Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I really like the look of this Bowerman I just picked up...

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That Bowerman is what a T206 should look like - nice card! I finally scanned the Polar Bear Barbeau I mentioned last week:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    that Bowerman is real nice!!
    congrats, there are some very nice looking T 206 cards, aren't there?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    That's a very nice Barbeau, Yawie!
  • Options
    Wow first T206 in a long time. The prices seem to be going up and up in the 3 and 4 area. Picked up my first Sgc. Have always liked this card.Myers only

• Options
    anyone get anything from REA or Mastro? I tried to get an O'hara (SGC 20) from REA. In the end, it went over for what i wanted to pay. I also was looking at the Magie PSA 1 in REA...but 7000+ with juice was just too much for me.

I should have bid on the Demmitt/O'hara lot, as i thought it went below value.
  • Options

<< <i>anyone get anything from REA or Mastro? I tried to get an O'hara (SGC 20) from REA. In the end, it went over for what i wanted to pay. I also was looking at the Magie PSA 1 in REA...but 7000+ with juice was just too much for me.

I should have bid on the Demmitt/O'hara lot, as i thought it went below value. >>

Danby...
    I had the O'Hara and Demmitt on my watchlist, but they ended for too much coin for me. I would really like to get either the O'Hara, Demmitt, or Magie, but I just don't have the discipline to save for one without blowing it on other nice cards in the meantime!

Mark
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541

<< <i>anyone get anything from REA or Mastro? I tried to get an O'hara (SGC 20) from REA. In the end, it went over for what i wanted to pay. I also was looking at the Magie PSA 1 in REA...but 7000+ with juice was just too much for me.

I should have bid on the Demmitt/O'hara lot, as i thought it went below value. >>

I didn't win any T206s on REA or Mastro, but I did end up with one big purchase at Mastro. I won the N162 Beecher SGC 70! I ended up pretty much focusing on that, and made very few other bids. I would've liked to bid on the Demmitt/O'hara lot, but the Beecher took precedence this time.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>

I didn't win any T206s on REA or Mastro, but I did end up with one big purchase at Mastro. I won the N162 Beecher SGC 70! I ended up pretty much focusing on that, and made very few other bids. I would've liked to bid on the Demmitt/O'hara lot, but the Beecher took precedence this time.

Doug >>

Congrats on the pickup!
  • Options
    abravefan11abravefan11 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    That's a great pick up Doug. That card is beautiful. Congratulations!
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I have a complete goose egg from REA and Heritage. Amazing closing prices on many of those listings. Maybe PSA may have to bump some trend values after those results.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words -- I think I'll be very happy with my Mastro win.

Hopefully I'll have some T206s to scan soon, too!

Doug
  • Options
    One of my REA pickups:

I've been a fairly devout armpit collector for some time, but I gotta say that high-grade T206's are pretty awesome.

I think I want more.
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Hi guys, this thread fell to page 3 so I figured someone better post. I have been busy putting up pics to the new V2 registry. It is so much easier now. It took me a while to figure out how to get the front and back on the same pic, and keep it down to a size that V2 would accept. Finally figured it out, unfortunately this set is going to take a long time. A lot of cards to do! Still have not finished the "A"'s. I estimate this will be an 8 month project.
  • Options
    Wow, Steve -- outstanding card! Are you going to liberate that one from its holder?

I haven't been on the boards much lately, but I have picked up several more T206 recently.

Doug
  • Options
    Nah, in fact, I'm now looking to add more 6's and 7's. Or should I say 80's and 84's. I've kinda come full circle on grading now that I've switched allegiance to SGC. There's still something to be said for the sensory experience of handling old cardboard, but it just makes hobby sense to keep most of my stuff graded, since cards come and go often from my collection.

That Jennings looks really nice, by the way.
  • Options
    Thanks - the corners are soft on the Jennings, particularly the upper left. But, I don't see any obvious wrinkles in the slab -- it looks great for a 4 to me.

I'd be curious to hear how your perspective on grading has changed. Good luck on those 80's and 84s! I have heard that the prices on them are soft right now, so maybe now is a great time to go after them, if you can.

Doug
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Great cards everyone!

I haven't scanned a load of pickups recently. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because I doubt people really want to see mostly commons in SGC 10 - 40 slabs haha.

