Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• We will just have to see..........

I expect the serious Platinum Proof collectors may want a set to accent their series of proof coins since with the changing reverses they really logically go with the proof rather than bullion coins.

It may take some more numismatic articles, Eric's upcoming book and future year Red Books to spread the word.

Right now I bet many don't even know they exist...............

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An MS70 2008 W Plat unc set just went for $4500. Are they going down in price? I have not been following very closley but I thought that 70 sets were doing better than that.

The fact is that not many have sold. The NGC MS-70 prior to the one you mentioned sold for $4,810.00 but prior to that one, there were several listed above $5,200.00 but none of them sold. There's really not enough data points to demonstrate a trend in either direction, yet.

The most recent PCGS MS-70 set sold for $9,202.00.

The single coins have a little more frequent selling activity than the 4-coin sets. All of the 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., and 1 oz. coins (in NGC MS-69 and NGC MS-70) have shown increases of 60% to 100% just since the mintages were finalized. There are very few PCGS-graded coins being sold, period.

I dont' think that the 2008-W Uncs are in limbo at all. I can probably make a case for the other burnished uncs as well.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The plats are like a slow boat to China, little by little prices will go up, but it may take many months or even years is my guess. Perhaps the economy has to heal so people have more money to spend, they are not like the gold buffalo coins.

It could also be what we talked about earlier, the 2006 and 2008 coins w unc are close enough in mintage that they steal each others thunder, not like a one year low mintage coin. That being said I would not sell any of the W plats at these prices, they are too cheap in here IMO.

PS Some brave soul was trying to sell a sealed box of 75 1/10 plats.
  • tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    What is going on with prices of the 1999 w gold? They seem to be pulling back.

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Try to hold onto a long term perspective. The market bounces around constantly. 1999w mint state gold is not a 12 month hold, its one of those few moderns that have serious long term potential. Relax. Anyone that wants a serious modern gold collection should go buy a strong example and sit on it.
  • tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    That is definitely my plan. I was curious if there was some current "issue" affecting the price.
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Comments... In today's Ebay market, would a seller typically get more for a PCGS certified set of four 2008 W MS Gold Buffalos with different grades by selling the individual pieces or as a set? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Unless a couple of the bigger coins are 70's you would probably get more by cracking them and selling them as a raw set.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I feel I have to state my point again......."take some of your profits off the table"

this doesnt mean sell your ONLY examples of a particular series........

example: SUPER-INFLATED prices of FS Buffalo's..........take some profits boys and girls, once the next best thing attracts the money those moon money set and single prices are history.......

here comes the flack, I already feel it and i haven't even posted the message yet!!!!

this DOESN'T mean that the W Buffalo's will revert back to issue price, he&& no!!!, but you could see a several thousand dollar drop in those set prices, especially FS sets.

as for the W Plats, like Eric says, "put them away and sit on them"

those plats are EXTREMELY rare - I don't buy the bs about being close in mintage either......they are EXTREMELY rare with no other competitors EVEN CLOSE!

smart money flows to underpriced rarities, not to Buffalo "bubbles".
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<example: SUPER-INFLATED prices of FS Buffalo's..........take some profits boys and girls, once the next best thing attracts the money those moon money set and single prices are history.......>>

7over8...for raw Buff Proof and Unc sets (not the totally outrageous FS stuff)...what percentage of the current prices do you see as hot air at the moment?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops...sorry about the double post...itchy out in the eastern snowlands here in NY!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some of these white hot issues are in bubbles and it is hard to tell what a fair price is.

how many are true collectors and how many are get rich flippers or speculators? it's hard to know.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    ...as for the W Plats, like Eric says, "put them away and sit on them"

But wouldn't that artificially tone them?

Sorry-couldn't resist-will try better next time.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • On the FS Buffalos I agree they are grossly overpriced but IMO so are all FS labels including the 2008-w MS/PR platinum FS coins.

After all..............are we coin or paper label collectors??

On the more important question of 2008-W buffalo gold vs. 2008-W platinum the answer isn't so clear.

In collecting, price doesn't equate to mintage alone rather price is a product of demand/availability.

If mintage alone determined price then many classics such as 1909-S V.D.B. would be far less expensive.

There is one coin that can be used for comparison purposes..............the 2001 Buffalo dollar.

