Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    Any opinions on the huge number of high grade T206's in the latest Heritage auction? It's been awhile since I've seen that many cards in a single auction.

What a great action shot...

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    WOW, what a great set this is.... my first T206....

Thanks for this thread.... I'm hooked!

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Great start, dude. I've been hoping for a Magee for awhile now, but they typically fetch a decent premium relative to other common portraits.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    262 - Nice Magee; I find myself particularly drawn to those olive green backround portraits.

I picked up this PSA 1 card this week. Paid a couple dollars more than the typical PSA 1; can't beat the eye appeal on it though. Sorta looks like a 3. Has a pretty clean Polar Bear back as well.

Like I said in the very beginning of this thread; slow semi regular progress will have you waking up one day to a pile of good looking low grade cards from this set. It's been a 2 card week for me this week and I am very happy with that.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    McGraw Portrait No Cap scan as promised. As I have tried to build this arguement for enjoying the low grade angle, I've tried also to show that anything PSa 3 and below still has great potential for sparkling eye appeal. This McGraw is just another example of a well centered, blazing color, and sweet image low grader.
    Enjoy.
    Anyone have anything (T-206) new this week to share?

RayB
  • Options
    Great scans. I just finished rewatching the Ken Burns Baseball documentaries and it was great watching the first couple of discs (through 1920) and hearing the stories of the some of the T206 players. Makes them seem more personable and less like "old dead guys on cardboard". Particularly liked hearing about the nuttiness of Rube Wadell and nervouseness of Johnny Evers. There were some real characters playing ball back then. For those that haven't seen the films in a while, I highly recommend giving it another look.

Mike
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Speaking of good looking lower grade cards, this has got to be the nicest PSA 3 Cobb red I have ever seen...

ebay link
  • Options
    Jon,
    For whatever reason, PSA seems to be particularly tough on Polar Bear Backs. Spots of tobacco staining/residue are often evident especially on the back, but I would agree. That Cobb is a blazer.
    I expect it will be bid up accordingly.
    RayB
  • Options
    When will we have a thread on the 1997 Pinnacle Press Plate Preview 1 of 1's - the other Utimate set?
    Anyhow you T206's all rock !!!
  • Options
    Just in todays mail... my next addition.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    OK Here is my contribution. I have had this for several years and paid minimal for it.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    I had a fantastic T206 week...

My first Cobb:

A Lajoie portrait:

An admittedly rough, but nonetheless coveted Hindu Waddell:

A couple other cards for my St. Louis front-back collection:

Can't forget the Matty:

And a card in terrible technical condition, but which still looks really nice:

Oh yeah, and another American Beauty back, which is one of my favorites - probably the Grateful Dead association:

And I'm actually still waiting on the week's marquee card. Hopefully it comes tomorrow.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, guys. Nice Tinker, 262! Nice job on all those tough backs, Steve! Two recent pickups below for me. I purchased the McLean off of Steve. Thanks again!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    yawie...wow! nice...must have been an expensive week.

Got this from Steve Hart.

• Options
    anyone know how shorter piedmont back cards can be?
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    That Clarke looks better than a 2.
    Paper loss on the back?
  • Options
    Costly indeed, but much of it was in trade, which is always nice. Of course, my E92 Dockman effort has officially bit the dust. Just as well, I guess, since E93's are my main caramel focus, plus the E92 images can be found on lots of different caramel series.
  • Options
    Finally was able to scan in some of the first cards I've picked up for my "set".

-Mike
  • Options
    A few of my scraps from last week.

• Options
    Great bunch of cards guys! More solid proof that the low grade cards can look astoundingly attractive!

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Bender Portrait and Tinker Bat On last night. (Scans will be added here when I get them in). This allows me to break through the 50% barrier on the HOF content in my set. (Separate Set in the Registry available for those that were not aware of it).

RayB
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    RAY - congrats on passing the 50% level of the Hall Of Famers, thats pretty impressive...jay
  • Options
    nice, Ray. congrats on the card collecting feat.

nice cards, everyone.

if anyone wants to do a trade, ive got a griffith portrait i want to move. psa 3 (mk). PM me if interested. only trades. thanks
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
    For Sale: 1909 T206 Ty Cobb Bat Off Shoulder Tolstoi Reverse (rare) PSA 3 VG

SOLD
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys!

