Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy WHAT the?! You have three of them??? Any pre-sub scans?

I just dropped off 19 Ripkens under the August C.C. Special at the show this past weekend, so wish me luck on my Basic Set Upgrades! image
  • Options
    i would be interested in one of the auto cards
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy WHAT the?! You have three of them??? Any pre-sub scans? >>

I'll scan them tonight.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    $63.58 for a 1987 Topps PSA 10! Crazy!! This is a pop 36
  • Options
    ya,that price was pretty high for the card
  • Options
    I'd love to see those 92 Elite Autos!!!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Alright, I was gonna hold off scanning them til more cards came in to do them all together. But you twisted my arm enough. Plus my gf woke me up super early this morning (4:45) so I guess I can. Gimme a couple mins.
  • Options
    Alright here you go:

Edit: I didn't do a very good job scanning the backs. Kinda made it tough to align them. The faces directly coincide with their backs.
  • Options
    Gees... Where did you get three of them?? Which one is your front-runner for the 10? I can't tell from the smaller scans, but how is the chipping on the backs? The one I have has pretty bad chipping. Good luck man!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That's really cool! Hope you get the ultimate grade on one of those submissions.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    All three of yours are way nicer than mine:

Here, I'll post this pic to give you good luck! image

• Options

<< <i>Gees... Where did you get three of them?? Which one is your front-runner for the 10? I can't tell from the smaller scans, but how is the chipping on the backs? The one I have has pretty bad chipping. Good luck man! >>

I can't remember off the top of my head which it is that looks amazing. After work I'll take a look and let you know. I wanna say it was the third one for some reason. As far as obtaining them I cut a deal with a guy for 2 of them and another 1 with a different guy for the third.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I just sent in a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken. I'm expecting a PSA 5 or 6 on it. I'll post it when I get it back. I've also got the 1990 Donruss Blue/White but don't know who grades those.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I just sent in a 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken. I'm expecting a PSA 5 or 6 on it. I'll post it when I get it back. I've also got the 1990 Donruss Blue/White but don't know who grades those.

Kevin >>

Can't wait to see the results on the Aqueous. It sounds like SGC "might" grade the Blue/Whites, but in my exchanges with them they basically said it would be 50/50. Not sure what BGS has to say about the Blue/Whites, but they have been grading Aqueous for awhile.
  • Options
    K, those are some beauties! Good luck and lets us know the results for sure!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Just when I thought PSA didn't grade proofs I see they graded a Nolan Ryan 1984 Topps Proof. Take a look at the bottom of the top Ryan Master Set. They even graded proofs of the Topps coins from the 80s!

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Just when I thought PSA didn't grade proofs I see they graded a Nolan Ryan 1984 Topps Proof. Take a look at the bottom of the top Ryan Master Set. They even graded proofs of the Topps coins from the 80s!

Kevin >>

Hmm yet Joe O. says they won't grade my 93 Select Proof, just slab it Authentic
  • Options
    Here's one I have in my Master Set:

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Nice proof...image

A couple of nice 1984 all star pop 1 of 1's went off tonite...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I am looking to get Cal to sign some of my cards and was wondering which, beside rookie cards, would be the best for him to sign. I only want to do 3 or 4 and maybe more later. My nephew and his son play on the same team and my nephew also plays on Cal's summer youth team that travels the country. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    The Donruss or Fleer would hold my vote. I just don't like the look of the Topps Traded signed simply because the facsimile auto that's already on there messes with the look of the real one. I also don't like the regular issue signed because of the other two dudes. Obviously I wouldn't kick ANY of them out of my collection, but if I had to choose, it would be the Donruss or Fleer. The minor league cards look GREAT signed too!

EDIT: Welcome to the boards! image
  • Options
    My top vote would go for the 82 Donruss RC since it's my favorite. Other than that 86 Fleer, 87 Donruss, and 90 Upper Deck Would get my vote. I think those three would look great auto'd.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My top vote would go for the 82 Donruss RC since it's my favorite. Other than that 86 Fleer, 87 Donruss, and 90 Upper Deck Would get my vote. I think those three would look great auto'd. >>

second the 86 Fleer it is a great looking card.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I've seen the 85 Fleer auto'd in blue fine point sharpie and it looked AMAZING!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will post the pic's as soon as I get them back.
  • Options
    Ummmmm... HOLY CRAP!! PSA-SET-GUY just listed 156 PSA 10s... Where does this guy come up with this stuff?? Great, there goes my new laptop fund!
  • Options
    Too rich for my blood! I'm backing out... 98 Topps #320 PSA 10
  • Options

<< <i>Ummmmm... HOLY CRAP!! PSA-SET-GUY just listed 156 PSA 10s... Where does this guy come up with this stuff?? >>

He definitely goes where the money is. To think that he doesn't look at all of our registries to see what he should buy would be obsurd. I swear between the members of just this thread we're probably paying at least his car note every month.
  • Options
    LOL... I wonder who r***d (103) is. Can't believe you ran it up that high so soon! I'm out now too... thank you for saving me from being disappointed on Sunday! Now I can concentrate on the other Basic 10s that I need. I was just going to bid as much as it would have cost me to go buy two boxes and sub my own. I guess I'll stick to that plan!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ummmmm... HOLY CRAP!! PSA-SET-GUY just listed 156 PSA 10s... Where does this guy come up with this stuff?? >>

He definitely goes where the money is. To think that he doesn't look at all of our registries to see what he should buy would be obsurd. I swear between the members of just this thread we're probably paying at least his car note every month. >>

If he wanted to stick with where the money is, he should sub cards only from the Basic Set. A majority of those cards are from the B&CI Set. I personally would never go that strong for those cards... at least not yet! image
  • Options
    He just needs to look at kingrang's set and figure out what he doesn't have yet...
  • Options

<< <i>LOL... I wonder who r***d (103) is. Can't believe you ran it up that high so soon! I'm out now too... thank you for saving me from being disappointed on Sunday! Now I can concentrate on the other Basic 10s that I need. I was just going to bid as much as it would have cost me to go buy two boxes and sub my own. I guess I'll stick to that plan! >>

I hate to be the bad guy to do that, but at the same time I wasn't going to wait til the last second just to get jipped. Plus at any point on the way to $100 I would have been willing to pay for it had I outbid the other guy. I swear completing my baic set is starting to consume my life!
  • Options
    I'm glad you bid it up, that way I won't try saving my money for that card, just to get disappointed later. Now I have extra room to bid on the rest that I need!
  • Options
    Should just start working on your master sets, get more bang for the buck instead of competing for high dollar cards image
  • Options
    I actually have been working on my Master set. Focusing on the 80's (although I have grabbed a bunch from 90-91) The plan is to finish my Basic set, then work on my BCI set, followed by my 80's Master, and then finally the rest of the Master. I'll never finish all this but I'd like to remain oblivious to that fact for now.
  • Options
    i was going to bid on the 98 topps,i cannt now its way to highimage
  • Options

<< <i>i was going to bid on the 98 topps,i cannt now its way to highimage >>

I see it going to at least $130 before things are said and done...
  • Options
    One of the harder to get PSA 10's. I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one.

86 Leaf
  • Options

<< <i>One of the harder to get PSA 10's. I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one.

86 Leaf >>

I'd buy it if it weren't for the seller.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd buy it if it weren't for the seller. >>

I know a lot of people have issues with 4SC but honestly, I really don't mind them. With out them and PSG my set would pretty much cease to exist.
  • Options
    Me too, I love buying from those guys.
  • Options
    I just haven't been too pleased with the quality of cards I've had from 4SC, if I would have submitted them they would be 8's or 9's on a good day. I've since sold off any 4SC cards I've had.

I've actually rethought what I want to collect lately. I'm going to focus more on completing my raw collection and then hopefully have a PSA collection that are all self-subbed. I'm also going to focus on just having a PSA 9+ set instead of 10. There's just too much out there for me to pay the price of the 10's. I'll continue to buy 10's, but only if they are in the $10 or under range and the card actually looks like a 10, or if it's a rare card that the price is close to the raw price of the card.
  • Options
    I have 2 Kraft Homeplate Heroes Panl for sale. The first is Ripken / Davis PSA 8 and the other is Ripken / Scott PSA 5. Let me know if your interested. Thanks
  • Options
    can we see a scan of the ripken
  • Options
    Well looks like we will have a bunch of new "variations" in the Master set. timbo1420's auctions of various cutups of 1984 and 1985 All-Star Program inserts, and 1983 Fleer sticker panels sold. What's really amusing is that most of these sold for over $20, when the first time he listed at $14.99 they ended with no bids, then at 9.99 with no bids. Then he lists again and they get multiple bidders... I think some people just like to outbid each other image
  • Options
    Wow, this finally sold... what a sweet card!!

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well looks like we will have a bunch of new "variations" in the Master set. timbo1420's auctions of various cutups of 1984 and 1985 All-Star Program inserts, and 1983 Fleer sticker panels sold. What's really amusing is that most of these sold for over $20, when the first time he listed at $14.99 they ended with no bids, then at 9.99 with no bids. Then he lists again and they get multiple bidders... I think some people just like to outbid each other image >>

I wish I had caught them the first or second time around...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I am so far away from chasing down variations in the Master Set. One set at a time for me!
  • Options
    So much for the $17.50 "book value"

Link

• Options
    I've been seeing a lot of new id's bidding up all the Ripkens lately. I sure hope there isn't another start up registry set out there that I'll have to compete with.