Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Thanks for the kind words as always Doug.

Scott
  • i just got 2 more t206 cards and one is hall of famer EDDIE COLLINS!!! I am so happy about the eddie collins one because my name is EDWARD and i am starting a huge project called the ED, EDDIE, EDWARD PROJECT in wich i get one card of anyone in all 4 sports with that name prior to 1972 cards. (one of each player not one of each player in every year..i could never afford that!!! lol)
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • nice recent additions, everyone.

i've been MIA for a few months now. a combination of moving and topping out on my budget given the magie purchase strains the wallet. I'm happy to say i have been card purchase free for 2 months!

• << <i>nice recent additions, everyone.

i've been MIA for a few months now. a combination of moving and topping out on my budget given the magie purchase strains the wallet. I'm happy to say i have been card purchase free for 2 months! >>

good to see you back..i am in a similiar situation..and are you a better person since those last 2 months?
    my t-205's

• Congrats on the Eddie, Edward! That card is a great choice for your Eddie collection.

Doug
  • thanks doug i am sure i will be dead by the time i finishg the ed, eddie, edward set...lol
    my t-205's

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    i haven't been able to pick too many up lately but got this one in a trade and i'm happy with it.

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Was happy to pick up this Frank Chance with a tough Hindu back recently...

image, image
  • My latest pick up and first Tolstoi.

• Very nice cards everyone!!!!!!!!!

Scott
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Love that Mattern, man! It's one of my favorite portraits and that one's just sick looking with a cool back to boot. That Hindu Chance is no slouch either.

I'm on a partial buying hiatus myself. Not totally cold turkey or anything but have been trying to replenish my savings account after breaking the bank to renovate the exterior of our house. Did win a Wiltse portrait out of the batch that yielded the Mattern, though. I doubt I'll restart the set or anything, but might start a small portrait collection or something.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I hadn't been posting for a while as my focus had shifted away from the T206 HOF set I was working on. I seem to lose focus when a project doesn't involve Boston National. So I sold off most of my HOF cards and have begun working on a Boston T206 super set with as many front/back combinations as possible. My best guess at this point is there are approximately 174 possible. I have 24 to date so there is a long way to go.

Great looking Hindu Chance!
  • nice chance and mattern

<< <i>and are you a better person since those last 2 months? >>

i think so. it shows i have a certain amount of will power. I really needed to cut down on my spending, so i am glad i was able to be auction free for awhile.

i'll probably end up making a few more purchases the next few months, largely low scale. looking for mattern, dahlen and rucker portraits. also, probably will pick up a non HOF T3 and one more addition to my HOF set.
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    a friend just gave me a beat up hal chase..what can i say i still love it..ha ha
    my t-205's

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    A few new pickups. The Howard is kinda crappy but it's a PB back and a card that you don't see as often as others. I think there might be a guy that buys all the Howards that show up on ebay so I grabbed this one when I saw it at the Philly show. It will be fine for me as I have no desire to go against a Howard collector. The Schaefer has a nice SC 350-460 overprint back.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Best,

Scott
  • Either Spike Shannon was related to Rocky Dennis or the artist drew him on a Monday morning after a rough weekend.

• Nice cards Scott, I especially like the Leach and Smith. Steve
  • I have decided it was time...

so I took the plunge and bought a bunch of the T-206's read Scott readers book, and felt like prices have come back to a point where they are somewhat affordable.

I have 140 of them going to psa on monday. so here are a few I already have.
    imageimage

Won at Mile High...

imageimage
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
    Wow, nice bunch of HOFers there! I just got this one. Shag's one of my favorite SL'ers in the set. Tough back to boot:

imageimage
    Oh my god, dude. Whaddya want for it!?!
  • Just a EPDG last week in the mail. Came across the 1887 OJ this weekend at the local card show. Couldn't pass it up for $50.
    I don't know jack about that set!

• AMAZING CARD "Go Steelers" unreal shag!!!

Word is several people are hoarding the card, it is becoming tough to find in any grade...

SWEET SHAG>>>>>> If you ever want to sell it to cover "stock losses" PM me!!!
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
    Go Steelers and IJLC's I am drooling on my keyboard......GREAT cards. Now back to reality everyone, more of Scott's crappy commons as the quest continues. This batch puts me at 352 PSA and SGC graded T206's.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • scott...keep them coming. i'm living through you and every other member on this thread vicariously. Get me through the end of this year!!

cant....bid....on.....huggins...and...scott....t206s..................................
    Major

Thanks for the kind words. A few more that just arrived. The Revelle slid up the holder and it seems as if some of the back is flaking off. Not happy about it but what can I do.

imageimage
  • Scott,

Send SGC an email with a copy of the scan showing the damage. They have a good record of working with people when their holder has damaged the card from what I have read on other forums.
  • Sorry for the bulk of this post, but I finally got caught up on scanning in all my cards. Here are some of the recent purchases I have made on my quest for the Boston National Super Set.

*Edited to add: The Ferguson AB was purchased from a board member and I greatly appreciated his help with this purchase.

