Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• mariotownmariotown Posts: 509 ✭✭
    No problems at all. It is actually pretty easy to tell the difference when you have both types together. I sent both Glossy and Non-Glossy versions in the same order to have graded and they labeled them correctly too. Perhaps because I had both they could tell the difference.

Kevin
    I collect PSA cards of the following:
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Jr. 1980-2002
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>@jeffcbay: Huh? News to me. My collection is staying right where it is with many updates to come!

Bill Cosby was rumored to be dead and now my collection? Oh, what a world!

Kevin >>

That's what I figured... maybe it's someone CLAIMING to have the #1 set. I'll find out tomorrow. image
    Cal and I at The National this weekend... image

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Pretty cool...are you two related? image

I really enjoy these registry player set threads. Wish there were more collecting the players I collect...but I guess that has a negative effect as well.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome Jeff! I'm totally jealous!
    Yeah, it was an awesome experience! There was zero extra time to talk or anything, but shaking his hand (once after he signed, and once for the photo), and telling him "Thank you, Mr. Ripken" was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. My next objective is to have this photo signed! image
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My next objective is to have this photo signed! image >>

That's always a cool idea.
    This is what I had Cal sign at the show. My wife bought me this a couple years ago, so I figured it would be cool to get signed. It's numbered 126/888, and now it's signed! image

• Awhile back I posted up an extremely unique card - a 1992 Cal Ripken Aces Playing Card, Autographed. At the time, there were no other known examples. I got a myriad of offers -- on here and otherwise -- for the card, ranging from $85.00 to over $3000. I was all ready to sell it at 3K when the grading didn't come back the 9.0 I needed to lock into that offer. A great PC card, and obviously extremely rare, it didn't bother me too much:

Cal Ripken Jr Baseball Aces Autographed Insert -- Click for Picture of Graded Card

All that said, I've been working with a high-profile collector the past several months regarding the sale of this card: he actually hired someone to do research on it. I wanted to update everyone on what the result was:

His research has shown that it is indeed the only known instance from this set; in fact, it's actually possible that only one or two of these cards were signed. No definitive answer on this has been found; however, as a playing card company, their budget was greatly limited.

We've settled on a purchase price of $6,500.00 with the following stipulations:

(1) If, at any time in the next THREE years another certified/authentic instance of this card is found, I'll refund to him $4,500.00 of the purchase price ($2,000 K NET to me).

(2) At any time during the next THREE years I have the right to re-purchase the card from him for $10,000.00

There was also some research done as to if this could be his first certified signing with any baseball set; though the Donruss Elite was done in 1992, it would seem that this was signed earlier. Again, no definitive answer, but the collector felt his research proved there was a decent chance of this -- over 50% is what he disclosed to me. He told me that eventually he plans on reaching out to Mr. Ripken and seeing if he remembers signing the card -- and if so, how many. Although the odds of that are slim, if it was indeed his first signing, not to mention the fact that it's a playing card, he may remember. That's the primary reason for my 10K repurchase provision.

I just wanted to let everyone know how this turned out, as I know there were a lot of people tracking it!

WOW!!! That's a lot... is there any stamp or mark on the card indicating it wasn't just signed in person at a later date? I know if you get one signed today that it would look different, since Ripken's auto has changed over the years. I've seen other signed cards from this set (on ebay) and could never tell the difference from a regular signed card.
  • There's a key way to tell if it's real, and i would have never figured it out unless I was told by the collector.

It has to do with the ink during the production process, and if you hold the card a certain way you can instantly tell: the card was signed before the gloss coating was applied.

I'd like to see someone fake that!
    Really?? That's weird...

• << <i>Really?? That's weird... >>

These were playing cards remember. Next time your in the CVS or Walgreens spend a few bucks and pick up a pack of Bicycle playing cards. They need to be coated to be durable during play.

