Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Based on the low sales of the 2008 and 2006 plat sales on Ebay I wonder what happened to all the plat collectors? Are people leaving the plat series? Are the fractionals now considered orphaned series?

I would have expected the 2008 proof plats to do better than this based on the 2004 prices, and the 2008 and 2006 plat unc either have higher actual mintages or the market has died.

I think the platinum market is at a standstill...

Those who own are reluctant to sell at current prices and to the extent there are buyers, they are looking for bargains, not bidding up the price.

I don't know that platinum is orphaned, but it's definitely neglected. It seems like much of the excitement we might otherwise expect has been lost in the shadow of 2008w buffalos coupled with the lousy economy.

Maybe when Eric's book comes to market this summer, plats will get more attention.
    Dan
    I spoke with a collector at length yesterday who wanted me to buy for him a PCGS-PR70DCAM $50 Gold Eagle with more than a 400,000+ mintage. I asked him if he was aware of some of the $100 PR70DCAM Plat Eagles that sell for close to the same price level, but have sub-10,000 mintages(!!!) and about $1,600 in metal in them instead of less than $1,150 worth of metal. He assessed the situation carefully and concluded that he still wanted the Proof Gold coin.

wow. that story really gives a picture of what we're up against.
    Dan
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on the low sales of the 2008 and 2006 plat sales on Ebay I wonder what happened to all the plat collectors? Are people leaving the plat series? Are the fractionals now considered orphaned series?..........

(IMO Unclear)

I would have expected the 2008 proof plats to do better than this based on the 2004 prices, and the 2008 and 2006 plat unc either have higher actual mintages or the market has died...............

(IMO several things........slow market, bad economy, little press outside of this board. Hopefully the continued 1 oz. Proofs, Eric's book and updated Red Book will draw peoples attention to these modern rarities. Published mintages are correct!)

The buffalo gold is the modern equivalent of the old indian head gold. Since the modern coins have lower mintages than the old coins I think it is easy to see why they have gone up so high and probably won't be coming back down.

(IMO ditto except for the huge FS premium.)

Are some classic gold collectors the ones running up the prices on the First Strike coins? Secretly it wouldn't surprise me.

(IMO the classic guys are all closet modern collectors. As soon as the 50 state spoon market turns I expect they will show up in mass.
    Right now they are trying to complete identification of all the possible die pairings for the spoon series. When this is complete they will strike.)

Something is fishy here but I like the gold buffalo prices and think the raw prices are still low. I expect the 1 ouncers to hit $5000 raw eventually, may take a year or three or more, and the others to rise as well. I see very few 1/4 proof buffalos selling, those seem to be the ones people hold no matter what. >>

(IMO....we'll just have to see.)
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does.

And, even yesterday, I passed on buying $25 2008-W MS plats fresh in boxes at $725/coin (with sub-2,500 mintage) while jumping at the opportunity to pay $900 for $10 2008-W MS gold (with 8,883 mintage). Why? I can sell the 08-W $10 gold instantly. I might be able to move 100 more of them today if they were offered to me. Or, I can put the 08-W $25 plats on ebay for 10 days and after fees net close to nothing right now as there are no "strong" buyers for those. What makes more sense to buy right now? The coin that I can sell in 5 minutes or the one that may take 2-5 years?

Fresh raw 2008-W $25 Platinum Burnished (mintage 2,481) (no thanks right now at $725/coin)

Fresh raw 2008-W $10 Gold Burnished (mintage 8,883) (anyone know where I can buy a lot more at $900/coin today?)

THIS PICTURE IS REALLY "SCREWED UP" ISN'T IT?? ERIC - SPEED UP THAT BOOK!!!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    As far as who is driving up the price of First Strike coins I can safely rule out, coin collectors.

No coin collector would pay a premium for a silly label when they would simply buy the same coin without the label for less.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fresh raw 2008-W $10 Gold Burnished (mintage 8,883) (anyone know where I can buy a lot more at $900/coin today?)

