Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• I cannot stand this bull$hit 2 runs here and there, with NY putting up softball #'s EVERY FREAKING GAME!

perkdog, hey buddy don't be so hard on yourself. Yesterday the Yankees beat last year's NL Cy Young winner with a measly 4 runs. Fof the past two nights the Yankees have beaten very good pitchers. The Yanks have been getting damned good Starting Pitching themselves during this stretch....Wang has been his wonderful self, Mussina coming around and pitching great lately, and Pettitte has a low ERA and has been a hard luck pitcher most of the year. Hopefully this will now change and Andy will get some deserved wins. Clemens had a decent first outing but must proof himself of his enormous salary...I am expecting a win in every one of his starts for the rest of the season to earn that kind of dough. LOL

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BECKETT!!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!!

PAPI!! PAPI!! PAPI!! PAPI!! PAPI!!

MANNY!! MANNY!! MANNY!! MANNY!!

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WTF was that last night? I was in Boston, and only saw I think 1 colorado run. I was at Abe and Louie's and could really see the TV, after 4 or 5 Tanq and Tonic's and numerous text messages my eyesight was gone. When I left, I noticed a LOT of strange looks on the fans faces? Then I get home and the the F&%^*&% score. WTF was that???
    Ted it was just another game we did not show up for. The bats were nowhere to be found and Schilling never should have rolled out of bed that morning. Other than that, no big deal. image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Tell me about it - these bats had better wake up tonight. At least we have Beckett on the hill.

<< <i>BECKETT!!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!!

image >>

OK one more time!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>BECKETT!!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!! BECKETT!!

image >>

OK one more time!!!! >>

AND ANOTHER!!!!! WE CANNOT LET NY GAIN ANYMORE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OK, maybe we are not being clear here. We Want RUNS not just FREAKIN' Baserunners!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    In an effort to save myself the time and effort of having to re-type the same message every night, I've created a macro on my computer so now all I have to do is hit a couple keys and this message will pop up:

And the Yankees won again.

I think the Red Sox are as bad now as the Yankees were in late April and May.
    These games are getting painful to watch.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am enjoying these games image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

The funk they are in right now is unbearable, men on base w/2 outs CONSTANTLY, pitching getting lit up, it just keeps getting worse and worse lately.

This team is very good and they have it in 'em I just hope for all our sakes they can snap out of it before its too late.
    Paul,

There is soooooo much left in the season. I wouldn't get too worried because the Sox have the pitching to get out of their funk. BUT, I would not count on building a HUGE 14 1/2 game lead again on the Yankees. The Yanks will get cold again, the Sox will get hot again, and then vice versa. It will be fun to see who outlasts who come late September.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

I agree Dan, but right now is just awful, the same type of thing you guys went through in April and May. As far as Im concerned the pressure is on the Sox and not on you guys anymore. I thought losing Giambi would hurt you guys but since he's been out the Yanks have been the hottest team in Baseball.

I dont like it. image
  • Should I....nah....(just kidding, honestly)

This is exactly what I meant when everyone hammered me because they thought I was being beligerent. I wasnt (well, maybe as a Yanx fan, just a teeeeeny bit). The roll each was on, Sox on the up and Yanx on the down, reversal of fortune was bound to happen for whatever reason (I am of the thought that you really cant blame injuries, thats why they have bench players waiting for that opportunity, not to mention manager/staff think he should be there, then the farm system, etc. One player doesnt make a team). I wont say 'I told you so' at all...you all know the game, and deep down, knowing its a long season, anything can happen. I have the baseball package on cable, and watch both teams (for those few games I am not at Fenway, and it IS a geniunely GREAT place to see a game, and a fun time is had by all, but they DO need a bigger facility)..as well as alot of other games in bothe leagues. It's uncanny how many peaks and valleys a team that plays a 162 game schedule, can go through. No other sport sees that. It's a long season, streaks will happen and droughts will too, injuries will happen (unfortunately-hate to see anyone get hurt enough to end a season), etc...but they have to fill the hole and keep going, no matter how beat up or not a team is...its hard, but they are pros, so the job has to get done...period...they are PAID to do their job. Baseball managers have the absolute toughest jobs trying to keep that machine working smoothly, dont they? As a baseball fan, let the rivalry continue, and may the best team win. And to those who were offended by my eariler posts, I do apologize, it was never my intent to go NAHNEENAHNEENAHNAH. I have to admit, the Sox DO have a tremendous unit working together, and I LOVE Mike Lowell, team leader in HR AND steals, yet 12E, and top 3-4 on the team in every offensive category...Youk turned out to be a very very good 1st bagger...watch how many he scoops out of the dirt.....Manny BETTER hurry up and put up Manny numbers (I think he will...a 2nd half guy), Varitek...well, is there a better all around catcher in baseball than Tek? Jorge, maybe, but any given day both are the best, not discounting Pudge either...Drew aint a kid, but neither was Trot, but Drew mighta had some gas, and thats why the Sox picked him up, that gamble...the pitching, well, I dont have that much time to trumpet its success...in short, I know what they can do/have been doing, and it hurt as a Yanx fan to see them jump that far that quick...just had to hope they didnt get too far ahead. It actually mighta coulda been more than 14 1/2! You just gotta give credit where its due, though...its the 2nd rule of being a fan, right behind #1rule 'Denial'..lol It was just to remind you what you already knew, and perhaps, as a Yanx fan, a little good natured rub! I will check back, gentleman. Peace, and enjoy the season, theres lots of it left!.

