Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering where you wandered off to, hope all is well!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I went to visit some family up in northern Maine. They live out in the woods with no road access. It was a 3 hour snowmobile ride in. Pretty impressive cabin though. It was running off of solar, wind, and water. Worst part was having to pump water for anything that required it. Cousin caught the survivalist bug about 10 years ago and hasn't looked back since. Good to see him though.

Now back to Cal...
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Fort Kent? The end of the world.................
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Anyone on here pick this up?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had one for years but what I like about it is the different cropping in the photo (as an aside, Cal told me that this picture was taken in West Palm Beach)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone on here pick this up? >>

I'm pretty sure that Kevin has a few versions of the card.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm going to be sending in a few sure shot 10 95 Topps Cal's. I know the prices they bring on the bay are pretty crazy but I am willing to cut deals on them to board members. If anyone is interested let me know so I can sub enough to go around.
  • Options
    I picked my '95 up last month for $76. Good luck with the grades!
  • Options
    I thought this was a funny photo of Cal. Take a look below:

Cal in cowboy boots
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    That's hilarious! lol
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone needs this but I have a 1985 O-Pee-Chee #30 Cal Ripken Jr. PSA 8 for sale/trade...

BST link
  • Options
    I was looking through my cards as I was scanning them for Flickr and noticed a particular picture is on several different cards from several series of cards.

Same photo on multiple cards

Anyone know of any other cards this particular photo is used on?

Kevin
  • Options
    I think I knew about all of them but the Dorman's and the Meadow Gold. The 1988 KayBee is the only one with the logo on the hat. image
  • Options
    Alright so it's almost time to get my taxes done and the big thing I am going to treat myself to is an 82 Traded PSA 10. I havn't bought any Ripkens in a while and it is about time I jump back in with a bang. I think the one that's on Ebay right now is a little overpriced so I am definitely going to be holding out for the next one to come down the pipeline.
  • Options
    For some reason I'm not seeing any 10s on the bay right now. Linky?

Sounds like fun! I wish I had that much to spend all at once right now. Maybe sometime this year. You're wise to wait. At least wait for an auction instead of a BIN. Better chance of getting a deal. Good luck!!
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason I'm not seeing any 10s on the bay right now. Linky? >>

There was one up with a BIN of $1400 if I recall. Let me check and I'll get back to ya. Who knows someone might have bought it.
  • Options
    Just checked and I didn't see it. I know the last time I looked at what was up was before New Years so who knows what happened.
  • Options
    I've been picking away at the 10's and have quite a few. It is taking a bit more cash than I thought it would. Seems to be a lot of crazy Ripken PSA collectors out there. I figured I'll keep buying until I get around 200 of them, then set up a registry and go from there.
    AL
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
    Are you going after Master Set cards or Basic Set cards?

Yes, there are several serious collectors on ebay. call1dino has been VERY aggressive lately. His bidding has been making me spend way more than I want to. I might have to take a break from ebay and concentrate more on subbing my own. Meh, who am I kidding, lol.
  • Options
    I just changed the score on the Basic Set!! WOOHOO!! I finally popped a new Pop 1 PSA 10 in the Basic Set!! This should bring the Current Finest Possible Set Rating up to a full 10.000!!

14 1 16347595 GEM MINT 10 1997 SELECT 71 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    14 2 16347596 MINT 9 1997 SELECT 71 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US

This is the first 10 for this card, and I also landed another 9!! This makes the population (1) 10, and (3) 9s... all subbed by me. Wow... I'm freaking excited about this one! My last PSA 9 sold for $99.99 too. image

Other upgrades for my Basic Set from this sub:

15 1 16347597 MINT 9 1997 ULTRA 11 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (had an 8)
    16 1 16347600 GEM MINT 10 1999 FLEER 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (had a 9)

I'm sure glad I didn't bid aggressively on that 1999 Fleer last night.

Unfortunately this sub yielded more strikeouts than home runs, but here is the part I'm the most disappointed about:

9 1 16347580 NEAR MINT 7 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 2 16347581 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 3 16347582 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 4 16347583 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 5 16347584 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 6 16347585 EXCELLENT 5 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US (excuse me??)
    9 7 16347586 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 8 16347587 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US

All of these came from a vending case I bought from BBCE during that black-friday deal, so it really didn't cost all that much with 10% off and free shipping. SOOOOO pissed though... it's just freaking impossible...

The only other non-Cal that was worth writing home about was this:

3 1 16347574 GEM MINT 10 1997 SELECT 60 DEREK JETER Card US

That should pull some nice coin from the Jeter guys, even though it's a Pop 5. I have no clue why the Ripken is so tough in this set.

