Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong getting a 10 for $3.97
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I love it when 4SC posts those like that. I've picked up many of them in the past. I'll take high-pop Master Set Only 10s all day for under $4.00 shipped.
  • Options
    I'm going all out on the 93 Finest that closes in a couple hours. It's a card that I've been trying to grab up for quite some time now. My bid is in and it is high so if it is to be it will be...
  • Options
    Good luck with it! That's one of my favorites of the set. I actually received mine as a GIFT back in 2007. Some of you might remember, but a guy named Jim Kane at one point had one of the top 3 sets back then (if not THE top), and he decided to sell off his set. He emailed a few people from the registry with a list of his cards for sale. I know Michael Wynne bought a bunch, and I bought about $350 worth. When he shipped me the cards, one of them was missing (simply overlooked), so he sent that one right after we discovered the mistake. When I opened the envelope, there were two cards in it. One was the missing card, and the other was 1993 Finest PSA 10!! I nearly shat myself, lol! I emailed him thanking him profusely. He's a good guy. Wonder what he's up to now, collecting-wise?

Anyway, I hope you get it for a low price!

EDIT: come to think of it, it was that purchase from Jim Kane that started this entire Ripken thread! lol
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can't go wrong getting a 10 for $3.97 >>

How about 99 cents? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You can't go wrong getting a 10 for $3.97 >>

How about 99 cents? image >>

Actually Don if you want to get technical, you paid $4.99... image
  • Options
    Bah, technicalities! image
  • Options
    I FINALLY GOT MY 93 FINEST PSA 10!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Nice one! Way to go man! Not sure if you were aware of this, but that card is tied for the 3rd highest card weight (5) in the Basic Set! Tied with the 1984 Donruss, and is only topped by the RCs (9,9,10)!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice one! Way to go man! Not sure if you were aware of this, but that card is tied for the 3rd highest card weight (5) in the Basic Set! Tied with the 1984 Donruss, and is only topped by the RCs (9,9,10)! >>

I did know that, but even with the addition of it I think I am just delaying the inevitable of being passed up by the Gr8CalOs and Workclothing sets. It's getting very cramped at the top of the Basic set registry and I think a couple big dogs are about to get pushed off the porch...
  • Options
    I know, I'm a gentle flick of the wrist away from getting knocked down to 3rd if Wynne decides to add another card or two.

Gr8CalOs is on a mean streak! He started off with (100) PSA 10s, and has added (26) more in the past four months, going up 14.77% in completion, and 1.23 in grade rating. In that same amount of time, I've only gone up 0.10 in rating and have spent well over $1000 while doing it (mainly because two of those cards were RCs).
  • Options
    What are we going to do about this 1985 Topps crap... I know it's killing most of us here with it's Pop 7. Could you imagine if this thing popped up on the bay right now? With the prices the other base Topps cards are pulling down, I wouldn't be shocked to see it go for well over $500, maybe even $1k! If you try and figure how much product you would have to open in order to have a remote chance in finding a Gem, $1k might be a bargain. The only three people from the registry who own a PSA 10 are BL, Wynne, and the "Le Mieux Collection".

We need to think of a way to chop at this sucker, and save a few bucks in the process. BBCE has a vending case for $750, but I'm sure he would be willing to come down a bit. The problem with this set is the other key RCs like McGwire, Clemens, and Puckett. That why this thing is so tough to conquer. It's just so expensive to take a real stab at. I have about 20 1985 Topps raw, but none of them even come close to a 10.

Anyone else have ideas?
  • Options
    I would definitely be down for a few 85 boxes. I have been wondering about that 85 for a while now. My raw 85's are all crap. Wish there was an easy way around this dilema.
  • Options
    For a moment I thought about cut cases (C), but we've seen what type of grades those boxes yield. Dunno... the risk/reward is pretty bad on this one. I don't really like vending too much, but I'd be willing to take a whack at it once.
  • Options
    It's too bad BBCE doesn't have a 1985 rack case
  • Options
    I wonder if he does and maybe doesn't have it on the site yet? I think I'll call him tomorrow.
  • Options
    I just emailed him and asked if he happens to have a case, or how many rack boxes he has in stock. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Was browsing Heritage Auctions archives today, some cool stuff in there, like this!
  • Options
    Just picked up two PSA 10s for my Basic Set tonight!

