Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schill is back in Boston for an MRI according to the team.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not good, hopefully everything is ok and he just needs to rest his legs for a start or two.
    Seems to be getting a bit old cheering for another Sox pitcher to pitch a great game after a previous performance but here goes..

LETS GO BECKETT!!!! 10-1? image
    And why not? LETS GO FOGG!!!! image
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    It's good to see a homer from Ortiz. They've been few and far between for a guy of his caliber.
    Crisp with a good 'ole fashioned WEB GEM!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Crisp seems to make a few of these highlight reel grabs every season - I think Johnny Damon would have broken both of his fragile hips and sprained one of his brittle ankles trying to get that ball, and he still would have missed it.

• Who woulda thought six months ago that Josh Beckett would be 10-1...and be leading the staff in ERA (he's the only one with one under 4.00).

It's also good to see Youk doing so well, too (not that that's anything new for him). I can still remember in 2003 telling everyone "That guy should be starting every game!"

It's also good to see Lowell doing well. I thought the old guy only had one or two more decent years left. Looks like I was wrong.
    I will take a cheap rainout victory anytime. We are at 9 and to me it meens nothing at this point, I feel we are going to have several more "concerns" throughout the rest of the way.

I really hope Schilling is ok even if he misses more than a few starts for whatever reason, if we can weather giving him a short break so he can rejuvenate himself for the second half I can deal with that.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will take a cheap rainout victory anytime. We are at 9 and to me it meens nothing at this point, I feel we are going to have several more "concerns" throughout the rest of the way.

I really hope Schilling is ok even if he misses more than a few starts for whatever reason, if we can weather giving him a short break so he can rejuvenate himself for the second half I can deal with that. >>

Heard Schilling on the radio this morning -- MRI on sholder looked good, he had a cortizone shot, but not sure if he will start Sunday -- he will throw Friday to find out.
    Good news then!
    That is good news - I'd bet they skip him Sunday, and hopefully that's enough.
    That's good news about Schilling . . . kinda what we imagined too, isn't it? He has looked tired after going 9 innings for the no-hit bid. Maybe the Sox will have to be more strict about his pitch count from here on out, but you can't blame anyone for leaving him in for that whole game in Oakland. No matter what, you've gotta give a guy a chance to throw a no-hitter.

Unfortunately for me I will miss out on a 2-start week in my fantasy league if they skip Schilling.

On a different topic: I think we should keep a running tally of how many times Coco Crisp is featured on Web Gems, paying special attention to when he garners the #1 gem of the night. That catch he made yesterday was so cool looking. Personally though, I thought Manny's catch and subsequent slam into the wall was better!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny is a fine entertainer, he's always good for a laugh.
    One thing about Manny I get a kick out of (although it is a bad habit ) is after he connects with a ball he pauses for that split second before taking off.
    He likes to admire how far he hit the ball - but when he has to run, he runs. Last week he dove headfirst into second base on a hustle double, and got up with a big smile on his face. You gotta admit - he's fun to watch.
    Manny being Manny, Ya gotta love it!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    we scored some freaking runs image

<< <i>we scored some freaking runs image >>

Wow - Coco Crisp is our new slugger! I think Dave Magadan deserves a big raise. image
    I believe its official, Schill is going on the DL 15 day variety for a "sore" arm, hopefully this will get him back on track for the second half.

On another note..... BOMBS AWAY tonight!!! image

<< <i>I believe its official, Schill is going on the DL 15 day variety for a "sore" arm, hopefully this will get him back on track for the second half.

On another note..... BOMBS AWAY tonight!!! image >>

Nice that Tavarez is stepping up with some quality stuff 3 starts in a row now.
    Hey guys lets tip our hats to Tavares here, he pitched an AWESOME game tonight! image
    Coin you were thinking the same thing I was here.. He has been GREAT and recently when other guys were not getting the job done he has stepped up.
    Tavarez has really done a great job so far - even when Wake slumped a bit, he provided a quality start. His performance is part of the reason why the team can take its time with Jon Lester. I bet if they felt they needed him, he might be here now.

And more good news - the Yanks lose again. image

<< <i>He likes to admire how far he hit the ball - but when he has to run, he runs. Last week he dove headfirst into second base on a hustle double, and got up with a big smile on his face. You gotta admit - he's fun to watch. >>

That was hilarious. He really was hustling and it was a beautiful slide . . . it was also almost entirely unnecessary. That's a great thing about Manny. You can watch a game to see Manny make some huge hits or you can watch the game to see if Manny does something truly unique like cutting off a throw from the center fielder or going inside the Green Monster between batters.
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Just want to show some respect to the Red Sox's, great job so far this year.

I hope you guys keep it up and have no injuries.

The Mets I hope come around soon before Atlanta gets ahead.
    Is it me, or were the announcers calling Tavarez "Wild Thing". I think it is a perfect nickname!
    FYI Clemens did real well today??? 2 HR's and 4 runs in 4 innings?

<< <i>FYI Clemens did real well today??? 2 HR's and 4 runs in 4 innings? >>

the only stat that matters is the L

<< <i>

<< <i>FYI Clemens did real well today??? 2 HR's and 4 runs in 4 innings? >>

the only stat that matters is the L >>

Not meaning to split hairs, but here's one more stat that matters: 10.5
    it's too early to talk real trash, who said YOUK wouldn't be batting 330 by the AS break?
    Im happy to have that lead back up to 10.5, I was sh!tting bricks for awhile there but for now it looks like we got our "A" game back and the Yanks are back down to earth. Not for nothing but I believe we are going to have more uncomfortable stretches to deal with but hopefully we can hold on.
    Nice! A couple more games, and the Yanks will be back in the cellar. I'm glad that Clemens signing is working out for them (and, he hasn't even faced any quality AL teams yet!)

But, back to serious matters - this weekend's series against the Padres is going to be tough. I hope the bats continue like they have the past two nights, and it looks like Manny is heating up. Also, Coco Crisp is on fire at the plate!

<< <i>Nice! A couple more games, and the Yanks will be back in the cellar. I'm glad that Clemens signing is working out for them (and, he hasn't even faced any quality AL teams yet!)

But, back to serious matters - this weekend's series against the Padres is going to be tough. I hope the bats continue like they have the past two nights, and it looks like Manny is heating up. Also, Coco Crisp is on fire at the plate! >>

that's all well and good, but didn't a slight breeze blow recently and hurt JD Drew? Or was he removed from the game for another reason?
    I read that they took Drew out just for precautionary reasons because he had a minor quad injury (and because the score was 7-0) but I agree, you just hope that he can stay in the lineup. He is just starting to hit along with Crisp, leaving Lugo as the only guy whose bat is MIA. Drew is supposed to be back in the lineup tomorrow.

<< <i>I read that they took Drew out just for precautionary reasons because he had a minor quad injury (and because the score was 7-0) but I agree, you just hope that he can stay in the lineup. He is just starting to hit along with Crisp, leaving Lugo as the only guy whose bat is MIA. Drew is supposed to be back in the lineup tomorrow. >>

Lugo can't buy a hit. Last night Lugo hit a single that turned into an out as 'Tek got gunned down at third on a fielder's choice force out. Nothing goes right in a horrible slump like Lugo's (now hitting a Ueker-like .201).
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cellar is a pipe dream Jerry .... and you know it. You can't be THAT naive.

Anyway, nice job guys after a short bad spell image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

What worries me about the possibility of Drew going down is that we're going to have to endure a 2:1 strikeout to hit ratio with Pena taking his place. I know that when he connects he really connects, but he looks blind up there 75% of the time.
  • I noticed a stat looking at the standings tonight for the Red Sox, their runs scored/runs allowed differential is nearly 100! Amazing.
    Are any of us really suprised that Drew is a question mark for the lineup? Theo and the Sox brass better get used to this because they put us in this situation, the kid has got talent but is a WIMP imo, I like that he is starting to hit but Im already tired of these tweaked hammy's and other BS. Enough already!

<< <i>Are any of us really suprised that Drew is a question mark for the lineup? Theo and the Sox brass better get used to this because they put us in this situation, the kid has got talent but is a WIMP imo, I like that he is starting to hit but Im already tired of these tweaked hammy's and other BS. Enough already! >>

Surprised? No. Dissapointed? Yes.

I know it's probably too early still, but I'd love to see what Ellsbury can do at the major league level.
    Dice on the hill tonight versus a very tough Padres team, we better play some good ball. Hopefully we can do better against them than we did Colorado.
    Ellsbury is probably a year away, but he has great potential.

Dice-K has been sharp his last few starts, lets keep it going!

• DICE-K vs MADDUX

Dice-K has given up five walks over five innings...and the Pads have only scored one run. Something tells me he can't be this lucky all the time. Homeboy's gotta stop trying to be perfect with every pitch and just throw.
    Well, he gave up three walks in the first inning, and then settled down. He got better as the game went on. It was a great game, both bullpens were outstanding.

One thing that becomes more apparent to me each game on this west coast trip - where are all the home team fans? It looked, and sounded, like Fenway Park - not Petco whatever it is. All you saw was Red Sox fans everywhere, and in the ninth inning with Papelbon mowing them down, the whole place was standing and chanting for the Sox. It was almost as bad in Atlanta (which is an awful sports city anyway). Don't jump on the bandwagon now, everyone!
    I live on the west coast and I can honestly say that this sort of thing tends to happen everywhere out here. I've seen games in Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim that all felt like home games for the Red Sox. Oakland has some pretty vocal fans but they only seem to buy tickets when the Red Sox and Yankees come to town.
    Great win! Okj and Pabelbon great job once again, Dice picking upanother win, I didnt see the game but his stats looked good other than 5 walks.

<< <i>I live on the west coast and I can honestly say that this sort of thing tends to happen everywhere out here. I've seen games in Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim that all felt like home games for the Red Sox. Oakland has some pretty vocal fans but they only seem to buy tickets when the Red Sox and Yankees come to town. >>

I have noticed it before, but last night while I watched the game it really was obvious. The Padres are clearly one of the best teams in baseball, and you would think they would have a rabid fan base supporting them in a matchup of the teams with the two best records in the game. Instead, it really looked like Fenway Park West. You are right, in the last Oakland series I noticed it too (same thing in Arizona, but I would expect that, since there are a lot of East Coast transplants there).
    Like CTSoxfan said, Dice-K really did settle down after the first inning. It's a good thing he can throw so many pitches though or he'd have a hard time getting very deep in games. One observation from the game: Dice's fastball looks unhittable at times, especially when they go up in the zone with it. It looks to me like it's got late upward movement somehow. Filthy stuff. Anyway, Remy was talking about how he thinks Dice-K needs to rely on the fastball more because he has so much success with it. My humble opinion is in agreement with that.

I know game time is still about 9 hours away, but I'm still going to start us off with a "Let's score some freakin' runs" battle cry.