Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    K, were you talking about the 1999 upper Deck that ended last night? That's the only one I can see that you need.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    No there is something else out there but I did buy that 99 UD. I was also trying to get the 96 UD but as I'm sitting there watching the timer count down my gf came over and started asking me all sorts of dumb questions about nothing and I missed it! So now the wait begins for the 95 Topps and the ________.
  • Options
    That's strange... I put a bid of $108.88 on this 1988 Topps PSA 10 when it had about 10 seconds left on it, and it said I needed to place a higher bid on it. That led me to assume someone had placed a higher bid than mine. But when I went back to the main auction page, it had sold for $107.79... WTF? What's the next higher bid increment required for something this price? I assumed it was $1.00, but I could be wrong.

Oh well, I'm glad I lost this one... I was struggling with myself about bidding that much for it. I'll just go for the next one! image

Hey Tuna, can you tell who won it?
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I remember when the 1987 Donruss PSA 10 sold for over $100. This kind of reminds me of that.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Tuna, can you tell who won it? >>

Well if my notes are right it's a board member who reads this forum. I'll let him say whether or not he was the one who won it just in case he doesn't want his ebay ID out there image
  • Options
    That's cool, they deserved it! image

In that case I'm glad my bid never went through, because I would feel guilty for costing a fellow board member some money.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Tuna, can you tell who won it? >>

Well if my notes are right it's a board member who reads this forum. I'll let him say whether or not he was the one who won it just in case he doesn't want his ebay ID out there image >>

n***n 2297 is definitely not me. My feedback is only 324.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Jeff. There is another card that I saw pop that I practically did a backflip over. I don't want to call to much attention to it, but I promise I will stop at nothing for it. Kingrang or no Kingrang I will win it! I know if you look you'll find it... >>

I found a card that is HUGE in my book, but it's only a PSA 9, so I figured it wasn't your "mystery card". Will you tell us once the auction is over? image
  • Options
    OOOOOOOOOooooooooooohhhhhhhh... I found it! Man, I saw that group of cards when they were first listed, but somehow skimmed past it! That thing is a Pop 3... and TOUGH Pop 3... you're gonna be digging DEEP for that one I have a feeling. Good luck man!
  • Options
    It went for $200 when it was a pop 1 if I remember right.
  • Options
    Been working quite a bit on my Ripken website lately, should have a somewhat working public site soon. Got the auction pricing databases done and working last week, so have been inputting all the data from the last 2 months of tracking. Happy with it so far!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see it.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Can't wait to see it. >>

x2!
  • Options
    I love winning PSA 10's for 99 cents!
  • Options
    $42.44 for a 2000 Topps PSA 10! WTF??! I think I paid $6 for mine about a year ago.
  • Options
    This price was pretty crazy too. $40.00 for a PSA 10 single from the 60 card 2001 Fleer Ripken Career Highlights set. You can buy the whole set for about $5.

This stuck out to me too. This 82 Topps PSA 10 sold for $349.99 on 7-18 (from a seller in the town I live in apparently), and then this one was sold by shoeless-joejackson on 7-19 for $620.00. They're both the same card though... same serial number.
  • Options
    That guy won't be happy when a whole ton of them go to PSA after that auction. image

I'll take mine for $3.99 now please.

Sounds like a little image hijacking to me on the 82 Topps....

Kevin
  • Options
    Wow, that 2001 Fleer Career Highlights really blows my mind... I can't even begin to wonder what that person was thinking. Especially since there were TWO people bidding that high for it!

That 1982 Topps blows my mind too, especially since the first seller has over 1000 FB, and the second seller has over 14,000!! The only feasible explanation can be the winner of the first auction is a "buyer's account" for "shoeless-joejackson". If that's the case, that's one heck of a flip!

