Home Sports Talk
Options

Hey A-Rod, feel free to be clutch!

Comments

• Options
    tough night vs. the old team....
  • Options
    A big 0fer to go along with his 3 errors. Sit em down 2 out bases loaded strikeout(suprise suprise).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    But yet he had a home run in a tight game with which no one said anything.

Selective amnesia, much?
  • Options
    Still defending him til the end eh Ax. Atleast your consistent. Oh and if you haven't heard...neither the Yankees or Mets have faded.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Still defending him til the end eh Ax. Atleast your consistent. Oh and if you haven't heard...neither the Yankees or Mets have faded. >>

He had a bad day...who hasn't?

Just saying it's peculiar how easy the so-called fans jump his back, yet are unwilling to give him props for a good game.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Last time I checked every single one of us that bashes Arod for a good game also gives him his due when he has a good game.

By the way Ax, if that were ANY other Yankee who made those errors you would be bashing him like there was no tomorrow.

In the end only one thing mattered yesterday, the Yankees won.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>In the end only one thing mattered yesterday, the Yankees won. >>

Simply put.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    A-rod sucks.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a shame to let this thread wear out.
  • Options
    Third consecutive game with 2+ hits...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax,

A-rod was 0 for 3 today...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Damn misread the line, he scored 2 runs.

He walked twice, with no strikeouts.

My bad.
  • Options
    Jete was 2 for 4 with one walk and strikeout, a homer, and 2 rbi. Upped his average to .355
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Jete was 2 for 4 with one walk and strikeout, a homer, and 2 rbi. Upped his average to .355 >>

And he still won't win the MVP.

• Options
    Wouldn't that just piss you off if he does?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't that just piss you off if he does? >>

Not really, because I know both Ortiz and Manny are more deserving.

OOh he's got a .355 batting average! Whippee. Mauer has him in both BA and OBP.

NEXT?
  • Options
    keep crying...maybe the Yankees will keep your mind off your "favorite" team...you know the one is last place in one of the weakest divisions.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    You'll be crying when jeter isn't in the top 5 MVP this year, his best year to date.

Clown.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew it wouldn't take much to rekindle the old flame...............image
  • Options
    After his strikeout looking in the 1st tonight I had to give this thread a bump.

I love how a guy who in considered the best all around player in the game was getting all sorts of praise for fielding a couple of ground balls and hitting a sac fly last night. WHO CARES....has he sunk that low in expectations where a sacrifice fly ( basically a weak pop up) needs that attention ? Would it even be an afterthought if ANYONE else hit that sac fly ? My definate guess is no. Doesnt matter who it would be, Cano, Posada, even Cairo...they hit a sac fly, its over and done. With Arod it has to be hyped as a major accomplishment.

Not to mention his crap in the interview the other night where he talks about playing with injuries, using that as an excuse for his poor play this year. This guy just doesnt know the right thing to say from wrong. He certainly made no friends in the clubhouse by saying that. Im sure there are alot of players with nagging bumps and bruises at this point who arent whining about.

Ok, enough for now. Im sure there will be more to come in the near future though !
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    A question for the arod haters:

What would it take for you guys to lay off him? I mean he won an MVP for you guys last year, and without him, the yanks most likely would have missed the playoffs, yet there was no love for him then. Yet this year, in the mvp discussions, jeter gets all sorts of praise as the guy who is a savior for leading the yankees to their record, even without any power numbers.

So what would it take? I mean the guy wins an MVP, hits a ton of homers last year, and you were crushing him. Would he have to win a triple crown? What?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax,

What it really comes down to is in the NY area is that despite his MVP, and despite his obvious Hall of Fame credentials, A-Rod is perceived by the majority around here as being "soft" (No pun on my name, that talks about music!) He is sensitive, he answers the media to whta he "thinks" they want to hear and he comitted the ultimate team sin the other day. He whined that he has been hurt all year right in front of the media throng. Say what you want about these parts, THAT was the wrong thing to do.

This is no conviction on A-Rod on my part Axtell. But, if you really want to know what the REAL pulse of the fans is .... this is it. For all of his talent and ability .... A-Rod is perceived as being soft in the NY area.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Ax,

Honestly, its a good and fair question. I think at this point he would have to have an absolutely amazing post season and carry the team to a ring for all the baggage he accumulated to be forgotten.

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I don't know...I mean his first season there, he did carry the team past the twins into the second round, and yet, he was still crushed the following year, even as he was putting up monster numbers and winning an MVP.

