Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    [If they ever make a native american dollar coin with either the 1913 or 2005 bison image then they will have a winner! >>

I like the bison design, like many do, but I hope they don't over do it.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>Ironic they are being printed in China.

I sure hope a copy doesn't find its way into the hands of their coin counterfeiters.

We could soon be awash with Jackie Robinsons, 1999-w Unc AGEs and various platinum issues.............. >>

Book printing is in Building A. Don't worry they don't let Building B people in.image
  • I guess you guys know that making fake moderns of any country in China will get you thrown in jail. Its coin that are pre late 1940s that can be counter fit legally in China. Classic guys don't like for that to be pointed out.
  • Eric,

I really like your multi-holder idea for subsets. I think I'll multi-holder 1998-2002 PF70 $10 proof subset and 2003-2008 PF70 $10 proof subset. What do you think about putting an MS69 $5 1999w error with MS70 2006w-2008w $5 gold eagles in MS70 and likewise MS69 $10 error with MS 70 2006w-2008w gold eagles? Would it be better to only put the same grades in a holder?

By the way, thanks for all the great advice on moderns you've given here on the forum I'm very grateful.
  • Numis,

I started my collecting life when putting together complete high grade Franklin halves were popular in the 1980s. I like seeing complete sets in single impressive flat holders. If you want to put a MS-69 1999w with the other three coins in MS-70 together in sets do it. If you were working a complete set of outstanding Franklins would you be uncomfortable with most of the coins being MS-65 full bell lines but the 1949s was a strong mint state issue but not full bell lines? The answer is slap the good looking extremely hard to find coin in and be happy!

I think there will come a day when the modern W mint marked gold will be the rage and having all the mint marked gold in any attractive form will be a privilege for those of modest means.

Numis, I just hate to run my mouth and be wrong but after looking at the deterioration rate of new finds and talking to everyone I know that buys W issue gold in volume it looks like the real coins (translates the same 99w sent in to be graded 90 times does not count) are playing out. So far it looks like 1200-1800 real $10 99w MS gold exist after 10 years of looking and 25-30% of those cant make 69. The 1999w $10 MS gold eagle has a CHANCE of becoming THE GREATEST MODERN PERIOD THE END over the next 20 years. This may not prove to be the case so I don't think people should go out and buy 10 of them but if you collect moderns esp modern gold you need to go buy an attractive one (69/69+) and forget you own it. You are likely already one of the blessed few.

Eric

• Eric,
    Is this the error one?
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Guys -

With all the "passion" over buffalo's (and don't doubt my allegiance either - I love the look of those coins) it makes me stop and think.....

IMO, the USM in the future will stage a comeback of the Buffalo fractionals----- I believe they will appear again.

7o8
  • PCGS calls it an error and the terminology is misleading. NGC and the Red book call them mint state struck with unfinished proof dies. The burnished w gold are standard blanks rolled in the presence of little steel balls then struck with unfinished proof dies. All the w gold issues are unfinished proof die mint state gold 99w, 06w, 07w 08w its all the same.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the w gold issues are unfinished proof die mint state gold 99w, 06w, 07w 08w its all the same.

Except that the 1999w does not come with original government packaging.

I think it is an error coin, as it was not an intentional release (by the Mint, at any rate). As such, it is optional for a complete set, just as the 1990 proof "no mint mark" cent is optional for a complete set of proof Lincoln Memorials.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>I guess you guys know that making fake moderns of any country in China will get you thrown in jail. Its coin that are pre late 1940s that can be counter fit legally in China. Classic guys don't like for that to be pointed out. >>

I guess they don't want any fake pandas around to hurt sales. Mighty honorable of them.
  • Thanks, Eric

• << <i>All the w gold issues are unfinished proof die mint state gold 99w, 06w, 07w 08w its all the same.

"Except that the 1999w does not come with original government packaging." Correct

I think it is an error coin, as it was not an intentional release (by the Mint, at any rate). As such, it is optional for a complete set, just as the 1990 proof "no mint mark" cent is optional for a complete set of proof Lincoln Memorials. >>

Well then what is the 1913 V nickel? At any rate if you think its an error and not a member of the mint state w mint marked gold eagle family then don't buy one. Maybe a bunch of them will be found, serious gold eagle collectors will not want one and the price will crash and you will be proved correct. But if you are wrong then you will have missed what has a even odds shot of being the greatest modern of your generation.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys -

With all the "passion" over buffalo's (and don't doubt my allegiance either - I love the look of those coins) it makes me stop and think.....

IMO, the USM in the future will stage a comeback of the Buffalo fractionals----- I believe they will appear again.

