Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Anything "T-206 Thread"

Comments

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Lindaman! Tougher card to go along with the tough back.

My most recent pickup, doesn't really fit into my lower end collection but I liked the price.

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    That is a sweet Steinfeldt!
  • Here are a front and back scan of a card that I might want to buy. It's from a guy about 30 miles from where I live, so I am going to go visit and get a first hand look. I don't know him but found his website browsing the net about T206, he has a lot of graded and raw stuff, T205s as well. I am going to go and check it out. Is buying RAW too risky for a rarity card like this? I don't mind bargaining at card shows for raw cards up to $100, but 4-digit price tag isn't something I want to get burned on.

Anyone got an opinion on this card's authenticity?

imageimage
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Steelers

Thanks for the kind words.

Farm

It looks good to me. I would suggest that if you do buy it it's with the caveat that you are going to get it graded and if it does not you want a refund.

Best,

Scott
  • This is my first post to the T206 thread.

I have been a long time Ted Williams collector, completing the 1959 Fleer Williams Set, Number 4 on the alltime Williams Master Set, and 15 on the Williams Basic Set. Recently I started to branch out and have had my few T206 HOF's graded. A Cy Young Port. Piedmont PSA 2, Huggins Hands at mouth Piedmont PSA 4, and a Lajoie throwing Piedmont PSA 5. This prompted me to start working the T206 HOF Set. I have decided on a trying to complete a near HOF set of PSA 1.5 (or PSA 1 complete card/no major paper loss) to PSA 4 set. I have now acquired a McGraw Port with cap Piedmont PSA 2, and Chance Yellow Port Sweet Caporal PSA 2.5. I have now opened my set registry. Acutally, my experience with T206 cards is minimal so I thought I would toss out a few questions.
    1) I have these HOF and about 15-20 commons (all low grade), but back is primarily Piedmont or Sweet Caporal. Have about 5-6 polar Bear backs, but which backs are rare, and do these rare/super rare backs command much higher prices? How much higher?
    2) Is there a couple of web sites current buyers use to obtain cards, or is ebay the major market? Formal auctions might be difficult for me as I will be on a buying budget, enough to get 1-3 cards/month or so.
    3) Ideas on buying "raw" cards online--so worried that the card will be trimmed or altered. No local place to buy cards this old for me
    4) Best way to link card photos to this thread?

I still have about 30 pages of threads to read, so if these are duplicated questions I apologize.

Harf

My T206 Registry (never to own a Wagner)
    Harf T206 HOF set
  • Harf - I would recommend perusing this site

T206

Gives a lot of info about T206. Make sure you check out Scot Reader's T206 guide, which is located on the T206 Links web page. The book gives you nearly everything you need to know about the set.

As far as buying..I typically go through Ebay, large auction houses or through fellow collectors i have met through here and on the net54 forum (a forum for pre war card collectors).

Im sure others here can chip in more info.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a sweet Steinfeldt! >>

Agreed. Another of my favorite common portraits. The Overall portrait is great too.

I think the Demmitt looks OK, but as others have said, I'd try to reach some kind of agreement that the sale is contingent upon the card being deemed authentic by SGC or PSA.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Some recent additions to my favorite back collection:

Mark
  • after several months, i finally got a card

<< <i>after several months, i finally got a card

image >>

Wow, that's a nice 1...
  • Steelers

Great cards! You're getting like Steve used to be with all those Hindu's!

Major

That's a helluva nice one. I'd buy cards like that all day long.

Congrats to both of you.

Scott
  • Mark - I'll let you know if I ever decide to part with the Lindaman. I can see it would fit in with your collection nicely. Great cards!

Major - Welcome back! I'm assuming that card has some back damage? Great looking 1!
  • thanks everyone.

tim - yes, paper loss brings the grade down. im the king of light creases, tobacco stains and paperloss!

and steelers...nice hindu backs! if you find one with paperloss, let me know!
  • I know you guys are dying to see more of my pickups image

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Regards,

Scott
    Man, having almost no money for cards sucks. Lemme just say that right off the bat. But I do finally have something worth showing:

The upper right corner is a bit rough relative to the others, but it's still a pretty nice 80/6. Plus it gives me four different front-back combos of this card.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Yawie -- what a great looking card of a HOFer
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Thanks, MS. It's my lone pick-up from the recent run of auction house offerings. There were a lot of nice St. Louis rare backs, but it was just bad timing for me. And even if I had the scratch, a Lenox Joe Lake, which is one of the last few types I need, went for insane money. I can't remember if it was in Sloate or Goodwin - they all kind of blend together at this point - but a 4 went for over a grand! On the flip side, it seems like Red Hindus have been relatively "cheap" but I haven't seen a St. Louis one available.
  • I enjoy following this thread, and I am glad to be able to add to it!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Collecting:
    Type Cards
    T-206 White Border
    Whitey Ford
    1955 Topps Double Headers

and

(1) 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig #37 mid to low grade that presents well
  • Steve - That's a beautiful card. Is your T206 focus strictly St. Louis players?

Copper - Welcome.

Major - Some really nice cards can be bought on the cheap because they have been downgraded by paper loss on the back.
  • First post on this thread since page 52 but added a few cards since then - thanks to people who have helped me build my collection - Steve Yawitz, Hank Caddy and abravefan11. I have added about 35 cards since my last post. I will not add all in one go but here are the first half:

imageimage

imageimage
    I know two of the same card - one bought by me and one as a present that I wasn't aware of - the second has a Polar Bear back

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Bergen has a Brown Hindu back - thanks Steve

Pfeffer has a Tolstoi back - thanks Steve

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Bowerman traded to abravefan11

My t206 collection can be seen here

The aim is to add one card per week to the collection....
    Nice cards, Martuk. If you're ever interested in selling/trading the Brown Hindu Bergen, I would be interested.

Mark

• << <i>Nice cards, Martuk. If you're ever interested in selling/trading the Brown Hindu Bergen, I would be interested.

Mark >>

Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. I intend to keep the Bergen - currently it is my only example of this back type. Maybe, if I can add another Brown Hindu at some stage I will consider moving it - I will keep you at the top of my list if I do move it.

Regards

Martin

Nice stuff, Martin - and thanks for the kind words - but I have to ask: What's up with Fernando Torres?!?! I thought this might finally be the year. It sure isn't Arsenal's. Oy vay!

And, yeah, ABF11, I pretty much just stick to the St. Louisans now, though I do still pick up a few favorites here and there. Literally a few, as I'm down to just a Mattern, a Wiltse (No Cap) and a Johnson portrait that's on the way. I might start a small collection of portraits and/or HoFers, but don't think I'll ever get as crazy as I used to be.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

One of my favorite threads... Keep posting scans!

• Thanks for the kind words.

Here are scans of the second part of my additions this year:

imageimage

Two of my favourites are next

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Bates traded to abravefan11 - Bender, Tinker and Duffy all obtained from abravefan11 via trades/purchases

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Another duplicate (Perring)- how do I manage to buy doubles when I have so few cards in the set?

imageimage

Thats everything as it stands - I do have a Marquard follow through incoming. BTW the duplicates are available.

• Nice cards Martin. Love the pink Chase.

Here's my latest pick up, my first Cycle, and number 43/174.

Picked this up not too long ago. It's one of my very few non-St. Louis T206's:

Wow, that Wiltse looks to be just about damn perfect...
  • Martin

Great pickups. You have a lot of nice cards there.

Tim

Sweet Cycle! Best of luck as you continue the all possible combinations.

Yawie

That Wiltse is really sweet.

A few more arrivals. The Smith is a beater but I'm all about the $27 version I have of this tough variation. Maybe an upgrade possibility.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Regards,

Scott
    A beater, yes, but it goes along with the back type I'm collecting:

imageimage
    Great front-back combo, Mark! And I think it displays pretty well for a 1. There are some 1's I wouldn't buy, but that Bradley still looks pretty decent.
  • I love seeing the beater T-206's, it gives hope to average Joe's that they may too amass a goodish size collection of them.
    Collecting:
    Type Cards
    T-206 White Border
    Whitey Ford
    1955 Topps Double Headers

and

(1) 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig #37 mid to low grade that presents well
  • excellent cards, everyone! nice hindu back.

added another one

Another unbelievable looking 1...good job.
  • Great card Major!

Centered and beautiful.
    It's not often that I replace cards I let go, but this is one I almost can't be without:

The listing for it had digital pics that weren't really helpful. The back damage was obvious - and it's an SGC 20 - but I couldn't really tell what the front was like. I usually don't make that leap of faith, but I'm pretty satisfied. My top priorities are color and clarity, so I love the image on this one. There is a fair amount of surface wrinkling that doesn't really show up in the scan and that I'm not real crazy about. I might keep my eyes open for a possible upgrade, but I think this one will compare favorably to most in my typical range.

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

That Walter Johnson is a beauty.

• is there a list somewhere of all the minor league and southern league players?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    I don't think this site has a list of all the minor leaguers, but you can use the drop-down menu to sort by team to find what you need. There is a link, though, for the 48 southern leaguers.
  • hey thanks i am considering doing a southern league set and or a minor league set....it would be so much cheaper than trying to do the entire set...

as a side note do you think psa would let me start a southern league registry set?
    my t-205's

I would think so. I'm surprised they don't have it up already. I have no idea how the technical side of the Registry works, but I can't imagine it being too hard to create a set that's simply a subset of a set already on the Registry - look at the team sets that were spun off of the post-war Topps sets. I'd e-mail BJ or whoever the current Registry reps are. As much as I've grown to dislike PSA, I will say that their Registry people were always prompt and helpful.
  • I'm surprised they don't have an SL set as well. I'm sure they'd start one. You're going to average over $100 per card even for low grades, so it's not a cheap set but not overwhelming either. If you do the set, one suggestion, make sure all the backs are are Old Mill SL backs which enhances the set in my opinion.
  • i think i will try to get them to start this subset..i think this is a set i can complete in part because it does not include any of the really big biggies...i am also thinking of asking them to seperate the t205 into master sets and a general set that just includes one of each player instead of the one they have now. where i have to get the rare hoblitzel card.
    my t-205's

• << <i>A beater, yes, but it goes along with the back type I'm collecting:

imageimage >>

just how old is bill bradly anyway and was he not also a basketball player in the 70's??? wow seeing him today i would say he looks great for his age..ha ha

really though those are the cards i like beat up old cards..
    my t-205's

• Bender - Nice Hindu, it shows very well.

Major - Another beautiful 1. Truly a collectors card.

Steve - I know that Johnson might not be exactly what you want it to be and I understand how you feel, but it's still a beauty many collectors would love to have.
  • that is not my card ha ha i was refering to who it was....
    my t-205's

<< <i>Bender - Nice Hindu, it shows very well.

Major - Another beautiful 1. Truly a collectors card.

Steve - I know that Johnson might not be exactly what you want it to be and I understand how you feel, but it's still a beauty many collectors would love to have. >>

Thanks for understanding, ABF. I probably didn't articulate my point very well, but I'm glad you know what I mean: It's hard to find a card that offers the perfect combination of everything you like in your price range. I guess it gives us a little taste of what our wives/girlfriends go through when buying jeans.
  • Nice Hindus and Steve - GREAT Johnson portrait!

A couple more for the collection - card 100 is in the set is not too far away:

With an Old Mill back:

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a great collection. Please check out www.sportcollectorsdisplay.com Feel free to list your best items items. It only takes a few minutes.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a great collection. Please check out www.sportcollectorsdisplay.com Feel free to list your best items items. It only takes a few minutes.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400