No wonder he's had a down year. I wonder even if winning a world series would be enough at this point? It seems so many fans enjoy ripping him, for anything, that it seems as if he'll never get that off his back.
  • Options
    He does bring alot of it upon himself. A slump is one thing, but he has to be tougher mentally and not let everything get to him. He never looks loose, and never appears to have any confidence. More often than not he says too much when he speaks, revealing way too much of himself for his own good.

They spoke today on the radio about something I thought was interesting. Francessa mentioned how it has to be affecting him mentally seeing Jeter having such a great year while he has been slumping. I dont think he can get over the fact that no matter what he does it will be Jeter over him in peoples eyes. They also mentioned how amazing it is that Jeter has actually been made to look even better since and due to Arods arrival. With each moment where Arod looks puzzled, confused, frustrated and tight under the bright lights it makes the difference in him and Jeter more apparent.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I don't know...I mean his first season there, he did carry the team past the twins into the second round, and yet, he was still crushed the following year, even as he was putting up monster numbers and winning an MVP.

No wonder he's had a down year. I wonder even if winning a world series would be enough at this point? It seems so many fans enjoy ripping him, for anything, that it seems as if he'll never get that off his back. >>

Us Yankee fans only jump on his back b/c he's not decesive. He says "Oh I'm not a guy to make excuses, but I had some injuries that I played through". You know what that is? An excuse for crapping it up. Maybe when he learns that throwing overhand from third is what you have to do instead of submarining it, maybe he'll get the point. He doesn't deserve comparison to Jete; Yankees fans could care less about what you do in the regular season b/c getting to the playoffs isn't good enough for this team with this many quality players. As the "Best player" he should earn his paycheck; and not on past accomplishments. This isn't Seattle Ax, where a guy can just get away with being overpaid(Not saying A-Rod is overpaid but he damn sure hasn't been up to par this WHOLE season).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>This isn't Seattle Ax, where a guy can just get away with being overpaid(Not saying A-Rod is overpaid but he damn sure hasn't been up to par this WHOLE season). >>

What? You think that NY is the only place where players can't get away with being overpaid? What, are they sleeping over there in Seattle? You guys have some extraordinary ability to sniff out underachievers that fans of other teams don't have? Please. Save the elitism.
  • Options
    ct-It was a knock towards Ax being a "fan" of Seattle, you know the team that he NEVER talks about, and yet complains about the team in which he's constantly writing about. Of course there are other places that don't jump on players when they don't play up to what they get paid. If someone constantly(Ax) talks about the fact that A-Rod is the best Yankee and the US fans should basically worship the ground he walks on when he ISN'T playing up to his amazing abilities then of course the team I'll mention first is the Mariners. Why? No World Championships....EVER. Constant talk from the community "fan" talking about how they are overacheiving this season while sitting in the basement of argueably the worst division in the Majors. No elitism here.

Richie Sexson .229 BA, 25 hr, 80 RBI(He's always had good power numbers) 13Million.
    Adrian Beltre AVG .264 | HR 13 | RBI 54 12.9 Million
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>ct-It was a knock towards Ax being a "fan" of Seattle, you know the team that he NEVER talks about, and yet complains about the team in which he's constantly writing about. >>

What does my being a fan of Seattle have to do with yankees fans undue hatred towards Arod? What, there aren't overpaid and underperforming players in ny? Huh? I haven't seen 1/10th the hatred for big unit as for Arod, but unit's been horrible this year (and don't give me the age crap - both are making a boatload of money).

<< <i> Of course there are other places that don't jump on players when they don't play up to what they get paid. If someone constantly(Ax) talks about the fact that A-Rod is the best Yankee and the US fans should basically worship the ground he walks on when he ISN'T playing up to his amazing abilities then of course the team I'll mention first is the Mariners. Why? No World Championships....EVER. Constant talk from the community "fan" talking about how they are overacheiving this season while sitting in the basement of argueably the worst division in the Majors. No elitism here. >>

Whoa whoa whoa who said that you should worship Arod? I've never said that, I simply said that Arod has been getting jumped on since day 1 in ny, even though he's been clutch in the playoffs, and won an MVP there (which is one more MVP than Jeter's ever won).

<< <i>Richie Sexson .229 BA, 25 hr, 80 RBI(He's always had good power numbers) 13Million.
    Adrian Beltre AVG .264 | HR 13 | RBI 54 12.9 Million >>

What exactly does Sexson and Beltre have to do with Arod getting undue hatred from yankee fans? And you wonder why people hate yankee 'fans'? It's this type of nonsense.

You never answered...what would Arod have to do to win your acceptance?
  • Options
    ARod leads the majors in errors.
  • Options

<< <i>ARod leads the majors in errors. >>

And?