It consistantly sells in MS/PR for 5X issue price 9 years from issue and yet its mintage is higher than many other $1 silver commemoratives.

As far as the 2008 platinum vs. buffalo question there are simply far, far more gold/buffalo collectors than platinum collectors.

This was true long before 2008 as evidenced by 10 years of gold eagle vs. platinum eagle sales.

From reading this board I believe some on this thread likely still hold mini hoards of 2008 MS/PR platinum but few hoards of buffalos.

• << <i>Guys our friends at the mint strike to "anticipated demand". Now we know the sales have been dropping in a random manner for the last 3 years for the first hags. The last ms coins to sell were the Adams and VanBuren in the 4200-4300 range. Now the seriously ugly Anna is going out in the 3100-3200 range as is the Letitia issue unless something changes. The Mint is seeing demand in the 3-4 K range at this time. Now if they strike the issues for this year in this range that may indicate that the Buchanan will be short struck also. Point being even if demand bounces back some this year after KPs book comes out that covers the FS coins in great detail we may just go from a situation where the first half of the year does not sell well due to lack of demand and the second half of the year has low mintages because so few were struck sell outs start showing up.

The trick is just being low mintage may not be good enough because the series as horrible cohesion problems and each coin is going to stand or fall on its own combination of rarity and looks. A seriously ugly old hag thats lowest mintage by say 5% may languish endlessly while a 3,900 mintage good looking coin or more importantly key date to the 4 coin liberty set takes off and runs.

Guys the fractional mint marked gold holding incredibly tight bottlenecks in massive multi million coin populations are gone, the amazingly popular buffs worth having are gone, the fractional plats with their awesome sub 5,000 mintages that have good series cohesion and consistently good designs came and went. There is nothing left for the foreseeable future but the first hags because Congress will not let the mint scrap them. Some are non key dogs and will be melt for ever until the day comes that so many have been sold for scrap and melted into bars that they become dark horses keys. But you can count on it.......... good looking US gold in the 3-4k mintage range will produce some serious winners and there are precious few other places to look (unless you want to chase never to be great 10k mintage $100 plats and 50,000 mintage gold $50 buffs).

It is my view that the 4-coin liberty set will be a serious collector item over time. The only question in this regard is will the Buchanan or the Vanburen rule the set and by extension be the greatest of the first hags? If Christmas comes early the Buchanan will be struck to anticipated demand and come in 3,xxx in a sell out when it’s too late to strike more. Then we will be back off the races. The flippers that pulled down 20,000 ugly old women in 48 hours will start looking at them again and as usual the opportunity will vanish and a bottom may be formed.

Yes I will be watching the first hags very closely this year. I think those that want a Buchanan should buy what they need for their set when they go on sale and not play chicken with the Mint and the sales report. Vanburren and Buchanan as a pair will have their day. Some other issues may too but they are harder to forecast this far out.

Good night,

Eric Jordan

PS: There you guys go getting me into another long rant! :-) >>

Great advice, thanks, I plan on getting the Buchanan when it comes out of the gate and will not buy another until JFK's wife comes out. I think she will be an immediate sell out.
    how many are true collectors and how many are get rich flippers or speculators?

How many years have to elapse before you are no longer considered a flipper? Just askin'.

Speculator - yes - guilty, guilty, guilty.

If you saw the Gold Buffs and the "W" American Gold Eagles, and "W" Proof and Unc Platinum Eagles as good speculations, and took the risk to buy them what, exactly is wrong with getting rich doing that?

Apparently, they are highly-sought. It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as they say...

I knew it would happen.
    Just my opinion but I would say if you get a coin and sell it before you even take it out of the box you are most likely a "flipper". A speculator sells within 5 years and a "true collector" is one whose wife sell them to a dealer at 20 cents on a dollar after he is dead.
    .....Those plats are EXTREMELY rare - I don't buy the bs about being close in mintage either......they are EXTREMELY rare with no other competitors EVEN CLOSE!.........

Actually I am taking a wild guess here but it appears some of the spouse coins will be somewhat close, mintage in the 3000 range. For gold that would probably be called VERY CLOSE. Maybe a better question is which will have a better long-term return, lowest mintage spouse gold or plat unc?
    unless the spouse was part of the Liberty subset, I wouldn't have any of them

they are dogs. Plats definitely over spouses.
    2many -

dont bet the farm that there arent many hoards of buffalos.....
    RichR -

For the raw coins, I believe the Proofs are also overpriced. Not nearly as rediculous as the FS coins.

