Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been seeing a lot of new id's bidding up all the Ripkens lately. I sure hope there isn't another start up registry set out there that I'll have to compete with. >>

Well, just so you know, that's my ID on the Meadow Gold. image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    How did you guys do with psa-set-guy's auctions this weekend? I ended up with 10 cards, including 2 Basic Set upgrades. I wish I could have gone higher on some of the other Basic Set cards that I needed, but I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    Sadly, I needed 50 and bid on zero. I've got a deal in the works for both 1982 Fleer Test cards. That pretty much chewed up all my money. image

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I won 5 and got outbid on 5 (which is pretty crazy) 4 of my wins will be going into my Basic set once they come in.

Won:
    96 Upper Deck
    01 Upper Deck
    88 Fleer #640
    94 Ultra
    01 Stadium Club

Outbid:
    98 Topps
    95 Ultra
    96 Ultra
    87 Fleer #33
    88 Fleer #635
  • Options

<< <i>Sadly, I needed 50 and bid on zero. I've got a deal in the works for both 1982 Fleer Test cards. That pretty much chewed up all my money. image

Kevin >>

Let us know if that works out! And post scans of course!
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a card I thought the board members might enjoy. I pulled out of a pack a few years ago.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post of the pic.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    are you a mariner fan?
  • Options
    Do we know who took down the 98 Topps? I missed the auction end.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    I am a mariner fan, have been since I was a little kid. I wont give up on them, a lot of great experiences.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! I got one!!!!!!!!!!!

2 2 15842766 GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US

The rest of my 18 Ripken cards that I subbed got BRUTAL grades... but all in all I received 5 upgrades to my Basic set! So far this is my fourth 1995 Studio that I've subbed, and I've received two 8s, an 8.5, and this 9. Tough to get in 10!!

Here's my total results:

1 1 15842764 GEM MINT 10 2009 TOPPS 353 DEREK JETER Card US (shot in the dark)
    2 1 15842765 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    2 2 15842766 GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (YES!!!)
    3 1 15842767 MINT 9 2001 DONRUSS 3 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (replaces my 8!)
    3 2 15842768 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 DONRUSS 3 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    4 1 15842769 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 LEAF 218 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (already have it in 8)
    4 2 15842770 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 LEAF 218 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    5 1 15842771 MINT 9 1997 SELECT 71 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (replaces my 8.5!) POP 1 & none higher!
    6 1 15842772 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 PINNACLE 214 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    6 2 15842773 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 PINNACLE 214 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    7 1 15842774 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 STUDIO 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    7 2 15842775 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1996 STUDIO 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    8 1 15842776 NEAR MINT 7 1996 ULTRA 11 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    9 1 15842777 NEAR MINT 7 1995 SELECT 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    10 1 15842778 MINT 9 1995 STUDIO 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (replaces my 8.5!) POP 2 & none higher!
    11 1 15842779 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1995 TOPPS 588 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    11 2 15842780 NEAR MINT 7 1995 TOPPS 588 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (sucks)
    12 1 15842781 MINT 9 1994 DONRUSS 40 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (replaces my 8!)
    12 2 15842782 NEAR MINT 7 1994 DONRUSS 40 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    13 1 15842783 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 340 PAUL SPLITTORFF Card US (pop 5, only 2 higher)
    14 1 15842784 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 487 ASTROS TEAM PRESTON GOMEZ, MGR. Card US
    15 1 15842785 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 538 DUFFY DYER Card US

Total Items: 22
    Date Received: 8/12/2009
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK
  • Options

<< <i>Do we know who took down the 98 Topps? I missed the auction end. >>

$154.49... ouch! No clue, tuna may know since I think he keeps track of the who's who in asterisks! image
  • Options

<< <i>YES!!!!!!!!!!! I got one!!!!!!!!!!!

