Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    For whatever reason that card has just eluded me for a while now.

BTW did you guys notice the Drake panel is gone...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully he ended up making a deal for it off of ebay. Cool piece!
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully he ended up making a deal for it off of ebay. Cool piece! >>

We did
  • Options
    SWEET!! image
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have actually considered selling it because of the fact that it is a pop 1 and I am only 25% done on the set right now so it is going to be awhile before I get close to finishing the set anyways. It is a tough decision though because this is the only 99 atomic Ripken that I have ever came across. I am debating the same thing on pop 1 psa 10 Jeter from the same set that just popped. How much do you guys think these might bring on ebay? I watched a 98 atomic Jeter sell for 75.00 raw on ebay the other day and it is #ed to 100 just like the 99's. The 98 Jeter has 3 psa 10's though. >>

Really hard to say, Ripken pop 1s can go all over the place. Since it would be a part of the master set you'd have fewer bidders from the registry. But since it's a 90's card #'d to 100, you might get more Ripken collector's that aren't part of the registry bidding on it.
  • Options

<< <i>

We did >>

So what did you pay for it? image I need to add it to my list.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

We did >>

So what did you pay for it? image I need to add it to my list. >>

I paid a little more than I wanted too, but it was a good deal I couldn't refuse... image
  • Options

<< <i>
    I paid a little more than I wanted too, but it was a good deal I couldn't refuse... image >>

Hehe, don't blame you, it's a sweet card. Like I said, if I was better of money wise right now, I would have paid more than I wanted to as well image
  • Options
    This is just silly... 1982 Topps auto slabbed backwards

I'd rather have it slabbed the other way, regardless of the auto on the back.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If you guys only knew how many times I cut my fingers in order to produce a perfectly cut Drake's panel...

But seriously, glad it got into the hands of a Ripken guy (as opposed to a dirty Will Clark collector). Although I don't compete on the registry (mainly because I know it would get out of hand and my child would end up eating oatmeal for dinner 7 nights a week), I am a lifelong Orioles fan and would root for anybody putting together a Cal collection. Why nobody has seriously gone after Eddie is beyond me; he was just as likable as Cal to most Oriole fans.

Lee
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Mel Proctor just loved Eddie.
  • Options
    I loved "Eggie" Murray. A few years ago I sat two rows behind him at a Cavs game, but I was too nervous to go up and ask him for an autograph. So that's my awesome story! lol

The next player collection I plan to tackle is the Brooks Robinson Set.
  • Options
    Wow, Michael Wynne just added four more 10s to his Basic Set this morning. He's now only 8 cards away from completing the set in all 10s. CRAZY!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Michael Wynne just added four more 10s to his Basic Set this morning. He's now only 8 cards away from completing the set in all 10s. CRAZY! >>

Maybe they're more cards that he "sold" on eBay but then claimed they were damaged in shipping... only to turn up later in someone else's registry.
  • Options
    Yikes, I take it that was never resolved... that sucks.
  • Options

<< <i>Yikes, I take it that was never resolved... that sucks. >>

Nope, never heard from him. No biggie though, just makes me not trust the guy.
  • Options
    Just got the Drake panel in. This thing is awesome! Thanks Lee!
  • Options
    how much did the drake panel cost?
  • Options

<< <i>Just got the Drake panel in. This thing is awesome! Thanks Lee! >>

So jealous image I've got a few 86-88 panels that I need to get cut and send in sometime. Not sure if any could get a 10 though as the surface can kill the grades unless they were from unissued boxes.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just got the Drake panel in. This thing is awesome! Thanks Lee!

I changed my mind, I want it back.
  • Options

<< <i>Just got the Drake panel in. This thing is awesome! Thanks Lee!

I changed my mind, I want it back. >>

lol
  • Options
    Another 1997 Donruss Team Sets that is mislabeled as a Pennant Edition, 2nd now from PSA Set Guy. Does PSA even check the cards they are grading? Link
  • Options
    I almost fell of my couch laughing when i saw this thing... "The Ripper" Has anyone ever seen it before?
  • Options

<< <i>I almost fell of my couch laughing when i saw this thing... "The Ripper" Has anyone ever seen it before? >>

Heh yeah, I have a couple of those, ugly card image
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Here are a few psa 9 Cals available

$5 each except the 85 OPC!

1998 bowman 222
    96 topps 200
    94 ultra 9
    1994 ultra career achievement award 3
    85 opc 30 $7
    1995 coll choice 85
    94 flair 8

PM me!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I almost fell of my couch laughing when i saw this thing... "The Ripper" Has anyone ever seen it before? >>

Heh yeah, I have a couple of those, ugly card image >>

He looks like an old, wrinkled, white, Barry Bonds.
  • Options
    A little Ripken poppage mixed in with my sub today.

15716495 MINT 9 ST 1985 FLEER 187 CAL RIPKEN JR. ST??? WTF????
    15716509 MINT 9 1990 LEAF 197 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    15716513 GEM MINT 10 1991 TOPPS 150 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    15716522 GEM MINT 10 2000 BOWMAN'S BEST 9 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    15716526 GEM MINT 10 2000 BOWMAN'S BEST 91 CAL RIPKEN JR.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I got the Ripken 1990 Donruss Aqueous PSA 7 in the mail today. Will post a high-res scan when I get home. I think the grade was a gift and was expecting a PSA 6. I'd like to know what people think when I get the scan up.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I got the Ripken 1990 Donruss Aqueous PSA 7 in the mail today. Will post a high-res scan when I get home. I think the grade was a gift and was expecting a PSA 6. I'd like to know what people think when I get the scan up.

