Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Anyway, A-Rod or anybody else has the right to do whatever it take to win. If the ump calls you on it then fine. You Sox fans need to stop crying like 3 year olds who lost their ever present pacifier EVERY time something happens to your sacred Sox. Also, don't talk anything about bush league moves until one of you admits Jason Varitek was as bush as can be by hitting A-Rod. A-Rod had the class to do something in the FLOW of the game and not with full catchers gear on. The very fact yopu guys LAUD Varitek for that and then cry your eyes out about these other things confirms the New England bubble angle on all of this. >>

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this criticism. How can you say that Arod has class because he's reacting in the flow of the game and then turn around criticize Varitek because he's got catcher's gear on? As you said, this little melee happened in the middle of the game. It's ridiculous to hold it against Varitek, THE CATCHER, for doing anything with his catcher's gear on when his team is on the field. If he had the day off and he ran out of the dugout to beat up A-rod then I'd see your point.

Besides that, what's bush about Varitek telling A-Rod he'd have to go through him if he wanted to fight the pitcher? That's what I'd expect from a catcher and a team captain.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Besides that, what's bush about Varitek telling A-Rod he'd have to go through him if he wanted to fight the pitcher? That's what I'd expect from a catcher and a team captain. >>

Exactly. Well said.

And one more thing - 10 1/2 imageimage
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the Yanks should plunk the #1 Yankee Killer -- Youkilis!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    yeah tell em

"hey YOU-KILL-US every time " image
  • How do you guys feel about JD Drew? Probably the same way I feel about Bobby Abreu. Overpaid Bum.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I hated the Drew signing when it was done. Hate it even more now. What's really crappy about the deal is that his contract is so heavy, it'd be hard to unload him on another team unless the Sox wind up eating some of the contract (like with Renteria).
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Look at the good news, Yankees fans: you're still two games ahead of the Devil Rays.
    Capecards

<< <i>11! imageimage >>

11 1/2! imageimage
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you guys feel about JD Drew? Probably the same way I feel about Bobby Abreu. Overpaid Bum. >>

yes

<< <i>

<< <i>How do you guys feel about JD Drew? Probably the same way I feel about Bobby Abreu. Overpaid Bum. >>

yes >>

I never liked the Drew deal since they day they signed him. WTH was Theo thinking? Even his best career year was not worth $14 million per. He could have kept Trot Nixon for $11 million less per year. This is Rent-a-Wreck all over again.
    Drew has demonstrated less ability at the plate than Pedroia. Drew is a #8 hitter, from what I have seen.
  • 11! imageimage

This wreaks of 1978 all over again.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Drew has demonstrated less ability at the plate than Pedroia. Drew is a #8 hitter, from what I have seen.

You guys gotta love Cocoa Crisp too. Even a banged up Johnny Damon has been better than Crisp. Last year Damon was far superior. If it wasn't for your good pitching this year....

I'd rather see Wily Mo strike out swinging at horrible pitches, then J.D. Blew WATCHING strike three or grounding into a DP

<< <i> Drew has demonstrated less ability at the plate than Pedroia. Drew is a #8 hitter, from what I have seen.

You guys gotta love Cocoa Crisp too. Even a banged up Johnny Damon has been better than Crisp. Last year Damon was far superior. If it wasn't for your good pitching this year.... >>

No way. Damon is breaking down right before your eyes in NY, and there is no way he is worth the $52 million the Yanks threw at him to sign him. Theo was smart to let him walk. He's a question mark every day as to whether or not he'll play, and he's always nursing one injury or another. His best days are clearly behind him, and like Pedro Martinez, the teams that overpaid for them are now getting what they deserve.

Crisp has definitely disappointed me, but he shows signs at the plate (and his defense is superb, way better than Damon ever was). He needs to hit more, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox traded him at some point. Still, I'd rather him than Damon right now.

Drew - I liked the signing, because getting a bat like his to follow Ortiz and Manny is pretty solid. But, what is he doing lately? After a red hot start, he's slumping big time. But I bet he comes back and has a solid season, he's still a top quality player.
    Nice little 3-0 lead image
    Hmmm.... would I rather overpay Damon to nurse hamstrings all year or send out a light hitting, awesome defender like Coco Crisp? I'll take Crisp any day! That catch he made today against the Rangers was outstanding and saved a run.

Damon couldn't even manage to start the game today and was 0-1 off the bench. I'm not surprised a Yankee fan would automatically assume that a better hitter is a better all-around player . . . but how's that working out for them so far this year?
    12?

<< <i>12? >>

Actually, 12 1/2 now - the Yanks are down there in 4th place, so its easy to miss them.

Crisp did indeed save the game today for the Sox - what a catch! He saved 2 runs with that catch, in a game they won 6-5. And, Drew had some big hits also. Nice job all around, while Ortiz took a much deserved day off.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your season fellas. Thankfully I have a 3 month old and a three week trip to Florida to distract me image By then it will be time for football image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

the next two series will be a good test!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I just get back from vacationing this weekend---No TV, No Computer.......And I find out what a GREAT WEEKEND for the Sox/Yankee rivalry!
    Should I jinx the Sox by saying "THIRTEEN AND A HALF"
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youk is really ripping it up this year.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Yet another nice win! image
    How great was the inside the park HR that Youk hit? He's absolutely on fire this year. Schilling was sharp tonight also. image

<< <i>How great was the inside the park HR that Youk hit? He's absolutely on fire this year. Schilling was sharp tonight also. image >>

Schill handled that Tribe lineup great! That lineup is no joke either.
    You're right about that - the Indians are a tough team top to bottom, and their bullpen is much improved over last season. It was also cool to see the great reception Nixon got, he will always be a fan favorite in Boston.