I love looking at all of your cards and thought I would add my two to the mix:

Although collecting T206s isn't on the top of my list, I still keep an eye open for Cardinals/Browns players. While my "loyalty" is to PSA, I really like how these cards display in SGC slabs. I guess I will have to decide if I want to cross one over to the other someday. The Howell has some minor paper loss on the back but is amazing on the front (it was an Ebay purchase from Yawie a while back).

Enjoy!

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    This came in yesterdays mail.

Card has an amazing front, some staining and minor paper loss on the back. I think this is a great way to build this set with great looking cards. I try not concern myself with the backs, Its the front of the card that I'm most interested in.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I like that SGC put the proper manufacturer on the flip, makes it easier to tell rare backs if there is no scan of the back.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the Howell, Byrne, and Davis look VERY nice for the grades given...
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I have some more T206 cards and after looking at these, it reminded me of this thread in regards to a card looking nicer than the grade. PSA is too brutal on back paper loss. This PSA 1 has paper loss and the PSA 2 doesn't. Which would you rather own? Also, my cards are mostly Peidmont backs and I have 1 Carolina Brights back and 1 Polar Bear back. Which is the rarest and do they sell for a premium?

• Options
    Welp,
    I got in these two cards over the weekend to officially update my Base Set to 39.31% and my HOF set to that magical 50% plateau!
    It is all still sort of eerie to me to have achieved these levels with this set. I am humbled, for sure.

It all proves to me what a patient low grader pursuit of nice cards can produce if you can widen your horizons, reduce your expectations and not let the overall enormity of it deter you.
    Enjoy!

RayB
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Here is my contribution. I've had the card for a while now, but can attest to how some low grade examples can be outstanding. The card has glue residue in the back but can barely be seen unless you tilt the card directy under a light. No creases or wrinkles anywhere. The card currently resides in an SGC 2 holder. Great thread and I hate to think of how many great cards I passed on just because of the grade. Never again. image

P.S. I hope I attached the file correctly. My first time attempting this.

• Options
    That's a sweet looking Green Cobb! Tone D, you should be proud of that one! That's a lifetime keeper.
    RayB
  • Options

<< <i>I have some more T206 cards and after looking at these, it reminded me of this thread in regards to a card looking nicer than the grade. PSA is too brutal on back paper loss. This PSA 1 has paper loss and the PSA 2 doesn't. Which would you rather own? Also, my cards are mostly Peidmont backs and I have 1 Carolina Brights back and 1 Polar Bear back. Which is the rarest and do they sell for a premium?
    >>

There's a lot of good information here:

T206 Museum

Short answer:
    Piedmont backs are the most common of all backs. The only rare Piedmonts are from the 350-460 series, Factory 42.
    Polar Bear backs are also very common, but usually sell for a slight premium -- maybe 10-20% more. Polar Bear are the only backs that were packaged with scrap tobacco, so they were often stained.
    Carolina Brights are the rarest of the backs that you mention. They do sell for a premium. The T206 Museum says 2X. I cannot verify this, as I have not been pursuing these. There are other backs that are even tougher than the Carolina Brights. For example, Lenox, Broadleaf 460, Drum, Uzit and Ty Cobb.

Doug
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    As for the Carolina Brights back, the premium I think tends to also be a function of the grade. A PSA 7 Carolina Brights back will *not* sell for double a PSA 7 Sweet Cap back. But a PSA 2/3 Carolina Brights back very well may sell for double a PSA 2/3 Sweet Cap Back.

There are some players on the Carolina Brights back checklist that seem to be harder than others [for those players for whom a Carolina Brights back is possible], so there can be specific premiums paid for certain player.

That said - if your Carolina Brights back is a Philadelphia Nationals player, please let me know, as I would love to buy it.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    The Abbott was last weeks eBay pick up.
    The other five cards are self submitted. Nice raw cards I picked up over the last 2-3 months on the Bay (The Leach was cracked out of a GAI 3 holder; crossed nicely; also has an Old Mill Back). All of the cards graded out as expected. A pleasing result all in all. Enjoy!

RayB
  • Options
    That Donovan portrait is one of my favorites in the set.

Here's my recent pick-ups. The first two aren't too exciting, though it's always nice to add to the St. Louis and EPDG collections...

Then there's my major addition of probably the last few months, an O'Hara St. Louis variation. It's not in the Doyle-Wagner-Plank ballpark, but it's still a pretty tough card.

And I apologize to those who frequent N54 for posting the same card on two different message boards - I don't know why, but that bugs me - but I'm pretty excited about this card. Now if I can just find a Demmitt (St. Louis).
  • Options
    Excellent cards Ray and Yawie.

Ray, interesting that you would happen to show the Leach now. I'm currently reading Lawrence Ritter's book, "The Glory of Their Times" and just finished Tommy Leach's chapter. It's only the second chapter but I can safely say that this is BY FAR the best baseball book I've ever read. Highly recommend.

-Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    I read "Glory...", a few months ago and found it miraculous that Ritter was able to still be able to sit down and chat with so many of these guys, so many years later. It really gave me a personal attachment to some of the guys in the set. Read on, you're gonna love it.

Steve,
    Congrats on that O'Hara (St. Louis), it's a key variation non the less. There is a Demmitt on eBay now with clipped corners in a GAI AUT holder if you can stomach that sort of thing. Best of luck acquiring that one at some point too.
    I love the EPDG backs. I have a few and would like to get some more.

RayB
  • Options
    Yeah, I see that Demmitt for sale from time to time, but I'm trying to avoid merely "authentic" cards. Obviously that one was clipped long ago and wasn't intended to deceive modern collectors, but I'll hold out for a 1.5/2 kinda card. I figure the O'Hara would probably get a 2 because of light surface wear - maybe a bit better with GAI, which seems to be a bit more lenient at the low end of the scale, though I have noticed some grade inflation across the industry.

And, yes, The Glory of Their Times is an absolute must read for pre-WWI collectors. One of these days, I'll get the CD companion set.
  • Options
    nice cards, everyone

i just acquired this. i have a psa 3 version of this card....and they look practically the same. so, i decided i could save 30 dollars by going down a grade but not lose absolutely anything in aesthetics. gotta love this market!

• Options
    Major,
    Sweet Jennings!
    PM sent.
    RayB
  • Options
    Todays mail..... WOW was I excited to get this. My First Cobb, Ever! This card looks just as nice in person. The color is amazing for a 3.

More to come.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards guys. I'm broke and jealous!!!!
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    262...my first cobb was the red portrait as well. actually, that was my first t206....reason why i got into the set.

are you going after the entire set? or just a subset of it?

thanks
  • Options
    I plan on slowly trying to put together the entire set.... one card at a time. No hurry, if it takes me 10 years or more, that would be fine with me.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    After reading this thread I was inspired, and so I did some reading and clicked on every link that was provided here and tried to learn as much as I could before I made my first purchase.

I don't make the big bucks so I am going for low grade and high eye appeal. After getting beat down on ebay several times, I finally was able to purchase my first card. I may have made a mistake and paid to much, but at least I have my first card under my belt. I bid $24.95 plus $2.50 for shipping for a PSA 1, but the scan of the card looked like it met the criteria.

Please let me know what you think and please be honest. If I made a mistake I don't want to continue making the same one over and over. Anyway here is the card:

imageimage

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Ya done good. I'm sure paper loss is a deal breaker for a lot of collectors, but I think the front looks fantastic and the paper loss on back isn't all that obtrusive.
  • Options
    I agree with Yawie - The color on the front is dynamic, the image appears to have good registration. The paper loss (main reason this card received a PSA 1) on the back is minimal and doesn't materially destroy the beauty of the text on the back. I also agree that back damage will chase a lot of folks off a card and yield an opportunity.
    As a low grade collector, something's gotta give. We have to expect and overlook certain flaws to both be able to afford cards in this set and still get cards with nice eye appeal.
    It's quite ironic really that one's first T-206 card should be "Bliss"! image
    Congratulations!
    RayB
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>It's quite ironic really that one's first T-206 card should be "Bliss"! >>

I didn't think about that image

I like the look of the card and I think the color and the corners look good for a PSA 1. If I could purchase cards that look like this I would be very satisfied. I am by know means an expert at grading, but I do think that the front has the "look" of a higher grade card.

I can live with the small amount of paper loss on the back. Thank you for your comments.

Rick

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Bunker - That card (based on the small scan) looks like it has PSA 5/6 corners. I'm actually a little surprised, even with the paper loss, that PSA didn't squeeze that into a PSA 2 holder based on eye appeal.
    You should, almost never, expect to see corners that good on a PSA 1, but it's mostly about image. If the image is really sound I think that's what makes up a nice low grade addition.
    I also think you are really going to enjoy this journey. You will pinch yourself after you've accumulated some cards and say" I can't believe I own these"! It really is magical "bliss".
    RayB