Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will second that...

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN' RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Third - Let's score some freaking runs!!!!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dice does not panic in a jam, and more often than not he has pitched his way out of them. I still do not think he has hit his groove yet, but he keeps improving with every start.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    5th inning update - Um, when did Cy Young come out of retirement and start pitching for the Padres?image

Sox looking baffled at the plate so far and Lugo's season just keeps getting worse.
    Well no harm done, the Yanks got beat as well. Tough Padres team and you are right their pitching was on point last night. Today is another day!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I missed the game, but was going ot watch the "highlights"...ahem....there wasn't any
    Ted if you were looking for yesterdays highlights, there was only one, the Yankees getting beat in extra innings by a single that dropped just out of reach of Abreu's glove. image
    There is no activity at all over in the Yankee thread - did they give up already? Again?

Last night, it was San Diego and the umpires 6, Red Sox 0. It didn't really matter much, as Young was just lights out for SD. Today is the premier pitching matchup so far of the year, with Beckett vs Peavy. Should be a good one.
    The umps got the Bard HR call right.

What irks me is that Bard should be catching Wake and not .190 - hitting Mirabelli. I wonder if last year's pitching coach screwed up by not having Bard work enough with Wake in spring training.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the umpires made the right calls when the conferred each time. The home plate umpire had a tall strike zone last night, but it went both ways.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge matchup tonight - probably the 2 allstar game starters.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    The Good: Beckett, Papelbon, Varitek, and another Yankee loss.

The Bad: Lugo.

How much longer is Francona going to give this guy to pull his average back over the Mendoza line when Alex Cora is playing great defense and hitting a very respectable .287? I know that Francona said that the Red Sox's best chance of winning is with Lugo's bat in the lineup but this is really starting to look like a failed acquisition. Maybe there's some kind of Curse of the Nomar going on here?

<< <i>The Good: Beckett, Papelbon, Varitek, and another Yankee loss.

The Bad: Lugo.

How much longer is Francona going to give this guy to pull his average back over the Mendoza line when Alex Cora is playing great defense and hitting a very respectable .287? I know that Francona said that the Red Sox's best chance of winning is with Lugo's bat in the lineup but this is really starting to look like a failed acquisition. Maybe there's some kind of Curse of the Nomar going on here? >>

I was never crazy about Lugo, but never dreamed he would hit THAT bad. This whole shortstop mess would have been avoided if they just kept Orlando Cabrerra after the World Series.
    Agreed - I am getting very frustrated by Lugo. I definitely wanted him here, and even said so last year when the Sox became interested in signing him, but he just isn't hitting. If the team wasn't playing so well, and they couldn't hide him in the lineup like they have, he'd be having a tougher time than he is. Even Crisp has come around with the bat as of late.

But, if that's our biggest problem, then who cares? Let's just enjoy a great performance by Beckett, more clutch hitting, Papelbon being lights out, and of course - yet another Yankee loss.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .193 for Lugo - monster bust so far.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    First off GREAT WIN's by Beckett and the Giants! This SS position has become a nightmare as far as getting production from the spot but it has not really "hurt" us too bad so far right? I am more interested in us concentrating on grabbing Buerhle rather than concerning ourselves with Lugo, he will start hitting soon enough. I really hope Drew can get hot as well, I would like to see him hit at least 15 more HR's in the second half
    Okay, I just have one more comment about Lugo and then I'll stop piling on him: What do Jake Peavy, Matt Morris, Chris Sampson, Zach Duke, Tim Hudson and Clay Hensley all have in common aside from the fact that they are all pitchers? They all have higher batting averages than Julio Lugo and Andruw Jones.

Maybe we should convert Lugo to a middle relief role?

<< <i>Ted if you were looking for yesterdays highlights, there was only one, the Yankees getting beat in extra innings by a single that dropped just out of reach of Abreu's glove. image >>

THANKS image
    Cant forget our battle cry...

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN' RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
    I am absolutely loving the way Coco Crisp has been playing lately. (I had something not nice to say about the guy behind him in the lineup, but I'm not going to say it . . . okay, I'll say it, but I won't mention any names. It reminds me of co-ed softball. Coco gets on base and then the girl comes to the plate after him and you just write her off as an out.)
    image Yep, I agree with you!

Cmon, lets score some freaking runs! image
    looks like an opportunity to get to bed early tonight. image

<< <i>looks like an opportunity to get to bed early tonight. image >>

YUCK!
    How did I kno they were going to get smoked traveling to Seattle for a 10PM game... image
    I know - it seems like the schedule hasn't been kind to the Sox as far as these trips go. But, let's hope this was just a quick blip on the radar screen. It sucks staying up so late to watch losses like that one.

I also wish we were seeing Lester pitch tonight. But Gabbard wasn't half bad last year in his few starts, and Eck seems to like him.
    Eck sure doesn't like Buehrle.

<< <i>Eck sure doesn't like Buehrle. >>

I know - it really surprised me to hear that.
    What did Eck say about Buerhle?
    If I was Big Papi, I think I would ask Mike Timlin to be my pitcher for the All Star game's Home Run Derby contest. That guy throws perfect meatballs.

<< <i>What did Eck say about Buerhle? >>

Here is the quote -

"I'm not a big Buerhle guy at all. Talk about pitching to contact. Everybody hits him. The only thing good about him is that it doesn't take very long to pitch a game, one way or another. He throws a lot of strikes. I mean not to get on him, lefthanders have always amazed me how they get by. He knows how to pitch obviously, he threw a no-hitter, he's one of the best lefthanders around. I just... I'm afraid of him. I'm afraid of him because he throws too many strikes. I just, Fenway Park, I really don't know. You're only renting him for a couple of months, but beyond that, I'm just not a big fan of his because I think he's very hittable ... to me Gabbard's like Buerhle, but younger and throws harder."

I will say this, Eck is usually right on the money IMO. He pulls no punches on the NESN wrap-up shows after the game - if a player stinks up the place that game, he will say so.

<< <i>

<< <i>What did Eck say about Buerhle? >>

Here is the quote -

"I'm not a big Buerhle guy at all. Talk about pitching to contact. Everybody hits him. The only thing good about him is that it doesn't take very long to pitch a game, one way or another. He throws a lot of strikes. I mean not to get on him, lefthanders have always amazed me how they get by. He knows how to pitch obviously, he threw a no-hitter, he's one of the best lefthanders around. I just... I'm afraid of him. I'm afraid of him because he throws too many strikes. I just, Fenway Park, I really don't know. You're only renting him for a couple of months, but beyond that, I'm just not a big fan of his because I think he's very hittable ... to me Gabbard's like Buerhle, but younger and throws harder."

I will say this, Eck is usually right on the money IMO. He pulls no punches on the NESN wrap-up shows after the game - if a player stinks up the place that game, he will say so. >>

how does he have time to talk about anyone outside of Luso and Timlin?image
    if Eckersley is right and Buehrle is not as good as Gabbard, that means that Buehrle belongs in Little League.
    WTF 4-1 already?
    4-2, and Lugo is sitting. Finally. I hope he can get his act together, they need him and his speed in the lineup.
    ooooo ok

So that Feliz Hernandez dude that almost no-hit us is pitching. Now it makes sense

Let's score some freakin runs
    I just posted a message that will never see the light of day because it had a forbidden word. Needless to say, I'm not happy with the game tonight, and now I'm not happy with the fact that I erased my vent when I tried to go back and tone down my #%$%.

Cliff's Notes Version of what I wrote: V-tek = 4 "swinging" Ks (with his eyes closed I think)
    Big Papi = 3-4 is great, but whatever happened to being the best clutch hitter in Red Sox history?
    Putz + 5-out save = Red Sox looking like sissies.
    Me - Beer = Sober and still mad as hell.

Oh yeah, and Gabbard, Delcarmen, and Lopez all sucked.
  • Gabbard had an awful first inning, but really seemed to settle down after that...was his MLB debut, no?
    Ortiz seems to be more interested in swinging at junk than taking walks...not trying to offend, but pitchers are throwing him nothing but garbage and he's still swinging at it. Until he decides a walk is worthy, he's going to struggle.
    Putz has definitely been on a roll this year...saw ESPN's player ranking earlier this month that had him listed as the best closer in baseball this year.
    You will get no arguement from me about Putz - I'd agree he's been the best closer in baseball this season (yes, even better than Papelbon - but both guys are pretty much lights out). Plus, the M's have a good bullpen besides Putz, and Ichiro is the man.

Tonight, not exactly a pitching duel, but the Sox had their chances. I can't get too upset with Varitek, but man all we needed was one timely hit from him and it would have changed the game. So, Dice-K tomorrow - lets take at least one, and finally the Sox will be back at Fenway.
    Agreed with the above comments, and would like to add that I am tired of JD Drew and his (what appears to me anyways ) lack of fire, I am watching him in his first at bat last night with the bags full and he promptly K's and shows zero emotion, I dont know maybe its me but I would like to see more of a fire under his a$$. I am still hoping he can add 15 HRs to his stats after the break but I get the immpression that he does not have a care in the world about it.

Any of you guys see where Im coming from? agree/disagree?
    Agreed. it is one thing to see Youk swear after a K, but I think Drew is just in a funk, and is too depressed and unconfident to even swing correctly
    Drew is better than Luso, but not by much in my book.
    I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed that about Drew. There was a key AB last night, where the Sox had two men on and two outs. Drew at the plate, and he weakly grounded out to first. It didn't seem to bother him at all. I know some players are like that, but he does it all the time. Look at Lowell, who seems like he is fighting up there at every AB, or Youk, or even Ortiz. Get fired up, man!
    Another thing about Drew that I might add is he was not brought here to be a team "leader" or even counted on to be the main cog in the lineup, we already have those guys! I dont expect him to hit 40 HR's and drive in a 120 runs but act like you were signed to a 70 mill contract for god sakes! Does he even enjoy the game? He looks like he is punching a time clock for a factory job, lets see some emotion!
    I seem to remember that all the Dodger fans had exactly this same complaint about Drew. So you know it's bad if fans that habitually leave games in the 6th or 7th inning are complaining about a player's lack of heart.

I'm glad the Sox have been successful up to this point. I'm thankful for a 10 game lead in the AL East . . . but this team is definitely not without its share of problems, and I honestly don't think that if the season ended today they could win the World Series. Indulge my diatribe here for a minute, but these are the things I see wrong with the team right now: Lugo's inability to hit (love those steals though), Drew's inconsistency and lack of heart, Lowell's slumping (5 for his last 34 and .208 for the month of June), Schilling is on the shelf, the fact that Ortiz and Ramirez have combined for fewer home runs than A-Rod has hit on his own, other than Okajima and Papelbon I don't think the bullpen is very good, and in general I get the feeling that we're an all or nothing team and what I mean by that is that guys like Varitek either go off and hit a triple and a homer in the game like he did in SD or they go out and secure themselves the Golden Sombrero. The team is good enough to be successful over a 162 game season, but I worry about the best of 5 and 7 game series that await us in the fall.
    HA HA HA! HERE GOES AGAIN....
    How about we score some freakin' runs to support Dice-K?
    LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN' RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your thinking the same thing as me VON?