And, the Yankees are now tied for last place, with Tampa Bay. What a great day this is. image

<< <i>You're right about that - the Indians are a tough team top to bottom, and their bullpen is much improved over last season. It was also cool to see the great reception Nixon got, he will always be a fan favorite in Boston.

And, the Yankees are now tied for last place, with Tampa Bay. What a great day this is. image >>

YES! As far as Nixon goes, he will always be a guy that I wish well, his scrappy play was appreaciated. I still say Drew has much more upside but not worth the money.
    Drew has had two games, we are a fogving city aren't we image I have to admit I was SCARED when Nixon was up with the bases loaded

<< <i>Yet another nice win! image >>

MAN! This is getting to be a habit.....
    AHH.... Hold on a minute........................

<< <i>AHH.... Hold on a minute........................ >>

yeaaahhhh 14 and a HALF

<< <i>

<< <i>Yet another nice win! image >>

MAN! This is getting to be a habit..... >>

What I should have wrote....... Yet another win! And yet another Yankee loss! image

How silly of me..
    It just gets better - every night, someone else steps up and plays great. Tonight, it was Beckett pitching a great game (what layoff?) and Okajima closing it out. And, Varitek hit one over absolutely everything in left field that might still be going.

Dice-K tomorrow night!
    pinch me, is this really happening?
    What surprises me most about this season is the many ways the Red Sox keep finding to win games. Different guys are contributing every night with their bats, gloves, and arms . . . meanwhile, the Yankees keep finding new and amusing ways to lose. I don't remember the last time I saw someone steal home like Hill did against the Yankees tonight. That's got to be the most demoralizing play in baseball. Then again, Armando Benitez committing two balks in one the twelth inning against the Mets was pretty bad too, especially since the second one brought home the tying run.

On another note, can someone explain to me why people keep writing 14 1/2 on this thread? We're only up 11 1/2 on Baltimore. image
    The Sox are playing OUT OF THIS WORLD. The Yankees are looking to the off season (In my eyes). The only saving grace for a down and out Yankee fan like me would be a one and out in October for the Sox image THAT would make all of this worth it

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

<< <i>The Sox are playing OUT OF THIS WORLD. The Yankees are looking to the off season (In my eyes). The only saving grace for a down and out Yankee fan like me would be a one and out in October for the Sox image THAT would make all of this worth it >>

Who says there's no rivalry? That sounds just like me in the past when the Sox were out of it . . . "anybody but the Yankees" was my creedo.

<< <i>
    Who says there's no rivalry? That sounds just like me in the past when the Sox were out of it . . . "anybody but the Yankees" was my creedo. >>

Oh indeed, I am obviously hoping for a Yankee turn around and at least a run at the wild card BUT watching the Sox run over the American League has me thinking one and out for them. THAT would be great image All of that joy playing 700 plus ball and GOODNIGHT in the first round image

This is funny stuff I got to admit, yes it is our battle cry after seeing the Yankees go on a rampage in the regular season only to get smashed in the playoffs, we need to remember that. Division titles are great but its what happens in October that really counts.

We got a long way to go, but heres to staying healthy and continuing to play championship calaber ball!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    boy beckett looks good...if he can stay away from blisters he could finally live up to his hype...CY YOUNG!!!

i'm an o's fan and
    i'm so glad that we didn't want to take on lowell's salary to get beckett (h=what is he 25???) i said it was a mistake then and it is now... great pick up by the sox
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>boy beckett looks good...if he can stay away from blisters he could finally live up to his hype...CY YOUNG!!!

i'm an o's fan and
    i'm so glad that we didn't want to take on lowell's salary to get beckett (h=what is he 25???) i said it was a mistake then and it is now... great pick up by the sox >>

And, it turns out, Lowell is actually earning his salary now.
    Lowell has been HUGE this year! Im hoping he can crack 35+ HR's this year and keep it going in the postseason, he provides such protection after Manny and Papi, also with Youk hitting well we got a nice row of hitters going not to mention Drew if he ever snaps out of it.
    2 all, could we REALLY win all three??
  • I hope not. The better question is can the Yankees hold on to a 6-5 lead?

Your $100 Mil guy blew it!

Matsuzaka

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    5.2 12 6 6 0 4 1 4.83

<< <i>I hope not. The better question is can the Yankees hold on to a 6-5 lead?

Your $100 Mil guy blew it!

Matsuzaka

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    5.2 12 6 6 0 4 1 4.83 >>

image You guys know what thats like! Arod sure has brought home some championships for ya huh!
  • Yes, I can relate. At least A-Rod has some good stats for himself even if most of the time they don't benefit the team. 4.83 ERA? $100 Million.