7o8 >>

I think the mint will make another run of w unc platinum fractionals that nobody wants with mintages under 2000.image

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys -

7o8 >>

I think the mint will make another run of w unc platinum fractionals that nobody wants with mintages under 2000.image

... >>

Ugh. Hope not on both counts--at least until I have a job again!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Personally I think the mint has learned from recent experience that it is just as profitable and far easier to make money with fewer issues and larger production runs than to mess with limited demand low production run items.

The real legacy from the UHR may be its impact on US Mint future production plans.

Why screw with the small stuff when you can gross 20-30 million in profit with something like the UHR.

IMO they will always produce what is mandated by law but they will be far more selective in producing coins unless they see a potential for high sales and profits. i.e. Generally coins with >10,000 mintage.

We may have loved 2008 but it was a nightmare year for the mint.

They got whipsawed on spot bullion prices and had a nightmare managing 6 different collector gold and platinum programs each with fractionals. (W Proof and Unc. versions of Gold Eagle/Buffalo along Statue of Liberty Platinum coins)

All of that in addition to regular bullion coin production and special prosperity sets, etc., etc.

IMO they will think long and hard before they reintroduce any of the discontinued items.
  • Have you guys noticed that our thread is a monster (I guess we like to talk). Not counting our thread the top 10 active threads out of over 1000 have a total post count of about 10,000. We are on our way to equaling that on this thread alone.....
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you guys noticed that our thread is a monster (I guess we like to talk). Not counting our thread the top 10 active threads out of over 1000 have a total post count of about 10,000. We are on our way to equaling that on this thread alone..... >>

Look at the strong influence you have on all of us Eric!

Thanks for staying aboard and help guiding the ship......

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a dealer at the St. Louis Show this weekend offering to pay $10,400 for the Unc & the Proof Gold Buff 4-coin sets together in OGP. What's the opinion of this thread on that price?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    With the current low interest in the Spouse coins, does anyone think that the Mint will take any action to increase interest in them? Can they do anything? I was thinking that if they could produce the coins in the 1/4 ounce size it would make them more affordable to the collector but this would require a change in the law. I am thinking that currenty these coins have to be a big loser for the Mint when you consider the cost of design, die manufacturing, and packaging as well as down time in set-up.

Or will they just not care that the program is a loser for the next 7 years because it is not their money they are wasting?

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you guys noticed that our thread is a monster (I guess we like to talk). Not counting our thread the top 10 active threads out of over 1000 have a total post count of about 10,000. We are on our way to equaling that on this thread alone..... >>

Miles >>

This thread is almost a cult. Congratulations Master Eric.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the current low interest in the Spouse coins, does anyone think that the Mint will take any action to increase interest in them? Can they do anything? I was thinking that if they could produce the coins in the 1/4 ounce size it would make them more affordable to the collector but this would require a change in the law. I am thinking that currenty these coins have to be a big loser for the Mint when you consider the cost of design, die manufacturing, and packaging as well as down time in set-up.

Or will they just not care that the program is a loser for the next 7 years because it is not their money they are wasting? >>

Not sure they can change the size of the gold spouse, since it was probably set to half ounce size by legislation.
    ----- kj

<< <i>

<< <i>With the current low interest in the Spouse coins, does anyone think that the Mint will take any action to increase interest in them? Can they do anything? I was thinking that if they could produce the coins in the 1/4 ounce size it would make them more affordable to the collector but this would require a change in the law. I am thinking that currenty these coins have to be a big loser for the Mint when you consider the cost of design, die manufacturing, and packaging as well as down time in set-up.

Or will they just not care that the program is a loser for the next 7 years because it is not their money they are wasting? >>

Not sure they can change the size of the gold spouse, since it was probably set to half ounce size by legislation. >>

Yeah, and I guess changing the size would destroy any vestige of continuity and further hurt the series but it seems something should be done and I would like to anticipate their move if possible. They have got to shake this series up or they will be going sub 1000 on mintages in a couple of years.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭

<< <i>There was a dealer at the St. Louis Show this weekend offering to pay $10,400 for the Unc & the Proof Gold Buff 4-coin sets together in OGP. What's the opinion of this thread on that price? >>

I'd say not too bad coming from a coin show. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush sometimes. One may realize an additional 10-15% more profit if they are sold on eBay, but there are additional risks using that venue as well.

• << <i>There was a dealer at the St. Louis Show this weekend offering to pay $10,400 for the Unc & the Proof Gold Buff 4-coin sets together in OGP. What's the opinion of this thread on that price? >>

.......................................................................................................................

IMO not a bad offer.

Last 2 raw sets closed on Ebay last P.M. at around $5800 for Unc and $6000 for proof.
    Back out the fees and his was a very fair offer to buy...............IMO
    >> With the current low interest in the Spouse coins, does anyone think that the Mint will take any action to increase interest in them? Can they do anything? <<

Yes, they could cut the price by 10 percent to give the coins a more reasonable premium above the gold price.