If he didn't have that enormous texas-sized contract, there are 29 other teams out there that would gladly take him off your hands.
  • Options
    Best player in the Majors? Nope, he's up there but he hasn't played up to his level this season and he's regressed in his play at third. Actually a ton of teams want A-Rod, the Yankees know not to get rid of him as they only are paying 15 million of his 25 million salary.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i> What does my being a fan of Seattle have to do with yankees fans undue hatred towards Arod? What, there aren't overpaid and underperforming players in ny? Huh? I haven't seen 1/10th the hatred for big unit as for Arod, but unit's been horrible this year (and don't give me the age crap - both are making a boatload of money).

>>

Ax, Randy Johnson through all of his struggles the past two years has not wavered in the press or out on the mound regardless of the poundings he has taken. I'm telling ya bro, Yankee fans on a whole think A-Rod is soft. They don't think Randy is soft regardless of performance.

Like that answer or not, THAT is why A-Rod is being vilified ....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Best player in the Majors? Nope, he's up there but he hasn't played up to his level this season and he's regressed in his play at third. Actually a ton of teams want A-Rod, the Yankees know not to get rid of him as they only are paying 15 million of his 25 million salary. >>

I take it your lack of a response to 'what would it take to not hate Arod' means there's nothing he could do?

He's had a bad year...big deal. Every big league player goes through them. It's first one in what, a dozen years playing MLB? If you listen to yankee fans though its like he's never been good.

• Options
    Like I've said time and time and time again Ax(can you read, because with you I do a lot of repeating). For me, I always hope he plays up to his abilities. I'm not asking for anymore than that and I doubt any real Yankee fan is. But when A-Rod came to the Yankees their was a HUGE discussion in sports circles of who should play third. The Yankees made the right move and A-Rod still hasn't made the right adjustments in his fielding and throwing.

"Whoa whoa whoa who said that you should worship Arod? I've never said that, I simply said that Arod has been getting jumped on since day 1 in ny, even though he's been clutch in the playoffs, and won an MVP there (which is one more MVP than Jeter's ever won)."

Sorry, Jete has 4 rings and a WORLD SERIES MVP. The difference? Jete helped the most for the Yankees to win when it was most important. You compared once the WS MVP with the Super Bowl MVP, did you not forget the SB is only one game? Anyone, on any given day(who is talented enough to play any sport professionally) can have that one amazing game, Jeter did it in a series on the biggest stage; a place A-Rod has yet to lead a team to. Is that a knock on A-Rod? Not at all, it's simply how much love and admiration Jeter has earned from NY Yankee fans that we hold him in such high regard for what he's added to this ballclub for the last decade.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Again, and I won't harp anymore on this ..... No matter what numbers A-Rod puts up, Yankee fans in general think A-Rod is SOFT. They believe he wilts in crunch time, they believe he wilts in front of the media, they believe he worries constantly about what people think about him. They believe A-Rod has no capability to be tough mentally.

I don't know if that is correct, but that is the general perception of the man around here.

• Options

<< <i>Again, and I won't harp anymore on this ..... No matter what numbers A-Rod puts up, Yankee fans in general think A-Rod is SOFT. They believe he wilts in crunch time, they believe he wilts in front of the media, they believe he worries constantly about what people think about him. They believe A-Rod has no capability to be tough mentally.

I don't know if that is correct, but that is the general perception of the man around here. >>

Hey, he has visited a mental doc before every game since his days in Seattle. So yes, I agree he tries to play the role of "good guy" and he comes off as fake(to me atleast). Like his recent excuse for not playing well this season that he ended with stating it wasn't an excuse, sssssuuuuuuuuurrrrre. It's more than alright to be decesive, especially in NY where guys with HEART get over. Take a look at Paul O'Neill, the fire he showed. When A-Rod strikes out in a big spot, hardly ever even a facial expression. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Arod is a homo.
  • Options

<< <i>Like I've said time and time and time again Ax(can you read, because with you I do a lot of repeating). For me, I always hope he plays up to his abilities. I'm not asking for anymore than that and I doubt any real Yankee fan is. But when A-Rod came to the Yankees their was a HUGE discussion in sports circles of who should play third. The Yankees made the right move and A-Rod still hasn't made the right adjustments in his fielding and throwing.
    >>

How do you figure? He had a great year at third last year, even more incredible that he'd never played the position before with any regularity. What would you consider his 'abilities'?

<< <i>Sorry, Jete has 4 rings and a WORLD SERIES MVP. >>

And last time I checked, it was a team game. Jeter's been on the same team Arod's been on for the last 3 years, but there's no crushing Jeter there. Why the hypocrisy? Why aren't people on Jeter like they are on Arod about not winning a world series in the last 3 years? Why isn't Jeter being called out for failing to deliver a WS, like they are Arod?