<<crickets chirping>>image

My opinion on Plats is that we will all be sitting around when platinum is at $2,700 someday (and it won't be that long) and wondering where they went. Nobody will be able to find them. Kids will be telling their grandfathers, "Grampa, did you know that they used to make some coins out of platinum?"
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Most often, prices rise because they've risen. People are funny.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like every dog...I strongly believe that the 2008 plats WILL have their day.

Eventually every statistical oddity has a tendency to return to the mean...and I think the plats are at or near their maximum level of disrespectability...so things should go up from here.

At to when...who knows? Maybe when they start building cars again.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If only the mint had done a few plats back in 1850 maybe things would be different.

• << <i>I heard one very sage individual on this forum describe, over the phone, this Fractional Buff Series as "The beach-front property of coins"...

Miles

. >>

This is absolutely true. Both the 2008 Buffalos and beachfront property have gone thru frenzied periods of demand and rapidly rising prices. Beachfront property has crashed back down by as much as 80% in some places(Florida). Will that happen to the buffalos too?
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If only the mint had done a few plats back in 1850 maybe things would be different. >>

There were indeed some 1814 50-cent test pieces made by the US mint in platinum. One such can be viewed on the website of the major alternate grading service, where it can be viewed by asking to verify the certification of the following coin number: 1721440-001.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I heard one very sage individual on this forum describe, over the phone, this Fractional Buff Series as "The beach-front property of coins"...

Miles

. >>

This is absolutely true. Both the 2008 Buffalos and beachfront property have gone thru frenzied periods of demand and rapidly rising prices. Beachfront property has crashed back down by as much as 80% in some places(Florida). Will that happen to the buffalos too? >>

No way. It'll never happen. This time is different. 2008 buffaloes have never gone down.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If only the mint had done a few plats back in 1850 maybe things would be different. >>

That's funny HalfStrike!

If only I would have sunk my full worth into 2008 Buffs! Not funny....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Can anyone following the 08w buffalo market give me some guidance on going rate for the individual coins and 4 coin sets in raw, PCGS MS69 and MS70 (FS and non FS)? I know some folks here do a great job tracking the market.

Dan
  • i saw this had 6000+ posts so I felt as though I needed one as well, so here goes

+1
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Eric!

Sorry to bother. I just wanted to double check with you on the Britannia mintages.

The Standard Catalogue of World Coins states mintages for 50 Pound Britannias as follows;

90 - 527
    91 - 509
    92 - 500
    93 - 462
    94 - 435
    95 - 500
    96 - 483

Answer: This looks correct to me.

The corresponding mintages for 100 Pound Britannias;

90 - 262 This does not look correct.
    91 - 143 This does not look correct.
    92 - 500
    93 - 500
    94 - 500
    95 - 500
    96 - 2500

I looked into this years ago and I think you will find 90 and 91 cert numbers higher than the listed values. I called around and came to the conclusion that the numbers were bad. Don't know what the correct ones were though.

Eric >>

These figures do not include the 4 coin sets. Another very interesting coin is the 1989 500th Anniversary Sovereign coin/set. There is nothing in this country that's 500 years old. I was recently able to obtain a beautiful 3 coin gold set. Check the Chard web site for British Coins.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, it does.

And, even yesterday, I passed on buying $25 2008-W MS plats fresh in boxes at $725/coin (with sub-2,500 mintage) while jumping at the opportunity to pay $900 for $10 2008-W MS gold (with 8,883 mintage). Why? I can sell the 08-W $10 gold instantly. I might be able to move 100 more of them today if they were offered to me. Or, I can put the 08-W $25 plats on ebay for 10 days and after fees net close to nothing right now as there are no "strong" buyers for those. What makes more sense to buy right now? The coin that I can sell in 5 minutes or the one that may take 2-5 years?

