Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely the card was just cut a bit longer than the usual 3 1/2 inches. As for the seller, he a very well known member of these boards.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought from that seller before, he subs some nice cards that I need for my set. I was just mentioning that the seller really knows what he has there, and he just might sell it for that price. I hope not, but he just might.

As for the card, if it was cut longer, then I would hope they wouldn't call it a 10. I've subbed several of these, and never received anything higher than a 9. The corners are particularly tough with these cards, because they're packed with one gold or platinum plastic card with rounded corners (credit card), and normal wear and tear on the pack/box makes the rest of the cards in the pack appear that they have bent corners.
  • Options

<< <i>.....As for the card, if it was cut longer, then I would hope they wouldn't call it a 10............ >>

Why not? I believe that 1984 Donruss cards from factory sets can sometimes be found to be a little short left to right, yet plenty have been awarded PSA 10 grades (when they dont come back minimum size requirement). Being just a touch longer than normal (im talking 1/16 or 1/32) would be no different in my mind.
  • Options
    I suppose it could still be within some sort of size requirement, but to not fit in a standard slab is pretty excessive. Of course, this is assuming that's the reason why PSA put it in that slab in the first place. For all I know it was a simple over-site on PSA's side and put it in the wrong slab.

I understand you're supposed to buy the card and not the slab, but unfortunately the slab is the only thing keeping me from dropping a c-note on this card.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting variation for the completist collectors: 1995 Score Gold Rush Redeemed Punched

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>........unfortunately the slab is the only thing keeping me from dropping a c-note on this card. >>

Speaking of C-Notes, if anyone is interested in this card, a C-Note delivered is my asking price (that exactly what my last one went for).

• Options

<< <i>

Speaking of C-Notes, if anyone is interested in this card, a C-Note delivered is my asking price (that exactly what my last one went for).
    >>

Nice card, but my C-note is reserved for the possibility of getting something shiny and purple.
  • Options
    Well there goes that one, someone bid on the Studio.
  • Options
    I am breaking my miniscule Ripken PSA set. Some are on eBay right now and the rest will be up Monday or Tuesday.
  • Options
    I bought THIS CARD for $6 this past summer. Can anyone tell me why it sold for so much?

EDIT to add, I know I had the title wrong but corrected it when the price was still in the $25 range.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought THIS CARD for $6 this past summer. Can anyone tell me why it sold for so much?

EDIT to add, I know I had the title wrong but corrected it when the price was still in the $25 range. >>

I honestly have no idea. I bought it and the corrected version for $20 a couple years ago from Michael Wynne.
  • Options
    Wow... that's insanity...
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Good for you Bill. Nice return on your 6$.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>I bought THIS CARD for $6 this past summer. Can anyone tell me why it sold for so much?

EDIT to add, I know I had the title wrong but corrected it when the price was still in the $25 range. >>

Looks like Call1dino and Kingrang got into a bidding war... it's the best thing you can hope for when selling a Ripken card image
  • Options
    Well I ended up snagging the 1998 Topps PSA 10 for $102.50, but I missed the 1995 Topps PSA 10 at $124.15. It boggles my mind that these cards still pull so much money with their pops being 15 ('98) and 13 ('95). Oh well... I'm satisfied winning the '98 for $102.50.
  • Options
    I have forced myself to not enter my favorite search (Ripken PSA 10) for over a month now! I am definitely gonna get back into the hunt after the holidays, but for now I am killing myself trying not to take a peek. Hopefully I'll pay down my credit card some and prevent my hobby from drowning me...
  • Options
    You picked a good month to take off, because until this week it has been a very slow month for basic PSA 10s...
  • Options
    Speaking of this week, "BL" has added another card to his set, giving him a 9.94 out of a possible 9.996 GPA... ouch!

Not completely certain, but the only card in the Basic Set that doesn't have a 10 in existence is the 1997 Select, and I own the only PSA 9 (a self-sub). I'm sending in another one tomorrow along with about 40 more Ripkens. Hoping to make another small dent in my set.
  • Options
    I went to a local card show yesterday hunting for Ripkens. I was looking to buy a few auto'd and/or a high quality 82 Traded that I could sub, but couldn't haggle anyone down to a reasonable price. Seems like dealers are definitely feeling the crunch from the economy and are being really stingy. All I ended up with in the end was a box of '09 Sweet Spot, a Pudge Fisk display from the Danburry Mint, a few random Red Sox cards, and a couple packs of top-loaders. Although I have a feeling that by next months show that if their cards havn't sold yet I'll be grabbing them up for a song.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    LSUTigr1973: As of today, 06 December 2009, the population report states that there are only 8 of this error card in the grade of PSA 10. The correct card also only has 8 PSA 10s. Just look at the number of Ripken collectors on the Registry. More demands than cards in that grade. Just my thoughts.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I think I'll wake this thread up a little bit to share my most recent Ripken poppage! Nothing too exciting, but I did manage to receive SIX upgrades!

Upgrades:
    1996 PINNACLE 214 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 9 (upgrade from 8.5)
    1996 STUDIO 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 9 (upgrade from 8)
    1997 LEAF 218 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 8.5 (upgrade from 8)
    1997 STADIUM CLUB 8 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10 (upgrade from 9)
    1998 STADIUM CLUB 83 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10 (upgrade from 9)
    2001 ULTRA 3 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10 (upgrade from 9)

Swapping out my old ebay buys for these self-subs:
    MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    MINT 9 1991 ULTRA 24 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    MINT 9 1995 TOPPS 588 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    GEM MINT 10 1995 UPPER DECK 365 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    MINT 9 1999 FLEER 8 CAL RIPKEN JR.
    MINT 9 1999 UPPER DECK 49 CAL RIPKEN JR.

Other Sub Highlights:
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 TOPPS 307 WORLD SERIES GAME 2 MANTLE SLAMS 2 HOMERS (the card I pulled from the 2001 Topps pack)
    GEM MINT 10 1995 STUDIO 25 TONY GWYNN (why couldn't this have been the Ripken?)
    GEM MINT 10 1997 SELECT TOOLS OF THE TRADE 15 G.ARIAS/P.MOLITOR MIR. BLUE
    GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS 100 DEREK JETER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA

I left out the rest of the stinkers. Overall I'm happy with this sub. It's always nice to receive upgrades to my Basic Set! Well, back to picking up some more raws for upgrade attempts! image
  • Options
    Congrats on the upgrades Jeff.

I'm partially to blame for this thread slipping like it has. I swear after the holidays I will post a bunch on here so that it doesn't drop to far down on the board.
  • Options
    It's really messed up that I do all of this box ripping and raw card purchasing, trying to find the perfect card, and out of about 30 Ripkens submitted, I get 6 that I can use, and it only brings me up 0.025 in my Weighted GPA. Those four Ripken 10s that I received actually came out of my personal raw collection.
  • Options
    The worst part is that you can't really make your money back selling 8's and 9's on Ebay. Personally I set a standard for myself a while ago.
    PSA 10: 1980-present
    PSA 9: 1965-Present
    PSA 8: Pre 1965
    Unless a card is gonna cost me a kidney in that grade I try to stick to that. Of course I'm not Don Spence and able to buy PSA 8 T206's or 52's. I've actually sold off some really nice cards because they didn't fit into my standard like a PSA 9 David Wright 2002 Bowman Chrome Auto RC. It's a card I just felt I would rather own in a 10...
  • Options
    We need to talk about this 1997 Select #71 base card. This is the LAST card in the Basic Set to not have any 10's! There have only been four cards subbed, and two of those have came back 9's (both of which were subbed by me). Mt latest PSA 9 came from a recent box purchase from BBCE. I listed my other 1997 Select PSA 9 last night. I posted it for a higher dollar amount, but what the heck, everyone else does it! lol

When you guys get a chance, look through your raw collections and see if you have any of these that are grade-worthy. It may be beneficial for you to give yours a shot! BBCE has no more Series 1 boxes, and it's slim-pickings on the bay right now.
  • Options
    I actually looked through my raw collection a couple weeks ago. I have 3 base ones, 1 gold version, and 1 artist proof. None of which I believe would get a 10.
  • Options
    I only have 4 cards left to upgrade that are sub-PSA 9:

1997 Leaf #218 (PSA 8.5) (subbed FIVE of these this year, all came back 8's)
    1997 Ultra #11 (PSA 8) (subbed two of these this year, both came back 8's)
    1998 Studio #113 (PSA 8.5)
    1999 Flair Showcase Row 3 #8 (PSA 8)

Really tired of chasing these! image
  • Options
    I still need to sub all the 95's I pulled. Definitely gonna pop a bunch of 10's. Just need to get over the initial investment in order to start reaping the rewards.
  • Options
    I subbed two of the 1995 Topps cards I pulled from my last box, and they both came back 9's. I also subbed yet ANOTHER 1995 Studio that came back a 9. Driving me nuts!
  • Options
    I have about 20 that I would consider sure-shot 10's. But I really don't want to flood the market that bad.
  • Options
    I think centering and surface would be the major factors when deciding on which ones to send in. When I ripped my 1995 Topps box, the cards were sticking together pretty bad, and some lost random spots on the surface.

There's a 10 on the bay right now, but with Christmas around the corner, my card funds are pretty limited. I'm gonna take a stab at it, but it won't be very strong.
  • Options
    I guess this is gonna affect us...

Thread Link
  • Options
    I was looking into it, because I was going to complain about it, but it's really not going to add any more cards to the Basic Set. The only 2002 cards that SHOULD be in there, are already in there (Donruss, Fleer, and Ultra). He never had another Topps card made, along with any of Topps' other sets like Bowman, Finest, and Stadium Club. Upper Deck never made a regular Issue card either, just that Checklist with him on it. So along with that, there was no SP made either. I looked pretty deep for a card they could possible add, and couldn't find any.
  • Options
    I recently picked up that 1995 Topps PSA 10 for only $76.00! I'm down to only needing the 1985 and 1988 Topps to get 100% 10's in the Basic Topps Set! I'm still in the middle of pulling all of the Ripkens out of a 1988 Topps vending case, and there are some very nice PSA 10 candidates in there. That 1985 card is gonna be the tough one... it's so expensive to rip packs from that set, and buying raw '85s is futile.
  • Options
    Does anyone here know the Ripken collector kingrang? If you do, and you have his name and email, can you PM it to me? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: Got the info, thanks. Happy holidays.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone here know the Ripken collector kingrang? >>

He just bought a handful of Ripken PSA 10's from me.
  • Options
    Hey guys- I'm a Ripken collector also and have a very nice collection. I am not into the PSA thing but enjoy reading about your enthusiasm for it. I am starting to get interested and may decide to get involved. Who decides what cards are qualified for the registry? I understand there are different list options also, is this correct? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions I know very little about this. Is there a registry for the most different Ripkens graded? Thanks for any advice or help.
    AL
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
    Hey Al, welcome to the PSA boards!! You have been the subject of several discussions on here actually. You have a killer collection! I spent over an hour looking through your photobucket one day. There are MANY big-time Ripken collectors on this board, and not all of them post on this thread. Check out other posts by IronManFan and RipkenInTheMinors, to name a couple.

As for your Set Registry questions, the PSA Set Registry Managers and Coordinators deem what is Set Registry-worthy. Sometimes they email set owners to vote on issues and things like that. There are many different Ripken Sets in the Registry, but the main ones are sets like the Basic, Master, Collector Issues, Basic Topps, Master Topps, and Rookie sets. There are several other sets involving the Ripken Sub-Sets like Emotion Timeless and Burger King sets. Do some exploring and you may get hooked! Also, you can use the same card in multiple sets as long as it's eligible to be in that set. The Master Set consists of 2,584 cards, so it does cover a pretty wide range, but as you know, that barely scratches the surface of the Ripken catalog. You also have the option to request a card to be added to a set. That process can take a few weeks, but they add cards to various sets on a daily basis.

I hope that helps a little. I'm stoked to see a collector of your caliber come to this forum, and I look forward to hearing some of your stories and experiences as a Ripken collector!
  • Options
    Albert,

Welcome to the boards! Can't wait to hear how you've acquired some of your cards! Since a lot of your collecction is already on photobucket it will be nice when some of them become a fixture to this thread... image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys- I'm a Ripken collector also and have a very nice collection. >>

That might be the understatement of the year... your collection is outstanding image
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys I have the following 3 PSA graded Ripkens available for 10.00 delivered for all 3. Please send me a PM if you want them. Thanks

1987 fleer baseball's best Cal Ripken Jr. PSA 9
    1987 fleer All-Stars Cal Ripken Jr. PSA 9
    1988 fleer superstars Cal Ripken Jr PSA 8
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I am looking at the registrys deciding what I want to do. I'll probably start out small and work my way up.
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
    BigAL I just looked at your collection its real nice. The only card Im worried about is your Ripken Charlotte O's blue border..The inside white border lines are way to straight just like on the fakes. There supposed to be a little wavy and the charlotte O's logo doesnt seem orange more to the red side which the fakes have.
  • Options
    His Charlotte O's card has been under discussion before in this thread, and I think we determined that he already knew it was a counterfeit. I think he even paid counterfeit prices if I'm not mistaken. Hell, I would even like to own a counterfeit. That's probably as close to owning one as I'm ever gonna get! image
  • Options
    Yes I am aware that the Ripken card is a fake.

I started dinking around a little today on ebay on some psa 10's and noticed there seems to be some major competition out there.
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options

<< <i>His Charlotte O's card has been under discussion before in this thread, and I think we determined that he already knew it was a counterfeit. I think he even paid counterfeit prices if I'm not mistaken. Hell, I would even like to own a counterfeit. That's probably as close to owning one as I'm ever gonna get! image >>

Ah ok...I didnt bother reading all them pages and I just jumped to the last page.
  • Options
    No I figured that was the case, it would be impossible to check every page before posting something on here.

Yes Al, there are quite a few strong high-grade Ripken collectors out there (unfortunately for my wallet). If there's a low-pop Basic Set card out there on ebay, it's certain to cost you a c-note at least. Very tough competition...
  • Options
    Hey, I found a cool video of IronmanFan! I would recognize that jersey setup anywhere... pretty sweet collection!!

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I have a 1993 Finest Cal Ripken Jr. Refractor for sale in the BST boards. It was pulled from a pack at the National Convention and is in Awesome condition!!!!There are scans so check it out guys.
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't been out in no mans land the last couple of weeks with no internet/phone signal. I would have jumped all over that card.