Kevin >>

Watch mine get a 5 or a 6 now image
  • Options
    Even if the borders and corners on mine deserved a PSA 10 it couldn't have done better than a PSA 7 due to a slight diamond tilt to the picture and the centering. How is the centering on yours?

Kevin
  • Options
    Although I have seen cards with a diamond tilt to the picture that still get a PSA 9. They are ugly 9's though. In fact I have one like that. It depends on how bad the tilt is and whether it still falls into a 9 centering-wise from the worst point of the tilt.

Kevin
  • Options

Top chipping and bottom left corner are what is going to hurt my grade.
  • Options
    I think probably you are looking at a between a 7 and 8 as long as there are no surface creases. Depending on the severity of the corner wear I think you might be looking at a 7 worst case. It looks better than mine centering-wise. I had much worse chipping than yours and some weird scratches on the surface. Does yours have any scratches on the surface or is it smooth gloss?

BGS scale image
    Centering: 7-8 (I would say an 8 is possible if the centering is at least 70/30 which it looks to be)
    Surface: ?
    Edges: 7 (mine not only had chipping but what I would call notching which made me think PSA 6)
    Corners: 7-7.5 (Your corners look pretty much like mine. Is there actually a bend on the bad corner or just slight fraying? No bend - 7.5. Bend - 7. Mine had a bend on the bad corner.)

Does that seem about right? I would grade yours a 7.5 since it's better than mine on centering but not an 8 due to the bottom corner and edges. I would give it a 7 if the bad corner actually has a bend and if there are any scratches on the surface. Your edge wear is not as bad as mine.

Kevin
  • Options
    Surface on mine looks pretty clean, no scratches that I could see, and no creases or wrinkles anywhere. What looks like a scratch under the "k" on my scan is from the scanner. Hopefully I'll be subbing it in December and we'll see what PSA says.

Did you decide where you are sending your Blue/White test?
  • Options
    I vote a PSA 7.5 on this card. See my comments above. What do you think it will get?

I think I'll be sending the Blue/White Test to Beckett along with a bunch of other stuff and see if they grade it.

Kevin
  • Options
    Yeah 7-8 was the range of what I was thinking it would get
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Well boys here it is!!! I wanted to give all of the Ripken fanatics first crack at making an offer. Since it is a pop 1 and i'm not very close to finishing my atomic refractor set yet, I will take offers for a few days and if I don't get a good offer it will probably be headed to ebay. Please pm me your offers!!! Thanks

• Options
    Nice card man! I'm no where near wanting to go for that card, but I hope you get a ton for it! image
  • Options
    While we're on the subject of posting scans of recent subs, here's my latest!

It's taking SO MUCH will-power to not sell this bad boy right now, especially since we just received a 10% company-wide pay cut at work.
  • Options

<< <i>While we're on the subject of posting scans of recent subs, here's my latest!

It's taking SO MUCH will-power to not sell this bad boy right now, especially since we just received a 10% company-wide pay cut at work. >>

Might be good to sell it now while low pop Topps regular issues are hitting highs. I'm sure there's a ton of that product unopened, so I'm pretty sure that won't be anywhere near the last 10 we see image
  • Options
    Some cards I got in the mail over the last week:

• Options
    nice card the donruss aq.you know how many have been graded by psa?
  • Options
    Not sure on the population for the 90 Donruss Aqueous. Mine is the current highest and there is only one.

Kevin
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    3 great cards! I have never seen those before. I think your 90 Donruss looks like a 7 from here.

What is it with SGC and their flips?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Great looking cards Kevin!!
  • Options
    Your Aqueous is the only one graded so far.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the following:

1) How many total 1990 Donruss Aqueous are graded so far?
    2) What is the highest grade given so far?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    As of today there has been 6 total. Four 6's and two 7's. Bob just submitted about 150 of these not too long ago so
    the population will go up soon.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Okay, these cards from the Basic Set are driving me nuts... I've subbed several of each with nothing too spectacular in return. Anyone have any luck with these? It's crazy that there's still two cards in the basic set that have no 10s. I'd really like to see the 'Possible Set Rating' go up to 10.000.

1995 Studio #8: There are (2) 9s with no 10s. I've subbed four of these now, and 9 is the best I've got. It's very hard to find a decent raw card, and even harder to find a box to rip.

1997 Select #71: There is only (1) 9 with no 10s. I subbed and own the only 9. Same story with this one, hard to find a decent raw example.

The other cards that I keep subbing and pulling up 8.5s or less are:

1996 Pinnacle #214: Mine is 8.5, (3) 9, (1) 10
    1996 Studio #1: Mine is 8, (0) 9, (2) 10
    1997 Leaf #218: Mine is 8, (1) 9, (5) 10
    1997 Ultra #11: Mine is 8, (1) 9, (2) 10
    1998 Studio #113: Mine is 8.5, (1) 9, (1) 10
    1999 Flair Showcase Row 3 #8: Mine is 8, (2) 9, (3) 10

Crazy how three of my problem cards are Studio. I've really been trying to upgrade these cards over the past year but it's driving me nuts! Buying them raw on ebay is a crap-shoot.

Does anyone here have these raw that you think might be gradable? I would buy them from you raw, or encourage you to sub them yourselves!
  • Options
    I'm actually going through my stuff trying to find some 10's. So far I have 28 picked out that I think have a shot. Looking to sub 40.