• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    a few additions:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Nice Lundgren, man! Even though I'm not working on the set, that's a card I still wouldn't mind owning.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You both are going to make me too embarassed to post my PSA and SGC 1's and 2's. >>

What?! Just a few very nice HOFers, tough variations, and a SLer! Great stuff, Scott. The Evers and Lundgren in particular look outstanding!

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words Steve and Doug. The Lundgren image is really crisp and the card is crease free. Paper loss on the back makes it the 20 it is. I think I made a deal tonight for a Dahlen Brooklyn version so I can knock another tough variation off the list.

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    Great additions Scott!

Things have beens slow for me lately. I've been watching auctions but there hasn't seemed to be any value. A lot of auctions closing much higher than the number I set as my max.
  • Options
    My latest addition:

• Options
    You're on an incredible run, Bravesfan -- nice Evers!

Doug
  • Options
    One of my new favorites:

• Options
    That's a beautiful card yawie. It's examples like that one that get my ADD all worked up and make me want to branch out from my T206 HOF quest. I practice restraint for now though and forge ahead.
  • Options
    Terrific Hindu, Steve! I'm still looking for my first one!

Doug
  • Options
    I just purchased a scanner and will be rescanning all my cards. Are there any suggestions, tips, etc, for getting and posting good scans?

Here's my latest purchase, not scanned by me. I should have a better pic soon.

• Options
    MajorDanby I almost bid against you on that Lajoie tonight. I held of at the last minute. Great looking card!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I just purchased a scanner and will be rescanning all my cards. Are there any suggestions, tips, etc, for getting and posting good scans?

Here's my latest purchase, not scanned by me. I should have a better pic soon.

image >>

Another nice HOFer, Bravefan. image

For scans, I typically use 150dpi, then reduce the size of the scan later. For PSA slabs, I open the scanner lid to get a black background. For SGC slabs, I still leave the scanner lid open, but put a white sheet of paper on top of the card to get a nice white background. (My scanner lid doesn't shut perfectly with a slab inside.)

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>One of my new favorites:

image >>

Awesome card Steve..............Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a beautiful card yawie. It's examples like that one that get my ADD all worked up and make me want to branch out from my T206 HOF quest. I practice restraint for now though and forge ahead. >>

Funny you say that, as I think my hobby ADD contributed to me conceding defeat to the Monster. I think a good number of T206 victims give up because they get sick of buying so many commons, but that wasn't really the issue for me. It was more a case of there being too many cool pre-war cards out there and so many ways to approach just T206's that my overall effort on the set kinda collapsed.

So now I'm just going for the St. Louis team sets, but even with that limited scope I have little sub-projects: rare backs, all possible front-back combos of at least one of my favorite players, double names/name on top, and so on. I know some people dismiss the set because the overwhelming majority of the cards are readily available, but I gotta give serious props to those who stick with it to completion.
  • Options

<< <i> MajorDanby I almost bid against you on that Lajoie tonight. I held of at the last minute. Great looking card!!! >>

I was surprised I won it. It's a great looking card...and I got it for under what most PSA 4's have been going for in the last few months. Maybe the usual T206 PSA 4 buyers are saving up for REA? This is my first lajoie...and happy I got it! Scan below

• Options
    Major you definitely got it for what I considered to be a great price but I'm no expert by any stretch. Still learning for sure. With that being said, why do you think that card didn't get a better grade? The corners look much sharper than the usual wear I see on PSA 4's, the centering is good, and I don't see any creases or marks? I would have thought it would have gotten a min of 4.5 from what I can see in the scan.

I would love to hear your thoughts MajorDanby.

Also I read a lot about trimmed cards. What exactly does that include and what keeps it from being qualified as an altered card in some cases?
  • Options
    i would think there is a spider wrinkle or some light crease that is not detectable on the scan. i'll let you know once i get the card.

and trimmed cards are usually detected and labeled as authentic. but, as past history has shown, trimmed cards can get past the grader...regardless of the company (SGC/PSA/BVG/GAI). and i am sure you have read this, but just in case...here is a nice tutorial on detecting alterations on cards

detecting alterations
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have been having alot of fun watching you guys post some of your t206's , so i decided to add a scan or 2.just picked up this great looking 1
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Definetly a nice find Steve!
    Congrats.
    You got all the good stuff!

• Options
    That's a fantastic 1!

Doug
  • Options
    Hankcaddy,

That's a great looking card.

Congratulations!

• Options
    Geez guys what's going on? This thread was on the 3rd page!!!

What happened to all the people who were posting in the early days of this topic? Have they all been defeated by the Monster or moved on to other sets?

I've made a few purchases recently but have yet to receive any in the mail. As soon as I do I'll be posting the scans.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    You guys really have some nice stuff here...I always love reading this thread. Here is my latest pickup:

">'Slow' Joe Doyle
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post:

• Options
    Nice Doyle! I just picked mine up recently as well.....they are tough to come by.

