Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice this article about Ripken on PSA's website? It's linked at the top of all Ripken Sets in the registry. It was posted on November 26, 2010. Pretty cool read.

I also didn't realize the Sports Market Report had an article about "Collecting Ripken" back in the January 2007 issue (Montana cover). I wish I would have taken a look at that before I sold it.
  • Options
    That print dot seems to be on all of the non-stripe Topps versions. I'll take it! image
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I requested PSA remove a bunch of duplicated cards and cards with incorrect labels (mechanical errors) from the Ripken Master Set list. That is why the number when down, if anyone was wondering.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So I found this auction interesting. Mostly because of what it states on the box. "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box"

I had never seen one of the black box Glossy sets that were listed this way on the box... knowing I had a opened set lying around somewhere I dug the box out. It read more the way I remembered it "2 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box". But interestingly enough, this is printed on a black sticker that is stuck onto the box below where "17 - Final Season" is printed on the box. So curiosity got the better of me and I peeled the sticker off... "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box" is what it said underneath.

So what is the deal with this, did Fleer at one time plan on inserting 3 memorabilia cards and the auto card and then later change their minds? Anyone know the story?

image >>

Wow, that is strange. I only own three of the "orange box" sets of these. I'm assuming THIS is the signed card that comes in this box. Since it's numbered to 82, then I'm left to assume the rest only came with the GU cards. I don't know, I'm confused... lol >>

Jeff, that is not the auto'd card that came in those box sets. That card was done by Goldin I believe. The card that did come in the box set is the one on the top left.
    Thanks AL
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
    So I wonder where the other one came from. Could it be just someone's project or promotion? Maybe they took 82 of these and had them signed and numbered for some reason? Where else might have they been inserted?

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I was looking at '82 Topps PSA history on the bay, and noticed this slip by...someone got royally, well...ya know
  • Options
    I think his listing scared off many bidders, with that PSA 10 ? , and the very tiny scan. I was very skeptical myself.

Paul
  • Options
    Since it's not in a PSA slab at all, I hope it scared off many bidders....I feel bad for the person that paid what they did.
  • Options
    Yeah that's about twice what a PSA 9 sells for. Someone will be pissed, or is really that oblivious. The sad part is, the seller is pretty much covered because they included that little question mark in the title. I hate crooks...
  • Options

<< <i>So I wonder where the other one came from. Could it be just someone's project or promotion? Maybe they took 82 of these and had them signed and numbered for some reason? Where else might have they been inserted?

image >>

Those were done by Goldin Sports, just some reg cards auto'd by Cal.
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Jeff, that is not the auto'd card that came in those box sets. That card was done by Goldin I believe. The card that did come in the box set is the one on the top left.
    Thanks AL
    image >>

Is the one that came in the box set numbered at all? Do you by chance have a bigger scan of that one as well as the back? Thanks!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    SPAM: I've listed an 82 all-star program insert PSA 9 if interested (auctions in my sig line). Sorry for not offering here before eBay.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Hey I have one of the three PSA 9s of that card (none higher). Good luck with the sale, I'll be watching! image
  • Options
    Wow... only $15.50?? That's not good.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow... only $15.50?? That's not good. >>

I forgot to put a snipe in image
  • Options
    I got mine for $28.00 back on June 8, 2009. I think it was a Pop 2 at the time. Wow.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the POP is now. I normally check on some of the odd ones. I'll try to shoot for another 9.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    It's a Pop 3 now.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure what the POP is now. I normally check on some of the odd ones. I'll try to shoot for another 9. >>

If you get another 9 I'll give you $25 for it image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    Any chance that the King Bee squares can be graded as hand cut like the AS program cards?
    Lets be real they are not proofs and just cut from the poster like these are cut from a book.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Hey Ripken dudes! I've been speaking with Jeff, and he recommended that I post here about a unique Ripken item that I've come across. It's the "Hands of Gold" plaque pictured here:
    I found it still in its original shipping box, but I've had a heck of a time trying to figure out what it's actually worth, let alone what was originally paid for it. I've attempted to sell it on eBay with a starting bid of $300, but had no takers. It comes with a COA and a photograph of Ripken placing his hands in the mold, and it is numbered out of 2131. One negative... there are 2 small chips in the right side of the wood panel, looks to be inflicted during shipping. Could probably be fixed or colored in. Anyone seen this before? Anyone interested? PM me please. Thanks!
    A SWING AND A DRIVE!

For Sale on eBay
  • Options
    Is the COA for the autograph on the photo? I know the gold auto is engraved, but I can't tell if the auto on the photo is a facsimile. I think it's a great looking piece!
  • Options
    I also have that Hands of Gold item. $300 seems fair given what I remember it costing me. However, actually getting that is probably unlikely.

