Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Doug
    I did the math in doing it in 4 and just knew I had to tone it down. I wish you all the luck with it and hope all of us can stick with it. There's only a few of us left on this thread that are still actively adding cards.

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I've been a little slow adding cards and scanning my few additions, but I'm still at it. Picked up a couple of new SL'ers this week:

Both SGC 40's, though I cracked the Hart out. I actually think it's a much sharper card than the Revelle...so I wouldn't worry too much about numeric grades, Doug. Trust your own eyes, not the graders'.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

Nice cards everyone. Steve, gotta love those big borders on that Hart. It seems to me that the market for Psa 5s and 6s have dropped quite a bit lately. Maybe not a bad time to pick up some of those cards. I just got a Psa 6 McCormick pretty reasonably.
  • Options
    Yeah, I love the dimensions of that Hart. It's actually cut a bit narrow, but the top border is huge.

I don't usually bid on or even follow PSA 6 auctions but I noticed some commons only go for their $139.99 opening bid last night. Some of it might have been, uh, uneasiness with the seller, but still. Does seem like a good time to buy those mid- to upper-mid-grade cards. Too bad I'm broke right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad I'm broke right now. >>

I think most of us are around this time of year.
  • Options
    Steve
    Awesome cards as usual. The amount of Hindu's you have is crazy. I'd love to have your collection!

A few more low grade commons. The nice thing about these 4 is they all have clean Sovereign 350 backs. I got them all for about $19 apiece:

imageimageimage

And some others:

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Great pick-ups, Scott. That's a great deal, and with Sovereign backs too!

Another nice Hindu, Steve. I still don't have even 1!

Admittedly, I do get into the numeric grades sometimes more than I should. There are obviously some cards that present much more nicely than their numeric grade. Also, I've seen a lot of cards that are overgraded in my opinion. I have some 4s in this set that after seeing them in person seem overgraded by 1 or 2 grades.

Doug
  • Options
    Hope you all have a safe and happy Holiday Season. I'll be back after the new year.

Take care and it's been great to get to know you guys.

-Eric
  • Options
    That's just it, Doug. There's so much eye appeal variability in the grade tiers at which most of us collect that one really has to focus on the card more so than the number. Still, as one who's about to submit his last few PSA-slabbed cards to SGC, I can certainly appreciate the neurotic pull of consistency. We collectors are obviously a curious bunch.

Anyway, I'm now at 17 Hindus, which isn't too bad, though I'll probably forever be haunted by the George Davis I let go during my great T206 sell-off a couple of months ago. Even though it was pretty rough, the back was nice.

And I may be broke right now but that certainly hasn't stopped me from at least thinking of buying cards. I've been considering actually having a T206 strategy for 2008 instead of my usual totally random approach to collecting. I don't even know how long I'd last with a quota method, but I've been thinking of maybe just one or two new T206's or month so I could hopefully concentrate my budget on Hall of Famers. Or maybe just limit my purchases to Hall of Famers or commons with tougher backs.
  • Options
    Steve - I've changed my strategy as well. I've been getting into T3's and now am ::gulp:: thinking of going into e300s. That means ive got to tighten my T206 budget.
  • Options
    T3's are amazing. I've been wanting one for quite some time and actually have a few tracked right now, but I'm afraid that once I have one, I wouldn't be able to stop. Then again, I've also told myself, No new sets! I've been able to stick to that one pretty well, but I recently picked up my first T205 in ages and forgot how much I liked them.
  • Options
    Steve...please dont get into them...I have enough competition already. I actually started this set a year ago. Left because I thought collecting D304s were cooler. Left D304s and went to '15 CJs. Left '15 CJs and now im back at T3s. And they are about 25% more expensive now than they were a year ago. It is simply ridiculous how expensive these cards are relative to how plentiful they are.

and as an edit...T3's with the SGC slab are spectacular.

recent purchase

• Options
    A few additions to get this to the top. A couple nice 3's, a deuce and a beater SLer.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Love the clarity of those 3's, Scott. And I'm guessing something's wrong with the back of the Crandall since it just looks so much nicer than the Molesworth, but I guess that's not unusual down in our grade range even without back issues.

One of my many card superstitions is to let a package "marinate" for a day or two before I open it. Improves the condition of the card inside, ya know. However, I could only let this one sit a few hours before I had to tear it open:

• Options
    Steve
    Just an amazing card........congratulations.! I read your post on Net 54 about acquiring it via trade which I also agree is pretty cool.

The Crandall has no paperloss, I just think the Molesworth is overgraded. It's interesting that you brought up a comparison of the two because it goes along with an observation that I've come to recently. I seem to find a lot of Southern Leaguers that appear to be overgraded by PSA. I wonder if for some reason PSA is more lenient when grading them? I don't have a logical reason why that would be the case but that Molesworth is a 1 all day long IMO.

Scott
  • Options
    Thanks, man! It's pretty cool to finally have an Uzit. Now I need a Drum. Hopefully a St. Louis player, as well.

Hmm, I never thought about the grading of SL'ers, but you might be on to something. One of the worst PSA 4's I've ever owned was a Charlie Fritz with an obvious coast-to-coast crease through the central part of the card. In fact, the card was in PSA 2 holder when I bought it, but I cracked it out to include it on a regular invoice becaue it's holder was so thrashed and it was cheaper to have it graded again than it was to send in a reholdering invoice of just one card. Anyway, I agree that the Molesworth was very generously graded - not even sure if it would muster a 20 with SGC. Still, I generally pick up what I can when it comes to Southern Leaguers.
  • Options
    Totally missed that the Uzit was a St. Louis player.........you must really be psyched!