I have picked up a few cards recently, just been too lazy to scan them.
  • Options
    agreed...very nice doyle.

an update on the lajoie: I got it the other day. The cause for the downgrade is a very light crease starting at the left border to the "V" in "Cleveland." Really hard to see unless you put it under a lamp. Very nice card that will likely not leave my collection.

btw...anyone here want to cobid with me on Lot #244 in REA? I am interested in only one of the cards. PM me if interested. thanks
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE DOYLE INDEED,

just got this in the mail today, nothing super special but fits nicely with my collection
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    I've recently purchased a Rube Waddell PSA5 (My FAVORITE card to date!!!!)
    Chief Bender Portrait PSA 4
    Roger Bresnahan Portrait PSA 4

I look forward to posting the scans of these cards.
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Here's my first T206 in a while...

Doug
  • Options
    Is it just me or does anyopne else feel that Ebay auctions on HOF T206's have been closing higher than what one would expect them too lately? Just curious if anyone else feels the same or if it's just me?
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541

<< <i>Is it just me or does anyopne else feel that Ebay auctions on HOF T206's have been closing higher than what one would expect them too lately? Just curious if anyone else feels the same or if it's just me? >>

I think that most T206s in the VG to EX range are selling for more on eBay lately. Southern Leaguers in particular seem to be selling higher to me. Commons are also higher, as well as HOFers.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me or does anyopne else feel that Ebay auctions on HOF T206's have been closing higher than what one would expect them too lately? Just curious if anyone else feels the same or if it's just me? >>

I agree. I have either lost or had to pay more than ussual the last 2 weeks. The only exception was last night (Sunday). I was able to pick up a decent Al Burch, fielding PSA-4 for $49. I still can't figure out how that one got by everyone.
  • Options
    I just paid $108.00 including shipping for a T206 Shaughnessy that may grade a SGC 30 if I'm lucky. Had to have it though. It seems to me that prices have been gradually rising since the beginning of the Febuary.
  • Options
    Nice cards everyone. Picked up a few cards recently including these two tough commons:

imageimage
  • Options
    Just got one of my recent purchases in the mail.

• Options
    very nice bresnahan. a lot better than the grade.
  • Options

<< <i>very nice bresnahan. a lot better than the grade. >>

Major I felt the same way. When I got it I compared it to my other grade 4's and it is in better shape than any of them. I am still very very green at grading cards but I can't figure out why this card would be the same grade as the other 4's I have.

Now is when I wish I had someone knowlegable that I could put the card in their hands and they could show me what I am missing, or tell me that I'm not missing anything.
  • Options
    Might be a tiny surface wrinkle only visible under a loupe......beautiful card nonetheless!
  • Options
    Do any of you guys have a loupe you use? If so where can I get one and are there different magnifications or types?
  • Options
    There must be some kind of PSA conspiracy against Bresnahan portraits. I cracked this one out of a PSA 4 holder a year or so ago - not so much because I thought it deserved a better grade but because of my distaste for PSA.

I submitted it to SGC last month and it came back a 5/60, which is a more accurate grade, I believe. Of course the real T206 highlight of the invoice was this card, a new back type for me:

By the way, abf, lemme know if you ever get tired of owning that Bresnahan. I could use a Piedmont 150 of that card. I have a bit to trade right now.
  • Options
    Every week the bidding on ebay seems to be getting stronger. I had several strong bids in, and only won one T206 (barely) last night. Some of the bidding seems nuts. I noticed a PSA-1 O'neil sold for $45 with several bidders. There were a couple of PSA-2 O'neils in Ebay stores for $50 each. I guess no one looks at the stores before bidding top dollar.

By the way Yawie, I love that Dineen broadleaf!!!
  • Options
    My latest two additions arrived in the mail. The Waddell is my favortie card to date. The colors in this card are great.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    that waddell is very sharp. real nice
    that may be my next one to go after, i usually lurk on this thread and pick out the cool looking cards and then look for them, like i did with the clarke.

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Love those Broadleafs...very nice Waddell, too!
  • Options
    My latest pickup...haven't seen too many Polar Bear backs this clean.

image,image
  • Options
    Great Hulswitt, man! I had it tracked, but didn't bid because I need a big honkin' scan on anything with that high of a grade. Looks like you did well, though.

I had an SGC 60 Polar Bear Barbeau arrive today but I still need to open the package and scan it. I'm pretty excited about it, as you really don't see as many 5+ PB's as you do other backs at that grade.
  • Options
    Great additions lately, everyone. That is an exceptionally clean Polar Bear, and the Broadleaf is great!

Bravesfan, you've been absolutely smoking on the HOFers -- your recent pick ups are excellent.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Great Hulswitt, man! I had it tracked, but didn't bid because I need a big honkin' scan on anything with that high of a grade. Looks like you did well, though.

I had an SGC 60 Polar Bear Barbeau arrive today but I still need to open the package and scan it. I'm pretty excited about it, as you really don't see as many 5+ PB's as you do other backs at that grade. >>

Looking forward to seeing that Barbeau, Yawie...Thanks for the kind words on the Hulswitt, guys...it's one of my current favorites!

Mark
  • Options
    Latest pickup...1st Old Mill.