2 2 15842766 GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US

The rest of my 18 Ripken cards that I subbed got BRUTAL grades... but all in all I received 5 upgrades to my Basic set! So far this is my fourth 1995 Studio that I've subbed, and I've received two 8s, an 8.5, and this 9. Tough to get in 10!! >>

Nice! Congrats on the huge pop! Mine will come one day...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do we know who took down the 98 Topps? I missed the auction end. >>

$154.49... ouch! No clue, tuna may know since I think he keeps track of the who's who in asterisks! image >>

jenniferp20 is the username, not sure if they have a registry or not... they also won a 2000 Topps #4 on 7-20-09 for $42.44
  • Options
    You da man! image
  • Options
    Haha thanks image

So is this card mislabeled by PSA? The Inside Axcess are supposed to have it stamped on the front and are serially #'d to 50. That's a big boo boo on PSA's part.
  • Options
    Good call, they're supposed to have a gold foil stamp on the front like this Matt Williams.
  • Options
    This one is also mislabeled... way to go PSA! Guess we need to start paying close attention to some of these cards.
  • Options
    when they make label mistakes, do you guys bring it to their attention by email or phone?
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I've had cards re-labeled for free by sending them in. Although postage to PSA is not covered, which I think should somehow be recovered. Not sure what they do in the case of an auction for a card you don't own. It would certainly deceive an unsuspecting buyer. I would send Cosetta an email and let her know.

Kevin
  • Options
    Jeff,

I just looked at your ripken set..simply breathtaking. Congrats on an amazing collection.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Felicia
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Congrats on the 01!!!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Thanks Felicia and cyots! image
  • Options
    Well, I saved my money for awhile and got myself a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken and sent it to PSA. I thought it would get a 5 or even a 6...it got a 7! I think tunahead has one too and his is nicer than mine.

I'll post my pics when I get the card back! I secured the deal for the 1982 Fleer Test cards and will post those when they arrive.

I've been looking for these cards for years! What are some other cards people have gotten that have just taken years to find or finance? It sure is a good feeling to finally get them!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I saved my money for awhile and got myself a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken and sent it to PSA. I thought it would get a 5 or even a 6...it got a 7! I think tunahead has one too and his is nicer than mine.

I'll post my pics when I get the card back! I secured the deal for the 1982 Fleer Test cards and will post those when they arrive.

I've been looking for these cards for years! What are some other cards people have gotten that have just taken years to find or finance? It sure is a good feeling to finally get them!

Kevin >>

Wow nice on the 7 and the Fleer Tests!! Congrats! My Aqueous Test will go into PSA someday... I'm expecting a 7 or 8. I won that 1986 Meadow Gold Milk unused carton for quite a bit more than I was hoping to pay for it... but I've been looking for one for a few years. The Aqueous Test was definitely a nice one to cross off. I would love to pick up the Fleer Test pair but I doubt I'll see those for awhile, plus I don't think I could afford them right now.
  • Options
    I had to save for several months for the Fleer Test cards plus sell a bunch of stuff on eBay to pay for them. I got the dealer to hold them for me which was nice.

Kevin
  • Options
    Was it a local dealer or someone you found on the net?
  • Options
    I thought I remembered seeing those test issues somewhere a while ago, probably on the bay. I'd love to see them once you receive them. I really enjoy watching you guys pick up these oddball items like this. Someday I'll go after things like that, but for now I'm still concentrating on my Set Registry.

It's unreal how much time, effort, and money I've spent on my Basic Set over the past several months just to go up a few hundredths of a point. Upgrading is very difficult, and finding raw cards to submit is turning out to be even harder. It makes me really appreciate the high GPA sets of BL, Wynne, O'Connor and K. My goal was to be back in the #1 slot before the 2010 Set Registry Awards, but I'm starting to feel like that's too far out of my reach. I'll keep trying though. This is what makes collecting fun for me!
  • Options
    It was someone I found on the net. They had the Aqueous card and I asked if they also had the Fleer Test cards and they did...though they came at a steep price! But they are already authenticated by SGC (not graded) so that was nice. It did cause me to get rid of some stuff in my storage room on eBay to pay for them so I guess that was a good thing. I think I'm going to send them to Beckett since Beckett does grade them.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I remembered seeing those test issues somewhere a while ago, probably on the bay. I'd love to see them once you receive them. I really enjoy watching you guys pick up these oddball items like this. Someday I'll go after things like that, but for now I'm still concentrating on my Set Registry.