Wait a minute, after looking closer, shoeless-joejackson posted his FIRST, and lee0311 posted his with a low BIN a couple days later. Yikes...
  • Options
    I would never touch anything from shoeless-joejackson though. Known trimmer.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I was looking at the 87 leaf ripken psa 10. I have cracked tons of this product and even with this 10 out there i have yet to find one centered 50/50 top to bottom. Anyone have one that is perfect t-b?
  • Options
    Nope, here's mine:

EDIT: By the way, board member "jswieton" gave me this card raw out of one of his box breaks, along with several other Ripkens. That's a great guy there! image
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>I would never touch anything from shoeless-joejackson though. Known trimmer. >>

if this is such common knowledge, how come Beckett has figured it out yet?????????????????
  • Options
    He was also a point-shaver... image
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any luck with the 2001 Topps Ripken from the group rip?
  • Options
    My lazy @$$ hasn't even subbed mine yet... probably won't go out until the very end of the month.
  • Options
    So the 95 Topps PSA 10 ended today while I was outside landscaping the front of my house... kinda ticked that I left my cell phone with the timer set inside but at the same time it went for more then I intended to bid anyway. I guess I'll have to sub my own sometime. Regardless I have a big purchase in mind soon so it's probably best I didn't win it anyway.
  • Options
    I took down the 95. It's the only thing I plan on going after for awhile, so I figured I'd go all out on it.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Nice job on the '95 cyots!

K, I hope you nailed that '87 Leaf, that was a bargain price!!
  • Options
    You guys and your crazy prices for PSA 10s image Fun to track though. Finished working on my site for the night, but tomorrow I'm going to add a feature so you can track how much a specific buyer has spent image
  • Options
    Yeah I nailed the 87 Leaf the other day. Pretty happy about it since the only other one I've seen pop (back when it was 1/1) went for $200+ if I remember correctly. Definitely gonna be filling a big void in my Basic set. Now the only 2 I have left are the Mythical 85 Topps PSA 10 and an 88 Leaf PSA 10 to finish off the 80's run so I can fous on the mid to late 90's. I seriously can't believe how far this set has come in the time it has taken to assemble.

Adam
  • Options
    Nice job on the Leaf!

Last night I somehow "stole" that 2001 Topps Heritage PSA 9 for only $8.06! You can't buy it raw for that cheap! Of course the guy is charging $4.95 for shipping... seller claims it's for USPS Priority. I might be upset if it doesn't show up in a Priority package.
  • Options
    I usually charge $3.00 S/H which definitely covers everything I need to send a card securely, i.e. bubble mailer, additional bubble wrap, tape, gas to get to the post office and first class USPS shipping (and thats really stretching it). So $4.95 is definitely a bit overboard. I think 1 of the best deals going is buying from 4-star-sports-graded who will mail your card in one of those blue PSA protective cases, which by them selves sell for $5.00, for no extra charge.
  • Options
    Yeah, I charge $3.00 for PSA, and $2.00 for raw.
  • Options
    Yes, it's me buying them all...
  • Options
    Yep, three bucks for shipping is fair for a slabbed card!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Well I was going to try and win this but its getting a bit pricey for me right now image
  • Options

<< <i>Well I was going to try and win this but its getting a bit pricey for me right now image >>

I was taking a look at it also but havn't made up my mind on whether or not to throw a bid at it. Definitely not something you see every day thats for sure.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think it's a bad price right now, just more than I can afford to pay at this time image

Hopefully I should be back in the PSA game soon though, finally got my business launched and starting to get some calls coming in.
  • Options
    I was thinking as all these "star" players keep getting pinched for roids, in my mind this is making Cal more and more legendary than he already is. The fact that he spent most of his career in the roids era and put up some fantastic numbers with the guys who were juiced! Let alone the streak is legendary in and of itself! Any thoughts guys?
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Absolutely, he SHOULD be used as a positive example when this media is talking about the "steroids era". Between that and being a part of the dying breed of the career-long franchise player. You probably couldn't even fill up one hand counting current players who will play anywhere near 21 seasons all with the same club. Jeter? Pujols? Those two are pretty much the only players who I can see staying with their same ball club for their entire career. Unless they pull a Brett Favre... lol
  • Options
    What does the group think of this article on Ripken?

Cal Ripken, Jr: The Most Overrated Baseball Player of All-Time

Kevin
  • Options
    My opinion is, this guy is a douche-bag.

consider the source

I don't think anyone has ever claimed Ripken was an elite hitter. Obviously he was no slouch, but after playing so many games (3,001 - 8th all-time), he would easily acquire the "longevity stats". The example he uses about Ripken having the most GIDP is simply idiotic... the top SIX players in the GIDP category are Hall of Famers! Get over it! Let us not forget he played shortstop, which has never been known for being a power hitter's position, yet he has the most home runs by a shortstop. You don't earn 8 Silver Slugger awards for simply showing up everyday. He also had a career Fielding Percentage of .977... I think I would call him pretty fantastic both offensively and defensively. The All-Star example is asinine too because the starters are voted on by THE FANS, not mere stats. It's called the All-STAR game, not the All-STAT game.

Meh, I let this crap get under my skin too much. You guys know all this anyway. So yeah, my opinion is he's a douche-bag. lol
  • Options
    I found it interesting because it was the first article I've seen that attempts to paint him in a negative light. Probably just trying to be controversial. Another thing he didn't mention was that Ripken had one of the percentage number of votes to get in the Hall of Fame of anyone at 98.5%. I know Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan had slightly higher percentages but I think that's it. I thought that was pretty impressive. If you look at the voting a lot of players barely made it and some years no one made it. Of course that also depends on who else is up for election that year, but still, it's pretty impressive. And he made it on the first try.

Kevin
  • Options
    No matter who you put into perspective there will always be someone who will argue the point of that player being overated. Has anyone ever gotten into the hall with a 100% vote? The answer is no. Not Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Ryan, Jackie, Aaron, Mays, Mantle, or Cy. Nobody, because there is always at least 1 clown that will argue their flaws. But honestly, who would argue about any of those guys?
  • Options
    Yeah, Tom Seaver had 98.84% (425 of 430), Nolan Ryan had 98.79% (491 of 497), and Cal Ripken had 98.53% (537 of 545). He was at least the highest position player to be voted in. Oddly enough, Tony Gwynn was 7th with 97.61% (532 of 545), and he was obviously inducted on the same year. Thats the reason why they pulled the highest attendance of any induction ceremony in the history of the Hall of Fame. I was there too! image
  • Options
    The guy is just wannabe douche bag blogger that is trying to get more hits to his site. Same thing that some of the movie "critics" out there do. Take a movie that is getting universally great reviews and dump on it so people will start arguing and commenting on it. The site gets more hits, you've achieved your purpose. I won't even bother reading the whole article or take the time to comment on it as that is just what the author is aiming to do.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking as all these "star" players keep getting pinched for roids, in my mind this is making Cal more and more legendary than he already is. The fact that he spent most of his career in the roids era and put up some fantastic numbers with the guys who were juiced! Let alone the streak is legendary in and of itself! Any thoughts guys? >>

There are steroid apologists on some other boards I read who are openly rooting for Cal (or Jeter or Maddux) to test positive. They seem to think that will cause the writers to throw up their hands and just take these inflated numbers at face value. It's hard for me to get into the mindset of these people.

I can see wanting someone you think is using to get caught but just hoping someone who looks clean isn't so they can spread some of the mud around? That's mind boggling.

People forget it now (Lee can probably back me up on this) but Cal was taking a lot of heat for supposedly putting the streak ahead of his team's success for a few years in the late 80's, early 90's. Most of that quieted after his MVP year in '91, but he's always had a (loud) minority of detractors.
  • Options
    I think Cal Sr. was even against it a little bit, I don't think he liked the hype. I think that was partially why he ended Cal's consecutive innings streak in '87.
  • Options
    Based on what I've read, steroids would take quite a toll on your muscles over time and would probably have made it so Ripken couldn't have kept up with the streak. I think the streak itself proves his innocence.

Kevin
  • Options
    If any of you guys have any lucky items rub them for me. I'm submitting (3) 92 Donruss Elite Autos for grading. 1 has a great shot at pulling a 10. Whatever the results I'll post here and most likely offer up 2 of the 3 for sale/trade before I put them on the Bay.

Edit: 900!