Currently the premium is 26 percent for the uncirculated spouses and nearly 29 percent for the proofs. For an extended series, that's too high for all but the most deep-pocketed collectors. A more reasonable premium would attract collectors who have the dual purpose of collecting a premium set and accumulating gold (at a reasonable markup).

• << <i>

Miles >>

Well thanks Miles but this thread is the tip of our iceberg for this year. I am VERY excited about KPs new book that goes to print next month. Its 44,000 words, has mintage tables that I have gone around and around with the Mint employees about in a effort to give you guys CORRECT mintage tables on almost everything issued from 1986-2009. Over the last five years I have asked myself many question about moderns, coin history, how the Mint currently behaves, how series behave over time etc but there is almost nothing out there that speaks to us until now.

Guys this may be a pivotal year for us and this is how I hope it turns out:
    1. Modern US Commemoratives comes out in late spring-summer.

2. KP has the first ever moderns only Trade Show in the Fall......The "Krause Modern Coin Expo" with
    All the big moderns dealers
    The US Mint
    Various foreign mints.
    Entrust New Direction seminar by Bill Humphrey for those interested in using self directed IRAs to buy modern eagles.
    Yours truly for the modern coins seminar.
    PCGS & NGC too.

Thats a long wish list but it would be nice!

3. The US Coin Digest (KPs red book) gets a 1986 to 2009 complete overhaul by Debbie Bradley and myself. All coins in each set on one page so the designs are all together, prices for 68, 69 and 70 for all modern eagles, short informative introductions to each series, and the Eagles no longer called bullion but together in a section called simply called "Modern Eagles". Yes it looks like KP could become the modern guys Red Book of choice starting next year!

Point 1 is coming, Point 3 is very likely coming, point 2 KP is thinking about it.

Thanks guys!

Eric Jordan

<< <i>

<< <i>

Miles >>

Well thanks Miles but this thread is the tip of our iceberg for this year. I am VERY excited about KPs new book that goes to print next month. Its 44,000 words, has mintage tables that I have gone around and around with the Mint employees about in a effort to give you guys CORRECT mintage tables on almost everything issued from 1986-2009. Over the last five years I have asked myself many question about moderns, coin history, how the Mint currently behaves, how series behave over time etc but there is almost nothing out there that speaks to us until now.

Guys this may be a pivotal year for us and this is how I hope it turns out:
    1. Modern US Commemoratives comes out in late spring-summer.

2. KP has the first ever moderns only Trade Show in the Fall......The "Krause Modern Coin Expo" with
    All the big moderns dealers
    The US Mint
    Various foreign mints.
    Entrust New Direction seminar by Bill Humphrey for those interested in using self directed IRAs to buy modern eagles.
    Yours truly for the modern coins seminar.
    PCGS & NGC too.

Thats a long wish list but it would be nice!

3. The US Coin Digest (KPs red book) gets a 1986 to 2009 complete overhaul by Debbie Bradley and myself. All coins in each set on one page so the designs are all together, prices for 68, 69 and 70 for all modern eagles, short informative introductions to each series, and the Eagles no longer called bullion but together in a section called simply called "Modern Eagles". Yes it looks like KP could become the modern guys Red Book of choice starting next year!

Point 1 is coming, Point 3 is very likely coming, point 2 KP is thinking about it.

Thanks guys!

Eric Jordan >>

Eric, it is about time someone in the coin publishing arena treated the moderns as something more than ugly stepchildren of numismatics. There is plenty of room in the hobby for moderns and classics. Classic coin collectors I think feel that moderns might suck all the energy out of their classic arena but I think it actually helps the classics. I hope there are accurate mintages of the Spouse series included because the Spouse coins seem to be treated with a double helping of disdain. At least Red Book shows the designs, which surprised me.

We just need them to print the books in the USA.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a nice conversation with Eric. My son, Justin, assisted Eric with the Presidential Dollar section of the book. Needless to say, this book should be an eye-opener to myriad collectors who, to this point, lacked the knowledge and information concerning the great modern coins of the past (20) years. It will also be a great tool for even the advanced modern guys - especially the mintage figure informaiton all in one place. 2010 is already shaping up as a super year for "moderns" notwithstanding the lack of some of the precious metal offerings from the US Mint to this point.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I started my collecting life when putting together complete high grade Franklin halves were popular in the 1980s.
    Eric >>

Since my Barber quarter collection has hit a wall I started collecting Franklin's (2 weeks ago). I look for high grade full bell coins. It seems that many high grade examples must still be left to find, something that seems lacking in many other series. What is the status of your Franklin collection? Can you share any secrets of where I might look for nice Franklin's? I like both the blast white and the colorfully toned coins.

Thanks!
    -Ross
  • Ross,

I am sorry but the last Franklin I bought was in the mid 1990s. I don't have much to share other than to say that they can be completed and they look good in a Lucite board. You will find FBL coins from the San Francisco mint are some kind of hard to find in high grade.

