Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>does anyone have any psa or sgc 1-2-3's available???? >>

I take it you just want graded? I've given up on the Monster and have a bunch of f/g through vg/ex raw cards that I'm trying to sell. >>

Steve,
    How come you have decided to quit working on 'The Monster'?

Mark
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I guess it mainly comes down to my lack of patience and hobby ADD. I'm not totally abandoning T206's, as I still plan to work on the St. Louis sets and collect a few other favorites. But in looking at my spreadsheet and checklist the other day and seeing how much I've spent and how much farther I had to go, I decided to throw in the towel. It wasn't completely a snap decision, but something that had been brewing for some time. There's just too many other cool cards out there for me to devote so much energy and money to one issue.

Besides, I don't consider myself an investor - though I guess we all are to some extent, like it or not - and have neither the hobby knowledge nor the impeccable timing to be a flipper, but I enjoy the buying/selling/trading aspect of the hobby as much as the owning part of it. I'm finding that I like a lean, mean collection with frequent rotation more so than a big collection with quasi-permanent sets. I guess many collectors focus on the question "How many more cards do I need to complete this set?" while I've started focusing on the unfocused question "How many cool cards can pass through my hands before I land what I really want?" And, of course, what I really want changes all the time.

That's probably a rambling, inarticulate answer to a simple question, but I hope it makes some sense.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess it mainly comes down to my lack of patience and hobby ADD. I'm not totally abandoning T206's, as I still plan to work on the St. Louis sets and collect a few other favorites. But in looking at my spreadsheet and checklist the other day and seeing how much I've spent and how much farther I had to go, I decided to throw in the towel. It wasn't completely a snap decision, but something that had been brewing for some time. There's just too many other cool cards out there for me to devote so much energy and money to one issue.

Besides, I don't consider myself an investor - though I guess we all are to some extent, like it or not - and have neither the hobby knowledge nor the impeccable timing to be a flipper, but I enjoy the buying/selling/trading aspect of the hobby as much as the owning part of it. I'm finding that I like a lean, mean collection with frequent rotation more so than a big collection with quasi-permanent sets. I guess many collectors focus on the question "How many more cards do I need to complete this set?" while I've started focusing on the unfocused question "How many cool cards can pass through my hands before I land what I really want?" And, of course, what I really want changes all the time.

That's probably a rambling, inarticulate answer to a simple question, but I hope it makes some sense. >>

Well, if you ever change your mind about keeping the Demmitt and O'Hara...I'm interested!

Mark
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    yawie
    no not just graded, i have raw cards as well that i hope to get graded later. what do you have?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    got this recently. thought i got it for a good price...or maybe t206 3's are trending downward too??

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Major
    BEAUTIFUL Cobb!

I'm embarassed to post my recent pickups but I continue to forge ahead with a low grade set. I will not let the monster defeat me.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Some more pickups. I've also started buying SGC graded cards. The holders are really nice compared to PSA's. Being an avid reader of the Net 54 forum, I have given in to the SGC bias there!

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    and a few more................

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Wow, Scott!

Incredible number of pick-ups, and they look great!

Doug
  • Options
    Great looking Cobb, Major!

Doug
  • Options
    scott...dont give up! We've seen too many fatalities in the last few months. If you find yourself getting burnt out, take a breather. or simply lay out all your cards on a table...the beauty of your collection will propel you forward! image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    that's a nice lot, good job!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Guys
    Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Major
    I'm not giving up, our ranks are thinning on this thread but I am going to see this thing through!

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    Great cards everyone.. Steve, do you think you will make the attempt again? I find that the closer I get to finishing the monster, my collecting rate gets slower. I guess it's a combination of enjoying the chase as well as being unsure what to do with it when I'm finished. Picked these up at the Reading show last weekend. A pretty tough Hobby (correct name, no cin) and this very odd printing defect. I had never seen one like this before.
  • Options
    I dunno. I was thinking about that possibility the other day. I kinda doubt it, mainly because I very, very rarely go after cards I once owned. (I can only think of one example off the top of my head: an E95 Cobb.) But who knows how my life will unfold. Maybe as I get older and have more time and money - at least I hope I have more of those things as I age - I'll pick the set back up, but for now I'm very content to collect fewer cards and to collect in a random fashion.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Greetings all, its been a while !

Im buying a business in the next month and its time to let go of a vast portion of my collection to gather funds. Thus, all of my T206 cards are for sale if anyone is interested.

You can see what I have via the registry under bri2327's t206 collection. I am around 100th place and have around 30 cards available.

Anyone interested can feel free to PM me.