Kevin
  • Options
    Those gold hands are cool. Probably looking at 100-150 for that item on the top end.
    Just saw a 1984 Topps stickers box hand cut Gem 10 on ebay. Over 80 with an hour to go.
    Hand cut sticker
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-Topps-Stickers-Boxes-Cal-Ripken-PSA-10-POP-1-TOUGH-/360369399253?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item53e7b0a5d5
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options

<< <i>Those gold hands are cool. Probably looking at 100-150 for that item on the top end.
    Just saw a 1984 Topps stickers box hand cut Gem 10 on ebay. Over 80 with an hour to go.
    Hand cut sticker
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-Topps-Stickers-Boxes-Cal-Ripken-PSA-10-POP-1-TOUGH-/360369399253?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item53e7b0a5d5 >>

Really wanted to win that... but sadly, not in the budget right now image
  • Options
    Do any of you guys have this 2007 Ripken Set I am curious to see a copy of the card with him and Griffey Jr?
    Thanks
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I do have the set, but I left it sealed.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do any of you guys have this 2007 Ripken Set I am curious to see a copy of the card with him and Griffey Jr?
    Thanks >>

Card 45 in the set does NOT picture Griffey (depicts Cal in a batting stance) although it does depict a quote from Griffey about Cal with a facsimile signature

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>If you get another 9 I'll give you $25 for it >>

Bummer....pulled an 8. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Bought 5 packs of '82 Donruss yesterday at my neighborhood card shop from a pretty full wax box (I know what you are saying, yeah right from the neighborhood dealer). The packs contained nothing special, so I told my 12 year old son to pick 2 more packs and he could open one and I opened the other. What do you know, this was in my pack.

Corrners look perfect to me, centering looks a little off. What are thoughts about a 9 NQ if I send it in?
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    Centering looks a little tough for a straight 9. However, I've seen worse centered 9s.

Great story on the pack.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    PSA now authenticates 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue. It took a bit of persuading, but I got them to do it. I have the 2 different Ripken 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the Ripken 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue on the way back from them. Will post pics when I get them.

N0: AUTHENTIC 1982 FLEER TEST CARDS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1982 FLEER TEST CARDS DAVE FORD (CAL RIPKEN JR.)
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1990 DONRUSS BLUE/WHITE TEST ISSUE CAL RIPKEN JR./JOSE DeLEON

Kevin
  • Options
    Nice!!
  • Options

<< <i>PSA now authenticates 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue. It took a bit of persuading, but I got them to do it. I have the 2 different Ripken 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the Ripken 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue on the way back from them. Will post pics when I get them.

N0: AUTHENTIC 1982 FLEER TEST CARDS CAL RIPKEN JR.
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1982 FLEER TEST CARDS DAVE FORD (CAL RIPKEN JR.)
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1990 DONRUSS BLUE/WHITE TEST ISSUE CAL RIPKEN JR./JOSE DeLEON

Kevin >>

Still no grades though eh?
  • Options
    Nope. They won't grade them. But going from SGC Authentic on the 1982 Fleer Test Cards to PSA Authentic seems like an upgrade to me.

Kevin
  • Options
    I still need to get around to sending my test cards in... just too busy lately
  • Options
    I got the 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue back in the mail today.

Here is a link to a showcase with the pics of the cards:
    Cal Ripken, Jr. PSA Test Cards
  • Options

<< <i>I got the 1982 Fleer Test Cards and the 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test Issue back in the mail today.

Here is a link to a showcase with the pics of the cards:
    Cal Ripken, Jr. PSA Test Cards >>

Wow... nice stuff as always... though I'm most impressed with the 1997 Pinnacle Mint 24k coin!!
  • Options
    Nice collection! I too like that coin which I have no idea why because I don't normally like that kind of stuff

but it looks really nice in the PCCG holder and its solid gold makes it really interesting too.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Finally received my printed award for my Basic Ripken Set... now time to get it signed! This was an expensive piece of paper, and it's about to get a little more expensive. lol

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Well deserved Brother!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Scan it and show it to us when you get it back.
  • Options
    Do those award certificates have to be requested these days?
  • Options

<< <i>Do those award certificates have to be requested these days? >>

Yes.
  • Options
    Pretty weak centering for a PSA 10:

1982 Fleer Cal Ripken, Jr. PSA 10
  • Options
    Wow you're not kidding, that one looks like the one I just submitted, and I'm HOPING for at least a 9! Recently pulled it from a pack. I'm still hunting for a 10 at a decent price.
  • Options
    id want to see that slab in-hand.

its an older slab (Gem Mint and 10 on the same line)

card SEEMS to be "to the left" in the slab in that scan.

card may also have a bit of a "curve" that is making it appear more L/R OC then it really is
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    The card does appear to be shifted to the left in the slab, but if you look at the top and bottom of the card, it's got about a 40/60 L/R centering. That card it usually scrutinized pretty heavily, so I'm surprised to see it in a 10 holder.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion older slabs often have more leniency on centering.
    If that card was subbed now it's a 9.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Listed a bunch of Ripken stuff on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. PM me with any interest.

Link