It's unreal how much time, effort, and money I've spent on my Basic Set over the past several months just to go up a few hundredths of a point. Upgrading is very difficult, and finding raw cards to submit is turning out to be even harder. It makes me really appreciate the high GPA sets of BL, Wynne, O'Connor and K. My goal was to be back in the #1 slot before the 2010 Set Registry Awards, but I'm starting to feel like that's too far out of my reach. I'll keep trying though. This is what makes collecting fun for me! >>

That cost is part of the reason why I started focusing on growing my raw collection a bit before returning focus to my PSA sets. Of course, if I were in the position you were on the Basic it would be a whole different story image I'd be spending the cash to hit that goal too! Just keep at it, you've got almost a full year to get there image

On a side not, after seeing that Ryan Master Set at 100%, it makes me think we will see someone with a complete Ripken set someday... although I think the checklist will still be growing for awhile, there's a lot of eligible cards missing from the Ripken Master Set right now.
  • Options
    There are even a hand full of cards in the Basic set that are NOT in the Master set! Not sure which ones off hand (too busy to look at the moment), but I think there are some Stadium Club and Pinnacle base cards missing from the Master set.
  • Options

<< <i>There are even a hand full of cards in the Basic set that are NOT in the Master set! Not sure which ones off hand (too busy to look at the moment), but I think there are some Stadium Club and Pinnacle base cards missing from the Master set. >>

Pretty sure the 01 Donruss is one of those cards. (Going off memory here)

O/T: Hey what are we doing to celebrate #1000? Group rip maybe? Maybe all go in on a box of 82 Topps Traded and split up the packs? Let me know I'll be down for whatever.
  • Options
    Group rip would be cool, but I thing 1982 TT came in sets only. Right?
  • Options
    Would love to have this but the price is crazy!
  • Options

<< <i>It was someone I found on the net. They had the Aqueous card and I asked if they also had the Fleer Test cards and they did...though they came at a steep price! But they are already authenticated by SGC (not graded) so that was nice. It did cause me to get rid of some stuff in my storage room on eBay to pay for them so I guess that was a good thing. I think I'm going to send them to Beckett since Beckett does grade them.

Kevin >>

I've found it never hurts to ask a dealer if they have something odd, you never know what they'll come up with image And yeah, I would definitely send them to Beckett, the one's I've seen were in BGS holders.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are even a hand full of cards in the Basic set that are NOT in the Master set! Not sure which ones off hand (too busy to look at the moment), but I think there are some Stadium Club and Pinnacle base cards missing from the Master set. >>

Pretty sure the 01 Donruss is one of those cards. (Going off memory here)

O/T: Hey what are we doing to celebrate #1000? Group rip maybe? Maybe all go in on a box of 82 Topps Traded and split up the packs? Let me know I'll be down for whatever. >>

I'm down for a group rip to celebrate. Maybe just strait up 82 Topps.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    tuna,
    That's actually mine, and I totally agree on the price but between the Ripken guys and the Clark guys I guarantee someone out there is going to make an offer I can't refuse. I certainly don't expect to get the full amount, but it's unlikely that anybody's going to uncover any more uncirculated Drake's sheets AND cut them perfectly so there definitely should be a premium placed on a perfectly cut panel. Here's a pic for anybody interested:

edit to add- I wish PSA would figure out a way to fit stuff like this snugly in the holder.
  • Options