Fresh raw 2008-W $25 Platinum Burnished (mintage 2,481) (no thanks right now at $725/coin)

Wondercoin >>

Wondercoin, thanks for the real world account. I have one of those 2008-W $10 gold unc but it would cost you too much to buy it... image It's crazy. I also have the $25 plat unc that should be much higher and it may still. Look at the huge drop in the 2006-W series. I still think they and the rest of the W burnished plats will have their day but only after a few more meltdowns and then the true rarity will be revealed or when Eric's book is released. image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Eric!

Sorry to bother. I just wanted to double check with you on the Britannia mintages.

The Standard Catalogue of World Coins states mintages for 50 Pound Britannias as follows;

90 - 527
    91 - 509
    92 - 500
    93 - 462
    94 - 435
    95 - 500
    96 - 483

Answer: This looks correct to me.

The corresponding mintages for 100 Pound Britannias;

90 - 262 This does not look correct.
    91 - 143 This does not look correct.
    92 - 500
    93 - 500
    94 - 500
    95 - 500
    96 - 2500

I looked into this years ago and I think you will find 90 and 91 cert numbers higher than the listed values. I called around and came to the conclusion that the numbers were bad. Don't know what the correct ones were though.

Eric >>

These figures do not include the 4 coin sets. Another very interesting coin is the 1989 500th Annivercy Spvereign coin/set. There is nothing in this country that's 500 years old. I was recently able to obtain a beautiful 3 coin gold set. Check the Chard web site for British Coins. >>

Hello GAT,

Thx for the info on the Britannia mintages.

The problem I have with the Sovereign Sets is that the mintages seem very high (1989 was 5000?; 2002 was 3000? But they are great, especially the 5Sov's which are big!

So as not to irritate anyone in this thread I shall start a Sovereign & Britannia thread in World Coins Forum.

JCoin

• << <i>Yes, it does.

Wondercoin >>

In China, Platinum is always considered the "upper class" metal, whereas Gold is seen as "entry level".

Conversation between 2 of the 300 million Chinese middle class who know next to nothing about collecting coins:

"Hey, I just upgraded from my 10 year old Gold Rolex to a Platinum Patek Philippe"
    "Hey, let's celebrate that new contract by having dinner tonight, it's a special occasion so I'll bring my best bottle of Lafite rather than drink the usual Australian red"
    "Hey, my husband bought me an extremely hard to get Hermes Crocodile Birkin, everyone is carrying Louis Vuitton monograms nowadays"

"HEY, I JUST MANAGED TO PURCHASE THE RAREST AMERICAN PLATINUM EAGLE COIN, IT'S DATED 2008. NO, NOT GOLD, PLATINUM. IT'S THE "KING" ACCORDING TO THE AMERICANS. AND "8" IS THE MOST IMPORTANT NUMBER TO THE CHINESE. MAN THIS IS SURE NICER THAN THOSE BORING GOLD INGOTS WE'VE BEEN BUYING FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. REALLY FLASHY"

JCoin
    JCoin - Very interesting!! And, response from that 2nd Chinese fellow might also be...

"2008 PLATINUM? I JUST BOUGHT THE 1988 GOLD!!"

Wondercoin

EDITED TO ADD... AND "TWO 8's FOR THE PRICE OF ONE" !!!!!
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, almost to the point of ... free New Car, or keep buffalos? >>

Buffs. no question. The car won't be worth C--- in a few years...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Meant to add...didn't see a single 08 W Buff in Balto.
    "Hey, my husband bought me an extremely hard to get Hermes Crocodile Birkin, everyone is carrying Louis Vuitton monograms nowadays"

So, we are talking upwards of a $100,000.00 handbag. And, you are saying 300,000.000 Chinese are considering buying one of these each day? If so, I am in the wrong buxiness. image

Wondercoin
  • Wondercoin,

You are correct. I am not making any sense. Should have consulted you before starting my Plat Set.

Thx.

JCoin
  • Wondercoin,

You are correct. Two 8"s are better than one.

Thx.

JCoin
    JCoin - I will "stock up" on 1988 gold awaiting those Chinese orders!!

BTW, those handbags are amazing. Did you pick one up for your lady yet?

