Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    As a matter of fact, I did get an email from VCP about the 1985 Topps #30 PSA 10 that you have up for auction right now. I'm watching it, but don't really have the intent to buy it right now... unless it looks like it will sell for considerably less than the last one sold for.

There are several very nice items up for auction on H&S right now, it's worth taking a look at! Sorry for getting drool all over the GU bat. image
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Ok if they exist without the line on the thigh then PSA needs to review the way they grade this particular issue?
    To me that is a fun printing defect thus preventing it ever to be a 10. I have never seen one without it but I think
    a few pages back it was discussed in a couple posts... Can't remember if there is one without it.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    I had one without the line, and was dead centered, but it received an 8. It was my first and only version without the line.
    If thats the case then this card should not be a 10 and pulled.
    Collector Focus

WOW! The population just jumped on the 1985 Topps #30 PSA 10, from Pop 9 to Pop 15!! I swear it was only Pop 9 two days ago when we were talking about it! That should effect that price very soon.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    From the Topps Vault I purchased the photo print they used for the 85T card.....

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    See, now that's just cool. image
    Found the source of the new 1985 Topps #30 PSA 10s... ebay seller higbees.com. Great seller by the way, in my opinion. I'm sure most of you have bought from them before.

The following certs are all 1985 Topps #30 PSA 10!

What I want to know, is how in the HELL did they get this extremely tough card to grade a 10 in FIVE CONSECUTIVE cards??

Anyway, this one on ebay has no line, and I'm guessing the rest don't either. Should be interesting!
    So the Huggins & Scott card just sold for $375. This one had the infamous "line" on it. I wonder what this will do to the value of the "lineless" one on ebay.
  • tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So the Huggins & Scott card just sold for $375. This one had the infamous "line" on it. I wonder what this will do to the value of the "lineless" one on ebay. >>

It might only matter if people are buying the card and not the holder image
    True... I'm loving the one on ebay right now. I hope there is more where that came from!
    So it appears that both of the cards "higbees.com" is selling on ebay have a print dot in the black area below the "I" in Orioles. I realize print dots are a lot less distracting than an orange line, but I just noticed it. Can't wait to see where the $299 auction ends up!

imageimage

<< <i>From the Topps Vault I purchased the photo print they used for the 85T card.....

image >>

How did I miss this post? Ironmanfan, you seriously have the most awesome collection! I love seeing the unique items you end up with!

<< <i>Ironmanfan, you seriously have the most awesome collection! >>

+1
  • Just like to say what fantastic collections all the Ripken Registry Collectors have. Great job to everyone. Really does show the passion some people have for the hobby.

I did have a general question regarding the Ripken Master Set. Please forgive me if this a dumb question and has already been explained somewhere else, but why aren't modern Ripken cards (i.e. product after his playing days 2002) included in the Registry Sets? I suppose the obvious answer would be that it would be insurmountable to collect the amount of product produced after he retired, just guessing.

Does anyone have the exact explanation? Just curious.

Thanks and keep on collecting.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a standing PSA policy, for all players.

All in all, it's probably good but I think it would be cool if they allowed for a separate post-career set for anyone who wanted to tackle it. A Retirement Master set, if you will. Has anyone ever raised that idea with PSA? Did it go over like Donruss and Fleer team sets from the '80's?
  • I have created a flickr photo sharing group for Cal Ripken, Jr. card collectors. It can be found here:

Flickr Cal Ripken, Jr. Card Collectors Group

The purpose of this group is to collect all the images of cards featuring Cal Ripken, Jr.

Details are available on the site about how to participate with uploading your images for inclusion in the master collection which can be found here: Cal Ripken, Jr. Card Museum. My goal is to have an image for every card featuring Cal Ripken, Jr. I won't ever have them all so it would be fun to collaborate with fellow collectors to create a comprehensive museum of all our cards as a reference for everyone to use.

It is free to get a flickr account, although there are some restrictions. I have already uploaded my graded card collection and am starting on my raw card collection.

If you would like to participate you can go to the Flickr Cal Ripken, Jr. Card Collectors Group page for details or PM me if you need any help getting started.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    I collect PSA cards of the following:
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Jr. 1980-2002
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    I think this is a great idea! I will work up a game plan to scan my stuff for this weekend. It'll be a great excuse to rescan my cards with my new scanner. I hope I can contribute with my raw collection. Nice work!
  • It took almost a year to scan everything I have in there right now. I will upload a list of all the cards I currently have scanned to Google Docs and will provide a link on the Flickr group page. I am in the process of organizing all my raw cards to pick out the best ones for scanning. Thanks for joining! This should be fun!

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    The card that pops out at me that I think I could contribute is the 1982 All-Star Game Program card. It's a Pop 2 with none higher. I'll scan it within the specs of the site and post it soon. I'm excited to see this thing fill up!

• That's a nice card. I remember what that card was up for auction a while ago. Did you win that one?

I uploaded the excel spreadsheet with all the cards I have already scanned here.

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    Kevin that is a great idea to have all the cards scanned. I would love to do something
    like This Mcgwire site I often use
    it as a reference. Thanks for taking the time to do this because I know I will be looking at it.

John
    Collector Focus

<< <i>That's a nice card. I remember what that card was up for auction a while ago. Did you win that one? >>

I got this for what I think is a steal. Back on June 8, 2009 I got it for only $28.00. Is that the one you saw? I would love to see what the other one sold for.
  • @jeffcbay:
    That is the one I saw. If there is ever a PSA 10 that will probably bring some serious money.