Brian
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Brian
    PM sent.

Thanks.

scott
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up a cool Kid Elberfeld pic image Looks like his T206

Wondo

• Options
    another one bites the dust.

good luck with your business, brian. i am sure that venture is much more important and meaningful than taming the monster. hope to see you back in the set once you start raking in those millions.
  • Options
    anyone watch those T206's on goodwin last night? I thought a lot of those prices were fairly low. A T206 cobb green SGC 50 went for 1700 (with juice). According to vcp, these cards go for about 300-400 more.

But, then again, the SGC 40 green cobb, which was a lot nicer than the 50, went for over 2 grand.

anyone bid and/or won any of the offered cards?
  • Options
    Major
    It's going to be You, Doug and me carrying the torch.

I won't give up!

Scott
  • Options
    I just wanted to say hello.

I've been reading the thread for some time now and have just begun my T206 journey. I haven't collected seriously in quite some time and did a lot of research before starting a new project. As I went over different types of sets and different era's of cards I kept finding myself loking at the T206's again and again. So I finally gave in and have taken aim at the T206 HOF set.

I have spent a lot of time reading about the set and comparing pricing. I've watched a lot of auctions on Ebay and won my first card last week (Rube Marquard, Follow Through, PSA 4.) Since then I have added two more (Chief Bender Pitching w/ Trees PSA 4, Nap Lajoie Throwing PSA 4) and continue to look all the time.

Again I just wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for all of the helpful info.
  • Options
    brian sent pm last night and also an email.gil
  • Options
    Scott....wonder what happened to the the poster who started this thread?..Ray? Last time I checked, he was trying to get an EDPG back T206 set.

A small part of me wants to give up, largely because of my T3 and HOF rookies projects. But, just a peak at my cy young portrait...or cobb red and green...brings me back.

<< <i>Again I just wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for all of the helpful info. >>

Welcome aboard, brave fan! Share a pic or two of your recent purchases. And dont hesitate to ask questions, as all of us here are knowledgeable about the set.
  • Options

<< <i>Major
    It's going to be You, Doug and me carrying the torch.

I won't give up!

Scott >>

I don't intend to give up either, but this torch feels like a bonfire some days! I have considered throwing in the towel, but for the moment, I'm into it now more than ever...

Welcome aboard, bravefan. You're really jumping in with both feet, going after the HOF T206 set! You're off to a very good start.

Doug
  • Options
    Here are my first 3 T206 purchases.

• Options

<< <i>Scott....wonder what happened to the the poster who started this thread?..Ray? Last time I checked, he was trying to get an EDPG back T206 set.

A small part of me wants to give up, largely because of my T3 and HOF rookies projects. But, just a peak at my cy young portrait...or cobb red and green...brings me back.

<< <i>Again I just wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for all of the helpful info. >>

Welcome aboard, brave fan! Share a pic or two of your recent purchases. And dont hesitate to ask questions, as all of us here are knowledgeable about the set. >>

Major
    I talked to Ray via e-mail a few weeks back regarding an EPDG he might need. He is still going after the EPDG back set. I'm not sure why he doesn't post here anymore. I've seen him respond to some non T206 posts on the Net 54 B/S/T board so maybe he isn't as active in T206's as he once was. EPDG's are pretty tough so after you add a bunch you can probably go a decent amount of time before finding another one that you still need.

Welcome bravefan........being from Philly I'm not the biggest Brave fan in the world but I won't hold that against you lol. Should be a fun year in the NL East.

Scott
  • Options
    Noli
    I just saw a post on Net 54 from a guy claiming to be MajorDanby talking about selling T206's. It's an imposter right? image

Say it ain't so!

Scott
  • Options
    Scott,

I'm definitely excited about the NL East this year. I think it's going to be really competetive. Hopefully the Braves will be in the hunt come September and give Glavine and Lopez another shot at the post season before they're done.

Tim
  • Options
    Scott

I need to sell a portion of my set. I've whittled down my T3 and HOF Rookies set to the point where they contain only cards I really want..and even sold a few T206's that either i knew i could get a good profit from or wanted to (and can easily) upgrade in the future....but, i still havent reduced the amount of money sunk into my collection to a point where i can pay off a chunk of my student loans. I'm not getting out of the set....just rehoning it and scaling back. As evidenced by my recent purchase of the cobb bat off above, i'll still buy a T206 if I really wanted it or was at a good price. The poster "Joe" in the thread actually makes a good point...T206's overall are not incredibly hot at the moment, so it's better to be a buyer than a seller. But, paying those loans every month is quite a burden...and i might be going back to school this Fall, so i need to be more pragmatic about my finances.

• Options
    Be careful, Danby! That's what ultimately led to my demise. Well, not exactly, as I wasn't selling to pay off student loans but I did begin by weeding out dupes and cards with weak registration in part to take care of some other bills. Next thing I knew, my quest was essentially over.

But it's probably true that one could replace most of the set's cards relatively easily and without too much additional expense, if any at all. I know some collectors are expecting a bit of a spike in prices for the 100th anniversary, but I think most T206 values will remain relatively flat. Heck, 5's through 7's seem to be down quite a bit.

Can't say I have any regrets about selling, though. I kinda miss some of the Hindus when I see them on "recent pick-up" threads, but it's nice to have more time and money for other cards. The funny thing is that my latest acquisition is a card that was at or near the top of my want list because I knew I'd never own its T206 counterpart. But even having succumbed to the Monster, I'm still really happy to finally have a Plank portrait:

• Options
    Although I do not post on this thread very often, I do enjoy reading it regulary. Thought I would just step up to the plate with my thoughts on some of the recent comments.

For most of us, this is not a set that can be put together quickly like many others. It really is a long term adventure. Short term burnout will happen when taming any monster. It happens to me every couple of years, especially when money is tight. I made the mistake of selling off many of my T206's many years ago, only to get a revived interest again. Had to slowly buy back everything I sold, at higher prices. After that, I made a promise to myself to just take a break and leave the collection alone for awhile everytime I wanted to give up. That seems to have helped me hang in there.

For those of you that are thinking of selling right now for financial reasons, this is probably not the best time to do so. If you can wait at least a year, you may do better. I do not quite accept that the 100 year anniversery in itself will make a difference, but it will provide better exposure to the series right about the time that we should be working out of a reccession. Right now there are to many factors depressing the prices. People spend less on luxuries during reccessions (this is a luxury). Also there are a lot of alternatives for investment and collecting dollar right now. Gold and silver are hot, making lower grade coins an interesting alternative for many collecting dollars. A depressed stock market and Real Estate market will also start to look like very attractive alternative investments.

In the long run T206's will continue to increase. Both from their outstanding collector appeal and their investment potential. There is not an overwhelming supply of them, any uptick in demand will push prices up. But that is not the case right now.

I have been buying strongly for my collection the last 6 months, taking advantage of the price weakness. As someone else noted the prices for PSA-4 through PSA-7 have been particularly weak. I would add to that list the common HOF's. The Southern leaguer's and PSA 1-3 have held their own. The true rarities, demmit, o'hara, magae, etc actually seem strong; as well as truely rare backs.

I have watched a slight increase in prices overall the last 2 weeks, but I think it will be short lived. I suspect it is the result of tax refund checks rolling in.

Anyway, I am one of the collectors that will be sticking around. I hope those of you on the fence will hang in there also.
  • Options
    Steve
    Awesome Plank..........I really love some of those E sets.

Major
    Glad to hear you are still in the game. I was just joking around with my post, I know how those bills, especially student loans can pile up.

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    When someone gets a chance could they give me a quick heads up of how I insert pics into my posts.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    A couple of questions about card values.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am new to seriously collecting cards of this kind. I have been doing as much reading and research on the T206 set as I can to educate myself as much as possible about what I am buying.

First of all I know a card is truly only worth what I pay for it when I buy it or what I am paid for it when I sell it.

So far I have been using several different sites to try and figure out what the approximate price a card could sell for. I use Cardpricer.com, T206.org, and T-206.com. I also track all the Ebay auctions for cards in the set I am looking for and record what price the cards sell for. I combine all of these numbers in a spread sheet and figure a price I think to be a fair market price for the card. Is this a good method? Are there any suggestions any of you have that may be of help?

Also T206.org is the only site that will give you a price valuation taking the cards back into consideration. Is there anything that can help me evaluate when a card is worth more based on a certain back? I have looked at population reports on the PSA website but that doesn’t help me to know how much value to add to the card in real dollars.
  • Options
    abf
    I would suggest vintagecardpricer.com. It's like $10 a month. I don't use it but everyone that does seems to find it very helpful. It tracks all ebay as well as auction house auctions. From what I understand I think it would eliminate the need to keep that spreadsheet which is probably pretty time consuming.

I've been debating on signing up for some time but I'm not sure I'd get my moneys worth as I only collect T206's. FRom just watching ebay I know what commons go for in the particular grades and I adjust accordingly if it's a more difficult to find common. I think VCP would be more helpful when you're talking about star/hof's/slers.

