Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Well it arrived today....

• Maybe it is the smaller size of the scan, but this scan looks better than the previous large scans you showed. The extra large scans may have shown the imperfections in the card too clearly. Nice card!
  • Thanks King. It really looks better in person than I thought...I honestly think it would have about a 75% chance at a PSA 4.
  • Picked these up today...

• Nice cards AMAN.

Does anyone know when you'll be able to add multiple/different backs of the same T206 to the registry?
    Ben

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    What's up, Ben? I've been meaning to e-mail you back. Meeting up for the Cards-Royals series sounds like a great idea. I ran it by homegirl today - on our way to Busch, no less - and she actually thought it sounded like a good idea...provided her and kid #1 tag along and shop or whatever at night. Fair enough, I s'pose.

But, yeah, they should have something like that on the Registry for us back geeks.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I am a PCGS authorized coin dealer and do very, very little with baseball cards. However, back in the late 1980's or early 1990's (I believe it was 1991?), I did assist a collector in buying the unique Proof Christie Mathewson T-206 card out of the Sotherbys sale. For those of you that might have the Sotherby's catalog - this was the lot immediately following the sale of the famous Honus Wagner card when Sotherby's first sold it.

In any event, I submitted this unique Proof Mathewson T-206 to PSA this month and after several weeks of analysis and investigation by PSA, they determined the following:

1. The card has a different placement of Mathewson's cap as well as some other subtle differences with the actual T-206 card. PSA believes the card is likely the "artist's draft" of the final work used for the official T-206 card.

2. The PSA investigation could not locate another example of such an artist's draft known out in the market place for either any other T-206 card or similar vintage baseball card known of that era. The closest thing PSA could locate is a Turkey Red card where the border of the card was slightly different than the regular issue card - but, nothing like this where the actual design was different.

3. PSA believes the card to be "no question" legitimate and authentic BUT, PSA HAS STATED THAT IT DOES NOT GRADE PROOF VINTAGE BASEBALL CARDS and that rule is clearly posted in their terms and conditions. PSA has advised me that "the door remains open" however and if I can present concrete evidence to PSA as to the origin and/or nature of the card, they will reconsider officially recognizing it.

Can any experts of the T-206 series out there shed any light on this unique Mathewson card? It was also suggested to me that I contact Mastros tomorrow to discuss the card, which I plan to do. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide to me and the collector I am assisting with this card.

Wondercoin (Mitch)

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Here is one from today. I'm trying to get my pics to show up with the help of a board member. So I hope this works

• Wow beautiful Johnson! image
  • Mitch,
    Try contacting SGC. www.sgccard.com. I believe they will slab and authenticate "proof" cards. We would love to see a scan.
    Good Luck.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I do not know T206s. But look at this one, should it have a qualifier with it?

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think PSA has a qualifier for what's wrong with that card. image:
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Did i miss something here?

Topps Buyback

<< <i>Did i miss something here?

Topps Buyback >>

Some people want to put that Topps buy back set together. I've seen some
    very strong prices on cards. If it wasn't in a buy back holder the card
    is a $30. Collect what you like.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Where can I get some of those top holders to stick my low grade commons in before selling them? image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I was supposed to get a free one from vintage*investments but.....
  • Fortunately this Matty won't be leaving my hands anytime soon....very exicited to get one that I can keep in my price range

I like it better than the 4. Can't tell from the scan, but it looks like the image is a little crisper.
  • In person, the card doesnt have that weird miscut at the top

EDPG back (but with paperloss)

That is a Sweet Griffith port. Now I know why a few Griffith portraits have changed hand recently. image
    W.C.Fields
  • Guys - I've been concentrating on EPDG backs as a subset. I would greatly appreciate some help on acquiring more. Cash or possible trade for T206 cards considered. Thanks for letting me spam here and hopefully you can help me on my quest.
    RayB

Great looking Cicotte and Griffin!
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys - I've been concentrating on EPDG backs as a subset. I would greatly appreciate some help on acquiring more. Cash or possible trade for T206 cards considered. Thanks for letting me spam here and hopefully you can help me on my quest.
    RayB

Great looking Cicotte and Griffin! >>

RayB,
    Spam warning. I have a Fred Abbott PSA 5 EPDG currently for sale on eBay.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Ray, I have a few. When I get home I'll see who they are. I'll trade and hopefully it will be player for player. I'll PM you later tonight. Joe
    W.C.Fields
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    A bunch of really presentable 1's from our resident eye appeal expert RayB. Thanks Ray.

And one off the bay.

• Here's my latest addition:

Ray, sorry, I don't have any EPDG backs for you...I'm trying to get at least one of each back, and I only have one of those at the moment.

Doug
    Lamont, Those sure are some sweet 1's. Ray does have an eye for his cards.
    This isn't new, but I also like to pick up a few 1's. Enjoy
    W.C.Fields
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Deuces
    AWESOME Cards! I'm dying to get my hands on one of those Benders. Come to think of it I want one of those Tinkers too.
    Picked up a nice lot of PSA 2's early in the week. Here's the ones that are now former 2's - as you can see the wear on the reverses is pretty subtle. I really love cards like these:

And a former SGC 20:

and a one-time SGC 30:

The Schulte had been pretty high on my want list for awhile, so I was pretty happy to finally land a decent one for not a lot of money.
    Steve, As always sweet cards. Looks like you picked up some steals there as
    they all present themselves better than the grade they were. I see you are
    still letting your cards out of their plastic tombs.
    W.C.Fields
    Yeah, it's mainly a storage and enjoyment issue for me rather than any type of statement on the superiority of raw vs. graded collecting. (Though I guess I do get some satisfaction from demolishing PSA holders.) I do keep my more expensive cards slabbed - $250 and up is my general rule of thumb, though that's not a hard-and-fast rule - but there's something to be said for the sensory experience of really handling old cardboard.
    By the way, a belated congrats on that Johnson, ToneD. That card is just sick.
  • The latest...the Chase was a downgrade from a PSA 4, the Hart the lone SL'ger I kept from a lot of 3 I bought...image

• Dave,
    That Hart's a tough one. Congrats!
    Nice cards this week all.
    RayB
  • A few more pick ups in the last week and a half...excuse the Matty I know I already posted it, but now have it through my scanner.

• Dave,
    That Matty's an outstanding 2.
    Congrats again.
    RayB
  • Thanks Ray. You can see the crease on the back...middle bottom right before the word Dist. It barely shows up on the front...I had to hold the card under a light at an angle to notice it. I'm happy with it...pretty presentable as a 2, I've seen worse 3's.

The Huggins and the Arndt are great examples of nice fronts with just a bit of damage to the back....was real happy getting the Huggins as well with the Tolstoi back.

The Rossman and Seymore were example of "buying cheap"....something like $12 each....they will do until nicer examples come along.
  • A couple more that will be headed to the house later this week....these are raw..and obviously beaters...but still happy...Mr. Young will get a seat in the box right next to Mr. Mathewson. image

• One more from the same deal...one of those cards that is ugly enough you could only love it if it were your own...lol

Love that personalize stamp on that Marquard. You need to look for more.
    W.C.Fields
  • A couple different backs that i've added this week.

• ben...how much was that cycle back card? thanks.
  • MD,
    $54.50 shipped. Gonna send it out on my freebie sub.

• thanks. am thinking of expanding my backs collection to include a common with a cycle back.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I dont know where to begin, there have been so many great looking cards displayed on here lately !

This past couple of weeks brought me my first Polar Bear, Tolstoi, and Sovereign backed cards. First is the Purtell which is a polar bear followed by Russ Ford with the Tolstoi back and after that a Jack Quinn w/ Sovereign back. After those three are a couple of other recent pickups.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

Bri, Very nice selection. Keep the cards coming guys. Here's a new one.
    Very small pencil letter "P" on the front, but the card is solid and for $20
    keep marking them cards.

W.C.Fields
  • It is nice to see a little action here after a couple slow weeks. All these arrived today...nothing spectacular, but all the same necessary.

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Holy Crap!!! On the back of the fish wrapper today is a story about a 90 year old man in Illinois that just whipped out a NM to NM/MT complete set of T206'S including a WAGNER and a PLANK card!!!

BTW, he sold his 1951 Bowman MANTLE in a SGC 96 for some large cash!!!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Holy Crap!!! On the back of the fish wrapper today is a story about a 90 year old man in Illinois that just whipped out a NM to NM/MT complete set of T206'S including a WAGNER and a PLANK card!!!

BTW, he sold his 1951 Bowman MANTLE in a SGC 96 for some large cash!!! >>

NO WAY !!

Are you serious about that ?

Does anyone have a link to this guys story ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

This was in the Columbian ( State of Washington) newspaper yesterday. The guy's name is Lionel Carter and he sold the set for 1.6 million.

Included was the Wagner,Plank, and the 51 Bowman Mantle which sold for $165,000. He was a private collector for over 50 years and kept upgrading his T206 set over the years. His sets have been compared to Nagy and Egan's collections.