@jackstraw:
    That McGwire list is unbelievable. Over 5,000 cards on it!

Kevin
    Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    Do any of you guys have a 93 UD Triple Crown Ripken 3x5 mead folder?
    93 Mead
    Collector Focus

<< <i>Do any of you guys have a 93 UD Triple Crown Ripken 3x5 mead folder? >>

I don't.
    Once again, swing and a miss on the latest 1985 Topps PSA 10. My max was (gonna be) $288, but my bid wasn't even high enough to register the snipe. Ended at $350... CRAP!!!
    Kevin,

I just added (7) PSA cards to the Flickr Group:

1982 All Star Game Program
    1983 Topps Stickers #315
    1988 Bazooka #17
    1998 Topps Tek #51-13
    1999 UD Ovation #18 (you had the "Standing" Ovation card, but not the base card)
    2001 Topps Chrome #1
    2007 UD Holiday Inn #3

I tried following all of the specs for the group, I hope they work!

I haven't gone through my Basic Set and scanned the ones you're missing yet, but I will soon. Should I also scan any cards that you may already have listed, but in a lower grade? I might have a couple 10s that you have a 9 in.

I'll dig into my raw cards in a few days. *whew* image
  • @jeffcbay

<< <i>Should I also scan any cards that you may already have listed, but in a lower grade? >>

Sure.

If you go to "You" - "Your Account" - "Privacy & Permissions" - "Who can access your original image files?" you can set it to "Anyone" and then I can download the original images.

Thanks for adding cards! This is going to be fun putting this together.

Kevin

Billy Ripken
    Cal Ripken, Sr.
    Hall of Fame Rookies
    I'll try to join up and add some stuff this weekend.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you guys would be interested in these, they are my listings, the description covers it...

Ripken #1

Ripken #2
    Been buying some stuff here and there...

The latest 1985 Topps PSA 10 just sold for $305.00. I had my snipe set at $308.88, but it didn't take because the next increment needed to be $310.00 or higher. Oh well, I would have been outbid anyway.

Wonder if they have another one that they will list as an auction... I've lost count.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Wasn't it 5 consecutive serial #'s they had pop?
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Just received this Ripken back from a resent submission. I didn't think I would ever get an upgrade on this card.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

• << <i>Just received this Ripken back from a resent submission. I didn't think I would ever get an upgrade on this card.

image >>

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    I wonder if PSA would consider slabbing this card? The raised plastic portion with the dirt in it will probably be a problem.

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

• << <i>I wonder if PSA would consider slabbing this card? The raised plastic portion with the dirt in it will probably be a problem.

image >>

i dont see why not. they slab jersey cards. it MAY wind up in a wax pack slab though like this:

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I can consider submitting it.

James

So I found this auction interesting. Mostly because of what it states on the box. "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box"

I had never seen one of the black box Glossy sets that were listed this way on the box... knowing I had a opened set lying around somewhere I dug the box out. It read more the way I remembered it "2 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box". But interestingly enough, this is printed on a black sticker that is stuck onto the box below where "17 - Final Season" is printed on the box. So curiosity got the better of me and I peeled the sticker off... "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box" is what it said underneath.

So what is the deal with this, did Fleer at one time plan on inserting 3 memorabilia cards and the auto card and then later change their minds? Anyone know the story?

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Hey guys,
    Selling a lot of graded Ripken's if anybody needs them- 7 cards, $28 dlvd

PSA 10:
    98 SP Authentic x2
    92 Triple Play #253
    98 Skybox Dugout Access

PSA 9:
    94 Topps #200
    90 Post Cereal

PSA 8:
    92 Red Foley Cover Hand Cut

<< <i>So I found this auction interesting. Mostly because of what it states on the box. "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box"

I had never seen one of the black box Glossy sets that were listed this way on the box... knowing I had a opened set lying around somewhere I dug the box out. It read more the way I remembered it "2 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box". But interestingly enough, this is printed on a black sticker that is stuck onto the box below where "17 - Final Season" is printed on the box. So curiosity got the better of me and I peeled the sticker off... "3 Game-Used Memorabilia Cards Per Box; 1 Autographed Card Per Box" is what it said underneath.

So what is the deal with this, did Fleer at one time plan on inserting 3 memorabilia cards and the auto card and then later change their minds? Anyone know the story?

image >>

Wow, that is strange. I only own three of the "orange box" sets of these. I'm assuming THIS is the signed card that comes in this box. Since it's numbered to 82, then I'm left to assume the rest only came with the GU cards. I don't know, I'm confused... lol
    Holy $611.01, Batman!! WTF?? What's the VCP on this thing lately? I thought it was in the $400-range.
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>Holy $611.01, Batman!! WTF?? What's the VCP on this thing lately? I thought it was in the $400-range. >>

WAAWAAWEEWAA!!!

man, that is CLEAN
    Well I FINALLY picked up the 1985 Topps in PSA 10, and finished my Basic Topps Set!! I also re-scanned all of these cards and posted them in my Set Registry, and created a Photobucket Slideshow. Now it's time to refocus on the Basic Set. One LARGE card down, one more large one and fifteen regular ones to go. It WILL happen one of these days...

• that 85T is simply awe inspiring. had to have been in a rack
    Congratulations on completing the Basic Set image The '85 looks sweeeeeet!

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Awesome to see you got one sans the leg line!
    Yes, I was particularly happy about it not having the line.
  • is this the line you are referring to?

How soon into the pressings did they remove the line?

i see they removed it for the O-Pee-Chee Pressing.