I would have never figured that out!
    I play poker just about every weekend, so I know what you're talking about. I'm still surprised that they would have him sign it before putting that coating on it. Pretty neat!

• << <i>I play poker just about every weekend, so I know what you're talking about. I'm still surprised that they would have him sign it before putting that coating on it. Pretty neat! >>

I imagine it either had to do with smudging on the cards after the coating was on, or some silly production issue -- i.e., Cal could only sign them now, and they could only get them coated at this time.

I've had ruth cuts and Gehrig cuts and premium logomans and this is still the most unique card i've ever owned.
    Wow, $6,500 seems pretty insane for this card! To each his own though! image
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    If anyone has an extra 83, 84 or 86 Topps PSA 10 they would be willing to sell me, please PM me. Thanks
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you Ripken fans, and no one wished him a happy 50th birthday yet? For shame.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You can't make that chit up.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Is there really such a thing as a, "Happy 50th birthday,"

It's like celebrating that the rest of your life is going to be on a downhill...

Just saying. I'd rather say a prayer for him.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there really such a thing as a, "Happy 50th birthday,"

It's like celebrating that the rest of your life is going to be on a downhill...

Just saying. I'd rather say a prayer for him. >>

Turning 50 for me and you, and turning 50 for a multi millionaire are two different things.
    Good Point
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    What kind of value do the early to mid 90's Ripken SLU cards have in PSA 9 or PSA 10 condition?
    Thanks!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • anybody know why the cal master set went down in numbers?
  • I know why the Master set went down in numbers. I requested several ineligible or duplicate entries be removed. There were several "phantom" or mislabeled cards in the set as well as ineligible 1/1 cards. I went through the set and figured out all the errors and asked customer service to remove them.

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
  • thanks for the info.
  • mariotownmariotown Posts: 509 ✭✭
    #2 Ripken Master Set for sale...

Link
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    wow...
    Wish I could afford that!! That's kingrang on eBay btw...
    I was actually toying with the idea of selling off my Ripkens in support of my upcoming wedding, but with Kingrang out of the way maybe I'll hang on a bit longer and see if I can't inch closer to finishing my Basic set.
  • Here is a showcase of Oversize, Thick, and 5x7 Ripken cards that I recently got some subs back for:

Oversize, Thick, and 5x7 Showcase
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    Wow... some amazing stuff in there Kevin!!! I think I'm most impressed with the 89 Tetley panel. Love the discs too!!
  • I bought the Tetley panel at a card show nearly 20 years ago for $5. The guy had a huge stack of them. All of them were never folded.

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies

<< <i>I bought the Tetley panel at a card show nearly 20 years ago for $5. The guy had a huge stack of them. All of them were never folded.

Kevin >>

I need to find that guy!!
    WOW is right...
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Kevin how do / did they determine that the 93 King B was a proof and not cut from the poster?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • I don't think it is a proof and that it is cut from the poster. Not sure why they labeled it that way. There is also a perforated version as a square where the disc can be popped out. I'm curious if they will also label that as a proof when I send it in. Not sure why that was listed as optional either when the 1985 Fun Foods Proof is a required part of the Master Set.

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    Interesting as I have all the Griffeys in that form. I also have the 93 perforated one. Is that the only
    year you have of that version?
    Collector Focus

• The 93 King-B is the only perforated version I have and the only one I've seen. Any idea why they issued them like that and where they came from?

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    Completly guessing but I imagine those were sheets that were from the King B plant and some made it out the back door?
    The others are easier because they were posters and available to the public.
    Collector Focus

Not much gong on in the world of Ripken collectors anymore...
    I had to slow down for a while so I could buy my truck, but I've always been watching the bay and have been slowly putting together another Ripken sub. I would love to jump on a couple of the 10s on the bay right now, but it seems like some sellers are patterning/pricing their Ripken 10s according to my Set Registry, so I can't afford to.

