Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, I finally got my 1990 Topps PSA 10!! image

I paid too much for it ($81.32), but it was nice to finally get it out of the way!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    The guy selling them all definitely flooded the market. I would have sold them off over the course of 1-2 years if possible. Oh well whats done is done.
  • Options
    The 89 Topps #250 just closed for $58.01

$58.01
  • Options
    WOW! I got mine for $18.06 last November! yikes...
  • Options
    Yeah mine cost me $12.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Question - is there any desire from you player registry folks for the 1984 Donruss (Grand) Champion cards? They are oversized with modern and alltime players like Cobb, Ruth etc? I have a set that has been in pages since I got it back in '84 that I was thinking of getting some players graded if they sold for anything (Ripken, Nolan Ryan, etc). Any help is appreciated - thanks!
    Pete
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Pete -- speaking only for some players other than Ripken, those cards aren't phenomenally difficult to find in PSA 10...and do not garner significant premiums. Generally not worth the submission cost and risk of not getting a 10.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    This baby is going in on my June special sub. Just cracked it out of a BGS 9.5 Pop 1 case. Looking for the first ever psa 10 of this card.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know anything about this card. I'm mostly wondering about the "20th National" on the flip.

***edit***

Nevermind, answered my own question. "A special version of the issue was sold only at the 20th Nat'l Sports Collectors Convention in Atlanta, July 19-24. Each of the show version cards has a small National Convention logo printed on back"
  • Options

<< <i>This baby is going in on my June special sub. Just cracked it out of a BGS 9.5 Pop 1 case. Looking for the first ever psa 10 of this card. >>

Nice card, good luck!

I should warn you, you better cut it out of that BGS soft sleeve before you send it to PSA, or they won't grade it. I recently subbed a BGS crack-out at a show where PSA had a booth, and they said I need to cut it out of the soft sleeve before I can sub it, or they won't touch it.

By the way, do you still have all of your fingers after cracking that thing out? BGS has TOUGH slabs! image
  • Options
    I was just looking at the set registry for the Ripken Basic Set, and I have to say it's getting pretty cramped up there at the top. The way the Workclothing set is coming along, I might get bumped from the top 5 here very shortly! Although I do have a couple new cards on the way...
  • Options
    Lets see who gets this one...

Another 90 Topps #570 PSA 10

Has the market on this card been flooded out yet?
  • Options
    Getting there...

There's still someone out there trying to get their hands on this card in 10. Especially since the one I bought was bid up over $80.
  • Options
    You won the last one that was up?
  • Options
    Yep, I had to, I was sick of watching them pass by. Sucks because the one before that one went for just over $60. Oh well...
  • Options
    I honestly don't think the price will dip too much more on these. Sort of like the 88's. I know I paid $100+ for mine. Now you can get them for like $50-$60.
  • Options
    I bought a couple of big Ripken lots here recently trying to find some sub worthy cards to finish off my Basic set so that I can move on to Basic & Collector. Only have 50 left on my basic. Hopeing to have that number cut in half by the end of the year, and not get too soaked in the process.
  • Options
    I have 2 to 3 cards each of the ones I have in grades 8 and 8.5, ready to ship off to PSA, trying to get some upgrades. I've just been waiting for the right monthly special. Part of me wants to jump onto the $8/15 day special, but $8 seems too high for some reason. I've just been procrastinating. I love paying the cheap $5 prices, but hate waiting 2 months for poppage. I gotta get it out before the end of the month...
  • Options
    I'm the same way. I have every card I need raw and ready to go for the most part, but I'm just waiting for a good deal to jump on.

Oh and I took a page out of your book and am in the process of putting all my Ripkens into top-loaders. I bought a case of them at the last card show I went too and have put about 400 or so into them so far. Biggest problem is how freakin heavy the 5000ct box got! It's only about half full so far, and I still have about 1500 to go!
  • Options
    Instead of using a 5000 count box, I'm using 3000 count (I think) boxes. They're easier to store and carry. A couple years ago I copied Beckett's Cal Ripken Jr. checklist into an Excel spreadsheet and cataloged every Ripken I had, with prices. I try to keep it updated, but I think I'm due for another audit. Maybe that'll be my winter project this year. Good stuff!
  • Options
    Anyone here dealt with Michael Wynne (holdyoudada) before?
  • Options
    Yes, bought and sold with him many times, he's cool. Why?
  • Options
  • Options
    hmmm... care to share? Hope it's not too awful bad.
  • Options
    PM sent
  • Options
    Wow, only $12 million for this ripken "art"
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone here dealt with Michael Wynne (holdyoudada) before? >>

He's a good guy. A bunch of my cards were purchased from him.
  • Options
    i want to break out some cards,i have never done it before . what is the best way to break out of beckett?...thanks if you can help
  • Options
    BGS slabs are the hardest in my opinion. My best tools were a pair of pliers and a thin flat-head screwdriver. Try cracking the top corners and CAREFULLY wedge the screwdriver into the open corners and pry it open by turning the screwdriver. Careful, because the screwdriver likes to slide inside the slab too deep it you're pushing too hard. Slow and steady wins the race. I've only cracked two of them, but I didn't mess up the card either time. Hope you don't bleed too much! image
  • Options
    I use a bandsaw on BGS holders and then a flat screwdriver
  • Options
    I always thought a router table (with a guide) would be ideal, but I don't have one.
  • Options
    WoW! We have a new set registrant that just burst onto the scene with a vengeance! Their name is Gr8CalOs. Holy Crap!
  • Options
    thanks for the input on the bgs breakouts,
  • Options
    It's kingrang, if you know who that is from eBay. Lost many a PSA 10 to him image
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Yep. Basically if g***k (kingrang) bids on something I know I'm either or going to have to dig deep or forget about it and try to find it later. Mostly I forget about it. Very annoying.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    As for the BGS breakouts, had I not been wearing eyeglasses the last time I broke one out, I would have gotten a piece of plastic right in the eye. I strongly suggest wearing protective glasses. I'm not kidding either.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    So back to Michael Wynne (holdyoudada), does anyone have a current email address for him?
  • Options

<< <i>So back to Michael Wynne (holdyoudada), does anyone have a current email address for him? >>

I do but I'll have to post it once I get home. It's on my yahoo account which is a blocked website at my command.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep. Basically if g***k (kingrang) bids on something I know I'm either or going to have to dig deep or forget about it and try to find it later. Mostly I forget about it. Very annoying.

Kevin >>

There definitely aren't enough 10's to go around...
  • Options

<< <i>
    I do but I'll have to post it once I get home. It's on my yahoo account which is a blocked website at my command. >>

Think I have it now, but if you can PM it to me later just to verify. Thanks!
  • Options
    What the hell is that?

• Options

<< <i>What the hell is that? >>

Haha, that's pretty much what I said when I saw it. It looks like an abstract cow with Ripken's head on it.
  • Options
    Wow, someone overpaid! Average price for a 1982 Topps in PSA 9 is about $45. There was one sold on 6-13 for $26.
  • Options
    Yikes!
  • Options
    Where was that fool when I had one listed for $50?
  • Options
    This auction also left me scratching my head. $305.00 for a 2005 patch card #'d to 34 with no auto...

*edit*
    Actually that appears to have been a steal, there was one that sold on 5-24 for $898.99!
  • Options
    I only own one "game-used" card of Cal, and it's a ball card that a friend gave to me. I never bought into the game-used phenomenon. I also don't like the stick-on autos. Just personal preference I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>I only own one "game-used" card of Cal, and it's a ball card that a friend gave to me. I never bought into the game-used phenomenon. I also don't like the stick-on autos. Just personal preference I guess. >>

I hear ya, I think I only have 4-5 game used Cal's. One I got in a pack, 2 came in that 2001 60 card Fleer set, and then the others came in singles lots that I bought. I'll probably eventually have some just for the sake of completion, but I'll keep focusing on the 80's, PSA 10's, rare 90's inserts and test issues first. Once I have all those completed (in like 120 years) then I'll get more game used image I do want to start getting more pre-2000 on card auto's though. Right now I have a total of 2. To each his own though, different people like different things!
  • Options
    Those 60-card Fleer sets came with GU cards? I have a few of those sets unopened. Hmmm... did not know that.
  • Options
    The black box ones numbered to 2,632 did. Link