Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    Another update from SGC

"I just spoke to the graders at length about this. The Will Clark is the only Aqeuous Test card we've graded to date, so it may have been given an 'A' because it demonstrated irregular borders or some other issue which would exclude it from a numerical grade. The graders said that they are not against numerically grading the cards, but they would have to examine it in person. Consistent cut and size would certainly help the case for a numerical grade. As you know, they don't come around all the time, so this is an issue that would have to be examined on a case by case basis.

Thanks,

Brian "
  • Master set question:

If Ripken retired in 2001 but his last base cards were in all the 2002 base sets, why is it that 2002 Donruss is the only 2002 card in the master set? Tried to add a 2002 Leaf Ripken and received an email stating that it was not allowed since he retired after the 2001 season.

EDIT TO ADD: The only requirements are that it include his stats from the 2001 season. If that is the case, there are tons of cards made after 2001 that include his season by season stats that are also not allowed. Why is the '02 Donruss allowed and the others aren't.

<< <i>Master set question:

If Ripken retired in 2001 but his last base cards were in all the 2002 base sets, why is it that 2002 Donruss is the only 2002 card in the master set? Tried to add a 2002 Leaf Ripken and received an email stating that it was not allowed since he retired after the 2001 season.

EDIT TO ADD: The only requirements are that it include his stats from the 2001 season. If that is the case, there are tons of cards made after 2001 that include his season by season stats that are also not allowed. Why is the '02 Donruss allowed and the others aren't. >>

You probably got someone who didn't know the rules emailing you back. Any 2002 card that lists his stats should be able to be added, but you might have to send them an email with the scan of the back of the card to get it in there.

• << <i>Any 2002 card that lists his stats should be able to be added, but you might have to send them an email with the scan of the back of the card to get it in there. >>

Guess my question was why aren't all the 2002 base cards automatically in the master set? They are all going to have his '01 stats on them.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    ... and why are his Fleer Tradition, and Ultra cards in the Basic Set, but not the Master Set? I also always wondered why Topps never made a 2002 base Ripken card. They made a Tony Gwynn, so WTF? Oh well...

<< <i>

<< <i>Any 2002 card that lists his stats should be able to be added, but you might have to send them an email with the scan of the back of the card to get it in there. >>

Guess my question was why aren't all the 2002 base cards automatically in the master set? They are all going to have his '01 stats on them. >>

Same reason they don't automatically add any new graded Ripken to the master registry I guess. What that reason is, who knows?! image
    Some more crazy prices from this week:

1997 Donruss Update Only Way I know #7 $109.00 (kingrang) (holy crap!!)
    1995 SP Championship 2131 Tribute $106.50 (kingrang) (holy crap part 2!!)
    1990 Topps $78.69 (still bringing in some good money even with the flood of them lately)
    2000 Ultra Gold Medallion $77.66 (goucolts)
    1994 Bowman Superstar Sampler $75.00 (kingrang) (wish I would have picked that one up)
    1997 Ultra Hitting Machines Pop 1 $42.00 (kingrang)
    1995 Flair Enduring #14 $35.00 (goucolts)
    1989 Bowman Tiffany $34.89 (goucolts)
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another update from SGC

"I just spoke to the graders at length about this. The Will Clark is the only Aqeuous Test card we've graded to date, so it may have been given an 'A' because it demonstrated irregular borders or some other issue which would exclude it from a numerical grade. The graders said that they are not against numerically grading the cards, but they would have to examine it in person. Consistent cut and size would certainly help the case for a numerical grade. As you know, they don't come around all the time, so this is an issue that would have to be examined on a case by case basis.