I did however realize tonight as I was looking at my spreadsheet that I'm now at 267 graded T206's which puts me at just slightly over 50% complete..... pretty cool. I have 20 of the 40 possible backs. Nothing overly rare. 77 of the cards are graded by SGC ranging from 10 to 50 and 190 PSA's ranging from 1 to 5. 11 SLers and 37 HOFers so lots of $ still to be spent. A few of the tougher variations like Dahlen Brooklyn, Lundgren KC, and Browne Washington.

Its been a lot of fun buying and trading with many really nice folks. I'm undaunted and still fully intend to complete this thing minus the Big 4 probably. I've managed to stay disciplined and not jump into any other sets or into type collecting. I've gotten to the point where a lot of the cards that show up on ebay or the Net 54 b/s/t board are ones that I already have so when one shows up I need it makes it all the more cool when I can grab it.

Done rambling......

Great night everyone.

Scott
  • Options
    Congratulations on what you've accomplished so far Lamont. I too have been lazy lately in scanning and posting my T206 pickups. Unlike you however I have been distracted with other sets that have taken a lot of my time away from the T206's.

Again congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations, Scott -- that's outstanding! image

Doug
  • Options
    Tim and Doug

Thanks for the kind words.

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    finally got one!

• Options
    Outstanding, Major -- congratulations!

Doug
  • Options
    Very nice Major. Saw it on the B/S/T but I couldn't pull the trigger on that big a ticket. Congratulations on getting one of the big ones. Now I really don't want to post any of my cards.
  • Options
    Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww! Way to go, Noli!
  • Options
    I promised myself not to add to this thread until a) I read through all 60+ pages and b) I had a picture to post.

I've loved reading and seeing the pictures on this website. I hope to get my scanner fixed to post my most recent buys that have yet to arrive (8 commons and a HOFer)

My collection consists of...
    16 PSA graded
    6 SGC
    3 GAI
    10 BVG
    9 Raw (5 worth grading)
  • Options
    welcome aboard, farm! Keep the posts and scans coming.
  • Options
    Noli

congrats on an AWESOME card!!!!!!!!

Farm

Welcome!

Hope all my T-206 friends are well and enjoying the summer.

Just picked up a new scanner. Too lazy to upload all of my recent pickups but here are a few.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, Farmkidd -- that's a big commitment reading through this whole thread!

It looks like you're collecting a bunch of HOFers -- are you focusing on the HOFers?

edited to add:
    Nice pickups, Scott. Those look absolutely fantastic, especially for the grades. Congratulations on getting a Lionel Carter!

Doug
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    those pittsburgh cards are really nice looking, i love the red and blue sleeves on the unis
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Thanks for the "welcomes"

I guess I will bust out some newbie questions.

1) What are some of the more common ways of finding graded T206s? (ebay is obvious and I live close enough to NYC that I can attend the card shows at White Plains and Hofstra) I am just looking for some other avenues, but you don't have to reveal all your hobby secrets.

2) How do some collectors here store or display your graded cards? Cardboard boxes, custom cases, etc.

3) Do the slabs "wear-out" either from handling or from exposure to light?

Thanks,
  • Options
    eBay's the obvious avenue since there are always T206's ending, but if you have the cash on hand or can cobble together a group, you can find nice lots in the auction houses. If you're working on the set, lots are great way to go. Depending on the contents and size of the lot and on the auction house, you can sometimes get cards at a bit of discount relative to buying them one by one on eBay. I won a few T206 lots in Huggins & Scott, kept the nicest ones and sold off the ones I wasn't real crazy about, which further reduced my cost per card. Here's a link to Old Cardboard's schedule of upcoming auctions: http://www.oldcardboard.com/calendar.asp.

Others can probably help you with storage and display issues. My cards are unceremoniously stored in an MJ Roop case. They're now out of business, but you might still be able to pick up strikingly similar cases. I think someone here found a site that had them.

As for the slabs, I don't think light harms the plastic, but I also doubt that the plastic prevents UV rays from potentially harming the cardboard inside. I'm not certain about that, but prolonged exposure to sunlight is no good for any paper collectible. Lastly, they will scratch if you're not careful. I'm super-neurotic about those kinds of things, so I'd get yourself a bottle of Novus #2 plastic polisher. Works well for buffing out minor scratches on PSA slabs. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well on SGC's plastic, which seems a bit more scratch-prone than PSA's.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    yawie, dont you find Novus #2 removes the big scratches, but leaves tiny ones?

i even have the fine polisher one and still, its not perfect...and i use the cloth they provided...

i agree, the SGC slabs scratch and show (due to black) imperfections much easier, and the BGS slabs forget it, they are scratched up the day you get them back and nothing fixes them....
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the "welcomes"

I guess I will bust out some newbie questions.