I'm with you on the SLers......I just pick up what I can as long as it's not a total beater. I got the Molesworth for about the price of a 1 so I'm cool with it.

• Options
    Congratulations on the Uzit, Steve!

I have been going crazy buying T206 the last few weeks, and am finally getting my new cards added to my registry set:
    The holder for this Fred Clarke is dirty -- it looks worse in the scan than in person.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug
    Sweet pickups. The Willis looks really nice.

Scott
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I just picked up my 1st T-206, Bill Bradley--portrait , a nifty PSA 5. My new goal for this year was to start this collection , looking for 5-to 6 a year. This is a nice start. Next up ---- Kitty Bransfield, PSA 5 or better.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just working the b's to start?? probably as good a strategy as any other...
    nice to see you got your 1st

kool
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just working the b's to start?? probably as good a strategy as any other...
    nice to see you got your 1st

Actually I've started a major project of collecting the cards in the THE GREAT AMERICAN BASEBALL CARD FLIPPING, TRADING , AND BUBBLE GUM BOOK. It was a great book when I was younger. Kitty Bransfield is the other T-206 in the book. I still plan on get going on this set and if 20 cards come before him, so be it.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added this southern leaguer
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I need to pick up a few PSA 1s or 2s for the CU Birthday Club members. Anyone have extras that they need/could sell as a package deal?

PM me or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com with lists of available cards. Thanks guys! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    latest one

• Options
    Is that the nicest 2 I've ever seen....I think so. Is there a surface wrinkle you can't see in the scan?

Congrats Major on a great card!
  • Options
    Faint paste residue on back? Whatever the case, that's a nice Willis. I love cards like that: a grade-killing, but subtle flaw on an otherwise striking card.
  • Options
    Wow, I certainly agree -- that card looks incredible for the grade!

Here are my most recent pickups:

Doug
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Guys, still looking for some of those cards that you've upgraded from (PSA 1s, 2s, 3s) for the CU Birthday club members. I've got PayPal cash ready to send! image

Ideally, I'd like to pick up quite a few decent looking 1s or a few 2s. Please PM me with what you guys have or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com. Thanks!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    the card has a light crease from the top to the bottom of the card. Not easy to catch.
  • Options
    Sorry, Arny, I don't have any duplicate 1s, 2s, or 3s...Who is the lucky guy with the birthday? I knew I should've joined that thread!

Doug
  • Options
    Here's my latest pick up!

Doug
  • Options
    No posts for a while, thought I would give it a jumpstart.. Just got these back from sgc
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beckett.com has an article about a find of 550+ Sweet Caporal cards from a single collection, including a Wagner:

Beckett Story

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>Beckett.com has an article about a find of 550+ Sweet Caporal cards from a single collection, including a Wagner:

Beckett Story

Tabe >>

I saw that. What a find indeed.
  • Options
    Cool story. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It will be fun watch the Wagner at auction.
  • Options
    two recent pickups

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice cards everybody!

A few recent pickups, nothing exciting. The Donlin has a cracked case and the Alperman has a qualifier although I don't think it was listed as such on the Net 54 B/S/T forum. The seller edited the card out when I agreed to buy it so I couldn't go back and see how he listed it. I decided just to keep it because the image is nice and it's centered well.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Bump from page 3. Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Options
    I haven't been getting many T206's lately, but here's a nice one that arrived in today's mail!

Doug
  • Options
    Hey, kids! Nothing really new for me, but I did get an invoice back from SGC last week that had these two on there:

I had a good feeling the Demmitt's grade would go from PSA 1 to SGC 20, but a 30 was a great surprise. I had given the O'Hara a good grade on my spreadsheet so I was fairly confident it would land the 30, but it's always a relief when a major card comes back with the grade you wanted.
  • Options
    steve...nice one on the demmitt. purchase it raw?

Here is my most recent addition.

• Options
    Nice Young! I can't believe I still don't have any Young cards from the set.

I bought the Demmitt as a PSA 1 in Huggins & Scott last spring. The O'Hara was raw when I acquired it in a trade for my a bunch of E92's about year and a half ago, I guess.
  • Options
    Outstanding Demmitt and O'Hara!

Doug
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

well i saw this card on this thread in oct and loved it. i finally found one to pick up and i'm thrilled.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Great Clarke! Since it was mine you saw in October you have to trade me that one! Your two looks better then my 3. Here is what I have been up to lately. A little distraction from T206.

• Options
    the clarke does look good it has a slight crease on the top and some clear glue residue on the back but you can barely see it, the corners are really nice as well.

what other ones do you have so i can see what one i want next?????????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options

<< <i>the clarke does look good it has a slight crease on the top and some clear glue residue on the back but you can barely see it, the corners are really nice as well.

what other ones do you have so i can see what one i want next????????? >>

You really can't go wrong with any T206! Here are my latest additions:

Doug
  • Options
    DOUG YOUR RIGHT!!!

does anyone have any psa or sgc 1-2-3's available????
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>does anyone have any psa or sgc 1-2-3's available???? >>

I take it you just want graded? I've given up on the Monster and have a bunch of f/g through vg/ex raw cards that I'm trying to sell.