Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    One of the Puckett's has an outside shot at a 10.
  • Options
    I wonder if Michael Wynne will unlock his set and post some pics now that it is complete?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I had thought about mentioning that... I hope he does! Even it there's no mystery about what grades he has, it would still be cool to see it.
  • Options
    I'd like to throw a comment on it.
  • Options
    Did I miss something?

I thought 98 was supposed to be one of the tougher years...

$24.00 ???
  • Options
    Yeah, when I saw that pop up I almost used the BIN on general principal! Oh well... should make for a nice flip profit.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    Back to the 85 Topps . I think everyone has that print line on his thigh. Its like the circle on Gwynns nose
    on the 83 Donruss.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we have over 100 PSA Cal Ripken Jr cards up for auction on our OCSI account and they are all starting at 99 cents

OCSI Cal Ripkens starting at .99 cents
    psa-set-guy eBay store

Orange County Sports Inv.
    psasetguy@yahoo.com
    (714) 373-9800
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Finally got this:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we have over 100 PSA Cal Ripken Jr cards up for auction on our OCSI account and they are all starting at 99 cents

OCSI Cal Ripkens starting at .99 cents >>

I was so mad when I did my normal Griffey daily search and found a million cards ugh .
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Finally got this:

imageimage >>

Wow I double dog dare anyone to find another one and triple dog dare anyone to find a 98 one.
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>

Wow I double dog dare anyone to find another one and triple dog dare anyone to find a 98 one. >>

If they exist I will find one this year image That's my mission
  • Options
    How hard to get are these cards? I mean obviously they're tough, but I wonder what the odds are.
  • Options
    Supposedly they were 1:721 packs and factor in that some were most likely redeemed for the full set
  • Options
    Jeff
    Don is right 1 in 721 which is a case plus one pack so there is a chance of 2 per case but also a chance at none.
    I have owned 2 Frank Thomas and seen a Griffey, , Mcgwire and now the Ripken. I have never seen a 98 one
    I have heard a couple times that they exist but until I see a photo they dont in my mind.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    So BBCE has a 1997 Series 1 case that has 20 boxes, but the Series 2 case has 12 boxes. Both of his 1998 cases have 12 boxes also. What up wit dat?
  • Options
    Wonder what all is in here
  • Options
    Good lord WTF is that?? If I wasn't paying for my wife's huge 30th birthday party next week, I would put at strong bid on that one. The username is familiar too. Wonder why he's selling. Anyone know who that is?
  • Options
    He had a bunch of tough inserts for sale this week too. Not sure what his real name is though. I was thinking of putting a bid in too... but I'm going to be responsible and save my tax return image
  • Options
    I've been looking at that lot for quite a while now. The 66 Rico P I won the other night took a huge chunk out of my card fund, so until I replenish it I'm gonna have to pass.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Any of you Ripken regulars send in '85 Topps for the Feb special?
  • Options
    Nope, unfortunately I don't have anything raw that will measure up.
  • Options

<< <i>So BBCE has a 1997 Series 1 case that has 20 boxes, but the Series 2 case has 12 boxes. Both of his 1998 cases have 12 boxes also. What up wit dat? >>

I forgot about that. The 98 are 12 box cases and the Crash/Game cards are only in series 2 I think.
    I have thought long about buying 2 cases of 98's but I could get a couple or nothing because the 1 in 721
    applies here also.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Or you could strike gold...
  • Options
    It does appear that the Crash the Game is only in Series 2, according to the front of the box:

• Options

<< <i>Or you could strike gold... >>

Yeah right me? Not likely image
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Okay, I call BS... this pretty much drives it home as to why collectors choose to hide their sets on the Registry.

So I need a 1990 Score in PSA 10. It's not a low pop by any stretch (Pop 13), and it's not a very valuable card. Not on the top of my priority list BY FAR. Our friends at 4SC just listed a PSA 10 for a starting bid of $100.00!! Now if this isn't a prime example of gouging people from the Registry, then I don't know what is. I like the folks at 4SC, but this is a little crazy. Granted, we bring it on ourselves by desperation-bidding on 10s, but come on man. PASS!
  • Options
    Does it hold a higher weight in the set?
  • Options
    Nope... 1.00
  • Options
    After seeing that 77 Fidyrch reserve I agree with you the gouging but
    in their defense they spend a ton of money submitting, listing fees, paypal fees and
    yes shipping.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I agree that they spend a TON on subbing and searching raw cards, but to start this at $100 and the rest at $9.99, it's a little obvious. It's not like I'm going to stop buying from them, but I'm just not going to go after that card.
  • Options
    They always overprice alot of their Cowboy stuff too, just wait them out and their prices will drop. Usually by a $25 clip
    Collector of anything and everything of the Dallas Cowboys
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if they price it at $100 though... no one will buy it and they will just keep dropping it by $10-20 a week until someone does buy it image

This is why I stopped playing the registry game though!
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    Finally after years of thinking about it,,,,,,,, sent one in on my Collector Club freebies,,,
    Overall pleased,,,,,this a good guide for the future as the rest I own I "believe" are in better shape,,,, we will see of course image

Sorry about the Sutton I tend to scan two at a time,,,,,, Sutton made me happy also,,,,,,,

• Options
    That Desert Shield that was up just went for $280.

