Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the $4.50 specials have me spoiled, and I'm having a hard time getting myself to want to sub under the $6.00 special. Also I have NO patience for the group subs.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Which set on the registry belongs to Goucolts? I'm trying to figure it out but must be having an ADD moment. Or is it another set that is just gonna "pop up"?
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am about to jump off into small time Ripken collecting. I have recently acquired the 1982 and 1982 Topps Traded in PSA 9 and have several in grading right now at psa. I am just going to try to grab the basic Topps, Donruss and Fleer stuff in PSA 9, unless a deal can be found on 10s.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>I am about to jump off into small time Ripken collecting. I have recently acquired the 1982 and 1982 Topps Traded in PSA 9 and have several in grading right now at psa. I am just going to try to grab the basic Topps, Donruss and Fleer stuff in PSA 9, unless a deal can be found on 10s. >>

Welcome to the madness! Glad to see the Ripken "bug" is starting to spread!
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which set on the registry belongs to Goucolts? I'm trying to figure it out but must be having an ADD moment. Or is it another set that is just gonna "pop up"? >>

He doesn't have a registry set yet. I've sold a few cards to him and emailed him a bit back and forth, pretty nice guy. Didn't seem that interested in the registry though. But if he does ever add one I'm sure it will be in the top 5.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am about to jump off into small time Ripken collecting. I have recently acquired the 1982 and 1982 Topps Traded in PSA 9 and have several in grading right now at psa. I am just going to try to grab the basic Topps, Donruss and Fleer stuff in PSA 9, unless a deal can be found on 10s. >>

Welcome to the madness! Glad to see the Ripken "bug" is starting to spread! >>

I collecting him some as a kid. I always liked him. I have recently got back into baseball collecting, mainly getting slabbed stuff of guys I followed back in the mid to late 80s.
  • Options

That's how I started collecting graded Ripkens. I only wanted to collect the Basic Topps cards in PSA 9. Then it moved to JUST the Basic Topps, Fleer, and Donruss in PSA 9. Then I picked up my first PSA 10 for a great price (a 1988 Fleer), and it was all down hill from there! Glad to see you're picking it up! Good luck!

Does anyone else remember their first PSA 10 Ripken?
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone else remember their first PSA 10 Ripken? >>

95 Donruss. When I first looked at the registry I looked for cards with a 0 pop for PSA 10. I then looked on Ebay for different boxes. I found a lot of 5 95 Donruss boxes for $25. I bought them, pulled a few Ripkens and picked out the best one to submit for free on my sign up voucher. If I remember correctly I pulled a Paul O'Neil Elite out of a pack that contained a Ripken also. I don't know if it was the one I submitted but I do remember seeing the Elite and thinking it was a great pack, then I saw the Ripken and almost jumped off my couch.
  • Options
    I just looked through my PSA's and honestly can't remember what my first one was. I believe my first graded Ripken was a BGS 8.5 2001 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics that was a self submission. And my first high grade was a BGS 9.5 (old flip) 2001 Topps Traded 82 Reprint. I was going for BGS cards back when they seemed to be a little more strict on the grading. At some point though I flipped over to PSA.
  • Options
    Well I am hoping for my first Ripken 10 (actually multiples) with these I have into PSA right now:

1983 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr
    1984 Fleer Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1984 Donruss Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1985 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr.
    1986 Topps Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1986 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr.
    1986 Fleer All Star Insert Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1991 Bowman Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1992 Topps Cal Ripken, Jr. x2
    1994 Topps Cal Ripken, Jr.
  • Options
    Wow... did anyone happen to see this auction?

