Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Dave
    Nice pickups!

What does it cost to get a T206 graded? I haven't gone the raw route yet and was thinking about it. When you factor in grading fees do you get some decent buys on raw?
  • Options
    Scott...I generally submit cards under the Set Registry Special...its $13 a card plus shipping...I send maybe 6-8 cards at one..nothing huge. Shipping for the whole lot comes to about another $15. So for the 7 cards I sent in this time, it cost like $105 I think. That paid for itself with one of the Southern Leaguers in a PSA 3 I sold.

These were the two that came back 3's by the way...keep in mind I got all the Southern Leaguers for about $15 each raw...so a decent deal. These two paid for this submission and the next one I'll have going out.
  • Options
    The big thing Scott with going the raw route to remember...and I'm still getting beat now and then, is trimmed cards. Some really seem to measure correctly...but not good enough in the graders eyes. I think if your going to buy raw on a big purchase...ie, a Matty or Speaker or whatever..make sure the seller will take the card back if it doesnt grade.

Ray probably has more advice with this though.
  • Options
    Dave - Good points about raw cards. If a card looks VG or VG/EX and has dynamite corners it might be a reason to be leary. Due diligence is important. Do you trust the seller? Good feedback on vintage and prewar cards in the past? If a seller usually sells used DVD's and all of a sudden has a couple of T206's, be leary. If a card seems a little smallish, be leary. Lastly, if it looks too good to be true for the price; it probably is.
    Believe it or not, eye appeal counts with the graders. If a lower grade example is centered, displays nicely with minor flaws, it may end up in a better holder than you would ordinarily think. Look to approach cards from that direction.

Guys - I have listed some T206's for sale over on the "Vintage Sportscard Trading" Board. The only fair way to give everybody a shot.
    Best of Luck; I will field buy requests on a first come, first serve basis.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Guys.....opinions needed. I picked this Southern Leaguer up on ebay, its an SGC 60....I haven't got it yet so all I have is the sellers scan which isn't great..but, anyone think this would cross over to a PSA 5? If not I'll probably just try selling it off again. I thought it was a deal though...southern leaguers SGC 60 for $205. Seems most go for double that if I'm not wrong....

• Options
    Dave,
    That card looks very strong. I would crack it out and expect a 5. SGC has always crossed well for me. Just my opinion and limited crossing experience.
    RayB
  • Options
    Ray....I'm pretty scared to crack it out thinking it will come back a 4 with my luck...you don't think sending in as is they will cross it if I put down a minimum grade of 5 or nothing? It has an Old Mill back by the way
  • Options
    Your way is quite safe....and it is likely to cross just fine.

The scan is indeed weak but if you believe the card is a strong 5 when you see it in person then crack it out and on a good day there's a slight chance it could 6. That would be a Home Run with this card.
    The downgrade possibilty always exists, but again, judge the card.
    After all, an expert (SGC) in the field of grading has already told you it is a 5.

If this were any other grading company I don't think I would take the chance.
    RayB
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Interesting card I found on E-bay. Thought you guys might enjoy part of Warren's collection. Seriously how did this get through.
    Warren's T-206 Tinker Portrait
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Who knows..almost looked like writing on the slab...I dont see otherwise how it would have got past PSA
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a ton of experience cracking and crossing, but my SGC cards always stayed the same or got a slight bump with PSA. Heck, the grading of that Tinker should allay your fears. If a card with not-exactly-subtle writing on back gets a 4 NQ, your SL'er is probably a 7 or 8.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I asked the owner if the writing was on the card and he said it was.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Ok guys...opinions please...I have this for sale..but in case it doesn't go I'm probably sending to PSA.....anyone think it would bring a 5?
  • Options
    Dave,
    It looks pretty solid. Graded accurately by SGC.
    RayB
  • Options
    Dave
    Looks like a real nice buy. Nice centering, no creasing, the desired SLer back. I say crack it and give it a whirl if you don't move it. At worst I think it's a 4 and at your price you'll still make some money I think.

Congrats.

Scott
  • Options
    Knowing there are a lot of low grade T206 collectors here with us on this thread I thought I would refer you guys to the Vintage Trading Board. I'm selling this Walter Johnson PSA 1 MK.

Back is a Sweet Caporal; Series 150, Factory 649 (Somewhat rare), District 1 State NY
    Some light pencil on back but all red text is clear.

$225 delivered. This is sort of an entry level way to get one of the more expensive cards in the set. Still not bad looking.
    PM or email at aja4rayb@msn.com if you are interested.

Thanks for letting me spam this here to you guys.
    RayB
  • Options
    Anybody else feel like there is hardly any low grade T206's up for auction on ebay the past few weeks...I haven't picked up anything. Looks like SGC cards though are all over the place..man this is depressing. image
  • Options
  • Options
    Picked up both of these last night...have to decide if either of these are worth crossing over as well....

• Options
    Dave
    Nice cards.......you're going high end on me!

Won these tonight:

• Options
    You're on fire, man. I bid on that Phelps and maybe on that Wilhelm, too. Nice cards. And the image on the Waddell portrait looks great.

What's the going rate on SGC 60 SL'ers vs. PSA 5's? Is there that much incentive to cross from SGC to PSA? Unless you think you have a chance at a bump, I'm guessing it's not really worth it.
  • Options
    Steve the Southern Leaguers in SGC 60 can go for as much as the PSA 5's....but it is harder. It's a smaller group of registry guys with SGC so the competition isn't there like it is for PSA 5's. They just have to be "marketed" to the right guys. Otherwise it's a matter of again hoping these two cards can cross into 5 holders. The Lentz is probably more of a longshot....I'm not in love with the centering on it either.
  • Options
    Scott.....your the one on the roll my friend. I've still yet to get any additional cards for the registry, other than a nice upgrade on Unglaub from RayB.
  • Options
    Havent posted here in awhile.

Im too lazy to scan. Stole off ebay. It's the bottom right.

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words Steve and Dave.

Love that card Major.....one of the cooler looking ones in the set IMO, congrats.
  • Options
    Bad scan in the auction so I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Solid 2 with no creases.

• Options
    Yup, That was the one I had bid on as well....good example of how to make a cheaper pickup due to poor scans
  • Options
    This one's nothing to write home about, though I love its color and registration:

And I might have to submit this one just to preserve it in one piece, but I'm still jazzed to add another Hindu St. Louisan:

• Options
    Steve
    Congrats on another Hindu........still looking for my first.

Major
    After I saw yours I had to pick one up:

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

First pick up in awhile. But it is a HOFer with a stamp on the back.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    That Chesbro presents really well...congrats.
  • Options
    Oh man, I hate all you guys...you're gonna send me to the poorhouse!!

Seriously great thread. I've always wanted to own a few T206s and finally got inspired. Picked up a Birdie Cree PSA 3 few nights ago. Can't wait to receive it. I've fought to avoid thinking about this set, but it is just too damn beautiful. You guys should be used car salesmen!! Hooking another poor junkie into your sick tobacco world!! Ha ha.

I will focus mostly on just the Highlander players to start....gotta start somewhere. That Chesbro looks brilliant to me...damn fine pitcher & picture!

I'm already looking (again) around the house for stuff to sell to buy a few more cards....I have REALLY enjoyed seeing all the great scans and info. Keep up the great posts and as always,

Happy Collecting!

Shawn
    Shawn

55 Topps - 26.7% / 5.91 / #67 cf
    hey! I'm workin' on it !
  • Options
    Shawn congrats on your first T206 pickup. Although I had a few T206's before, I started trying to solely collect for the set this past August. It's been great fun trying to make the little pickups here and there and seeing your set slowly starting to take on some sort of shape. I'm still nowhere close to these other guys, I think I"m up to about 8% of the set...that includes raw cards not yet graded. Anyway if you ever need any help with anything let me or for that matter any of these guys know....they are all mostly good guys (unless one of them beats you out on a T206 Jennings portrait in a PSA 2 for $85....ha ha
  • Options
    Guess I caught the bug again. This card presents well even with the pin hole.
    I think $65 for HOFer is a steal. What do you think Dave? I'm surprised Ray
    didn't snatch this one up.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Joe, nice pickup. Had it been $65 for that same Joss in a PSA holder I would have jumped on it. I don't mind a pinhole near as much as creases all over the place.
  • Options
    Joe, nice Chesbro! You mentioned the back had a stamp...what kind of stamp is it? Toy town?
  • Options
    My latest two pickups. The Unglaub thanks to Ray, the Ames has a Sovereign 350 back.

• Options
    King, No its a Baker. I have seen a few with his name on it. Kinda like the
    idea that his name will be mixed with T206's for it's history.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    After following this thread for a while, I think I going to have to jump in myself. I'm trying to refocuss my collecting after realizing how many boxes of 1970's and 1980's stuff I have to move around.

I love the scans...hopefully I'll have a few myself in the next week or so. Probably focus mostly on PSA 1's and 2's with a few 3's and 4's sprinkled in.
  • Options

<< <i>King, No its a Baker. I have seen a few with his name on it. Kinda like the
    idea that his name will be mixed with T206's for it's history. >>

Joe, that's an interesting idea. If I could go back in time knowing that I could collect the T206s, but could not cash in on the profit since I'd likely be dead before the 50s, I'd be happy to stamp my name over as many cards as possible so my name would live on with the T206 set. No better way to outlive yourself than that!
  • Options
    Joe,
    Thats a great looking Joss! Dave's right. Sometimes just a pin hole leaves you with a card that otherwise presents nicely in a 1 holder.
    That cards at least a 3 otherwise.

King - Your name lives on in my book. Maybe I'll stamp a card "King" just for fun! image Stay tuned!
    RayB
  • Options
    My first T206.

• Options
    Blackborder..congrats...it doesn't take much to get hooked...
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Blackborder. Good luck with your endeavor!
  • Options
    Latest to arrive at the house, from RayB

• Options
    This has always been one of my favorite cards in the set and I'm so happy to have one now.

• Options

<< <i>Blackborder..congrats...it doesn't take much to get hooked... >>

<< <i>Very nice, Blackborder. Good luck with your endeavor! >>

Thanks. I thought it might be neat to put together 150 actual "subjects" from the 150 Piedmont series. Since there are actually 155 in the series, you could ignore the Wagner, Plank, and a couple others and still have a "complete" set.
  • Options
    Congrads on the pick ups guys. Everyday it gets tougher and tougher
    to win cards because we bring aboard so many new collectors. But, It's
    great we can generate interest in such a great set. Welcome aboard guys.
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>King, No its a Baker. I have seen a few with his name on it. Kinda like the
    idea that his name will be mixed with T206's for it's history. >>

Joe, that's an interesting idea. If I could go back in time knowing that I could collect the T206s, but could not cash in on the profit since I'd likely be dead before the 50s, I'd be happy to stamp my name over as many cards as possible so my name would live on with the T206 set. No better way to outlive yourself than that! >>

King, We could still do it with some PSA 1's. No loss in value and your name will come up on message boards 60 years from now.
    Title of the Thread, "How many Kings do you have? None. Go fish! image
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

<< <i>
    King, We could still do it with some PSA 1's. No loss in value and your name will come up on message boards 60 years from now.
    Title of the Thread, "How many Kings do you have? None. Go fish! image >>

Lol, that's a fun idea. I'd probably do it with SGC 10 cards though, because they can't go lower than SGC 10 even with a mark. Downgrading a PSA 1 to a PSA 1MK would be tough image