I'm still lingering and waiting for the right opportunity to snag the right deals.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would love to jump on a couple of the 10s on the bay right now, but it seems like some sellers are patterning/pricing their Ripken 10s according to my Set Registry, so I can't afford to. >>

That really blows. I've never had anything like that affect anything I was collecting, but I know it happens and I would find it completely infuriating if it ever did.
    The main thing that stops me from being mad about it is, I really like the seller(s) guilty of "price gouging", if you want to call it that. I can't blame them, and I can't say I never did it to other player set collectors. I just have to be patient until the price goes down, or someone rightfully buys it. At least I know now why people hide their sets.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm going to assume that the cards in question are the mid-90's Ultra cards that I recently listed. If I'm wrong, then I apologize for butting in. If I'm right, then let me say the following:

1) I don't think I have ever sold a card to Jeff, and I'm nearly 100% certain that I've never sold him a high-priced card. With this in mind, what in the world would possess me to try to 'gouge' him? So far as I can tell there's no evidence whatsoever that suggests Jeff would pay $100 for something like a '95 Ultra in PSA 10. It would be like me trying to 'gouge' Greg by putting up Chipper PSA 10's for $40 a piece. I'm almost sure he's never going to pay that much, so what would be the point?

2) If I am, in fact, trying to 'gouge' somebody, then that should mean that the pricing strategy I use on the cards that person needs is inconsistent with the pricing strategy I use on the rest of my cards. All you need to do is look through my store and see that I this is not the case. It's not like I'm selling everything at $6, and only these two Ripken cards are priced at $100. I have Jeter XRCs priced at 3x SMR, Ripken Master pop 1's at $70, and so forth. To say that I'm trying to gouge someone because the cards I have that they need are priced too high would be like saying Levi is trying to gouge a particular collector who's looking to buy a '52 Mantle. If the prices are consistent with other cards the seller has listed then it's not gouging- it's just a pricing strategy that you may not agree with.

<< <i>The main thing that stops me from being mad about it is, I really like the seller(s) guilty of "price gouging", if you want to call it that. I can't blame them, and I can't say I never did it to other player set collectors. I just have to be patient until the price goes down, or someone rightfully buys it. At least I know now why people hide their sets. >>

I quoted my last post, in case you missed it. I didn't call you out as one of the sellers, and I didn't defame you in any way. In fact, I said that I can't blame the sellers for doing this, since I have done it myself on low pop basic set cards (Pop 5 is not what I would consider to be "low pop" for a mid-90s base card). I do like you as a seller, and even though I've only bought seven cards from you in the past, I consider you one of my favorite sellers to buy Ripken cards from. Sure I won't spend $100 on a 90s Ultra base card, but only because I've learned my lesson by over-spending on "low pop" cards, only to watch their value drop considerably after I buy them or the pop increases. I know I used the term "price gouging", but I also said "if you want to call it that". I used that, for lack of a better term. What do you call the act of pricing something higher due to it's lack of availability?

Anyway, I'm sorry to offend. I consider you a valued seller and member of this forum. It's my loss if someone does buy the higher-priced cards that I need. It's up to me to be patient and smarter with my money. Now that the "race to the top" is over, I'm more focused on subbing my own Ripken cards for my set. If you want me to delete my earlier kvetching posts, I will.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Hi Jeff,

No offense taken. My reason for posting wasn't to take umbrage-- it was only to explain that I don't look at your set before I price my cards, and that I'm not trying to bait you-- or anyone else-- into paying more than they would feel comfortable paying for a card.
  • didn't know if you guys saw the PSA 10s that were consigned to our auction this month but I think there are some pretty good ones. Really just an FYI that some are in auctions, not only "the Bay"
    thanks,
    Josh Wulkan

<a title="Sports Auction selling Baseball Cards, Football Cards, Graded Cards, Signed Autographed Vintage Sports, Boxing Memorabilia and Topps - Buy Online" href="http://www.hugginsandscott.com" target="_blank">www.hugginsandscott.com