Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Dave,

Lenox Back; wow! Don't even have one of those myself.

RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Thanks Ray....I'm excited about it. I would like to have one of each of the backs eventually.
  • Here are the latest packages to arrive at the house...I'm anxiously awaiting the Lenox back!

The Hart unfortunately won't remain in my collection....off to the bay with it.
    The Fiene I'm really happy with...first AB for my set registry
    The Congalton has pretty good eye appeal for a PSA 3

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the stamp or mark is on the back of this card??
  • I've seen the stamp before. So in all likelihood it was probably some old timer's way of putting his signature on his collection. I remember that card on ebay...really nice price for a PSA 3 ( I think it was a 3)...and all because of that stamp. Card is very presentable for the grade.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen the stamp before. So in all likelihood it was probably some old timer's way of putting his signature on his collection. I remember that card on ebay...really nice price for a PSA 3 ( I think it was a 3)...and all because of that stamp. Card is very presentable for the grade. >>

Thanks for the help!!
  • added another hall of famer for $100 bucks...

• Both of these finally arrived today.

• KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    I'm finally on the T206 board. My Matty just popped today:

1 04604702 1911 PIEDMONT CHRISTY MATHEWSON WHITE CAP 2

I'll post a pic when I get it.

• This card really strikes me, so I'm happy to have one now. It is only my 2nd HOFer in this set.

Doug
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Doug
    Congrats on the Matty.

A few additions:

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Wow, some really nice additions the last week or so from everyone !

Here are the 6 I picked up this past week or so, all are Piedmont backs except the Ames which is a Sweet Caporal.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

Bri
    Nice pick ups. Love that Dougherty......have to get me one of those.
    Thanks LC !

I do love the contrast of the white Chicago over the dark blue uni's on the Dougherty. It looks striking and a perfect example is that Doc White card of yours ( which is an awesome looking PSA 4 BTW )

I also love that Chase you picked up. Ive been looking for one but havnt found something that nice in my price range yet.
    -- Yogi Berra

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I've been meaning to tell you, Dave, that Lenox Herzog is awesome. I actually think there's something geometrically mesmerizing about the creases. If you're ever thinkin' of getting rid of it...

And, bri and lamont, so many great cards in your previous posts.

I'm still waiting on my big Huggins & Scott win, but did get some nice cards in the mail this week. These two look so much better than their SGC 30's, though the grades were probably fair - maybe a bit harsh on Clarke, which has a faint scratch. The Howell is simply miscut, which I actually like.

And Hindu No. 14 plus a crisp portrait of one of my favorite players in the set:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Yawie, real nice cards. I love that Bergen.

Also, I notice on the Howell where the name is cut off on the bottom it appears on the top. Is that how it worked with these cards ? What I mean is, were they always cut in strips with the same card in a strip one after another like that one obviously was ?
    -- Yogi Berra

I think so. I'd have to search on N54 for some posts from the set's serious scholars or maybe go back and read Scot Reader's e-book, but every top-bottom miscut I've seen has been of the same player.
    Very interesting to find that out.

See, miscut cards can be not only very attractive, but informative too !
    -- Yogi Berra

• Steve, Thanks. I know your the king here of picking up the rare backs. I had to do the BIN on the Lenox or else you would have probably swooped in on it...lol
  • I love that PSA 2 Joss, Scott. Looks like everyone is picking things up as far as buying in the last week or so.
    Steve
    Another awesome Hindu! Congrats.

Picked these up tonight for what I think are very reasonable prices. Both have nice Soverign backs:

Scott

• Thanks Scott. I owe it to this thread for getting me fired up enough to go after the Matty. So, thanks everyone, I think...image

Doug
    Scott,

I love those horizontal cards, nice pickups.

BTW, mind if I ask what type of scanner you use ? Mine is on its way out and its time for a new one. Your scans look great, Id like to check out whatever brand you use.

Doug,

That Mathewson looks great. Superb centering and appeal for a PSA 3.

Whose the other HOF in your collection ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• The latest raw addition. No creases or marks. I'd love it to get a PSA 3, but I'm pretty sure with the paperloss on the back a PSA 2 is coming my way. Anyhow...good example of going after cards with strong eye appeal and minor issues to the back...I'm sure RayB would agree with me on that.

• Just picked up this Tolstoi back off ebay...

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    As always, nice stuff guys! Here are two that I received today:

<< <i>Scott,

I love those horizontal cards, nice pickups.

BTW, mind if I ask what type of scanner you use ? Mine is on its way out and its time for a new one. Your scans look great, Id like to check out whatever brand you use.

Doug,

That Mathewson looks great. Superb centering and appeal for a PSA 3.

Whose the other HOF in your collection ? >>

Brian
    Those scans were from the auction. My scanner isn't nearly as good.
  • Here's my other HOFer. It's certainly far from a Matty, but nice.

Doug
  • picked these up raw at a local show last week -

80 bucks for the lot - any thoughts on the deal?
  • $80 is not a bad deal for the lot. I also think Tolstoi backs are under appreciated and under valued so any time you can pick those up I would.
    Yeah, I think that's a nice lot for $80. The Egan and Hofman have especially crisp images - even if Egan is the ugliest dude in the set.

My big H&S win arrived yesterday. I'm pretty stoked to now have both of the tough St. Louis variations. On one hand I probably overpaid for this relative to other 1's, but I also think it's a lot nicer looking than most 1's. Even better than the SGC 20 that sold on eBay the other day.

• Steve, terrific card. I'm just wondering why it's not in a PSA 2 holder. image
    Nice Demmitt, Steve. What condition would you classify your O'Hara?
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, Great pick up. When you gonna crack it out and send it to me as a surprise gift? image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    Thanks, fellas, but I must say that some doubts about the card are starting to creep in. It really does have the eye appeal of a 2, though I suppose the horizontal wrinkle at the left edge is pretty substantial:

What worries me - and this is coming from one who views tobacco staining on Polar Bears as a beautiful badge of authenticity - is that the front of the card is much cleaner than the back. I suppose that's possible on an unaltered - and I'm using "altered" in the very broadest sense - Polar Bear, but at the very least, I'm guessing this card has been given a bath. While I don't necessarily have a problem with soaking cards in distilled water to remove them from a scrapbook or whatnot, I am a Polar Bear purist who actually would've preferred this card with some tobacco staining. Oh well, I just hope any possible bath wasn't a bubble bath, so to speak.

Oh yeah, I'd say my O'Hara is in good condition, as in 30/2:

• Guys,
    It can not be understated just how rare it is to manage to get both of these cards in a St. Louie variation.

Steve,
    You brought the heavy lumber to the plate with those acquisitions. Gutsy plays on both. You are certainly right to think that both of these are outstanding low grade examples. Especially the Demmitt considering the few that have been offered over the last year have been hideous.
    The O'Hara is special; nice and white and clean.
    My heartiest congrats.
    RayB.
    Thanks, Ray! I hope I'm just being paranoid about the Demmitt. I guess when one makes such a substantial purchase, he's going to hold it up to much greater scrutiny than he would a Frank Laporte. But I've been sitting here ogling it all night and it really is a pretty card. There are some additional wrinkles that don't really show up in the scan, but it's much nicer than what I figured I'd be able to land. The only bummer is that I'm probably tapped out for awhile, but at least I'm doing a decent job of sticking with my strategy of saving up for big-time T206's this year instead of just adding a bunch of bulk.
    Over the time frame that you guys have been collecting T206, what variation have you seen the most/least? Magie, Demmitt, or O'Hara? I'm assuming Magie has appeared the least by a landslide, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion what would be next.

Mark
  • From my own memory over the past year or so....I can only recall maybe 2 Magie's in that time? At least on eBay. Demmitt has seemed to creep up a few times over the past year, but as Ray said, most of those have been pretty darn ugly. IMO, the O'Hara is probably a little harder to come by than the Demmitt...but that's open to debate.
  • nice additions, everyone...especially you steve. I actually bid on that demmitt sgc 20 you speak of. A little too expensive for a not so aesthetically pleasing condition.

and the magie card is a lot more difficult to acquire than either the demmitt or ohara. very rarely do magie's go on ebay...auction houses or private transactions are usually the only way to get them.

• << <i>Thanks, Ray! I hope I'm just being paranoid about the Demmitt. I guess when one makes such a substantial purchase, he's going to hold it up to much greater scrutiny than he would a Frank Laporte. But I've been sitting here ogling it all night and it really is a pretty card. There are some additional wrinkles that don't really show up in the scan, but it's much nicer than what I figured I'd be able to land. The only bummer is that I'm probably tapped out for awhile, but at least I'm doing a decent job of sticking with my strategy of saving up for big-time T206's this year instead of just adding a bunch of bulk. >>

Steve,
    Thinking optimistically, just assume that the Demmitt front was on the side wall of the pouch facing away from the tobacco with only the back exposed.
    With these PB's being packaged that way anything is possible as far as the staining goes. Better to consider yourself fortunate to have a clean front than fret about why it looks significantly cleaner than the back.
    Congrats again, and I have always loved your set building strategy.
    RayB
    C'mon guys, this slipped all the way to the fourth page. Get your wallets out of the mothballs! Nothing exciting, just to get it back to the first page:

Actually might as well post this. Don't have it yet though:

Well-timed bump, Lamont. (And I apologize for being terrible with names, even here in cyberspace. User ID's and avatars is about all I can remember.) I was thinking of this thread earlier today when I realized it wasn't on page 1. All the way down to page 4, though? Shameful!

Anyway, that Ganley looks nice, and I think he's a fairly difficult common. I'd be too superstitious to post the Matty, but I'm sure you're excited about it. I would be, too.

I've got a few new pick-ups but just haven't scanned them. Also won a few on eBay tonight, including a Schulte (Front View), which has been high on my want list for awhile.
  • Nothing overly exciting...but every little beater helps...

• Latest pickup....it's actually now in a SGC 50 holder. Any opinions on what it would grade with PSA?

• Steve, I just saw this thread - congrats on the Demmitt and the O'Hara. They both look great.

As for the Demmitt possibly getting a bath - wouldn't the back also get cleaned up if that was the case?

From what I have gathered, it is difficult, if not impossible, for graders (or anyone else) to determine if a card has been bathed or not. I imagine many Polar Bear cards have gotten baths, and maybe some Red Man cards from the 50s also. I like the Polar Bear backs the most in the T206 set, but I also know the high chance that some (most?) of my cards have gone taken a bath to get to the cleanliness they are in now (all are in SGC holders as I'm collecting the T206 set that way). I had to make a decision whether I was comfortable with cards being bathed. I have never done it myself, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand either. Anyway, I decided that was ok with me for my collection, and that decision allows me to collect Polar Bear backs without worrying about it anymore.

• asphaltman, nice Matty. I think that's a 3/4 tweener. Regardless of the grade, nice registration and image, nice card!
  • finally picked up a hofer - not my usual slab and sorry for the fingerprints but I don't have the energy this AM to rescan after last night's Sabres game...

I think the Matty would get a 4, but that shadow would drive me nuts. I'd hold out for a Matty portrait with better registration.
  • With 2 T206s in today's mail, I just reached 100 unique T206 cards. image

Here's #100:

I also recently picked up my first Old Mill back:

Doug