I think I bought mine for a little over $200.
  • Options
    I had that in my watch list... some day I'll own one.
  • Options
    So I contacted Michael Wynne the other day:

To: korpusik3664@yahoo.com
    Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 7:50:23 PM
    Subject: RE: Michael Wynne - Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Set

I do plan to unlock it this weekend.

Thanks,

Mike

> From: korpusik3664@yahoo.com
    > To: wynnefamily999@msn.com
    > Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:48:06 -0800
    > Subject: Michael Wynne - Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Set
    >
    > Now that you are 100% complete on your basic set you should unlock it so that we can all comment on it. Maybe even post some scans...
    >
    > -Adam (Owner of K's Collection)

Needless to say I can't wait to see scans of his set
  • Options
    i think the desert card went for to much .i have a 9 and only paid 30 for it
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So I contacted Michael Wynne the other day:

To: korpusik3664@yahoo.com
    Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 7:50:23 PM
    Subject: RE: Michael Wynne - Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Set

I do plan to unlock it this weekend.

Thanks,

Mike

> From: korpusik3664@yahoo.com
    > To: wynnefamily999@msn.com
    > Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:48:06 -0800
    > Subject: Michael Wynne - Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Set
    >
    > Now that you are 100% complete on your basic set you should unlock it so that we can all comment on it. Maybe even post some scans...
    >
    > -Adam (Owner of K's Collection)

Needless to say I can't wait to see scans of his set >>

Mike unlocked his set. I think it is awesome what he has accomplished. I know he has worked hard on it. Hopefully the set gets some type of recognition from PSA this year.
  • Options
    I just popped a 95 PSA 10 from the group sub. I definitely subbed 3 10's but well... you can read the group sub poppage thread and see the misery for yourself. But F*** it. At least there's $100 that can stay in my pocket and/or be used for other things.
  • Options
    Way to go man!! And way to pass 1000 posts too! image
  • Options
    Just thought I'd stop in to bump this thread like I bumped all my sets last night.
  • Options
    Jeff,

I saw that you just picked up 4 85 Topps vending boxes from the group sub.

You definitely need to share the findings!

Adam
  • Options
    Hell yes! I'm all over it man. this was just my "taste" to see how it goes. Knowing my luck I'll pull one OC Ripken. I'm just hoping to cover my losses with a couple decent McGwire/Clemens/Puckett cards. I'm subbing a large order right after this rip, so I'm hoping to make a small dent in my Basic Set. Once the group ripping starts, I'll reiterate the importance of some more PSA 10 Ripken cards, and encourage people to sub them. Need to increase that POP!

Speaking of POP, did you see that 2001 Topps #1 PSA 10 show up on ebay? It ends in 5 days and it's at $19.99. I think call1dino has a bid on it at the moment. He needs a 10.

Speaking of call1dino, he passed Kevin in the Basic Set, putting him in 4th. I'm starting to feel a little pressure here! I better get a move on. Between my wife's 30th Birthday party, and truck repairs, I dropped about $1600 the first week of March, so I'm just now getting back to normal financially. That, and nothing I need has been on ebay besides the (still) overpriced 1990 Score. Talk about slow moving on this set! Every day I gain more and more respect for Wynne and BL for their insane sets. Oh well... image
  • Options
    I was planning on taking a shot at the 01 Topps. I have it on my watchlist anyway. Right now I'm building a brick patio for my backyard. I'm already commited $400 and still need to rent an electric tamper and buy all the pavers! So needless to say I probably won't be winning it. image
  • Options
    But at least I got my 95!
  • Options
    BTW the 90 Score is a pretty tough issue. I bought 4 boxes and pulled 3 Ripkens. Two were crap and one was decent so I subbed it...

Now I have a PSA 8 1990 Score Ripken sitting on a shelf in my "card room" collecting dust. Oh well.
  • Options
    I have a ton of them in my raw boxes that I haven't even given a chance yet, so 4SC's will have to start at around $20 before I'll consider it. Maybe I'll throw some in my sub next week and see what happens.
  • Options
    On the subject of '85s, I bought a rack box to fill up Mariners team set stuff, and had to Ripkens in the box- to my eye they look ok, but I'm sending them in on the March special. I sent a couple '88s in that I also had from a rack box (for Mariners stuff as well) and I got a couple 9s I believe. If you guys need it for your basic set, let me know.....
  • Options
    I would submit any Ryans that have a chance at a 10 and I think the Rose RB will
    do pretty well in a 10 also. I am sure there are others but those 2 from what I remember
    were tough.
    Collector Focus