The one ounce proof is by far the one coin that stands out as overpriced.

The one ounce Unc is notoriously underpriced.

The half ounce DOGS are overpriced in both Prf and Unc. They should go for no more than $900 bucks each. $1400-$1500 or more each...raw....is in no way substantiated by their high mintages.

• drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the proof $25 08 Buffalo was the lowest mintage in the fractional set as well as the lowest mintage of any size gold Buffalo proof.
    lowest mintage in the fractional set

no, the 1/4 oz. Unc and 1 oz. Unc are lower

the lowest mintage of any size gold Buffalo proof

yes, as far as I know - this is correct.

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>On the FS Buffalos I agree they are grossly overpriced but IMO so are all FS labels including the 2008-w MS/PR platinum FS coins.

After all..............are we coin or paper label collectors??

On the more important question of 2008-W buffalo gold vs. 2008-W platinum the answer isn't so clear.

In collecting, price doesn't equate to mintage alone rather price is a product of demand/availability.

If mintage alone determined price then many classics such as 1909-S V.D.B. would be far less expensive.

There is one coin that can be used for comparison purposes..............the 2001 Buffalo dollar.

It consistantly sells in MS/PR for 5X issue price 9 years from issue and yet its mintage is higher than many other $1 silver commemoratives.

As far as the 2008 platinum vs. buffalo question there are simply far, far more gold/buffalo collectors than platinum collectors.

This was true long before 2008 as evidenced by 10 years of gold eagle vs. platinum eagle sales.

From reading this board I believe some on this thread likely still hold mini hoards of 2008 MS/PR platinum but few hoards of buffalos. >>

i like the pcgs first stike coins....

the key is getting them when they first come out.
    in 2008....
    i paid $ 1245.00 for the proof 70 buffalo $ 50.00.
    and 1145.00 for the ms70 2008 w $ 50.00.

first stike coins will always command more money, like it or not, its just a fact. get them when they first come and you won't pay inflated prices. one more point , i seen on e-bay all the time , that first stikes will always out sell or sell first.

now no one knew what would happen with these, and i won't say i knew either. but i won't say i over paid.

as for long term, i think the 2008w $ 50.00 will past the proof in price, being only one year and less than 9100 made.
  • No one would argue that to date the FS labels seem to bring more money but from a purely numismatic point of view they are an optional area of collecting akin to the gold foil and other special edition baseball trading cards of recent years.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am intriged by the assertion that the "higher mintage" of some of the Buffs underscores the value.

What mintages of other fractional gold buffalos would you compare that to?

When computing or realizing the market value of the Gold Buff Fractionals, what yardstick or comparable medium would one accurately use?

Is the AGE fractional an appropriate comaprison. If not, then what would be?

I curently see no comparitive value in Gold Coins with the Gold Buffalo Fractionals that allows me to base an accurate or predictive price.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am intriged by the assertion that the "higher mintage" of some of the Buffs underscores the value. What mintages of other fractional gold buffalos would you compare that to?

That's easy, just compare the lowest mintage year to the highest mintage year!

Oh, wait, never mind . . . image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

no comparison to other buff fractionals as they were only offered in 08 - i should state the obvious on my posts as many of the forum members love to point it out.....I guess they have nothing more substantial to add ????

but if you look at mintage levels of "moderns" where collectors start to get "excited", it is far less than some of those buffs.

for example, sub 10,000 mintage on the 1 oz unc is nice...........

20,000 on the proof 1 oz is not so exciting.......

definitely NOT exciting is the mintage on the $25 unc.......a dog......

• << <i>no comparison to other buff fractionals as they were only offered in 08 - i should state the obvious on my posts as many of the forum members love to point it out.....I guess they have nothing more substantial to add ????

but if you look at mintage levels of "moderns" where collectors start to get "excited", it is far less than some of those buffs.

definitely NOT exciting is the mintage on the $25 unc.......a dog...... >>

the tenth oz. i think might always carry a heavy $. mintage aside,
    the tenths have another thing going for them....theyre CHEAP.

if you can only afford one of the coins, that's the one you'll buy because it's cheap.

