Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    lamontcarter that Leifield looks like an oil painting! That is one heck of a nice looking card!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Christmas present to myself. image Polar Bear back.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    First off happy holidays to all.......just picked thiese up together.....not even at the house yet. Will probably be looking to unload the Shaefer for another portrait that I dont have......soooo if anybody has a portrait dupe or upgrade on their hands and needs the Shaefer...let me know.........both have Piedmont backs Shaefer is 350-460 and Rossman is 350. Solid looking cards for the grades IMO.

• Options
    a few more that came back....
  • Options
    Has anyone taken advantage of PSA's T206 $3 relabeling special? From what I understand, it ends on 12/31 and I think I'd like to send some in. If so, can someone tell me how I should fill the submission form out?

Mike
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Two more recent pickups. My first Cycle back on the Atz. Does anyone have any insight as to when the pop reports will appropriately reflect the T206 variety flips?

Mark

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone taken advantage of PSA's T206 $3 relabeling special? From what I understand, it ends on 12/31 and I think I'd like to send some in. If so, can someone tell me how I should fill the submission form out?

Mike >>

Mike -- I had a bunch of mine relabelled in November. Just put T-206 Relabelling Special in big letters on top of the submission form, and mark it again on the Service Level, under "Other"

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone taken advantage of PSA's T206 $3 relabeling special? From what I understand, it ends on 12/31 and I think I'd like to send some in. If so, can someone tell me how I should fill the submission form out?

Mike >>

Mike -- I had a bunch of mine relabelled in November. Just put T-206 Relabelling Special in big letters on top of the submission form, and mark it again on the Service Level, under "Other"

Marc >>

Thanks Marc,

How do you calculate return shipping and insurance?

Mike
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Ditto on the issue of when can we start registering our T206s with the back variety on the flip. I started a HOF set and 2/3's of the cards I have can't be registered.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I love this topic. the originator of this post Has the passion that this hobby needs!!! He is right on the one important thing! YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!! Spend Spend Spend!! Buy these gems at rock bottom prices right now and hype the heck out of them. Build envy in every one around. That way they know that your stuff is Important, valuable, and dominant!!! Graded T-206's are a joy to hold and represent power in our CollectorUniverse! I would sell any Mantle for any T-206 ANYDAY!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year fellow T206 junkies. Here's my last two acquisitions of '06:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    First AB...

• Options
    Keep them coming, guys! Here's my first EPDG back:

imageimage
  • Options
    Well my first HOF that I'll actually keep for the registry. $45....probably the cheapest of any HOFer to get.
  • Options
    Dave,
    Congratulations on the Wallace.
    In a PSA 1 there are perhaps 6-12 lower value HOF'ers that will routinely sell in the $45-65 range. It demands a little more patience to get them that cheap is all.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray,
    Sounds kind of stupid...I've had HOFers in PSA 5's, a bunch more in 4's that I've sold to gather more money for lower prices purchases...but to finally have the low grade HOF'er specifically for the set (unless of course I find a nice 2 for a good price)...that will remain in the registry it is kind of cool in a weird way. To me yes cards like those that Wabbitwax has been selling that look like 4-6's on the front with minor paper removal on the back are terrific. But I also enjoy the sure enough beater. The Donovan you sold me was actually a favorite of mine....although I did end up unloading it to Trae when I found a Donovan 2 cheap. One of my favorite now in the group is the Jordan portrait I have (should have a pic on my registry)....that I picked up raw for $7, and its a beater.
  • Options
    Dave,
    The answers simple. You're hooked image

I prefer a legitimate PSA 1 with decent eye appeal and an undamged back to the sweet mid grade looking card with back damage. The charm to me is being able to appreciate the whole card; front and back. If that Wallace has no measurable back damage then that's a really nice PSA 1. Once you plug that HOF'er into the set to stay it feels great.
    I've personally weeded a few more of the cards with back damage out of my set for that same reason. I'm a little more tolerant of creases and corner rounding I guess.

This is only personal preference though, and I could completely understand folks who build it within their budget who embrace back damage and it doesn't bother them. Those cards display nicely as well.
    We all need to find ways to buy cards and keep moving towards our goals.
    RayB
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone shed some light on this. I sold these 2 cards tonight:

1909-1911 T206 Bunk Congalton - Carolina Brights

1909-1911 T206 Whitey Alperman

Is there something about that Bunk card? I've sold that card PSA Graded with a Piedmont back and it went for peanuts. I've sold a PSA graded Carolina Brights card before that went for about half that. With it being miscut, I expected about the $15 range for the card. Is it rare or something?

Also, $20 for a trimmed Whitey Alperman. Some common PSA 1's get $10. That one baffles me too but I'm not real familiar with this set.
  • Options
    Steve,
    The Congalton looks like it went for that amount purely on the Carolina Brights back...could be someone putting together an all Carolina set...and not planning on getting it graded or whatever.....they carry a 5x premium anyway.

The Alperman who knows....I do agree that one shouldn't have went that high...always those people though that think they can resubmit something....or maybe think they can get it by GAI even though that one looks obviously trimmed on the bottom.

Dave
  • Options
    I could see that Congalton grading elsewhere or even with PSA if someone spun the wheel again. I think $89 is a decent buy for it.

As for the Alperman, how'd you miss that trim, Wabbit?
  • Options
    Steve,

Thanks for the kind words on the net 54 forum. I am planning on sending them in with about 150 other t206s to be graded. I have not decided which company to go with though. Everything I have is Psa but they are giving no love to us pre-war collectors. Never a grading special. Yesterday, I asked about special pricing for a 200 card t206 lot and I was told that that would not qualify for special pricing. Maybe, I need to scrape up another couple of hundred t206s in vg or better shape. Anyone have any spare change???
    Another issue is I was told yesterday that my November 7th vintage bulk lot that I mailed out in October will not be posted until late January! 3 months! Sorry to vent.
    Anyway, on the Alperman, not all t206s that have odd cuts are trimmed. I have several in my collection that exhibit odd Factory cuts that are not trimmed. I wish I had seen both of those auctions as I would have bid on both of them. I think that was a great price on the Congalton. Carolina Brights are highly desirable.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great price on the Congalton, I guess it was worth that much if people were willing to go higher on it. Also, I wasn't the person that sent these in, I was selling them for a friend of mine. I would have noticed the trim job. But he sent in a lot of T206's so in was probably just part of the whole stack that was sent in.
  • Options
    True that there's some funky original cuts out there, but I don't think I've seen one like that on a T206. Either way, though, I think the Alperman would be rejected anywhere as either trimmed or miscut.

But I still can't figure out the rejection of the Congalton. The only issues I can see in the scan are the missing sliver of the nameplate area, which should have resulted in an MC qualifier not a rejection, and perhaps a slightly irregular shape. But I've seen cards much more trapezoidal in PSA 6 holders even. Who knows, maybe they transposed the labels? (Not that that would ever happen.) I had the Congalton tracked and really thought about bidding but I wasn't sure about the bottom edge plus the registration is very slightly off. Still a good price for the winner, though.

And if there's anything you definitely know you're selling, Martin, I'd prefer raw. Makes great sense to sell some to me first to raise some money for your huge submission. image
  • Options
    Steve,

You are right, the Congalton did not grade because whole name is not on the card. I had a few of them that did not grade for that reason. I learned my leason the hard way. I think you have to request a qualifier on the submission form. Sgc will grade cards that are miscut that way, although it seems they will take a minimum of three grades off!
    If I decide to sell any raw on Ebay, I will email you beforehand. I do have a pretty nice Mathewson Black hat psa 3 and a Young glove showing (which should be back from psa soon, hope will grade a 4) that I will be selling soon.
  • Options
    hope everyone had a great holiday. i was out of town for a week and a half...and a great joe tinker portrait was up for auction that i missed. that's what i get for not keeping a sharp eye out on t206 auctions.

• Options
    Wow, That's a sweet Tinker.
  • Options
    Latest pick ups

Got this one through a trade...has Old Mill back

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    MajorDanby -- That Tinker looks great. What's up with the grade? Is the back torn up?
  • Options

<< <i>MajorDanby -- That Tinker looks great. What's up with the grade? Is the back torn up? >>

Paperloss in the back. Contrary to Ray, I always look for cards with great front eye appeal, but paperloss or writing in the back. These cards are usually downgraded to a 1 or 2. With such a grade conscience hobby, I can get these cards at a great price.
  • Options
    Have to cross them over...and hoping for 2's.
  • Options
    dave....nice hofers. try to get those out of the way, unless you think the market will soften.

BTW, is anyone here interested in forming some sort of email group (e.g. a yahoo group)? Whenever i sell or trade my T206s, i prefer to do it with my fellow T206 collectors from these boards (and net54). I have had positive transactions with both Steve and Ray and would like to continue to sell and especially trade some of my cards as i trudge forward to complete this set. I think it would be great to have an internal email group where each of us can email one another if we have a card to sell or trade. Let me know if anyone is interested in creating such a thing. Of course, it could be a stupid idea...so, let me know either way. thanks
  • Options
    I'd be all for it. I as well have seemingly done quite a bit lately with Ray, Scott, as well as Trae over on 54. Would kind of be nice when one of us have a dupe or moving up a grade to just hit one click and have the card go to the rest of the group here and kind of first come first serve as to who wants what. I've gotten to the point I'd rather sell to one of they guys lately as opposed to even messing around trying to stick something on ebay.
  • Options
    Major - I'd be in on the email thing. I always offer my T206 dupes privately first anyway trying to avoid additional eBay fees.

Dave - Those SGC 20's have a real shot at 2's and have decent eye appeal, especially the Clarke. The spot of paper loss on the back of the Brown and the lettering perhaps overlapping the edge of the card at the bottom front might push that one into a 1 holder, but regardless they still look pretty nice; and they are portraits - I know that's what you are shooting for first.

RayB
  • Options
    great. PM me your emails. I'll start a yahoo group soon. thanks
  • Options
    Major,
    I don't have many dupes right now, but would like to trade as well. Steve (Yawie) can vouch for me. I'll PM my address.

Mark
  • Options
    group started. thanks dave and mark for being the first members!
  • Options
    I apologize for the size of scans here.....pretty excited though with a number of southern leaguers and a common...may end up having to sell one or two to make up for the money for grading though lol
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Major Danby
    I'd love to join the group. PM sent.

Dave
    GREAT looking cards, you are on a roll my friend.

Best regards

Scott
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    count me in on the group.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Dave,
    Those SL's look great. At all costs I would try to keep those, but if you feel like you have to part with any I might be willing to buy or trade for the ones I need. Keep me in mind.
    I am still waiting for a 25 card sub that PSA entered back on Nov. 17th.
    RayB
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up this one raw recently. Is it true that the mis-cuts kinda' have a cult following? You can read the name at the bottom and it is partial along the top.

-Claude
  • Options
    Claude...Nice card and yes sometimes the oddballs can be kind of fun to pick up...but won't really carry any premium IMO.
    I picked up this Chance portrait last night on ebay thanks to Ray pointing it out. In the last two weeks have now picked up four HOF'ers after going a few months with none. Bobby Wallace, Mordecai Brown and Fred Clarke portraits being the others.
  • Options
    invites sent. anyone else?
  • Options
    How many have joined so far?
  • Options
    not sure. 4-6 i think. i havent been able to access this board in the last few days. so, i sent the invites today.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I would be very happy to join such a group.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Courtesy of Dave (Asphaltman). Thanks again Dave!

A few others I picked up from another collector:

My first Southern Leaguer:

Won this on ebay the other day:

• Options
    I also have uploaded scans to my registry.

Phillys Finest T-206's