1994 Topps for $30.00

2000 Fleer for $26.66

I'm pretty happy about it! Got both for way lower than I expected. The Fleer is a Pop 4.
  • Options
    WHAT THE??

2000 Ultra $104.50

It's a Pop 3, and I need it, but DAYUM!
  • Options
    Wow, and neither of the top bidders were call1dino, goucolts or kingrang. That's crazy... now you can see why I've been selling off my low pop 10's. Of course I was pretty disappointed in the sale of my pop 1 and 2 1996 Ripken Collection cards at $22.50 each image

Oh the winner of the 2000 Ultra was Michael Wynne.
  • Options

<< <i>Just picked up two PSA 10s for my Basic Set tonight!

1994 Topps for $30.00

2000 Fleer for $26.66

I'm pretty happy about it! Got both for way lower than I expected. The Fleer is a Pop 4. >>

I think higbees left a lot of money on the table by not listing the pops in the title... they had some pretty low pop stuff in there.
  • Options
    Whenever I see a card that I need, I add a note on my watch list, with my current grade, and the pop of the PSA 10. That helps me figure out how high I'm going to have to aim.

So Wynne got the Ultra? I feel a #3 in my near future. image

Well maybe not NEAR future, but it's inevitable.
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry man image

Ugh... I've got a lot of prices to add. I can't wait until I can automate this process instead of doing it by hand image
  • Options
    Does there happen to be a sample of your progress? image
  • Options

<< <i>Does there happen to be a sample of your progress? image >>

I was hoping to have something done by now... but have been too busy with other things lately. The back end works good, I just have to get the front end done image Girlfriend isn't in town this weekend so I will try to get some done on it!
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good luck with it! That's one of my favorites of the set. I actually received mine as a GIFT back in 2007. Some of you might remember, but a guy named Jim Kane at one point had one of the top 3 sets back then (if not THE top), and he decided to sell off his set. He emailed a few people from the registry with a list of his cards for sale. I know Michael Wynne bought a bunch, and I bought about $350 worth. When he shipped me the cards, one of them was missing (simply overlooked), so he sent that one right after we discovered the mistake. When I opened the envelope, there were two cards in it. One was the missing card, and the other was 1993 Finest PSA 10!! I nearly shat myself, lol! I emailed him thanking him profusely. He's a good guy. Wonder what he's up to now, collecting-wise?

Anyway, I hope you get it for a low price!

EDIT: come to think of it, it was that purchase from Jim Kane that started this entire Ripken thread! lol >>

Jeff - thanks for the kind words. I'm still around. While I don't collect the Ripken registry set any more, I still follow this thread. I've always admired the discipline it would take to stay at some of the modern player sets. Sets like yours and Kevin's and some of the other are just amazing. That lack of discipline made me decide to give up the Ripken set a few years ago. I had completed it when it was <200 cards, 300 card and almost 350 cards. I gave up when it got to 470 cards. That was before there was three player type sets (used to be only basic and master). I just had a hard time having fun tracking down some of the sets. I think it was the 1991 UD Fun Pack card that pushed me over the edge (came back a 7!). I still collect Ripken "stuff" and mostly Orioles card/autographs. I'm working on the 1971, 1972 Orioles team registry sets as well as a topps run of Orioles cards from 1954-present (need 9 more) and have branched into older cards. Also, just started to collect Ripken auto cards on his regular base Topps cards from 1982-2001. Here is a link to my sets:

My sets

The 1985 card is probably the one that I wished I sold separately (or held). I originally bought it for $150 as a buy-it-now from 4SC. It had been up for auction for probably 4 or 5 days and I was watching it, not sure if I would be able to wait it out and buy it later as they lowered their price when there was no bids. Finally, bought it with a day left in the 7 day auction. Not sure it would last that long now. It went to Mike Wynne with a lot of my other cards.

I dug out what is left of my Ripken set (graded) that for whatever reason I didn't sell. If anyone needs any of these cards for their set, drop me a note and I'll send them out to you (sorry no PSA 10s left).