Eric

Giorgio and JCoin.
    Its good to have you guys!
  • Eric,

I am an overseas collector. Your book will be an invaluable source of information.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric,

I am an overseas collector. Your book will be an invaluable source of information. >>

imageimage
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric,

I am an overseas collector. Your book will be an invaluable source of information. >>

image JCoin
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, I just stumbled onto this LONG thread and certainly appreciate all your work in the arena. I've handled a lot of the moderns in my day, even though Kennedys and Lincolns are my main areas. I'm definitely down for a copy of your book, and suspect many (most?) reading this thread will be with me. Wishing you all the best ...
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
    I, too, am VERY excited about this book. Up to this point, Moderns collectors have had nothing useful to work with.
  • So..........With knowledge that the book is coming.......

For those of us who are hopeless speculators we should be hoarding...........???

...1999-W AGE $5 and $10 in MS69-70

...Various 2006-W and 2008-W unc. platinums

...2008-W proof platinums

...2008-W unc $10 AGEs

Anyone got a pre-release top 10 hoard list??

<< <i>I, too, am VERY excited about this book. Up to this point, Moderns collectors have had nothing useful to work with. >>

A leather-bound premium edition of 2,253 copies would be appropriate . . . image

• << <i>So..........With knowledge that the book is coming.......

For those of us who are hopeless speculators we should be hoarding...........???

...1999-W AGE $5 and $10 in MS69-70

...Various 2006-W and 2008-W unc. platinums

...2008-W proof platinums

...2008-W unc $10 AGEs

Anyone got a pre-release top 10 hoard list?? >>

Where are the stampeding 2008-W proof and unc buffalos?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • I didn't want to state the obvious!

<< <i>I didn't want to state the obvious! >>

Just throwing off the hounds! image

No, I think that was a conscious decision based on the fact that these are already at full value for the moment!

I don't know about hoarding, but I do think this is the time to assemble a collection of proof plat fractionals. IMO, the whole series is undervalued and there exists a great deal of uncertainty about surviving populations, especially of the earlier dates. Gorgeous coins, too, so what's not to love?

• << <i>

No, I think that was a conscious decision based on the fact that these are already at full value for the moment!

I don't know about hoarding, but I do think this is the time to assemble a collection of proof plat fractionals. IMO, the whole series is undervalued and there exists a great deal of uncertainty about surviving populations, especially of the earlier dates. Gorgeous coins, too, so what's not to love? >>

I agree.

The window to buy selected moderns on the cheap may be closing.

I hope Eric's book will be wildly successful and if so it will bring in many new collectors.

Get what you want/need now!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>, so what's not to love? >>

The price!

even "undervalued" no one is giving these coins away.

<< <i>

<< <i>, so what's not to love? >>

The price!

even "undervalued" no one is giving these coins away. >>

Well, that IS a real impediment. As I've said before it may take the price of platinum crashing for several years to shake many of these from the grips of their current owners. Then again, sustained high platinum prices may just send more and more of these to the melting pot, ensuring that the prices never drop much below what they are now. A big guessing game. I know that, for coins I'm missing, I'm waiting to buy at more favorable prices, but I also realize that chance may never come. That's part of what makes this series so interesting.
  • Thats exactly why I like the fractional moderns in all series. Tenths are very affordable in all the great modern series. They likely will have the highest appreciation rate. The quarters are affordable to be as rare as they are and large enough to be easy to see.

If I were to start collecting modern sets from scratch I would run with the the 1997-2008 proof platinum eagles quarter set plus the three mint state 2006-2008 MS plats with changing reverses. The mint state gold eagle quarters would be of interest too and I would make certain had the 4 w issues to go with them. I would also want quarter once ms and proof buffalos esp the mint state one.

I started a long time ago so I ran with the halves and finished them out as my prime presentation sets but being middle class thats not where I would start now. The halves in all these sets look GOOD! and at least they are closed so you know how much the end bill is going to be more or less.

Eric
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you keep your packaging!

Without the OGP....

and, with the OGP:

That's worth a couple of grand!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

<< <i>Make sure you keep your packaging!

Without the OGP....

and, with the OGP:

That's worth a couple of grand!

Miles >>

$17,630.00 image
  • He could have bought packaging on Ebay for less than $50................
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a dealer at the St. Louis Show this weekend offering to pay $10,400 for the Unc & the Proof Gold Buff 4-coin sets together in OGP. What's the opinion of this thread on that price? >>

Just getting to this thread for the first time in a week, so sorry if this has been answered. As to the above question, you could clearly do better on Ebay.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the First Strike gold buffalo are still hot on Ebay.

2008-W BUFFALO GOLD 4 COIN PROOF SET PCGS PR70DCAM F/S Sold $17,000 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file