Edited to add...my apologies are especially extended to The Von and perkdog!
    giggidy!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In an effort to save myself the time and effort of having to re-type the same message every night, I've created a macro on my computer so now all I have to do is hit a couple keys and this message will pop up:

And the Yankees won again.

I think the Red Sox are as bad now as the Yankees were in late April and May. >>

Yup, and don't count on any help from the Mets. They suck big time now and are looking to get swept this weekend.

Giddy Goo, Apoligee accepted. It is a long season you are correct. If you are any fan of any team you are going to be excited when your fiercest rival is 14.5 behind right? I did say this Yankee team is capable of pulling off a 20 game win streak, I did also however say We would win the division. As upset as I am at my team for tanking it so bad I remain cautiously optimistic that New York cannot keep this up, and the Sox will turn it around and start playing solid baseball again, right now I am critical as ever of how they are playing and I tip my hat to New York for their surge.

Bottom line we are what? 7 or 7.5 up? Lets put together a few solid wins and get this rolling again!

<< <i>
    Yup, and don't count on any help from the Mets. They suck big time now and are looking to get swept this weekend. >>

I'm not going to count on any help from the Giants rolling over for the Red Sox either. I've been listening to some of the Giants players do interviews on the S.F. radio stations out here and they're all geeked up about playing in Fenway for the first time. Even though it seems like half their lineup just got called up from AAA they will probably rise to the occasion and beat the Sox 3-2, 5-2, and 6-2 based on adrenaline alone. Of course, I'm just saying this because I'm ticked off and it helps me to be pessimistic. If I'm right and they beat the Sox soundly at least I can say I predicted it. If I'm wrong, well, heck that means the Red Sox won and that would make the weekend a whole lot better.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Yup, and don't count on any help from the Mets. They suck big time now and are looking to get swept this weekend. >>

I'm not going to count on any help from the Giants rolling over for the Red Sox either. I've been listening to some of the Giants players do interviews on the S.F. radio stations out here and they're all geeked up about playing in Fenway for the first time. Even though it seems like half their lineup just got called up from AAA they will probably rise to the occasion and beat the Sox 3-2, 5-2, and 6-2 based on adrenaline alone. Of course, I'm just saying this because I'm ticked off and it helps me to be pessimistic. If I'm right and they beat the Sox soundly at least I can say I predicted it. If I'm wrong, well, heck that means the Red Sox won and that would make the weekend a whole lot better. >>

you think the Sox can score six runs in just three games?
  • No.

Are you related to perkdog?

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

<< <i>

you think the Sox can score six runs in just three games? >>

Yes, I think they can, but only if they bring their "C" game . . . which hasn't happened for quite a while.
    Well I am going away for the weekend and AWAY from the Sox. I am hoping I will come back Sunday night and find out good things have happened this weekend.

They are bound to break out of this slump and start to play good ball, this is my war cry for now.

Lets Go Sox!!!!
    This weekend should be interesting. I am thinking that the Sox might need a trade in order to spark the offense. I never thought that before now, but there is too much inconsistency from Drew, Crisp, and Lugo. Papi and Manny are hitting the ball, but not up to their standards. Maybe a deal where we could send Crisp or Pena (or both) in exchange for a reliable bat. There was talk before the season about Todd Helton coming here, he would be unstoppable hitting in Fenway. Problem is, there is nowhere for him to play.

Tonight should be cool in one respect though - Dave Roberts comes back to Fenway. I hope the fans show their appreciation for him, and I bet they will.
    How about sending Crisp, Drew (including his salary), Pineiro, and Tavarez to Seattle for Ichiro?

<< <i>How about sending Crisp, Drew (including his salary), Pineiro, and Tavarez to Seattle for Ichiro? >>

I'd do that in a second! But, Drew is untradeable because of his contract, and the Mariners aren't letting Ichiro go. They would be crazy if they did.
    Seattle might be crazy if they trade Ichiro, but he's a free agent after this year, and he's told the Seattle Press that he's never been a free agent and he's "intrigued" by the process. I think there's a very real chance he won't be back in Seattle next year so it's just a matter of whether or not the Mariners think they can re-sign him. If they don't think they can, they'll probably want to trade him for something instead of just getting sandwich round draft picks as compensation. It will be interesting to see what happens with Ichiro this year . . . especially since he's not the only big name OF that's going to be a free agent this off season. From what I understand Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones are both free agents this winter too.
  • Maybe a deal where we could send Crisp or Pena (or both) in exchange for a reliable bat.

I thought you guys were so happy when you got Crisp and let Damon go?

<< <i>Maybe a deal where we could send Crisp or Pena (or both) in exchange for a reliable bat.

I thought you guys were so happy when you got Crisp and let Damon go? >>

Arod has brought you guys how many championships?

<< <i>Maybe a deal where we could send Crisp or Pena (or both) in exchange for a reliable bat.

I thought you guys were so happy when you got Crisp and let Damon go? >>

I just threw him in to sweeten the deal for the Mariners. They like Gold-glove caliber fielders.
    Ortiz - dumb for throwing his bat, or smart for trying to light a fire?

So far I'm thinking dumb. We need him hitting.
    So, Perkdog leaves for the weekend and the Red Sox score 10 runs. I'm making a note of this and I'll let you guys know if I notice a continuing trend. If there is one, we may have to "take care of" Perkdog.

Now that's more like it!

<< <i>So, Perkdog leaves for the weekend and the Red Sox score 10 runs. I'm making a note of this and I'll let you guys know if I notice a continuing trend. If there is one, we may have to "take care of" Perkdog. >>

it would be a small price to pay for a championship. He might even off himself if it meant a World Series victory.
    Okay, perkdog - you can come back now! Obviously it wasn't you keeping the runs away...

Great pitching duel, Dice-K delivers a gem, and Manny hits the game-winner. That kid for the Giants is really good, and he's like their version of Wakefield this season (as far as run support, or lack thereof goes). The Giants just can't score runs for him.
    The signs for Bonds in the stands were intresting. WEEI gave away a bunch that say 756* image
    It looks like Manny is getting into his normal groove with home runs in two games in a row now. That's good news.
    HEY! Whats up fellas! I see the Sox are back? I like the three wins this weekend, I guess it was good for me to lay off them for the weekend huh! I think I might have been too hard on them but they put a smile back on my face. A great weekend for the SOX!!!

I see we still have a pesky Yankee squad to deal with but things are looking back on track as far as scoring runs goes, Drew and Manny seemed to have chipped in nicely for a change, GOOD JOB!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broom Time!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Nice to see some hitting today, let's keep it up on the upcoming road trip.image
    Staying the course here....

LETS GO SCHILLING!!! LETS GIVE HIM SOME FREAKIN' RUN SUPPOERT TONIGHT!!!!!
    I can't help but think while watching Schilling that he's headed to the DL. Something must be wrong with him, unless it is just age. Lester needs a roster spot?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    UGH Couple blasts tonight for the Sox, but NOT NEARLY ENOUGH, and let's get rid of timlin

<< <i>I can't help but think while watching Schilling that he's headed to the DL. Something must be wrong with him, unless it is just age. Lester needs a roster spot? >>

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen either. When his fastballs are consistently in the 86-88 MPH range and he's missing his locations . . . well, it's just not looking good for Curt. The losers on ESPN think he's still recovering from his "nine inning game the other day." Maybe he needs to be skipped in the rotation once or have a start pushed back a couple days?

Here's my fear: Curt doesn't have a contract for next year and he's basically been asked to prove that he can stay healthy for a year (the whole reason the Sox didn't go one more year with him before the season started). What if he decides not to say anything and just keeps going out there to get shelled every fifth game?
    Terry Francona will not allow that to happen to Curt, no way. I think it might be best to keep him out for a rotation as well, I dont think Curt needs to get his confidence back but maybe he does need a rest, he definately needs something as he has not been the same since his one hitter.

The Braves have a tough squad but no excuses we got beat. I think we will get them next game, the Braves can be on one night then down the next, they are not as consisent as they have been in the past.

Whatever Crisp did before the game I suggest he stick with it and not change a thing..
    I will take a page from Jerry's book image

Its not the same without a cupcake like the Giants on the schedule huh guys?

Well, now that you mention it - the Sox are playing a much tougher interleague schedule than the Yankees, but what else is new? The Sox are playing Atlanta (Yanks get the Rockies) and then San Diego (Yanks get the aforementioned cupcake Giants). Did we get to beat up on the awful Pirates? Nope.

Schilling is having an odd season, not sure what is wrong with him - he never has starts like tonight. But, he threw a one-hitter last week, so you have to think he's alright. I am tired, though, of Timlin. I have liked him for years, and he has been very reliable. But when he comes into a game now, I just figure the game is over. He is like Red Auerbach's victory cigar - for the other team.

Oh, and Dan - did you see Crisp tonight? I think he equaled Johnny Damon's stats for the month in one night. image
    Jer,

Was it the Rockies that kicked the crap out of you guys? image Oh yeah!

So Crisp had a great night. Even the blind squirrel finds a nut now and then image

<< <i>Was it the Rockies that kicked the crap out of you guys? image Oh yeah!

>>

Ya, bad example. image

Can't figure Schilling out. Pitches a 1-hitter, then can't get a fastball past 89 MPH. Sox may need Lester to replace him instead of Tavares, but who knows, next outing Schill might get another shutout.
    I think Schilling did some damage with the extended effort trying for a no-hitter. Maybe he has a tired groin image