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>abf
    I would suggest vintagecardpricer.com.

Scott >>

I signed up to the site for 1 month, figured $10 was worth the info if it was everything they claim. It's exactly what I was looking for. They have extremely up to date info. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used the site along with my info and purchased 3 more cards tonight.

John McGraw Finger in Air Sovereign
    Joe Tinker Bat Off Shoulder Sovereign
    Walter Johnson Portrait Sweet Caporal

All PSA 4

The Johnson took a big hit on the budget and will probably slow me down a bit.
  • Options
    Its been forever since I have picked one up but Im not out of the game! Been distracted with some cool caramel cards. My latest

• Options
    I too am trying to put the Monster set together. E-bay (BooksontheGulf) and Set registry "SeminoleLaw". I am still finding it difficult to pick up Hall of Famers in 5 or 6 for decent prices. The economy does not appear to be affecting these cards as much as one would think. Anyone wishing to sell off any Cobbs, Johnson, Lajoie and Youngs at a fair price let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    Last 3 purchases.

• Options
    More great pick ups, braves fan!

As far as photohosting goes, photobucket.com is free. You can get an account, upload pictures, and copy the IMG code directly into a post, and your picture is embedded in your text.

Alternatively, if you register your cards in the set registry, you can upload photos there (limited to 100KB). If you do this, upload the picture, then click on the camera image next to your card. Then, right click on the image, select properties, and select the http: address from the Location field. Then, when you're posting, use the IMG icon next to the B I U icons to insert the website.

Here are my latest pickups:

Doug
  • Options
    Those are some great cards djspann.

• Options
    As far as card condition is concerned, creases, scuffs, missing paper, diamond cut, etc, what do you consider when buying cards of the same PSA grade to be more or less important? I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I was just looking for some opinions.

For example I saw a nice PSA grade 4 portrait card for sale last week and it sold for a decent price but it had a white scuff right at the players hairline. It was very distracting to me and kept me from bidding.

If you look a few posts above you'll see the Walter Johson I recently purchased is diamond cut, do other collectors have a big problem with that?

• Options
    Doug and ABF nice cards! ABF you certainly jumped in with both feet.

You both are going to make me too embarassed to post my PSA and SGC 1's and 2's.

ABF
    I think that Johnson looks great and the cut doesn't bother me at all, one mans opinion.

I try and stay away from real beaters and cards with lots of creases particularly through the player. I can live with creases in "non strategic" places.

It seems like both of you are collecting all 4's and I think if you go that route you won't have to worry about issues like that.

Great stuff guys..............

Scott
  • Options
    Thanks, Scott. Let's see the 1's and 2's! Any T206 is great, plus some 1's and 2's can look outstanding.

Braves fan -- I think that minor scuffs are the least offensive to me on that list. Scuffing can often times be very minor and doesn't distract much from the card. Next would be wrinkles, then minor creases. I have been almost entirely avoiding creases that go through the player. I do have some that are in the background, but if the crease is significant enough to see the white paper beneath on an otherwise nice colorful background, I usually wait for the next one. Diamond cuts are pretty distracting to me, but oddly enough, centering isn't very important to me. My Elberfeld above is very distracting, but that Johnson is not so bad. Paper loss is also fairly distracting to me, but if it is a very small spot on the front, that's fine with me. Larger spots on the back are OK, but still I usually would wait for the next one to come along.

I am collecting mostly 4's in T206, but I do have a couple of 3s and one 5. I've found I'm pretty happy with 4's in general, so look to those first.

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks alot Doug and Scott.

Scott by all means post your pics. I love seeing the 1's and 2's. There is so much character in those cards.

I personally set my sights on a PSA 4 HOF set after considering what my budget over the long term could afford. I have been on quite the tear lately but I can assure you things are going to be slowing down after the purchase of the Johnson and now a Cy Young.

• Options
    has anybody gone to the population report for t 206.can you explain the unknown back category with some 66,000 cards graded?thanks,gil
  • Options

<< <i>has anybody gone to the population report for t 206.can you explain the unknown back category with some 66,000 cards graded?thanks,gil >>

Prior to last Fall, PSA did not include the tobacco company on the flip. So anything graded prior to that time is unknown. I'm a little surprised, actually, at the large pops on all the other backs. PSA had a special to reholder previously graded T206s to put the tobacco company on the flip -- it looks like a lot of people took them up on that.

Doug
  • Options
    My latest pickup and my first Polar Bear.

• Options
    abf....you're tearing it up! nice purchases!