• neato!!! though i think that one sweeny card just might be trimmed.
    my t-205's

• Bender,

American Beauty backs are slimmer than common T206's. I won't swear it's not trimmed though the very reputable seller I bought it from assured me it wasn't. It is being sent off for grading this week and I will let you know the result when it comes back.
    abravefan

Great cards!

You are right, AB's have some funny cuts. I do not think that card is trimmed.

Congrats again and GO FIGHTIN' PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Scott and others; Great stuff here. Sometimes I forget to visit because I do so little with PSA anymore.
    I love the low grade stuff with nice eye appeal as I've mentioned many time before.
    I even forget how to post scans here. I'll give it a try now.
    Here's some recent additions to my EPDG quest. 88 different now.
    Always looking for low grade EPDG's.
    RayB

How do I get those scans to show up in the post?

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Ray,

I'll tell you how to post your scan but it will cost you that Dahlen EPDG.

I upload my pics to a photobucket.com account and then just cut and paste the img tag into my post. I believe there are a couple other ways to do it but have found this to be the easiest for myself.

Tim
  • Thanks. Knew I was missing something.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Glad it worked.

I'll PM you my address for the Dahlen.
  • A recent purchase:

Stillers

GREAT cards!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations.

Ray

Good to see you around. You really started me on my quest. Awesome cards.

Another thought on Abravefan's post and the funny cuts of cards with American Beauty backs. I bought this card a number of months ago at the Reading show for $45. It also has a strange cut but because of the AB back I thought it might be good so I grabbed it. Finally got around to submitting it to SGC at the last Reading show and my grades just popped today................SGC 80!!!!!!!! I'm psyched. Definitely my best raw card purchase. I'll post a scan in the holder when it arrives. I'm pretty sure I am going to trade/sell it. It just doesn't fit into my armpit collection and I'd rather trade it for more cards to add to my set. There are only two SGC graded Willets with AB backs and this is the highest graded at this time. No idea at this point on value.

Best,

Scott

imageimage
  • Scott,

A PSA 6 Willett AB No Frame sold in July on Ebay for $255.99

Congratulations on the find.

Tim
    Hey Tim

Thanks for the price update. I really appreciate it as I don't have a VCP subscription.

Thank you again!

Scott
    IJustLoveCards...keep those HOF'ers coming...they're great!

Beautiful Willetts, as well!

Are you guys on the respective registries? If so, what are your set name(s)?

Mark
  • More Boston National pickups. I'll limit me upcoming posts to tough backs only. I don't want you guys to get sick of seeing the same fronts all the time.

The Herzog (Boston) is one of the great cards of the set. I really need to replace the one I once owned.

Great job on the Willetts, Scott. Very few AB's reach the 6/80 or higher level. I'm guessing it'll fetch $300-350, maybe more if there's a Whale Fight. I'm pretty sure at least one of the cetaceans has been snapping up upper mid-grade T206's with tougher backs.
  • "I'm pretty sure at least one of the cetaceans has been snapping up upper mid-grade T206's with tougher backs. "

This is true. I got brow beat out of a Cycle back PSA 5 recently by one of them. I tried to way overpay and still got beat. However Scott said he had sent the card into SGC. I don't think he will get their attention if the card is in a non PSA holder. It should still sell for far above what he paid for it, but it may not realize the number it would in a PSA slab.
    abravefan

Great cards, agree wholeheartedly with Steve on the Herzog...........it's a classic.

Some recent pickups including the Willetts in the holder. The Gandil has a Sovereign 460 back.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Scott you are a MACHINE!! The Willetts is impressive and cudos again on the great find.

Here's my latest pick up from Huggins & Scott.

2 recent raw pick ups that fit into my low budget, but i like them

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

that star is one of my favorite 206 cards, very cool looking card.
    Fred

• Hello,
    I'm not a novice, but am very far from being an expert on T206. What are people's opinion of the Topps "Buyback" cards of T206s, they have done it about 4 times with 3 different products.

If you bought one, would you leave it in the "buyback" container; would you dismantle the card in order to submit if for grading; or something else?

I pirated a couple pics from ebay auctions to post as examples. Also does anyone know if Topps used a system when they inserted these cards? Did they take one full set? Did they just get a random pile? What is the most valuable T206 anyone has ever seen in the buyback format?

Thank in advance for the info. Samples below...

Farm

I think it's a matter of personal preference on whether you would remove the card or leave it be. You could certainly crack them out and submit for grading. One thing you have to be careful of is people putting fake cards into these "buyback" insersts and you actually chose a great example to prove that point.

That Wagner you chose is a reprint. Look at the type of the Wagner Bost Amer compared to the others. Just be careful.

Best,

Scott
    BraveFan,
    Nice Lindaman! I think you got that for a fair price, too. If you're ever interested in moving it, I would be interested...

Mark

<< <i>Farm

I think it's a matter of personal preference on whether you would remove the card or leave it be. You could certainly crack them out and submit for grading. One thing you have to be careful of is people putting fake cards into these "buyback" insersts and you actually chose a great example to prove that point.

That Wagner you chose is a reprint. Look at the type of the Wagner Bost Amer compared to the others. Just be careful.

Best,

Scott >>

Wow, man. I wonder if that's Topps' cluelessness or someone else's dishonesty.