<< <i> The difference? Jete helped the most for the Yankees to win when it was most important. You compared once the WS MVP with the Super Bowl MVP, did you not forget the SB is only one game? Anyone, on any given day(who is talented enough to play any sport professionally) can have that one amazing game, Jeter did it in a series on the biggest stage; a place A-Rod has yet to lead a team to. Is that a knock on A-Rod? Not at all, it's simply how much love and admiration Jeter has earned from NY Yankee fans that we hold him in such high regard for what he's added to this ballclub for the last decade. >>

Again, where are the criticisms for Jeter not getting his team to a world series win the last 5 years? Jeter's been 'the captain' for awhile now, and the team's failed to win a world series for 5 years running. If Jeter is so valuable, how come he hasn't led 'his' team to a championship?

I'm not trying to be chippy, I am simply trying to ask why Arod gets crushed for failing to win a championship in his years in ny; while jeter gets a pass even though he's failed 5 years running?
  • Options
    Topps,

its not about facial expressions or wearing emotion on his sleeve. Thats not my point. I get what you are saying, but there have been many many players who don't SHOW emotion but you know have alot of heart.

• Options
    He is the C.O. of the hershey highway.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'm not trying to be chippy, I am simply trying to ask why Arod gets crushed for failing to win a championship in his years in ny; while jeter gets a pass even though he's failed 5 years running? >>

No matter what numbers A-Rod puts up, Yankee fans in general think A-Rod is SOFT. They believe he wilts in crunch time, they believe he wilts in front of the media, they believe he worries constantly about what people think about him. They believe A-Rod has no capability to be tough mentally.

I don't know if that is correct, but that is the general perception of the man around here.

Ax, sorry to repeat this AGAIN but I have answered your question 2 times already before this. You may reject it, BUT THIS IS THE CASE. Yankee fans do not boo A-Rod for lack of championships for christ sake.

• Options
    I will say this - with the "poor" year ARod is having with the 21 errors he still has 25 Home Runs and 85 RBI's. How many players would love to have those numbers? But look how much he is getting paid. How much per Homer?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Ax, sorry to repeat this AGAIN but I have answered your question 2 times already before this. You may reject it, BUT THIS IS THE CASE. Yankee fans do not boo A-Rod for lack of championships for christ sake. >>

Sorry I was waiting for topps to reply...he never did answer the question.

And so what if he saw a shrink before every game? Something's obviously working, as he's the fastest player ever to 450 HRs; he has 2 league MVP awards (and should have at least one more), and is generally considered the cream of the crop in the AL.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    Axroid - your efforts in being the self appointed crusader to support the accomplishments of Alex Rodriquez are not needed. Go on to something else. He does not need you. On the flip side, you piss on Cal Ripken, A-Rod's mentor and idol. You don't know a whole lot about baseball.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options

<< <i>Axroid - your efforts in being the self appointed crusader to support the accomplishments of Alex Rodriquez are not needed. Go on to something else. He does not need you. On the flip side, you piss on Cal Ripken, A-Rod's mentor and idol. You don't know a whole lot about baseball. >>

I never pissed on Cal, I simply called his streak selfish...which, in the grand scheme of things, it was.

• Options
    So far Arods career can be summed up this way IMO.....In Seattle he was not the man. He had Griffey who was vastly superior along with Edgar to carry the team and he could fly under the radar. In Texas he played for a crap last place team where nobody cared and the games meant nothing...easy to pile up numbers and coast. Now in NY he is under the radar and the bright lights. He has never had to be the man, or play under scrutiny in meaningful games. His true character is showing through in his inabilty to handle stress and criticism. The more he looks stressed, the more he lets things get to him, and the more he makes excuses the more he will be looked at as a chump. As i said before, he is making Jeter look better by the day. His ego cant handle the fact that he isnt loved, and he is cracking because of it.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i> And so what if he saw a shrink before every game? Something's obviously working, as he's the fastest player ever to 450 HRs; he has 2 league MVP awards (and should have at least one more), and is generally considered the cream of the crop in the AL. >>

And that is why I made sure to say REGARDLESS of the numbers he puts up ..... Yankee fans in general (as a collective whole) feel A-Rod is as soft as charmin inside his head.

Not saying this is a valid reason to boo him out of NY but I am saying IT IS the reason for the booing.

• Options

<< <i>Topps,

its not about facial expressions or wearing emotion on his sleeve. Thats not my point. I get what you are saying, but there have been many many players who don't SHOW emotion but you know have alot of heart. >>

Oh, I wasn't saying one had to show it physically for it to be known he has heart. I was simply stating how Paul O'neill did it.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils