Options

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• Options
    abravefan11abravefan11 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Yawie you always impress!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, man. It's the first card I've won in one of Hunt's internet auctions. Their catalogs and organization are horrible, but I thought $135 was a decent deal on an AB HoFer.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    great looking cards guys
    i wish i had the cash to purchase a couple 206's
    but looking at them is clsoe enough
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>i wish i had the cash to purchase a couple 206's >>

i cant speak for your financial situation, but t206s are probably one of the cheaper "big" pre war sets to collect...as long as you are not condition sensitive. and even if you are...you can definitely take advantage of the flaws in the grading market by purchasing low grade cards that have great eye appeal but have a surface wrinkle/paperloss/back stain/marks. Look at the donovan i recently purchased...that is a grade or two (or three?) higher had that stain not been there. even with the stain, the card has great eye appeal.

btw, nice card steve. still thinking of buying more high grade t206s? i almost pulled the trigger on a psa 6 nap rucker portrait. one of my absolute favorite cards in the set. couldnt do it because the price just went over my head.
  • Options
    Been away a while from my thread; almost forgot about PSA, haven't visited in a while.
    I recently picked up two Myers for the price of one to snag this EPDG Back.

It's been so long I forgot how to get scans on here.
    Help?
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    What's up, Ray? You've been a notable absence!

Anyway, ya gotta use the little picture icon thingy above the post area. You'll then be prompted for the URL of your image, which you can get by right clicking, then selecting "Properties."
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I feel forunate to have won this yesterday. Can't wait to get it. I keep finding myself drawn to the T206's. They are so beautiful.

• Options
    That Cobb looks gorgeous. I really need a replacement for the SGC 20 I sold a buddy since it was the last card he needed for his set. There's not a lot of cards I look to reacquire, but the Bat Off Cobb is one of them. I had that one tracked, but it was almost too nice for me.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    beautiful cobb!!!!!!

yeah their not that expensive compared to the era but i just can't afford them right now, wish i could though. i will sooner or later, i hope
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Tone
    That is a BEAUTIFUL card!

Congrats.
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Very nice Cobb!

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I have been wanting the bat off for a while now. I passed on a PSA 4 a little over a year ago at a Tri-Star show in SF that was nice but not this nice which I regretted. At that time I wanted a T205 Cobb which I finally did get but in the end the bat off kept calling my name. I really can't wait to get it. I only need the red port and I'll have all four. I just can't get away from these T206's. The color and artwork are just so nice. Next up hopefully is a really nice Young Port. Thanks again guys. image
  • Options
    I've become an SGC guy but got what I think is a really good deal on this card:

imageimage

Scott
  • Options
    not sure if this is the right place to ask this but did anyone here win this T206 lot last week at Huggins and Scott?

Lot 91 - Tris Speaker T206 PSA 4 with Polar Bear back

It has a Tris Speaker card that I'm very interested in. Please PM me if you won it or happen to know who did. Thanks!
  • Options
    Tone,

Gorgeous Cobb.

I think collectors really fight themselves. I know I've wasted a fortune on some cards, and they don't compare to a T206 Cobb or Goudey Ruth. But that's a top 20 or 30 card with great eye appeal.

I noticed there was El Principe De Gales Back at about the same price. Did you think about that one? Although the centering and eye appeal weren't as strong.
  • Options
    I did see the EPDG Cobb and personally did not care for the centering so I just stayed on the sidelines. And, I'm not real big into backs. The overall eye appeal is what sold me on this Cobb. I'm definately a centering guy but this one had extremely nice corners as well. I think it might have an outside shot at a bump to a 5, maybe. But I won't know for sure until I get it. Still, I will be very happy even if it's not worthy. I really think mid grade cards with very nice appeal like this one are great buys. Get em when you can.
  • Options
    Tone - Congrats; your Bat Off looks tremendous.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Congrats on the Big Train, Scott -- and a Sovereign back too!

Are you going to cross it to SGC?

Doug
  • Options
    Doug

Thanks for the kind words, hope you are enjoying the summer.

I was a little hurt that no one noticed my pick up image but with Tone's beautiful Cobb I knew it would be tough.

Not sure about crossing it over. I think it could get a 30. I have quite a few PSA T206's that I need to decide what to do with. I'd love to cross them over but I have a hard time spending what would probably be over a $1000 on crossovers....I'd rather spend it on more cards.

I probably won't decide either way until I complete the set which is years away.
  • Options
    Woo hoo! My Joe Lake (St. Louis) Uzit collection is now complete:

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I've always wondered why there aren't more T206s on the Mail Call thread. Now I know why. I'll have to visit here more often. Beautiful cards, guys... especially that Cobb on the previous page. Stunning.
  • Options
    Congratulations, Steve -- I can't wait to get my hands on a Uzit!

Thanks Scott, yeah, my summer is going very well. I'm spending a lot more of my free time outside and less time on the computer, though! I hope you're also doing well. Yeah, that's an awful lot to spend on crossovers, just to have a different holder... I'm sticking with PSA for the time being on T206s, but I have another set that I'd like to cross to SGC. Fortunately, I only have about 10 cards to cross, but it's still money I'd rather spend on new cards. If you really do want to cross, I wonder if SGC would work out a deal with you.

Doug
  • Options
    Steve

Another awesome card congrats.

Doug

When PSA started the half grades SGC ran a crossover special for $5 a card. I'm pretty sure I e-mailed Glyn Parson at SGC and he said that was the best they could do even if I wanted to submit 200+ cards. That is pretty cheap so I can understand their position. I just didn't feel comfortable putting them in the mail and I couldn't find the time to drive to NJ even though I'm pretty close to Parsipanny (I live in PA). Not sure if that's something they'll run again but if they do I'll probably submit at least some of my cards.

Scott
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! Just closed a deal for a Drum, so it's been a great week or so on the T206 front.

I know it doesn't help with the cost factor, but I will say that my crossover experience with SGC has been great. The $5 special they had on the heels of PSA's half-point announcement was a great deal - especially since I think the value limit was pretty high. Maybe $2,500. I crossed a few cards that were in that ballpark: two same-grade crosses and one half-point bump. Just one card didn't meet the minimum grade so it was returned in the PSA holder, a possibility for which I was fully braced. Obviously there's some risk involved with transit and cracking a card out, but I'll certainly vouch for the fairness of SGC when it comes to evaluating cards in other companies' holders. Well, at least PSA's.
  • Options
    A few additions, Nothing exciting:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>A few additions, Nothing exciting: >>

I disagree. Love the Waddell particularly. Very nice.
  • Options
    Agreed. Love the color and clarity on it. Can't believe I don't yet have that card for my St. Louis sets.
  • Options
    Guys

Thanks for the kind words. I do like the Waddell a lot, I think it's a nice example of a low grade card that presents pretty well.

Steve

Knowing your passion for St. Louisians I'll second the disbelief that you don't have that card yet. image
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff as always, guys. Just picked up a card I've wanted for a while...tough back to boot.

Mark

image,image
  • Options
    That is a great card. Had it tracked and saw that you won it - very happy for you!
  • Options

<< <i>That is a great card. Had it tracked and saw that you won it - very happy for you! >>

Thanks Steve! Not the best looking SGC 40 out there, but I'm happy with it overall...

Did you stop pursuing your all-Hindu backed set?

Mark
  • Options
    I threw in the towel on the set earlier this year and sold off pretty much all of my non-St. Louisans. I'd still like to get all the possible Hindu Cards and Browns, but all my others are gone. Needless to say, the itch is starting to return.
  • Options
    Mark

Congratulations on a great card......awesome!

A few recent common additions:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got this one

The seller listed it based on the flip, and no other bidders noticed that the card is actually the rarer "Boston" version. Final price corresponded to the flipimage.

Steve
  • Options

Dude! Very, very nice steal.
  • Options
    The Kleinow Catching is one of the set's coolest action-type shots. Nice card!

Picked this up from the post office today. Still a long way to go, but it makes a Joe Lake type set a possibility:

• Options
    Steve

Congrats on another nice pick up.

Check out this thread from the Net 54 board. A gentleman picked up a pretty nice T206 at the National.

T206

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, Scott...great read and tremendous trade!
  • Options
    A few new additions. Some HOFers and a tough common in Ganley. The quest continues.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    Dude, I love that Collins. The paper loss is in just the right spot to kill the grade - and presumably bring down the cost - but not really ruin the eye appeal. At least for me. I like that Baker, too. That card usually has a real soft focus, but yours has a nice crisp image.

A hobby buddy picked this up for me at the National:

I have another Factory 42 at SGC right now, but this one is a lot nicer. Plus it's pretty cool when people remember what you collect and pick up stuff you'd like.
  • Options
    Steve

Thanks as always for the kind words. I agree about the Collins, the image is really nice and I don't mind the paperloss. It's a little more miscut than I'd like but for a little more than $50 I thought I did alright. I also was happy with the Baker image. I'm not sure the corners are worthy of a 40 but the image is really crisp and I think it looks pretty nice.

Nice pick up as well. It is really nice to have friends like that in the hobby. It's what it's all about.

A few more arrived today. The Moran image is also really nice.

imageimage

Best,

Scott
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A few additions, Nothing exciting: >>

I disagree. Love the Waddell particularly. Very nice. >>

Agree, that is one of my favorite cards from that set. The card almost looks 3D with all the wrinkles on his uniform.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the PSA 10 Pastorius and the PSA 9 Mullin on eBay? They are currently running and I don't remember if I ever have seen a PSA 10 offered there before. I think I saw a PSA 9 once or twice over the past couple years.

Very nice cards!
  • Options

• Options
    Nice, Ben. I was cursing my luck when I was outbid on that Sovereign Konetchy until I saw that you were the one that won it. Nice bold color and a crisp image.

Too bad the 2008 Cardinals have packed it in. Actually, that four-game sweep at the hands of the Brewers right after the All-Star break pretty much sealed our fate.
  • Options
    It has been a while since I last posted, plus i am kind of new.

Either the Nap Lajoie market is weak, or I lucked out on great deals with these two seperate ebay buys.

• Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    hey everyone what is a good price to pay for a psa-3 christy mathewson portrait? is $600 alot?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    A few recent additions to get this back on the first page. Got the Kleinow for about $75. It has a Polar Bear back.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimage

Scott
  • Options
    Terrific pickups, Scott -- great deal on the Kleinow!

Doug