Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Recently picked up a box of 1998 Topps, trying to pull a minty-fresh Ripken. Pulled two of them, but both way OC! What the?? Crap...
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    Stupid price of the day: Link

In a PSA 9 this routinely sells for $30-45
  • Options
    My 9 sold for $58.00 a couple weeks ago. Very odd things going on lately with Ripken cards...
  • Options
    Just to let you know I'll be listing these on Sunday under seller ID Hammerman378-all are tough low pops:
    MINT 9 1990 ALL AMERICAN BASEBALL TEAM 4 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    GEM MINT 10 1995 KING-B 18 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1998 PINNACLE INSIDE 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. ---only copy graded(issued in a can Tough)
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1988 CHEF BOYARDEE 7 CAL RIPKEN JR. PERFORATED
    MINT 9 1991 MOO TOWN SNACKERS 14 CAL RIPKEN JR
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Tuna, who is R***D 111?

98 Topps
  • Options
    DANG IT! Well, I guess that helps me bid a little higher on the other cards on my watch list tonight. Crap...
  • Options
    For the record, I'll be bidding on these fairly aggressively tonight:

1995 donruss #83
    1995 score #3
    1995 select #1
    1995 upper deck #365
    1997 stadium #8
    1998 sp authentic #55

Not sure which ones you guys are watching, but I need those in 10. If anyone else plans to bid on these, I'm open for compromise so we don't kill each other in a bidding war.

Unfortunately I can't snipe these tonight because I have two softball games at the same time these are ending. I have a feeling I'm gonna get stuffed on most of them.
  • Options

<< <i>For the record, I'll be bidding on these fairly aggressively tonight:

1995 donruss #83
    1995 score #3
    1995 select #1
    1995 upper deck #365
    1997 stadium #8
    1998 sp authentic #55

Not sure which ones you guys are watching, but I need those in 10. If anyone else plans to bid on these, I'm open for compromise so we don't kill each other in a bidding war.

Unfortunately I can't snipe these tonight because I have two softball games at the same time these are ending. I have a feeling I'm gonna get stuffed on most of them. >>

lol I just put in a couple high bids on the 95 Select and the 97 SC just to let you know.
  • Options
    It looks like Mr. c***c 282 (i.e. Call1Dino) has finally posted a couple sets...

Call1Dino registry sets
  • Options
    We're probably gonna see another set pop soon.

jenniferp20 (0***e 2296) has been buying up a dropping quite a bit on some Ripken Basic Topps cards recently.

87 Topps
    94 Topps <<<I think I paid $15 for mine!
    97 Topps
    98 Topps
    00 Topps

$366.82 is the total I came up with.
  • Options

<< <i>We're probably gonna see another set pop soon.

jenniferp20 (0***e 2296) has been buying up a dropping quite a bit on some Ripken Basic Topps cards recently.

87 Topps
    94 Topps <<<I think I paid $15 for mine!
    97 Topps
    98 Topps
    00 Topps

$366.82 is the total I came up with. >>

Looks like they are only interested in the basic Topps set though, the only other transaction I have recorded for that user is a 2009 Goudey PSA 10. But yeah, they are definitely interested in getting the regular Topps issues!
  • Options

<< <i>Tuna, who is R***D 111?

98 Topps >>

r***d is jnrsportscards

<< <i>It looks like Mr. c***c 282 (i.e. Call1Dino) has finally posted a couple sets...

Call1Dino registry sets >>

Yeah and he's getting close to me on my 1995 Emotion Timeless Set image There was one card from that set that I needed to replace a PSA 9, luckily goucolts came in and outbid him, but I wasn't willing to pay over $25 for it. I do like him as a buyer of my cards though, every time he's won something from he's paid within minutes after I send the invoice!
  • Options
    Well I'm down to four cards now. Sorry about jacking up that Stadium Club Adam, I forgot that was one you had bid on until I came back to the forum. I'm done bidding for today, wherever they end up is gonna have to be good enough. Good luck all!
  • Options
    These 2 are going on the auction block tonight:

• Options
    HOLY CRAP!!! I just watched this end!

98 Topps

I think we have a new record here!
  • Options

<< <i>HOLY CRAP!!! I just watched this end!

98 Topps

I think we have a new record here! >>

Umm... wow... thats cyots82 btw.
  • Options
    Brutal...

Who's d***d(1411)?

I find it kind of odd that the three auctions that I won happened to be bid up to the exact amount I set my max bid as ($33.33).

When you're bidding up an item, and say you bid $33.00... if you're still not the highest bidder, the top bid will be set at $1.00 above yours ($34.00). That tells you that you're at least more than $1.00 under the high bid. But when you see the top bid stop at $33.33, that tells you HEY, that must be the current high bidder's high bid! Wouldn't you then throw an extra buck on top of that just so you can barely be the higher bidder? On the four auctions I was bidding on, they were all bid up to exactly $33.33, by "d***d(1411)", without any additional bidding.

Am I to believe this person just gave up, or was I shilled? Tuna, any idea who that might be? I'm sure I must be over-thinking this one, but it's just too odd.

Crazy price on that 1998 Topps! It's way too tempting to list my 2001 Topps 10... image
  • Options

<< <i>Brutal...

Who's d***d(1411)?

I find it kind of odd that the three auctions that I won happened to be bid up to the exact amount I set my max bid as ($33.33).

When you're bidding up an item, and say you bid $33.00... if you're still not the highest bidder, the top bid will be set at $1.00 above yours ($34.00). That tells you that you're at least more than $1.00 under the high bid. But when you see the top bid stop at $33.33, that tells you HEY, that must be the current high bidder's high bid! Wouldn't you then throw an extra buck on top of that just so you can barely be the higher bidder? On the four auctions I was bidding on, they were all bid up to exactly $33.33, by "d***d(1411)", without any additional bidding.

Am I to believe this person just gave up, or was I shilled? Tuna, any idea who that might be? I'm sure I must be over-thinking this one, but it's just too odd.

Crazy price on that 1998 Topps! It's way too tempting to list my 2001 Topps 10... image >>

d***d (1411) is my good friend (/sarcasm) holdyoudada (Michael Wynne). Not sure on the bidding thing, eBay is funky sometimes with the proxy bids. That is definitely strange though!
  • Options
    Nevermind then, Michael Wynne has nothing to do with irvinecardco. He may have had it set up to bid for him through a snipe program or something, and his bid must have just happened to be below mine. Oh well... it was just weird.
  • Options
    Yep, took down the 98 Topps. I wasn't thinking it would go that high, but I was ready to pay the price for it. Glad that I'm down to two cards. I have my eyes set on the 82 Topps now and then I'll make one final push for the 01. I can't wait for the day to snag that last Ripken!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, took down the 98 Topps. I wasn't thinking it would go that high, but I was ready to pay the price for it. Glad that I'm down to two cards. I have my eyes set on the 82 Topps now and then I'll make one final push for the 01. I can't wait for the day to snag that last Ripken! >>

You Ripken collector's and your crazy prices for the Basic Topps set image Too bad the '99 one isn't worth much or I'd have that puppy on eBay!!
  • Options
    Way to go man! Good luck with the 2001! I know it's possible! image
  • Options
    Big BL must have got something too, because he just updated his set again. His GPA is now 9.93! The highest it can be is 9.993. I think he's only one card away from having it the highest he can have it right now.

As far as I know, there are only two cards in the Basic set that no 10s exist, and that's the 1995 Studio, and the 1997 Select. I'm doing my best to change that right now, but I recently discovered why it's so tough to get a PSA 10 1995 Studio. They're packed with one either a gold or platinum plastic card with rounded corners, which in turn makes the rest of the card's corners in that pack easier to bend. It's weird, but almost all of the cards I pulled from those packs had slightly bent corners.
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff! I was really glad to see you popped one! It gives us all hope image I also need the Greg Maddux 01 Topps for that set, It's one of two that I'm left with, so needless to say there is no love lost for the 01 Topps set!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Even the employees didn't get many PSA 10's! image

• Options
    Nice image
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    higbees.com is dumping a bunch of PSA 10s out on the bay right now... haven't seen any I can use yet though.
  • Options

<< <i>higbees.com is dumping a bunch of PSA 10s out on the bay right now... haven't seen any I can use yet though. >>

A few I'm interested in.
  • Options
    Actually, there IS a 1994 Topps that I need. Most of it is B&CI stuff.
  • Options
    There's one more... 2000 Fleer (pop 4)... here we go! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, there IS a 1994 Topps that I need. Most of it is B&CI stuff. >>

I'm all about the Master registry... got to solidify my 9th place you know! image
  • Options
    2000 Ultra I need... pop 3 lol

Yeah, that Master set is like a pipe dream for me. Not sure how Kevin does it!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Nice on both of those! How did you get them to slab the Tattoo as the OPC issue? There was some discussion awhile back that it was hard to tell the Topps and OPC apart since the copyright was on a different part of the panel.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I had to go back to pages 41, and 42 to find the conversation about the Tattoos.

I just got that July Special back last week. As I mentioned back in July, I subbed the Simmons OPC Tattoo with the Ripken. I guess they figured that if the Simmons was an OPC then the Ripken was as well. It's the ONLY graded example of the Tattoo!
    I'm happy with the grades on both of those cards, although I didn't expect a 10 on the 86 (I was just hoping for it).

The Simmons Tattoo graded a 9.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Nice pops!
  • Options
    There's a guy on the FCB forums that says he has 6,187 different Ripkens... wow!
  • Options
    Here's his photobucket... WOW!
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    His 1980 WBTV blue is most impressive imo. Centering and corners look like a 9 to me - maybe a 10
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His 1980 WBTV blue is most impressive imo. Centering and corners look like a 9 to me - maybe a 10 >>

unfortunately, it's a counterfeit.......can anyone get in touch with him to pass this on to him?

refer him to www.ripkenintheminors.com
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    You are correct. It did look to good to be true, and unfortunately it is.
  • Options
    Wow...
  • Options
    Finally had a chance to tally my raw Ripken collection and it's nothing compared to that guy. I have a ton of doubles because I just collect any Ripken cards. Out of 3,973 raw Ripkens, I only have 1,110 different ones. This list doesn't include my 407 graded Ripken cards, which a lot of those I don't even have raw, but it's close enough.

The thing is I don't collect the gimmicky jersey and sticker-auto cards. They just never really appealed to me, besides the obvious fact that they're too expensive for what they are. That guy's collection IS very impressive though. Someone really should ask him if he realizes that blue minor league card is a fake. Maybe even direct him to this thread.
  • Options
    Our collections are probably really similar Jeff. I've got about 1200 different Ripkens but over 3000 total. I also don't collect the sticker autos (I have 0) or game used (I have 3) stuff. I'm a bit behind on the PSA's though with only around 140.

I'll shoot the guy a message and see if he knows about the counterfeit, although I hate being the bearer of bad news!
  • Options
    With a collection like that he almost has to know. Hell, I would love even a counterfeit for a low price.

I need to update my spreadsheet. Back in 2005 I pulled off the player checklist from Beckett.com, and put in all of my quantities. I still update that list of quantities, but the list stops at 2005. I'm sure the prices are different too, but those prices are relative anyway. Does anyone know if the Beckett.com player checklist still comes with the online subscription? I know the price went up, but it would be worth it for me, just for a month.
  • Options
    "The Cal Ripken Jr. Master Set has been updated with the item '1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 490 CAL RIPKEN JR.' which you requested on 9/22/2009 8:18:00 AM. You can now add your item to the set. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

Thank you.

The Set Registry Staff"
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    How can you guys tell its fake?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    The first thing I always look at is the O's logo. That one is more of a dark orange, where the real one is a lighter orange. The second thing that jumps out at me is the white border. The fakes ones are very straight and crisp lines, where the real ones are just a little bit rough and imperfect. You can read all about it on RipkenInTheMinor's website.
  • Options
    The owner knows its fake, I didn't ask if he got taken for a bunch of money, or if he just bought a counterfeit version to have one. Didn't want to rub salt into wounds if he did get taken image
  • Options
    1200!! image