Jim

1993 Leaf #431 PSA 9
    1993 UD #585 PSA 9
    1992 OPC Prem #137 PSA 9
    1990 Score #2 PSA 9
    1989 Score #15 PSA 9
    1996 SPx #5 PSA 9
    1994 Studio #127 PSA 9
    1991 OPC Prem #100 PSA 9
    1995 Emotion #8 PSA 9
    2001 Fleer #340 PSA 8
    1994 Studio #127 PSA 8
    1999 Fleer #8 PSA 8
    1995 SP Die-cut #1 PSA 8
    1996 Bowman #1 PSA 8
    1991 Leaf #430 PSA 8
  • Options
    Hey Jim! It's good to see you still around here! I really digging your other sets, especially the Brooks Basic and Ripken Autos! I've been working on a Brooks Basic raw set for now, and would get them graded later. It's really a mid-level grade collection anyway.

How far along are you with the Topps Ripken Regular Issue Auto set? I'd love to see some scans! Did you happen to catch the gift I made for my Dad for Father's Day this year? Figured you might get a kick out of it:

I only wish I had the extra money in 2007 that I do now. I got a better job in 2008, and I have more fun money now! image

Hope to see you on here more often! We could use your input on stuff! Unfortunately I can't use any of the cards you listed, but I'm sure someone on here would like them. Good luck with your collection!
  • Options
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    YES!! Thank you!! You just saved me $6.99 and time!! image
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks Kevin!! Some of the prices are pretty laughable though...

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test #96 Cal Ripken Jr. $40.00
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Does that checklist really have 12,000 items?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Does that checklist really have 12,000 items? >>

Yeah, and it's incomplete too image I think the Griffey list is quite a bit bigger though!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I think if I were insane enough to start the Ripken Master set I'd limit it to the years 1980-1992. Before things got out of hand.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Going through it, some prices are lower that they were in 2005. Not many are higher at all.
  • Options

<< <i>I think if I were insane enough to start the Ripken Master set I'd limit it to the years 1980-1992. Before things got out of hand. >>

I mostly do up until 1998, with a few issues after that.
  • Options
    Luckily the PSA Master Set Registry only covers his active playing issues.
  • Options
    I didn't see the 90 Donruss Blue/White test issue on the list.
  • Options
    the cal ripken jr checklist was really a nice present......thanks
  • Options
    Anyone have any info on this issue?
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have any info on this issue? >>

Never seen it before. Dare I say Broders?
  • Options

<< <i>

Never seen it before. Dare I say Broders? >>

It does look kind of cheap like a Broders issue, but this one actually has some copyright info on the back. There was a guy on the FCB forums that posted this card because he is looking for an Ozzie Smith. Apparently when Ozzie Smith retired, SCD printed a checklist for him and a card from this set was listed for him. I meant to bid on it, for around $10 I figured I'd take a shot... but I forgot to bid image
  • Options
    Should I be worried? I just bought this 1983 Topps PSA 10 for $30 Buy It Now. It has no photo and a very short description. I asked the seller for the cert number, and I won't send payment until I receive that. If it's all legit, I'll be pretty excited.
  • Options
    Sweet! The seller replied with the cert number 15011253.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I bought the 1984D last night
  • Options
    Kevin,

Did you ever send your 1990 Donruss Blue/White test off to anyone for grading?
  • Options
    Not yet. How about you? Did you end up with the 8.5 on the Donruss Aqueous?
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Not yet. How about you? Did you end up with the 8.5 on the Donruss Aqueous? >>

Haha I wish, still haven't sent it in yet. I'm scared I'll end up with a crappy grade. Haven't done anything with the Blue/White yet either. Maybe by the end of the year I'll get something done image
  • Options

<< <i>Should I be worried? I just bought this 1983 Topps PSA 10 for $30 Buy It Now. It has no photo and a very short description. I asked the seller for the cert number, and I won't send payment until I receive that. If it's all legit, I'll be pretty excited. >>

Sounds like you got a steal! Now if someone just lists a 1985 Topps PSA 10 like that image
  • Options
    Oh man, I would probably break my finger trying to Buy It Now on that sucker... lol