1) What are some of the more common ways of finding graded T206s? (ebay is obvious and I live close enough to NYC that I can attend the card shows at White Plains and Hofstra) I am just looking for some other avenues, but you don't have to reveal all your hobby secrets.

2) How do some collectors here store or display your graded cards? Cardboard boxes, custom cases, etc.

3) Do the slabs "wear-out" either from handling or from exposure to light?

Thanks, >>

Farm

1) Besides the auction houses and dealer websites there are 2 vintage baseball card forums that have fairly active buy/sell/trade boards. Here are the links:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/

http://vbbc.forumotion.com/index.htm

The vintage sportscard trading board here doesn't get much T206 action.

2) I basically keep my slabbed cards in boxes. Someday I hope to display them some how but haven't figured it out yet. Many people on these boards have great displays. Here's a link to a company that makes wall hanging display cases that people say are pretty good:

http://www.pennzonidisplay.com/index.asp

3) While the slabs won't get damaged by light a card will definitely fade if exposed to direct sunlight so if you are going to display your cards make sure you keep them out of the sun. The cases above do not have UV protected glass.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    It's actually been awhile since I've had to buff a PSA slab, so I really don't remember how Novus fared with different scratches. I bought a package on eBay that included the spray cleaner, fine and heavy scratch remove, #1-3, respectively, I think. The #3 has more abrasive particles in it but even it wouldn't take out the scratches on those truly mangled slabs one receives every now and then. (How in the world do they get that way in the first place? Do sellers play with them in the sandbox or something? Are they just total klutzes who drop them all the time? I don't get it.) From what I remember, the depth of the scratch seemed to really determine how well one could remove it. Novus isn't perfect, but it saved my OCD butt quite a bit in reholdering fees.
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to upgrade their set, I have 43 PSA 7's ending on eBay tonight with a few Southern Leaguers included in there. Just click on the link below!

43 T206 PSA 7's for sale 6-22-08
  • Options
    It's so much better when you spam your $700 PSA 7 commons through PM.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF any are interested please see my post on b/s/t
    selling my t206

thanks for your time
    hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    A few new additions:

imageimage
  • Options
    My first Sovereign 460:

imageimage
  • Options
    nice nap, scott!
  • Options
    Nice cards Scott, keep slaying the Monster. Your resolve is inspiring.

Speaking of Naps, Major I still remember the one you picked up where I was the underbidder. Surface wrinkle or not, that was a beautiful card. I have lots of cards, but sometimes it's the ones that get a away that you remember most.
  • Options
    That Cravath is one of my favorite cards in the set for some reason. Nice cards, everyone!

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>That Cravath is one of my favorite cards in the set for some reason. Nice cards, everyone!

Mark >>

Agreed. I think it's a combination of the sky and the way he wears that cap. The dude was pimp before there was pimp. Actually Lajoie has a pretty nice style going, too.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the Sovereign 460, Scott!

I haven't posted in a while, so here are my latest over the last few weeks:

Doug
  • Options
    I caught this from another thread. Are any of you T206 collectors familiar with these date stamps?
    Link to thread
    Link to thread with the cobb card date stamped
  • Options
    interesting. i have never seen a date stamp on a T206. Typically, the stamps I have seen on the back of T206s are of names.

and tim...i still dont know how the nap with bat was graded a 4. there is a likely a surface wrinkle i cannot see.

and here's my most recent pickup

• Options
    I saw a date stamp I believe exaclty like that on a card from a different set but in the same few years of issue. It was shown in a recent post on Net54. I've tried to find it but haven't been successful so far. If I run across it I'll post a link.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, yet.
  • Options
    Doug
    You have a nice eye......great cards bud!

Major
    Love the Donovan. Saw that on ebay and thought about trying to upgrade mine. It looks great....congrats!

Scott
  • Options
    The Donovan's such a great card. I'd really like to own another one of these days.

Here's my big arrival for the week. It's not a real strong 3/40, but I was pretty much buying it for the reverse: