Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my goals for this year was to obtain one of big 3 HOFers portraits that
    I lack for my set. I needed a Johnson, Young or a Matty to complete that goal.
    Well here it is Feburary and my goal has been reached. My set is a mid grade
    set that has marks or miscuts, but focuses on eye appeal. I've picked up 3 HOFers
    this month that I think stay with this goal. (See previous page for the other 2).
    without further ado, Heeeeereesss Johnnnnnny!!!!
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Nice score, Joe. I thought that looked really nice for a 1. In fact, I was either the 1st or 2nd underbidder. I already have a raw one in g+/vg- condition but was willing to downgrade since your soon-to-be new one appears pretty nice at maybe 60 percent of what mine would likely go for.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Congrats on the Johnson Joe....which back is on it?
  • Nice card Joe....I thought I was going to get it at $225!
    Dave, It's a Piedmont 150 back.

I'm always elated to obtain a new card in my set, but also feel
    bad that I have to outbid my friends for it. I have looked for
    this card for 2 years and finally found won that I am confident
    I will be happy with in this grade. My original snipe was $225.00
    but saw it climbed to $222 with 2 hours to go. I made up my mind
    that $255 was my limit, and still wouldn't win it. Was very happy to see
    that I did and am comfortable with the price. 3 HOfer's in 1
    month was a huge addition to my set. It stands at 30 HOFer's
    and 133 cards. I picked up all 3 for less than $400.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Joe,
    Nice! That is a really great PSA 1. I would've been proud to plug that one in my set as well.
    Way to go.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • nice cards, everyone...especially yours, joe. Wonderful looking PSA 1! Here is my latest

I finally got off my lazy butt and scanned my T206 collection minus 20 or so raw cards. My scanner and my scanning ability leaves alot to be desired, but its up and please feel free to take a look at it . The set is mid to low grade, but I picked cards with nice eye appeal and minimal
    creases. Feedback welcome and enjoy. Joe

My T206 Collection
    W.C.Fields
    Speaking of stamped T206 backs, I now have 2 backs with the stamp, "Baker 1318 Mosbey St. Does anyone have any more Bakers? Do any of the old timers around here ever remember having this collection whole or it being sold? Just curious to know more about him and how big his collection was. My 2 are NY Highlanders. Maybe he was a N.Y. fan? Feedback welcome?
    W.C.Fields
  • Some nice cards in there Joe...and yes, your scanning ability I won't comment on image
  • Picked this up last night on the bay. With the picture they had, it ended up going for the price of a PSA 1. After looking at the pic though, does anyone else think there is like a marker that has been traced around the slab??

• picked up these two.

• Woa, nice cards! Tell me the back has massive paper loss please! Otherwise I'm wasing my money on SGC 50s.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Greetings to all on this thread.

Ive been a lurker here for some time now and after many years of collecting ( 10 or so yrs of serious collecting in my youth followed by a 13 or so yr hiatus before returning to the hobby in 2002 ) I finally decided to join the party and purchase my first T206 cards.

I am already hooked on this amazing set and cant wait to learn as much as I can from anyone and everyone. So many of you have a wealth of knowledge when dealing with this issue and many are superb with your eagerness to help out a newbie to this set.

These are the first 8 cards I have picked up, all in the past couple of weeks.

imageimage
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Bri

Welcome aboard! I'm glad that there are a number of individuals announcing their intention to collect the monster. It's a challenging set to collect. a lot of people will say it is one of the easiest pre war sets to collect. dont believe them. The set is in high demand and lower grade cards can go for a lot more than you think. Add the fact that one can collect this set in so many ways and you get quite a challenge. But, it's a fun set to collect with a large community that is willing to give support. Keep posting your questions and recent purchases!

• << <i> Woa, nice cards! Tell me the back has massive paper loss please! Otherwise I'm wasing my money on SGC 50s. >>

thanks. Backs have tape residue. I'm all about fantastic fronts with back damage.
    Major, Those are some sweet cards. I agree with you. How often do we sit and
    stare at the backs? Congrads on that Johnson. That is one of the nicest cards I've seen in any grade.

Bri, Welcome to the mad house we call the Monster. You have made a nice dent in the set with
    some fine pick ups. now just stay away from the low grade portraits for awhile. image
    W.C.Fields
    Dave, I can't tell what grade that is, and it does look like magic marker.
    Maybe he used permatex to reseal the case. image

Bri, If I can help you in anyway, just e-mail me. The T206
    community has a ton of tools at our disposal. Joe

I almost had we and us in that post so often we though we
    were becoming the Dorfman twins. (Inside joke)
    W.C.Fields
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Joe,

Thanks for the kind words and offering your help.

That is a real nice Johnson you picked up. Is it the one with the pinhole in it ? If so I had a snipe set on it that didnt go off for some reason.

Either way its a great looking card for a PSA 1 image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Number 2 arrived this week.

• Latest two additions...it continues to be a slow last couple weeks....

<< <i>Joe,

Thanks for the kind words and offering your help.

That is a real nice Johnson you picked up. Is it the one with the pinhole in it ? If so I had a snipe set on it that didnt go off for some reason.

Either way its a great looking card for a PSA 1 image >>

Bri, It is the one with the pin holes. It was the best looking I could afford at this time
    and have wanted 1 for 2 years. If I every decide to upgrade, that card will be a nice
    addition to someone elses collection. I haven't received it yet, but I'm hoping the pin
    hole is the mark we see near his right ear. Thanks and good luck on the set. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    blackboarder, Nice O'Leary. Unless I can't see a big crease, that has a good shot at a 4. Nice pick up.
    W.C.Fields
  • Picked this one up today on Ebay...

• Dave,
    Thats a really nice AB!
    Ray
    Stop it Dave. I'm just gonna have to buy another!!..Nice card.
    W.C.Fields
  • Stop it Dave...ok, that was kinda funny image
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow, someone just added a Honus to the Registry. Is he a member of the boards?

Fight4OldDC
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    My latest addition to my set. Piedmont 350 back:

• Hello,
    Been qutie awhile since I posted on this thread. Thought I would give you all an update on my Millers/apostles sets. I now have 40 of the 350 different back combos. My latest pick up was this collins bright's back. Sure it has a hole in it. but still a tough card (HOFer).

Twins, You bet its a tuffy. Nice pick up.
    W.C.Fields
  • This is on the way to you this morning Joe. Thought I'd go ahead and post it since your scanning ability needs fine tuning...image

• Picked this up this morning...my first Chase for my registry.

• PSA 4. Nice centering and color. You gonna keep that one or look to downgrade at some point?

The Chase Blue Portrait and dark Cap are two of the most reasonable star cards in the set.
    RayB
  • Ray....Never know... I may end up downgrading to a respectable looking PSA 2 or something if it frees up money or brings in a couple extra cards. More than likely the only way I'll ever get anywhere with this set is settle for the lowest grade possible with decent looking images...spend the next ten years putting it together than worry about "upgrading" after that.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 827 ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Wow...a nice job on the Myers. I would probably want to try and cross it over. But I'd be sure to put down on submission form a minimum of 8 or else don't cross it. You wouldn't want to have it come back a 7. As far as what it would be worth..my guess would be anywhere from $2,500-$3500. I'm curious how did you come about the card? And what did you pay for it raw?
  • A couple more pickups on a busy morning. These will be tradebait...if any of you guys need either and don't mind SGC cards...Would do $38 for either paypal...both have Piedmont backs

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Dave
    Nice job buddy.....Love that Chase!

It's been awhile for me:

Picked this up pretty cheap because the auction had no scan. Pleasantly surprised:

My first Tolstoi back thanks to our friend RayB. Thanks again Ray!

• Nice looking duffy for a 2....these all arrived today...all are Piedmont backs

Damn that O'Leary is sweet!
  • hey t206 board, I've been picking up a few of these in real low grades lately, including the one pictured - this came in a lot from ebay. They we in a padded envelope with no other protection, and all 5 have some frosting around the edges, 2 have cracks in the exact same spot along the right edge. The card looks ok to you all, right? I checked the sellers feedback and he had purcased these cards individually in December and January. No one goes to the trouble to crack and replace PSA 1 commons, do they?image I can scan the rest if anyone wants/need to see more...
    Thanks in advance, Josh

Josh
    Card looks fine to me.....as a matter of fact that's a real nice looking 1.
  • tx LC - these were the others in the lot - you xan see the crack on the right side of the Herzog and the Smith - maybe the slabs had a bunch of weight on them in the mail...image

<< <i>Damn that O'Leary is sweet! >>

Yeah it is. I think I'd be even more excited about the unique color than the condition. That card typically has a much redder background. I don't know that color variations command a huge premium, but I definitely like 'em.

Don't sweat it, jlb. A lot of slabs come straight from PSA with minor flaws like that. Makes it easier to liberate the cardboard inside. image
  • KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Speaking of holders, every once in a while I notice a SGC graded card that does not fit snuggly in the holder while most do. Are some of the cards a little shorter than others or is their a difference in the insert in the holder?
    I'm hardly an expert as I've never submitted to SGC - am kinda thinking about crossing my few PSA cards over, though - but I'm assuming that most of their gaskets are a standard size. However, the cards themselves - especially prewar stuff like T206's - have quite a bit of size variability, which is probably why you sometimes see space in their holders. For more unusual issues, I think SGC will cut the black inserts to provide a custom fit.
  • Those are some nice looking portraits. Any recommendations for a cheap/good scanner that can improve the scans on my cards that are slabbed? That flatbead just isn't cutting it, works great for the ungraded though. As you can see.

• I'm by no means a technical person...and can't even off the top of my head think of the kind of scanner my wife owns that I use..but what I found started working best for me was as soon as I scanned the card and it asked to accept or scan again, I would hit the scan "more detailed" button...seemed like after that it really started getting more defined with the scans.
  • This one will be headed to the house in the next few days...