Wondercoin
  • Wondercoin,

The Hermes Leather Birkin with white gold buckle costs around USD 10,000 and has a waiting list of 3 years. The Hermes CROCODILE Birkin has a waiting list much longer - that is, if you can get on the list in the first place! Hermes have got this alligator farm down in Australia and still can't meet demand. You are right, maybe not 300,000,000 Chinese want these bags, but the number is in the thousands I would say.

I am very curious.... how big an influx of buyers (US or foreign) into the graded Plat market would it take for prices to be effected, given the substantially lower overall mintages as compared to Gold - 100? 1000? more?

JCoin
    If you are asking about PR70DC coins, take a 1999-W $100 for example. Pop 39 after 10+ years of submitting. Forget 1,000 or even 100 new interested buyers. An influx of just (40) interested new buyers could make things very interesting on a pop 39 coin - no? Compare to the 2009 PR70DC Plat... pop 400+ after about 10 weeks give or take of grading.

Regarding - non-70, raw, platinum coins (MS or proof) - with mintages in the 2,000's, 3,000's, etc., who knows exactly how much added demand will be needed to get these coins rolling. IMHO, I do believe even just (100) new collectors would have a very tough time locating a raw 2004, 2005 or 2008 $100 Proof platinum; in fact, I doubt 100 new collectors could pick up a 2004 proof $100 platinum if they took most of the 2010 year to try to do so (absent a sizeable hike in the price level to "shake out" these coins).

Wondercoin
  • Platinum jewerly is more popular in China that most other countries.

Perhaps some of the various years fractional plats will find new homes as rings, charms and pendants in China.

Seriously..............
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >> JCoin - I will "stock up" on 1988 gold awaiting those Chinese orders!! <<

Does MCMLXXXVIII qualify as a lucky date? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Overdate - Very interesting question. We'll have to wait to hear back from JCoin on that one.

Wondercoin

• << <i>Wondercoin,

The Hermes Leather Birkin with white gold buckle costs around USD 10,000 and has a waiting list of 3 years. The Hermes CROCODILE Birkin has a waiting list much longer - that is, if you can get on the list in the first place! Hermes have got this alligator farm down in Australia and still can't meet demand. You are right, maybe not 300,000,000 Chinese want these bags, but the number is in the thousands I would say.

I am very curious.... how big an influx of buyers (US or foreign) into the graded Plat market would it take for prices to be effected, given the substantially lower overall mintages as compared to Gold - 100? 1000? more?

JCoin >>

I agree with Mitch,

The market would feel 100 new serious collectors and 1000 new serious collectors would drive the market crazy.

Eric
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as who is driving up the price of First Strike coins I can safely rule out, coin collectors.

No coin collector would pay a premium for a silly label when they would simply buy the same coin without the label for less. >>

Mmm image I guess, I've only been accumulating for the last 40+ years and not collecting. I for one, do like the looks of a first strike label, and will pay a premium for it. I also know a coin is a coin and why pay more for a label? It's like looking at identical Twins, the better dressed one will "catch the worm."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has gone from the platinum thread to the buffalo thread.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

<< <i>This thread has gone from the platinum thread to the buffalo thread..... >>

Oh yeah?

Thread Title: Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data for moderns
    >> I for one, do like the looks of a first strike label, and will pay a premium for it. <<

I also like the looks of a First Strike label, and will pay a *slight* premium for it. I can accomplish this by buying moderns in MS and Proof 69 First Strike, and avoiding the steep markups for the "perfect" 70s.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread has gone from the platinum thread to the buffalo thread..... >>

Oh yeah?

Thread Title: Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data for moderns >>

I posted this in another thread that went poof this evening:

At Baltimore this weekend I noticed that I didn't notice...
    no...
    2009 UHRs
    2008 Fractional Buffalos
    2009 Platinum
    very, very few graded 2009 and 2010 ASEs (bullion is bullion, eh?)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Platinum jewerly is more popular in China that most other countries. >>

I don't know if it is still the norm, but back when we were getting married a Japanese acquaintance told me that platinum was the thing for wedding rings in Japan because it is more valuable than gold.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh yeah?