<< <i>but if you look at mintage levels of "moderns" where collectors start to get "excited", it is far less than some of those buffs.

30,000 1995 W silver eagle proof owners might disagree. That coin is a modern and is selling for thousands.

• << <i>the tenths have another thing going for them....theyre CHEAP.

if you can only afford one of the coins, that's the one you'll buy because it's cheap. >>

you are good !!! lol

400-600 price range, most people can afford. thats why i made that statement. still good money over issue price...
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...as for the W Plats, like Eric says, "put them away and sit on them"

But wouldn't that artificially tone them?

Sorry-couldn't resist-will try better next time. >>

Plats don't tone :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Ebay linky

Wow it looks like the buffalo gold has rubbed off on the eagle coins. Look at the price they want.

LOL.

• << <i>Ebay linky

Wow it looks like the buffalo gold has rubbed off on the eagle coins. Look at the price they want.

LOL. >>

i don't even know why these people bother.image
    I guess that is the side effect of free insertion fees.
  • On a off note I am in the process of trying to get a new group of pictures into KPs moderns book before it goes to print in 4 weeks.

Multi coin holders:
    2008w $50 $25, $10 $5 buff gold and $1 silver buff MS-70 5 coin set. Slab looks great!
    1997-2002 $50 proof platinum eagle PR-70 six coin slab
    2003-2008 $50 proof platinum eagle PR-70 six coin slab
    ----thats the entire 12 coin cameo proof set-talk about 50 states quarters on roids!

Already in the text are:
    2005-2008 $50 mint state platinum type set MS-70 slab

1999-w, 2006-w, 2007-w, 2008-w $10 MS-70 gold eagle 4 coin slab

• << <i>no comparison to other buff fractionals as they were only offered in 08 - i should state the obvious on my posts as many of the forum members love to point it out.....I guess they have nothing more substantial to add ????

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The good are not the enemy of the best.

I know it is frustrating but you just have to accept that the buffalo design in gold is very popular and regardless of relative mintage it sells well and will likely continue to do so.

It is clear that you hold, as do I, some 2008-W Unc. Platinum $25 1/4 oz coins.

Great coins.............true modern rarities.

Only problem is platinum coins have a limited following..............very limited when compared to gold in general and buffalo in particular.

It doesn't do any good to keep ranting about relative mintages when that is only part of value equation.

Value = a product of demand/availability................Don't forget the Demand part of that equation.

Buy what you like...........hoard what you can afford.............but don't fight the tape.

Someone said platinum coins were on a slow boat to China............perhaps more so than we realize.

Platinum jewlery is very popular in China and China in now the worlds largest car market.

Spot price of platinum and base value of platinum coins may in future hinge more on what China does than we would like to admit..................

Yeah, if availability was the only factor then many of the recent Spouses would be selling in the multiple thousands now.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    How about a pic?
    imageimageimage
    Nice pic Smokin'!

Never underestimate the power of passion over numbers.

Apples to oranges, there is only one year of Buff fractionals, so far.

No comparisons neccesary, except in one's imagination. The market will decide, in the end.

Miles

• << <i>Yeah, if availability was the only factor then many of the recent Spouses would be selling in the multiple thousands now. >>

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

If you you want a real idea of how design can effect value(real or percieved) consider the 2005 bison nickel.

Mintage close to 1 billion and yet they are still hoarded and rarely seen in circulation.

These will never be anything but common but you still can't find them circulating..........go figure.

If they ever make a native american dollar coin with either the 1913 or 2005 bison image then they will have a winner!
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Sounds great! We should expect it to be available in late March then?
  • I WISH!

They are issued to print in mid to late march in China and then they have to be printed and then slow boat from china back. June I would guess.

Eric

<< <i>I WISH!

They are issued to print in mid to late march in China and then they have to be printed and then slow boat from china back. June I would guess.

Eric >>

Let's here it for China. Hip, Hip, Harump. Nothing like going to the coin collectors best friends to print a coin book.
  • Ironic they are being printed in China.

I sure hope a copy doesn't find its way into the hands of their coin counterfeiters.

We could soon be awash with Jackie Robinsons, 1999-w Unc AGEs and various platinum issues..............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file