Anyway, now for the TWO WEEK wait for my cards to arrive at my doorstep.
  • Options
    Congrats on the 97 Select!
  • Options
    It's next to impossible for me to buy any more PSA 10 Ripkens that I need from ebay. With "c***c (389)" (call1dino) bidding with a vengeance, you better be prepared to spend from $75 to $100 on any PSA 10 that pops up (unless he owns one already). Don't get me wrong, I have been the gracious beneficiary on many of his purchases, but I'm pretty much handcuffed when it comes to buying anything for my own set. I've only purchased one card this month, and that was on January 2nd! Oh well, I guess I can use the extra money I'm saving and submit my own cards.
  • Options
    He is one of the reasons I backed out of the Ripken game for a while. I pushed so hard just to get into the top 5 with my sets that I dug a huge debt hole that I'm trying to climb out of right now. Don't get me wrong I completely expect to jump back in hard and finish at least my PSA 10 Basic set. But for now I'm taking it easy.
  • Options
    Well that was short-lived! It appears that there has been a second 1997 Select to pop up as a PSA 10! This had to have happened in the last day or two, because as of my poppage last Friday there were zero until mine popped. I wonder if that card will show up on the bay. My first PSA 9 sold for $99.99 a few weeks ago, so I'll be curious if the other 10 shows up for sale. Looks like the squeaky wheel got the grease! lol
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Well that was short-lived! It appears that there has been a second 1997 Select to pop up as a PSA 10! This had to have happened in the last day or two, because as of my poppage last Friday there were zero until mine popped. I wonder if that card will show up on the bay. My first PSA 9 sold for $99.99 a few weeks ago, so I'll be curious if the other 10 shows up for sale. Looks like the squeaky wheel got the grease! lol >>

I did not pop the second '97 Select, but I know who's going to own it soon, and I can tell you with nearly 100% confidence that you'll never see that card on Ebay.
  • Options
    Not sure I understand why the 1997 Select is so tough since I see the 1997 Select Artist Proof rather frequently in PSA 10.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure I understand why the 1997 Select is so tough since I see the 1997 Select Artist Proof rather frequently in PSA 10.

By the way, @boopots any chance of getting over your snit and letting me bid in your auctions again or at least responding to my email asking why I've been banned? image

I received a damaged item from you, requested you take it back which you did, and now I'm banned. I don't get it. What did I do? Don't you want to sell to the guy with the #1 Ripken Master Set? I sure would if I were you.

Kevin >>

OK, let's clear the air here. You could have handled this via PM, but if you want to do it like this then I'll play ball.

1) You have never-- not once-- paid for an item you bought from me in any less than 14 days. In fact, I've had to file NPB's on almost all of your purchases from me. That, in my opinion, is straight up rude.

2) You bought a damaged card. This is true. Then you a) filed paypal dispute without first contacting me, which is a little bush league, and then b) insinuated that I knowingly shipped a damaged card, which was flatly untrue and also a little insulting. When I emailed you and asked what was up, you asked for a full refund plus shipping, and ALSO demanded to keep the card. Had I agreed to this it would have made me the only retailer in the history of the free world who accepts refunds and doesn't ask for the damaged merchandise to be returned.

Like many Ebay sellers, I simply put people on the BBL if they show any signs of becoming high maintenance. And you, mon frere, certainly began to fit that profile.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I did not pop the second '97 Select, but I know who's going to own it soon, and I can tell you with nearly 100% confidence that you'll never see that card on Ebay. >>

NYCE!! It would almost HAVE to be "BL" the owner of the #1 Basic Set. Either way, I'm glad to see the population grow. There's something seriously wrong when one has to pay between $25 and $150 for a card that books for $2, simply because the demand severely outweighs the supply.

I also how that once BL's set is 100% tens, that he un-hides it. I would love to see some scans of his set. I don't blame him for having it hidden. I'm starting to believe that I should hide mine, because every time there's a PSA 10 out there that I need, it's starts at $99.99!!
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

It isn't going to be "BL" (a.k.a. me). My money is on MW.

<< <i>I also how that once BL's set is 100% tens, that he un-hides it. I would love to see some scans of his set. I don't blame him for having it hidden. I'm starting to believe that I should hide mine, because every time there's a PSA 10 out there that I need, it's starts at $99.99!! >>

And now you understand why I have my set hidden.
  • Options
    Ahhhh, MW would make sense too... wonderful! I'm not sure if I'm chasing you or running from him! lol

It has been fun trying to get to 100% with all 10s, but it can be pretty frustrating too. How did you acquire your 1985 Topps PSA 10? This card scares me if it were to ever pop up for sale. I've been having fun subbing my own cards, but I would go broke chasing that '85.
  • Options
    Alright here's my take on the situation between Kevin and Guy...

To Kevin:

If you go back to page 3 of this thread you'll see that I once got a damaged card from Guy. Back then I was extremely new to the boards and had no idea who everyone was. I also had no tact with how I handled the situation. I asked for a $10 refund (on a $26 card) to cover the cost of re-holdering, and when I didn't get it instantly threw up a Neg in his feedback. I then saw how I got slammed on the boards and instantly new I had screwed up. I rectified the situation with Guy, mutually withdrew the Negative comment that I left and havn't had a problem since. The fact of the matter is that Guy is one of the biggest producers of Ripken 10's, and you really should be on his good side in order to make your set building quest that much easier. Also because of calling out Guy I had to talk to a couple other people to get off of their BBLs. Regardless Guy is a stand up fella and has a lot of tolerance for issues like this, and is from my experience more than willing to work with you on any situation that may have arisen during your transaction.

To Guy:

I'm sure you probably remember how that transaction went down a little over a year ago with me. I think Kevin is just reacting to the situation in a way that I did. You can't say that he hasn't been a fairly consistant buyer of your cards. I'm sure you could go down the line looking at the pics in his master set and see a couple hundred that were from you. So the question you really need to ask is if you are willing to lose that much business. I'm not saying that you are relient on Kevin's business to succeed, but I also know that getting cards graded just to have them sit in you store isn't profitable at all. You managed to forgive me, so I'm sure you can manage to forgive Kevin also.

To Both:

Slamming each other openly in this thread isn't the way to go. Just look at the animosity that Wilt Chamberlain card has caused around here the last couple weeks. This thread has been a great one for a couple years now and I'd hate to see it get locked down because of a simple disagreement like this. I personally hope that the two of you can work out your differences and move on with your lives. I'm not taking sides here at all so please don't think that I am.
  • Options

<< <i>With "c***c (389)" (call1dino) bidding with a vengeance, you better be prepared to spend from $75 to $100 on any PSA 10 that pops up >>

He bought quite a few of mine when I broke my measly set. He would not be denied on eBay and made me a few good deals off eBay.
  • Options
    Yeah I just stpped out of the way and let him clear a path. Now I'm getting ready to step out of the bushes and start back on my hike along the trail he just made.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kevin do you have a 1998 Collectors Choice You Crash Game Instant Winner card? I just need a picture to
    prove they exist. I have never seen one. The 97 one I have seen as one just went off on Ebay a couple days ago.

Thanks
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>The 97 one I have seen as one just went off on Ebay a couple days ago.
    >>

Wonder who picked that up? image

What's Boopotts ebay ID, I didn't know he sold Ripken stuff... not sure if I've ever purchased from him or not before.
  • Options
    I'll be attacking this one with my entire "allowance" next week... 1988 Topps PSA 10

I know I'll be going up against Mr. Deep Pockets, but that's life I guess. I really need this one, and after subbing 8 of them last month and striking out, it's time to bring out the big guns!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be attacking this one with my entire "allowance" next week... 1988 Topps PSA 10

I know I'll be going up against Mr. Deep Pockets, but that's life I guess. I really need this one, and after subbing 8 of them last month and striking out, it's time to bring out the big guns! >>

Just looked at that one tonight, also saw they had a 1989 PSA 10.
  • Options
    Yep, luckily I already have a 10 in the '89. My heart almost bounced out of my chest when I saw the "1985 Topps" appear, but then I saw it was #704... oh well. One of these days I'll get that in 10. When I bought that 11985 Topps Cello box from BBCE, not only did I not get a Ripken, it was also missing a Pucket, Clemens and McGwire. Probably a picked-through box. Oh well, lesson learned.
  • Options

<< <i>Alright here's my take on the situation between Kevin and Guy...

To Kevin:

If you go back to page 3 of this thread you'll see that I once got a damaged card from Guy. Back then I was extremely new to the boards and had no idea who everyone was. I also had no tact with how I handled the situation. I asked for a $10 refund (on a $26 card) to cover the cost of re-holdering, and when I didn't get it instantly threw up a Neg in his feedback. I then saw how I got slammed on the boards and instantly new I had screwed up. I rectified the situation with Guy, mutually withdrew the Negative comment that I left and havn't had a problem since. The fact of the matter is that Guy is one of the biggest producers of Ripken 10's, and you really should be on his good side in order to make your set building quest that much easier. Also because of calling out Guy I had to talk to a couple other people to get off of their BBLs. Regardless Guy is a stand up fella and has a lot of tolerance for issues like this, and is from my experience more than willing to work with you on any situation that may have arisen during your transaction.

To Guy:

I'm sure you probably remember how that transaction went down a little over a year ago with me. I think Kevin is just reacting to the situation in a way that I did. You can't say that he hasn't been a fairly consistant buyer of your cards. I'm sure you could go down the line looking at the pics in his master set and see a couple hundred that were from you. So the question you really need to ask is if you are willing to lose that much business. I'm not saying that you are relient on Kevin's business to succeed, but I also know that getting cards graded just to have them sit in you store isn't profitable at all. You managed to forgive me, so I'm sure you can manage to forgive Kevin also.

To Both:

Slamming each other openly in this thread isn't the way to go. Just look at the animosity that Wilt Chamberlain card has caused around here the last couple weeks. This thread has been a great one for a couple years now and I'd hate to see it get locked down because of a simple disagreement like this. I personally hope that the two of you can work out your differences and move on with your lives. I'm not taking sides here at all so please don't think that I am. >>

FWIW, Adam and I have had any number of exceptionally smooth transactions after we hashed out our differences regarding the (I think) '97 Fleer Ripken that he received in a damaged holder. I've had two holders damaged in transit in the last two years, despite the fact that I've sold over 7000 PSA cards in that time- one went to Adam, and one went to Kevin. Go figure. In any event, if anyone has Adam on their BBL I'd recommend that you remove him from that list- he's a very easy guy to work with.

Kevin and I have since exchanged a couple of exceedingly civil PM's, and I'm happy to say that the avenues are open for us to conduct business again in the future.

To Tunahead- my ebay handle is ypsi72. I've brought quite a few Ripken PSA 10's to market over the past year, and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to bring more going forward.

Best,
    Guy

Edit to add: If anyone ever has a problem with a card I sell them-- be it a damaged holder, or they just feel like the card was overgraded-- I will happily refund them 100% of the purchase price plus shipping so long as they email me re: the issue, or PM me here on the boards, and I will also leave + feedback. That's how I roll. It's only when Ebay or Paypal are brought into the mix before I have a chance to make things good that I get upset.

• Options

<< <i>

To Tunahead- my ebay handle is ypsi72. I've brought quite a few Ripken PSA 10's to market over the past year, and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to bring more going forward.

>>

Ah yes, I know I've tracked many of your auctions (lots of good and unique stuff). Can't recall if I've purchased any from you, but I haven't bought a lot in the last several months.

Glad you and Kevin could work things out.
  • Options
    I'm so happy that this conflict ended reasonably where so many on these boards haven't lately. I'm glad to see that people can still be rational and put their differences aside.

Adam
  • Options
    Hey Tuna. I just learned that PSA is now grading the 84 Nestle's! Have you subbed yours yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Tuna. I just learned that PSA is now grading the 84 Nestle's! Have you subbed yours yet? >>

I've got a PSA 9 of the regular card. I've also got 2 BGS 9.5's of the regular card that I may crack 1 or both to submit to PSA. I've also got about 3 each of the Team Leader and All-Star in Raw, that I may submit someday.

Edited to add: I also have a random 3rd party grader "10" of the regular card.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the 98 Crash the game instant winner card?
    Tuna did you get the 97 yet? Absolute steal at that price probably his toughest non numbered card out there?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone have the 98 Crash the game instant winner card?
    Tuna did you get the 97 yet? Absolute steal at that price probably his toughest non numbered card out there? >>

Haven't gotten it yet, hoping early next week. I'd say it's definitely one of his tougher non-numbered cards... that's the first one I've seen. I wish I could find the number of cases produced for both years to try and calculate the odds and figure out a rough number of how man were produced. The 98 made it into my top 10 want list now image
  • Options
    Untill I see one I am going to say that the 98's do not exist. I am sure someone somewhere would
    have one of any player and ever person I have asked doesn't have it. juangone.com
    doesn't have it then I am thinking it doesn't exist?
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Untill I see one I am going to say that the 98's do not exist. I am sure someone somewhere would
    have one of any player and ever person I have asked doesn't have it. juangone.com
    doesn't have it then I am thinking it doesn't exist? >>

It does seem odd that between this board and FCB no one would have one to show...
  • Options
    1400! image