Thanks,

Brian " >>

Has any of you talked to PSA about this? Maybe they might grade them if you give them enough info
    on them?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    I just emailed Joe O. about them, we'll see what he says. This late in the day though, may have to wait til after the weekend for a reply.
    Kicking myself for missing that PSA 10 1987 Donruss Opening Day this weekend. Stupid holiday weekends! image
    And the crazy prices continue (all PSA 10 unless noted):

1997 Donruss MVP PSA 9 $32.00
    1999 Topps Record Numbers $51.32 (kingrang)
    1999 Pacific Invincible Seismic Force $43.56 (goucolts)
    1998 Bowman $35.55 (kingrang) (another one sold on 5-31 for $9.99)
    1997 Score Premium Stock $45.00 (kingrang) (one of these sold on 5-21-09 for $21.08)
    1996 Upper Deck $47.00 (kingrang)
    1996 Flair Promo $25.68 (kingrang)
    1994 Stadium Club Team Finest $46.00 (kingrang)
    1989 Topps $75.88

Looks like someone wants that #1 spot and is willing to overpay to get there! I almost feel like auctioning off my Ripken's that he doesn't have just so I can get top dollar now and buy them back later for cheaper.
  • i noticed this one wasnt on many people's registries so i used a free voucher to get this one graded. does anyone here need it? how much do you think its worth?

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 FLEER STICKERS 15 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    "Dear Mr. Allen,

Joe Orlando has asked me to contact you concerning the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards and also the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test issue.

In the past we did not do any “test” or “proof” cards, and these did fall into that category. Over time we have started adding some of these types of cards to our system.

The last time our graders reviewed the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards they did not feel comfortable grading them. In the catalog information paragraph it states “Little is known about this issue…”, but it does list some specific differences from the regular Donruss cards which they feel should help them when grading. Our head grader has reviewed the information again, and said he feels we can grade them now. So please feel free to submit your cards.

As for the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue set, they still do not feel comfortable grading these yet because of the limited information that is given for these cards. The catalog also does not list any values which we prefer to have when grading cards.

Of course we are not saying that we will never grade them, but we do need to have a little more information then what is available to us now. Please feel free to send anything that you may find in your own research that may help us to grade them in the future. We are always very grateful to the collectors that are committed to the hobby and to our company.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions."
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from Hawaii! Was pretty disappointed to see that my obsurd bid of $35.35 for a 98 Bowman PSA 10 was outbid. I guess I'll have to keep waiting for a grading deal to roll my way so I can submit my own, because I'm tired of paying top $ for cards that run for a couple bucks raw.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone own, or has anyone ever tried to grade the 86 OPC Ripken Tattoo?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    So THAT'S what that is... I've had that "card" for a long time and I had no clue what it was, because it has no distinguishing marks on it. lol, I was just too lazy to do the research for it. Thanks!

<< <i>"Dear Mr. Allen,

Joe Orlando has asked me to contact you concerning the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards and also the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test issue.

In the past we did not do any “test” or “proof” cards, and these did fall into that category. Over time we have started adding some of these types of cards to our system.

The last time our graders reviewed the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test cards they did not feel comfortable grading them. In the catalog information paragraph it states “Little is known about this issue…”, but it does list some specific differences from the regular Donruss cards which they feel should help them when grading. Our head grader has reviewed the information again, and said he feels we can grade them now. So please feel free to submit your cards.

As for the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue set, they still do not feel comfortable grading these yet because of the limited information that is given for these cards. The catalog also does not list any values which we prefer to have when grading cards.

Of course we are not saying that we will never grade them, but we do need to have a little more information then what is available to us now. Please feel free to send anything that you may find in your own research that may help us to grade them in the future. We are always very grateful to the collectors that are committed to the hobby and to our company.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions." >>

Well there you have it! I guess PSA does have a good customer service dept.?
    Collector Focus

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Does the 1986 sticker have the distinguishing copyright on it so you can delineate between a Topps and O-Pee-Chee sticker? I know that it does for Schmidt. Not sure about Ripken, based upon that scan.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

<< <i>

Well there you have it! I guess PSA does have a good customer service dept.? >>

Yeah, I'm good with that. I guess I will sub my Aqueous to PSA and see if I can get SCD to print more info on the Blue/White test issues, maybe with prices. I know of 3 of them that exist including mine, and I'm pretty sure the other 2 people remember what they paid for theirs. So maybe if I can get that done PSA would slab and grade them.

<< <i>Does the 1986 sticker have the distinguishing copyright on it so you can delineate between a Topps and O-Pee-Chee sticker? I know that it does for Schmidt. Not sure about Ripken, based upon that scan.

m >>

Not that I know of. As you probably know, the back is blank.
    15-card Ripken PSA 10 Lot

When I first saw this auction, I found it odd that this person posted a 15-card PSA 10 lot without listing each card in the lot. So I emailed them, and they replied with a list and a LARGE scan of each card. Here's the list:

1987 FLEER AWARD WINNERS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1988 SCORE CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1989 DONRUSS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1989 SCOREMASTERS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1994 FLAIR HOT GLOVE CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1995 DONRUSS COLLECTION CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1995 EMOTION PROMO CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1996 PINNACLE CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1996 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED CAL RIPKEN JR.
    1996 STADIUM CLUB CAL RIPKEN JR.
    2000 UD BEST IN THE BIGS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    2000 UD PROS & PROSPECTS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    2001 DONRUSS ELITE CAL RIPKEN JR.
    2002 ULTRA GLOVE WORKS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    2004 SP LEGENDARY CUTS CAL RIPKEN JR.

Just thought it was interesting.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So THAT'S what that is... I've had that "card" for a long time and I had no clue what it was, because it has no distinguishing marks on it. lol, I was just too lazy to do the research for it. Thanks! >>

Edited: I wrote this and did the scans before I saw the other posts. I'm a slow scanner.

Here's the problem. Both Topps and OPC issued the Tattoos in 86, with the set being almost identical. Only the copywrite lines are different.
    The Tattoos are issued in strips, and only the cards on the ends get the copywrite lines.
    I'm a Ted Simmons collector and yesterday I was going through my box of raw Simmons cards looking for submittables when I came across a full strip of OPC Tattoos. The Simmons is one of the ones that get the copywright line, but the Ripken card in in the middle of the strip and has no distingushing features.
    I'm going to submit the Ripken under this months special, but since it doesn't say OPC anywhere on the card I bet they call it a Toppsimage

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    I think there's a chance that they might not even grade it. The Pop Report has no OPCs graded, and for Topps it has "Perforated" at (2) 5s and (1) 8. There is also a "W/Action Plyrs.-Perf." listed at (1) 4.5, (1) 5, and (1) 9.
    A good way to get the OPC slabbed may be to submit the Ripken and also the end part that has the OPC copyright line. Not sure if they would do it, but may give it a chance
    If you look at the 2 Ted Simmons "cards" the colors are a lot more faded on the OPC version, most noticably the red oval which looks more like pink. Maybe there would be a way to bring that to their attention to establish a standard and prevent confusion across the board.
  • mariotownmariotown Posts: 509 ✭✭
    Since when do they let cameo cards in player sets?

I found this in the Michael Jordan Master Set:
    1990 HOOPS SAM VINCENT SHOWS MICHAEL JORDAN
    I collect PSA cards of the following:
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Jr. 1980-2002
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies

<< <i>Since when do they let cameo cards in player sets?

I found this in the Michael Jordan Master Set:
    1990 HOOPS SAM VINCENT SHOWS MICHAEL JORDAN >>

Cool card since it has Jordan in the #12 jersey, but doesn't belong in the master set!
    Is anyone here "r***0" or "c***c" on ebay? Or know who they are?
    I don't know what I am on ebay? Obviously I know what my ID is but not my disguised ID.
    I just won this auction
    Collector Focus

<< <i>I don't know what I am on ebay? Obviously I know what my ID is but not my disguised ID.
    I just won this auction >>

You are o***t image

I am jealous of the person who has 8***8, I've seen him/her buy a few Ripken cards too.
    Hmmm. What's my hidden i.d.? Always been curious...

<< <i>Hmmm. What's my hidden i.d.? Always been curious... >>

If my list is right, yours is n***n, but I can verify if you have a recent auction you've won that you can link.
    My ID is kgz25 (my wife and I share an account). What's my hidden one?

<< <i>My ID is kgz25 (my wife and I share an account). What's my hidden one? >>

5***z I sold a card to you back in May image

BTW, you guys can check your hidden ID by logging out of ebay and then opening the page for an auction you have won.
    $41.00 for 1986 Fleer Shortstops Supreme PSA 10! I know this things are tought, but man, that's steep!

Link

and then Pop1's like this sell for $3.99
    Where the heck was I on the Classic?? I never saw it pop up on my search, and I search "PSA 10 Ripken" sorted by "newest first" at least four times a day. That card is in the B&CI Set, I would have jumped all over it! Craziness...

<< <i>Where the heck was I on the Classic?? I never saw it pop up on my search, and I search "PSA 10 Ripken" sorted by "newest first" at least four times a day. That card is in the B&CI Set, I would have jumped all over it! Craziness... >>

Even worse for me, I actually saw the dang card but forgot to put it in a snipe for it image
    Tuna, did you ever find out who C***C was?

<< <i>Tuna, did you ever find out who C***C was? >>

Nope image
    I am very happy with this score.
    2000 Fleer Diamond Skills
    Collector Focus

<< <i>I am very happy with this score.
    2000 Fleer Diamond Skills >>

Nice! I've seen some of those before image

<< <i>Tuna, did you ever find out who C***C was? >>

c***c is call1dino
    Well, I think I was a grade higher on each. I thought for sure a 7 and a 9image
    Collector Focus

I actually let out an audible "WOAH" when I saw this pop up on the bay...

1995 Topps PSA 10

It's a Pop 9, but I bet it will still bring over $70 at least. I have two ready to send to PSA, but I'll still take a crack at this one...

<< <i>I actually let out an audible "WOAH" when I saw this pop up on the bay...

1995 Topps PSA 10

It's a Pop 9, but I bet it will still bring over $70 at least. I have two ready to send to PSA, but I'll still take a crack at this one... >>

I actually refreshed my page to make sure I wasn't seeing things! Trust me when I say I'm gonna be bringing the heat! I hope I don't step on too many toes when I bid on it.
    K, since you're interested too, I'm gonna go ahead and back out of this one, since I have two minty-fresh ones ready to sub. Good luck man! image
    Thanks Jeff. There is another card that I saw pop that I practically did a backflip over. I don't want to call to much attention to it, but I promise I will stop at nothing for it. Kingrang or no Kingrang I will win it! I know if you look you'll find it...
    Did you guys get this email? If so, what did you vote for?

"Dear Set Registry Member,

I am contacting you because you have a master player set registered in the PSA Set Registry. Currently, the master player sets will allow for multiple combinations of stickers/stamps/panels to be added as separate line items. We are polling to see if the majority would prefer that these items become one line item as either/or. In other words, the sticker/stamp/panel for a specific company & date would be listed in one slot and a member could add any combination to fill that slot, provided the player of the set you are participating in, is listed on the item.

We would like to get your opinion on this matter. Please vote for one of the following options:

1) Continue to allow and require multiple combinations and keep the master sets as they are

2) Remove duplicate stickers/stamps/panels for each company/year and make these items either/or in one slot for that company/year

3) No opinion

Your vote is important. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Cosetta Robbins

Assistant Set Registry Manager"
    That is fantastic news! I need to actually check my email account! Finally!

Edit: Just replied. Hopefully action gets taken on this matter.
    I voted #2. I know as a collector I should have voted for #1, but I'm a "percentage complete" type of guy, and I just want to fill the hole, not collect every combination of that card, stamp or sticker.