<< <i>tuna,
    That's actually mine, and I totally agree on the price but between the Ripken guys and the Clark guys I guarantee someone out there is going to make an offer I can't refuse. I certainly don't expect to get the full amount, but it's unlikely that anybody's going to uncover any more uncirculated Drake's sheets AND cut them perfectly so there definitely should be a premium placed on a perfectly cut panel. Here's a pic for anybody interested:

edit to add- I wish PSA would figure out a way to fit stuff like this snugly in the holder. >>

Oh I don't blame you at all for setting that price... I know you were probably just seeing what offers you would get. If I was a little bit better off on money right now I would have made an offer image I've got a fetish for panels, already have that one in a 9, and I should be happy with it, but you know, the registry is a powerful drug!

Also have the 1986 in a 9, just need the 1987 in a 9 or a 10.
  • Options
    Since I feel that I'll never have a remote chance to complete the Master Set I have narrowed my sights toward the 80's and the really early 90's on occasion. This panel would be a perfect addition so hopefully we can find a happy median. I too am a sucker for some of the rarer panels out there. Also I got a thing for Proofs. Don't ask me why I just do.

Adam
  • Options
    Hah I just noticed something amusing on the flip for that panel... they spell Ripken without the "E" and spelled Guerro with 3 "R"'s
  • Options
    I wonder why they would take an E out of Guerrero and Ripken when they surely had the room for them on the flip...
  • Options
    I just checked mine and it's the same way

• Options
    I really need to get my 1981 WTF graded. A PSA 8 with a PSA 9 checklist just sold for $549.99 on eBay. I think mine would only grade about 6 or 7, but I only paid $75 for it.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I saved my money for awhile and got myself a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken and sent it to PSA. I thought it would get a 5 or even a 6...it got a 7! I think tunahead has one too and his is nicer than mine.

Kevin >>

Alright, my white whale has been the '66 Conig PSA 9 thats in my sig line. I saw one a couple years ago pop on Ebay and bid a crap load of $$$ on it thinking that nobody would outbid me. Turns out 2 whales jumped in on it also with even more rediculous bids. Now it resides in the F***in Lonestar Collection and I havn't seen one since. I've submitted 4 and tried crossing over 2 but still havn't poped a 9 image

EDIT: If I remember correctly it went for $500+
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Just thought that you guys might be interested in a little poppage that I got yesterday!!!!

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 15761636 GEM MINT 10 1999 BOWMAN'S BEST 75 CAL RIPKEN JR. ATOMIC REFRACTOR Card US POP 1 $$$$$
  • Options

<< <i>Just thought that you guys might be interested in a little poppage that I got yesterday!!!!

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 15761636 GEM MINT 10 1999 BOWMAN'S BEST 75 CAL RIPKEN JR. ATOMIC REFRACTOR Card US POP 1 $$$$$ >>

So did you get that in the mail to me yet? image
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I have actually considered selling it because of the fact that it is a pop 1 and I am only 25% done on the set right now so it is going to be awhile before I get close to finishing the set anyways. It is a tough decision though because this is the only 99 atomic Ripken that I have ever came across. I am debating the same thing on pop 1 psa 10 Jeter from the same set that just popped. How much do you guys think these might bring on ebay? I watched a 98 atomic Jeter sell for 75.00 raw on ebay the other day and it is #ed to 100 just like the 99's. The 98 Jeter has 3 psa 10's though.
  • Options

<< <i>Alright, my white whale has been the '66 Conig PSA 9 thats in my sig line. I saw one a couple years ago pop on Ebay and bid a crap load of $$$ on it thinking that nobody would outbid me. Turns out 2 whales jumped in on it also with even more rediculous bids. Now it resides in the F***in Lonestar Collection and I havn't seen one since. I've submitted 4 and tried crossing over 2 but still havn't poped a 9 image

EDIT: If I remember correctly it went for $500+ >>

K, did you see RonBurgundy subbed two of them? Came back an 8 and 8.5 though. Close! I've actually kept my eye out for one whenever I go to shows.
  • Options
    1000!! image