Would have been cool to have!
  • Options
    That would be awesome! Talk about a challenge!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Holy crap!! That is an insane collection!! Talk about a cool project, but with not much reward. It sold for about $1.27 per stub! Could you imagine them all slabbed though? Wow... it sucks that he had to sell.
  • Options
    psa-set-guy just posted a ton of BIN auctions under a new ID, ocsi. Any idea why? I wonder if he'll still use psa-set-guy... There's a ton of pretty decent PSA 10 Ripkens for $12 and free shipping. Unfortunately I don't need any (probably since I bought them all from him already). image
  • Options

<< <i>psa-set-guy just posted a ton of BIN auctions under a new ID, ocsi. Any idea why? I wonder if he'll still use psa-set-guy... There's a ton of pretty decent PSA 10 Ripkens for $12 and free shipping. Unfortunately I don't need any (probably since I bought them all from him already). image >>

We will still be using the psa-set-guy id however it will just be for auctions only. The OCSI id will be our new ebay store.
    Thanks,
    Nate
    psa-set-guy eBay store

Orange County Sports Inv.
    psasetguy@yahoo.com
    (714) 373-9800
  • Options
    Cool, thanks Nate!
  • Options
  • Options
    I never learned about how etopps cards work. Nice card though!
  • Options
    I finally got one!! image

1982 Topps #21 PSA 10
  • Options

<< <i>I never learned about how etopps cards work. Nice card though! >>

Basically they put out an offering of a certain amount of each card each week. You "buy in" with how many you want (lucky to get more than 1). Once they get allocated the next week you can trade and sell them online without ever possesing the card. Basically it just moves from your account into someone elses. The system tracks the average selling price of the cards online and forces you to make fair trades. If you ever want the cards in-hand submit your order at the end of the season and pay for shipping.

There you go eTopps 101

BTW Nice job on the Topps RC!
  • Options
    Dude... really?? 1994 Topps PSA 10

Didn't this card sell for less than $50 not too long ago? I swear I remember missing one of these within the last 6 months or so and it ended for less than $50. I remember kicking myself over it. What's been up with these prices lately?? Craziness...

I was planning on going after that 1995 Topps PSA 10, but I already know I don't stand a chance.
  • Options
    I planned on taking a shot at it. Although it will be much more refined then it usually is.
  • Options
    I'm in the process of working a deal on something that will drop all your jaws when I scan it!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in the process of working a deal on something that will drop all your jaws when I scan it! >>

Looking forward to it image

Any idea when you'll have the deal complete?
  • Options
    tell us what it is
  • Options
    Can't hold us in suspense like that!! Hint at least? image
  • Options
    It includes a very classic photo of Cal, Tommy Lasorda and Shawn Dunston have something to do with this, it comes from the early 90's, and I should have it by the end of next week.

To be continued...
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Seeing that ticket auction sell so cheap hurts my stomach a little.
    I would have thought it would sell for much more than that.

What a great challenge that would be to complete!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Anyone here get that 1995 Topps PSA 10? Yowsers...
  • Options
    Got some very nice pick ups from a local card show today. I'll scan the cards a little later.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got some very nice pick ups from a local card show today. I'll scan the cards a little later. >>

What is a local card show?

In all seriousness, sounds like fun. Looking forward to the haul.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>What is a local card show? >>

Typically the first saturday of every month there is a sports card / memorabilia show at the Witchduck BINGO hall on Virginia Beach Blvd in Virginia Beach, VA. There are usually 30-35 tables set up by local vendors.

Here are the Ripkens I grabbed up, enjoy!

I traded for the TCMA. I haggled for about 45 minutes until I convinced the guy that I've forgotten more about Ripken cards then he'll ever know and he started giving me more reasonable deals. In the end we settled for 2 Elite autos (I kept the best one of my 3) for the TCMA and $50. How do you think I did? I honestly think it's a sure shot for a 10! Also do you guys think I should remove the film from the Blue certified or not. I'm voting to remove it. The small shinny thing is a 92 Panini sticker and finally it is very hard to see but the patch card is numbered 03/10. I haggled down to $45 from $100. So how did I do?
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Very nice haul! I have the bug to go to a show or some yard sales...
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I think you did GREAT on the TCMA trade! Love the others too! I wish I didn't live in a football-lovers area. Ripken cards at a show are slim pickings around here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is a local card show? >>

Typically the first saturday of every month there is a sports card / memorabilia show at the Witchduck BINGO hall on Virginia Beach Blvd in Virginia Beach, VA. There are usually 30-35 tables set up by local vendors.

Here are the Ripkens I grabbed up, enjoy!

I really enjoyed the Witchduck show when I was stationed at Fort Monroe. There was always a short retired Navy guy who had pretty good vintage cards at great prices.
  • Options
    Love you avatar! Mmmmm Yuengling... they don't sell it here in Ohio, but I always drink it when I'm visiting PA and the east coast. image
  • Options
    Dang it! That 1982 Fleer PSA 10 went for only $357.99. I would have went after that one if I hadn't just got the Topps. The Fleer has half the Population than the Topps... oh well. Next time I guess.
  • Options
    Nice group of Autos this guy has up.

8 down 42 to go!

EDIT: Just checked his feedback and it looks like he sold 4 others too.
  • Options
    That guy recently sold 15 of those same autos! What, did he have all 50 or something??
  • Options
    People are weird like that. I was big on 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads a few years back. I actually pulled 2 different Lou Brock Century Star Auto / Prime Swatch combo which were all numbered /5. Then I saw 1 pop up on Ebay and bought that one too. So here I was with 3 of the 5 copies of this card on a quest for the other 2. Finally I saw 1 pop on Ebay, I swoop in with a rediculously high bid but got out-swooped with an even more insane bid. So I gave up my quest. I ended up trading the 3 I had to a buddy of mine for a bunch of Red Sox autos and jerseys. I don't know what I would have done with them had I got all 5 but it was a fun ride while it lasted.
  • Options
    i have a 1998 fleer cal ripken jr vintage 63.i think i have the wrong label on it,the label reads 1998 fleer card # 8 and then has cals name.when i tried to put it in my master set,it will not add it..has this happen to any one else ? i have email psa about it already .
  • Options

<< <i>i have a 1998 fleer cal ripken jr vintage 63.i think i have the wrong label on it,the label reads 1998 fleer card # 8 and then has cals name.when i tried to put it in my master set,it will not add it..has this happen to any one else ? i have email psa about it already . >>

Have a scan of the card?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looking for a little help on value here...

15715534 GEM MINT 10 1995 SCORE 3 CAL RIPKEN JR. PLATINUM TEAM SET Card US

can anyone help?

thanks...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>i have a 1998 fleer cal ripken jr vintage 63.i think i have the wrong label on it,the label reads 1998 fleer card # 8 and then has cals name.when i tried to put it in my master set,it will not add it..has this happen to any one else ? i have email psa about it already . >>

That has to be my old one, I ended up just selling it because I didn't want the hassle of sending it back and having the flip fixed. (Here's the auction) I made sure I mentioned it in the item description, unlike the person I bought it from originally (a high-volume seller). I believe you are the person who bought it from me (workclothing), and if you are not satisfied with your purchase, I would be more than willing to make up for it with another Ripken. Unfortunately it would have to be another card, since I have no more 1998 Fleer. I know I sell to you all the time, so I'm sure I will eventually find another card you need for your Master Set. Let me know what you think. I'm sorry about that man.

EDIT: If you look way back inside this thread, you would find where I made this discovery. Actually, that card worked in the 1998 Fleer Basic slot until a "mystery person" notified PSA, and then PSA contacted me saying someone had contacted them about the error flip. I had just assumed that actually was the real 1998 Fleer base card because I wasn't familiar with the 1998 Fleer set, and had no idea what it was supposed to look like. I had put too much faith in PSA's flip accuracy, lol.
  • Options
    jeffcbay
    thanks for the offer to take back the card,i will send it in and get it relabeled.
  • Options
    I'll still contact you when I have a PSA 9 that I upgraded with a 10. I'll compare it to your Master Set and contact you when I have one. I just feel bad because I thought you were aware of the flip error. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    I have a deal in the works for 2 WTF sets...
    EDIT: 1 of the sets is sealed!

*This isn't my big acquisition which should be here probably tomorrow!
  • Options
    Sealed?? WTF!! (pun intended) image

Can't wait to see some scans!!
  • Options
    The big thing that is holding things up is that he doesn't have a scanner. So I'm waiting for photocopies to come via "snail mail" as we call it in the Navy. But regardless I'm going to be relentless in trying to acquire these for my collection.
  • Options
    1100!!

Wow, that's interesting, sending photocopies through snail mail? Too funny. Hope you get them for a good deal!