have been higher than the estimates, right?
    Eric, could you please post the final unc. and proof Letitia and Julia numbers? (Or point me to where they are posted?)

Thanks.

• FINAL FINAL FIRST SPOUSE GOLD MINTAGES.

MV PROOF 6807
    AH PROOF 6251
    LT PROOF 5295
    JT PROOF 4844

MV UNC 3826
    AH UNC 3645
    LT UNC 3240
    JT UNC 3143

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights