Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    nice stuff, guys. what percent of the set are you up to now, yawie?

thanks
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I've got 265 different T206's in my "permanent" collection, but I have multiple copies of some players, especially the St. Louisans. So I'm guessing I'm in the 45 percent ballpark. But in terms of value, I'm probably much lower than that since I still need three Cobbs, all the Youngs, not to mention the Demmitt and Magie I hope to add one of these days.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Give it up for Asphalt man! Nice bunch of low graders!

Steve; 245; wow! Nice.

RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Thanks Ray, its a small start, but a start none the less...I picked up that lot in a trade. Here is two more cards I picked up on ebay a couple days ago, both raw, but for decent prices. I'm real happy with the Smith Southern Leaguer with the Hindu back, poor condition, but hard to find SLger's in my opinion with Hindu's.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dave - Nice grab on that Hindu SL. Those are tough in any grade.

Pursuant to previous comments I've made about buying cards that are low grade with nice eye appeal of the image but exhibit tough non-strategic creasing; let me present my latest acquisition.
    This Waddell Portrait has a rough crease on the front that chased some folks from bidding. I call it non-strategic because the crease does not impair the image of the player. There still exists a nice clean portrait image of Waddell. This type of card can usually be won at a significant discount to expectations.
    As a low grade T-206 set builder, in order to be able to afford to get to the finish line someday we need to grab onto some of these opportunites along the way, as well as those where we spend a little more for graded PSA 2 and 3 examples of HOF'ers. If we don't we'll never get there. Consequently I am really happy about this snag. Embrace the flaws!
    RayB

Oh yeah...got the bonus of the Sovereign Back to boot!

• Options
    Ray-
    Congrats on the Waddell pickup, I looked long and hard at it....but in the end, my good looks were only going to pay for so much today. image
  • Options

<< <i>Major, those are some really nice ones. Is it due to paper loss on the back? >>

pittfan..sorry, your question got lost in all of these scans.

Yes, all have paperloss. im not too sensitive about the back. centering and the presentation of the front are more important to me.
  • Options
    The HOF portion of my humble T-206 set is now officially updated to show 60% complete. Still have to pinch myself! image

My T-206 HOF Set

RayB
  • Options
    Well I was finally able to pick up a card of the one player that I've been coveting since I decided to jump into T206. Don't have it in my hands yet but here's a pic anyway. I think GAI was very generous in giving it a 2, but it does have "eye appeal" so I'm happy.

Mike

• Options
    Mikey - Congratulations! The Mathewson was the card that really lit the fire under me with this set. The registration, color and clarity on yours are quite good. In other words nice eye appeal. You've overlooked or downplayed some of the cards other flaws and in turn have landed your self a Mathewson. "A Mathewson". Say that to yourself. "I've got a Mathewson"! Feels pretty good; don't it? image
    Enjoy.
    RayB
  • Options

<< <i>"A Mathewson". Say that to yourself. "I've got a Mathewson"! Feels pretty good; don't it? image >>

You're exactly right Ray. When it gets here and I open up the package, I fully expect the sky to part and shine glorious beams of light on me and the card.

Well maybe not exactly like that, but it should be a sweet feeling nonetheless.image
  • Options
    GAI can definitely be generous - at least at the lower end of the scale - but I think that Matty looks nice for the grade. And I dig the Sovereign Waddell, Ray.

Here are the highlights of my T206 haul for the week. I think all of them were SGC 40's:

• Options
    yawie...so, you have a demmit and a o'hara? any chance i can see a scan of those? thanks
  • Options
    Steve,
    Real nice bunch. EPDG's are my favorite T206 Back!

Here's the closest thing to a name sake I have in the set. image

RayB
  • Options
    Nah, just this one:

A decent Demmitt ended last night but I forgot about it. Just as well, since I've blown a lot on cards lately. Guess I could've sold something to swing it, but I suppose a few surface each year.
  • Options
    Not an O'Hara or Demmitt but these two arrived today:

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Me and my dad have started our T-206 HOF collection after our purchases at the Chicago Sun Times show last weekend. We were able to pick up a Cy Young Glove at Hip PSA 4 (Polar Bear back), Walter Johnson Portrait PSA 2, Fred Clark Bat PSA 2 and a Christy Mathewson White Cap PSA 4 all this weekend. We have a T205 Cobb PSA 3 so we might trade it in on some T206 Cobbs or other HOF's. The Johnson portrait is very nice for a 2. Missing paper on back. I can post some scans if anyone is interested. They were all from the partial set sold at the Louisilville Slugger Museum.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Lets see em!
  • Options
    My latest additions to the monster...
    with EPDG back
    Piedmont back
  • Options

<< <i>Me and my dad have started our T-206 HOF collection after our purchases at the Chicago Sun Times show last weekend. We were able to pick up a Cy Young Glove at Hip PSA 4 (Polar Bear back), Walter Johnson Portrait PSA 2, Fred Clark Bat PSA 2 and a Christy Mathewson White Cap PSA 4 all this weekend. We have a T205 Cobb PSA 3 so we might trade it in on some T206 Cobbs or other HOF's. The Johnson portrait is very nice for a 2. Missing paper on back. I can post some scans if anyone is interested. They were all from the partial set sold at the Louisilville Slugger Museum. >>

how much if i may ask did the psa-3 t205 cobb set you back? i am interested in one for $1500 is that a decent price?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Here are the scans. Let me know what you think

Walter Johnson Portrait, missing some paper on back.

Cy Young PSA 4

Christy Mathewson PSA 4

Fred Clarke PSA 2. Not missing paper on back. Curious grade.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    The T205 Cobb 3 is actually after pulling it out a GAI 3.5 and it was around 1100.
  • Options
    sadly i cant see any of those scans all i see are little red boxes

is your t205 cobb for sale i may be interested you can email me benderbroeth123@msn.com
    my t-205's

• Options
    Hi everyone

Saw some neat postcards today at Barnes & Noble. They are a boxed set of postcards that sell for about $9 and they are vintage stars in their T206 poses. Thought you guys might want to put it on your Christmas wish list!
  • Options
    Most recent pickup.....$30 due to PSA's mislabel......
  • Options
    Does anyone have a scan of a new flip from PSA on a T206 with the back shown? I'm thinking about sending some of mine in to get reholdered...

Doug
  • Options
    My first hall of famer. Won it for $94 too which I think is a really good deal. Centering is nice, I'm hopeful it presents well.

• Options
    Nice looking 3 lamont. Picked up my first cycle back today
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dave
    Nice job on the Mordecai and Cycle back. Here are a couple more I picked up today:

Didn't pay $85 for this, looks like the guy i bought it from might have got it from Shoeless Joe's. I picked it up for $50 delivered.

My first Old Mill Back

• Options
    Picked up a couple EPDG's last week.

A new favorite of mine.

• Options
    i dont see a name on the middle one who is it?
    my t-205's

• Options
    The middle one is Jack Powell.....I had a really nice PSA 5 Powell about a month ago...but had to get rid of it for cheaper cards. Here are two I picked up tonight....competition was stiff, no great deals to be had.
    Milligan has Polar Bear back and was an upgrade from a 2 to a 3
    Piedmont 350
  • Options
    Any of you guys with the set registry had any issues registering the new T206's with the labled backs?
  • Options
    I'll tell you what; I'll be darned if I can find the flaw on this one. Even looking at it real closely it still looks like a 4 or a 5 to me. Aside from having really nice eye appeal this card has a stunning image and color.
    Had to share it here.

RayB

• Options
    Ray-
    That's the best looking 2 I've seen! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of scanner do you have? I need to upgrade mine since it has a hard time scanning graded cards.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike - My scanners an old Compaq I paid less than $100 for 6-8 years ago. It came with Presto Page Manager software which seems to produce really nice scans. Along with a DPI feature that you can adjust size of scan it also has an LPI feature that allows for print quality scans. I think those extra lines per inch slow my process down a lot (scans seem to take forever to pass over) but the result is pretty nice. Scan with the lid up for a nice black backround.
    RayB
  • Options
    Ray
    That's probably the nicest 2 I've seen. Here's one I won tonight. My first card of the famed double play trio:

• Options
    Scott,
    That Chance looks real nice. Keep it about eye appeal on those low graders and you'll be real happy with it as time passes as well.
    Congrats.
    RayB
  • Options
    Ray
    Thanks for the kind words. I agree it looks really nice and as long as there are no bad creases that I can't see (a possibility since the scan kind of sucks) I'm going to be happy as hell because it's centered really nicely. I couldn't agree more regarding presentation. I'll take 2's like yours (and hopefully mine) all day and not think twice.

Scott
  • Options
    Picked up this "ghost image" last night
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I use a HP Scanjet 3970. I like it so much that I'm going to buy the exact same model when I need a new one. It was like $75 or so.

By the way, here's a nice PSA 2 that I have:

• Options
    Steve-
    Don't know if its your scans or you just have great low grade cards to begin with. Couldn't be happier with the Dessau PSA 2 I won in auction.
    Sorry to repost.....by the way this is still Steve's scan, haven't had time to scan in myself yet.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Well, the cards are really nice to begin with. I bought my own website, steveewel.com, to host my pictures. It's only like $9 a month to own the site and the picture quality smokes that crap that ebay gives you for free. My buddy who owns the T206's sent me 15 more to sell. I'm going to start them tomorrow. They are all PSA 1's and 2's of the same quality.

I'm actually am buying a nice card off him. Anybody have an idea of what this would grade?

• Options
    hmm, T205's are hard to tell from scans because of the color of them and its hard to see any defects. just looking...i'd say a 4
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Nice Cobb. Without back damage I would guess a 5.
  • Options
    I'll guess trimmed.

Good stuff, Ben. Where'd you nab those St. Louisans with quasi-tough backs?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Sheckard!
  • Options
    nothing pretty here.....but for $7 had to pick it up for the beater set....
    imageimage
  • Options
    That's a well-spent $7, I think.

Back to that T205 Cobb: Maybe it's just me but the top border seems to slant up from left to right while the bottom border slants down in that direction. Maybe it's an irregular factory cut, but there's just something about the card I don't like. I'd only buy it on the condition that it's guaranteed to be assigned a numerical grade - and that's coming from one who's come to largely disdain third-party grading.
  • Options
    O/T......but, for the guys here that are also over on the "other' site....isn't this much more pleasant lately here? lol