Thread Title: Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data for moderns >>

no...
    2009 UHRs
    2008 Fraction Buffalos
    2009 Platinum
    very, very few graded 2009 and 2010 ASEs (bullion is bullion, eh?) >>

So that's what happened to that post.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the seller rubs in the original pricing on the Buff Proof set!!

Wow, what an asencion to the heavens this year has become. Speechless.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh yeah?

no...
    2009 UHRs
    2008 Fractional Buffalos
    2009 Platinum
    very, very few graded 2009 and 2010 ASEs (bullion is bullion, eh?) >>

I did see a table in Balto. with a bunch of 69 and 70 NGC UHRs.

I also saw a table with 5 2009 W Plat proofs.

No 2008 W Buffs or Plats though

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as who is driving up the price of First Strike coins I can safely rule out, coin collectors.

No coin collector would pay a premium for a silly label when they would simply buy the same coin without the label for less. >>

Mmm image I guess, I've only been accumulating for the last 40+ years and not collecting. I for one, do like the looks of a first strike label, and will pay a premium for it. I also know a coin is a coin and why pay more for a label? It's like looking at identical Twins, the better dressed one will "catch the worm." >>

I like the looks as well, knowing full well that the lable has absolutely NO numismatic meaning at all - none.

I'd also be willing to pay a SMALL premium. It's the approx. $7K premium that just blows me away. I just don't get it at all.

• << <i>Platinum jewerly is more popular in China that most other countries.

Perhaps some of the various years fractional plats will find new homes as rings, charms and pendants in China.

Seriously.............. >>

Hi 2mc2ff!

My goodness, that is a terrible thought, seeing all those faces of Liberty melting away.... I really can't imagine why anyone would want to do that...

JCoin

• << <i>>> JCoin - I will "stock up" on 1988 gold awaiting those Chinese orders!! <<

Does MCMLXXXVIII qualify as a lucky date? image >>

Hi Overdate!

Great question. I have thought about this aswell.

Let's see, "8" has it's own Chinese character as well. However, the Arabic numeral is used for street numbering, car registration plates, telephone nos (obviously) and on PANDA COINS....so I would expect that there would be a preference for Arabic numerals over Roman numerals......also the Arabic numeral is/looks like the infinity symbol.

But I prefer 2008 because the "2 0 0 8" looks "neater" than "1 9 8 8". I don't know if this makes sense to anyone????

JCoin
    I like the looks as well, knowing full well that the lable has absolutely NO numismatic meaning at all - none.

I know many disagree but to me that label means the coins were only graded once and were never messed with. it may not be a big deal today but in decades i think the real meaning of the label will be seen.
    The bidders on that 4 coin set are brave, no returns and only 32 feedback.

<< <i>Platinum jewerly is more popular in China that most other countries.

Seriously.............. >>

Back before the fractional Buffalos went stratospheric, I recall seeing some 1/10 ouncers on eBay mounted in rings. Haven't seen any lately.

I bet they would still fetch a premium price . . .

>> I prefer 2008 because the "2 0 0 8" looks "neater" than "1 9 8 8". I don't know if this makes sense to anyone???? <<

I expect 2008 is also a popular date in China because of the Beijing Olympics.

• Regarding these FS Labels....I think the uninitiated foreigners (like myself) would feel somehow that slabs with the FS Labels are "better"/more exclusive and more "American" because of the flag.... actually it's a fantastic piece of marketing from PCGS (whether you agree with it or not)....

Has anyone out there done some analysis/research on how many coins with FS Labels were submitted within the first 30 days AND how many were submitted in sealed boxes after the first 30 days.... ?

Regarding the Buffalo Labels....the special ones with the Buffalo on them were used from 2008 onwards? On both Proof and Bullion Versions?

These should do well in Asia with their 9999 Au content.... Maple Leafs and Kangaroos have done well over here for that very reason I suspect....

JCoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file