Home Sports Talk

Hey A-Rod, feel free to be clutch!

Good Lord, WTF is this dude's problem? Now I'm not expecting him to be superman or whatever, but HOW can you consistantly F up EVERYTIME you're in a clutch situation? Last night Yanks are down 4-3, one out bases loaded late in the game and guess who steps up to the plate? That's right, Mr. DoublePlay. And what does he do? Yup, kills ANOTHER yank rally dead by hitting into a double play. Just like last year in the playoffs, 9th inning one out Jeter gets on and what happens? You guessed it, double play, and the Yanks season goes down the tubes.
I'm not placing all the blame on A-Rod for the Yankees' troubles (lord knows there's enough blame to go around) but he is supposed to be a star, last year's MVP, and ever since this guy's come to NY he can't get it done when he needs to. I don't care how many homeruns you hit when we're up 12-2.
I swear I could make $ betting against him when it's crunch time. Sorry for the vent but i am SICKSICKSICK of seeing this game in & game out.

Comments

• MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    You know I just thought of something- next time there's a clutch situation and A-Rod's up, Joe needs to pinch hit Don Mattingly for him. That guy's gotta be pushin' 50 but I still would have more faith in him than A-Rod.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enter iamthegreatcornholio
  • He hit .351 at home last season. No guy comes through on every chance, but imo he has always struck out to much. But hopefully the Yanks will pull the trigger and bring back Soraino.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    I dunno, maybe I'm bein' too hard on the guy,, I really do want to like him, but I honestly feel he does not perform in clutch situations. It's gotta be a mental thing cuz he certainly has the skills. Remember his first game with Texas, when he was catchin' all that flak for signing that monster contract (As if he shouldn't have taken the $) and the very first play in a Texas uniform he trips over his shoelaces? *sigh* maybe he'll come around. He did hit a go-ahead homer against the Red Sox a few weeks back so we'll see.

• << <i>Enter iamthegreatcornholio >>

heh, payrod is indeed overrated. Don't worry, he'll boost his stats in the next lopsided game - he has a talent for scoring/driving in runs when they're not needed.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He can't get it done when he needs to?

And how exactly does a home run in the first inning mean less than one late in the game? Runs scored=runs scored?

You yankee fans are just incredible (and no, I don't mean that in a good way).

<< <i>

<< <i>Enter iamthegreatcornholio >>

heh, payrod is indeed overrated. Don't worry, he'll boost his stats in the next lopsided game - he has a talent for scoring/driving in runs when they're not needed. >>

I was expecting the violin. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

heh, payrod is indeed overrated. Don't worry, he'll boost his stats in the next lopsided game - he has a talent for scoring/driving in runs when they're not needed. >>

I was expecting the violin. image >>

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not placing all the blame on A-Rod for the Yankees' troubles (lord knows there's enough blame to go around) >>

You wonder why there is so much anti-Yankee sentiment on the boards, and here is a good example. Yankee's troubles? As of today, they are 24-18, a game and a half behind Boston at 25-16. You would think you would be happy with that - what, you want the team to be 42-0? Instead, we get whining about how one of your million dollar FA acquisitions isn't hitting a home run in every key at-bat.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly see how A-Rod is not performing in key situations - and I agree he's not been "clutch" at all since joining the Yankees. But, I would count my blessings if I were a Yankee fan. You would rather have Miguel Cairo starting at third for you?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was expecting the violin. image >>

image >>

MantleMarisFordBerra - just busting chops image

With all the success the Yankees have had over the years, there's not gonna be much sympathy from some fans here, especially a "starving for a pennant" Phillies fan such as myself. And I know you're not looking for sympathy, just letting off some steam and this forum is good for that.

Thankfully, I never get mad at my Phillies or Eagles image

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Something about Arod that no one can put a finger on ....

He will jack 2 in a Yankees rout (partly because of the two jacks) but for whatever reason you just can't/don't count on the guy for the big hit when it counts.

Jeter is the exact opposite, in my opinion.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards

<< <i>Something about Arod that no one can put a finger on ....

He will jack 2 in a Yankees rout (partly because of the two jacks) but for whatever reason you just can't/don't count on the guy for the big hit when it counts.

Jeter is the exact opposite, in my opinion. >>

Reggie Jackson of course was "Mr. October" and I think it might have been Steinbrenner who referred to Dave Winfield when he was a Yankee as "Mr. May" - LOL
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Cmon CT...even though Red Sox are on top of the division right now, dont YOU want eveyone on the team to perform as they should? What if Ortiz wasnt getting hits with RISP or wasnt hitting the go ahead or game winning HR...or even a clutch RBI when the team is down 2-3 runs. We all know a player, no matter how good they are, can't do it every time. But is it so wrong for anyone to voice their frustrations no matter how good or bad their favorite team is doing? For God's sake cut the man some slack for wanting his team to do well.
    I think there is a common misconception about Arod's 'clutch' ability.

He's been in NY what, 2 years? He's been hammered since the day he got there, and for what, being the best player in the AL? Arod surely wasn't the reason the yankees didn't get it done last year (Hello? MVP award?) yet he gets blamed nightly.

Arod hits 2 home runs in a blow out, putting them up early, how is that win any less important than a win in which they come back and win it late?

I guess I missed the memo that said that a come from behind win was worth more.
    What if Ortiz wasnt getting hits with RISP or wasnt hitting the go ahead or game winning HR...or even a clutch RBI when the team is down 2-3 runs.

But he is ... and has. Often actually.

His performance in the 2004 ALCS was unreal .... it seemed like every one of his hits was a game changer.
  • Bottom line is if you have 1ONE1 MUST WIN SERIES, im talking life or death stuff here ( joking of course ) and you had to pick either Arod or Jeter on your team im taking Jeter in a heartbeat

I've rooted against the Yankee's since their wars with the Dodgers in the 70's and it pissed me off watching them win in the 90's but i have to admit theres just something about Jeter that sets him apart from alot of players, escpecially when the $$$$$$'s on the line

DP

<< <i>What if Ortiz wasnt getting hits with RISP or wasnt hitting the go ahead or game winning HR...or even a clutch RBI when the team is down 2-3 runs.

But he is ... and has. Often actually.

His performance in the 2004 ALCS was unreal .... it seemed like every one of his hits was a game changer. >>

My point exactly 1420...Ortiz IS and ARod for the most part isn't doing what Ortiz is doing when it comes to clutch. All I was saying is that Red Sox fans wouldnt be pleased if Ortiz was failing in the clutch just as Yankees fans feel this way with ARod.

• << <i>

Arod homers when the Yankees are losing 9-1 in the 9th. image

I was expecting the violin.

LOL Steve, sorry to disappoint

Hey A-Rod, feel free to be clutch!

<< <i>Arod homers when the Yankees are losing 9-1 in the 9th. >>

Interesting - and Foulke was throwing gopher balls out there to make it easier for him.
  • Of all the players who are entirely overrated, how can A-Rod be considered as that? Every year he hits .300, 40+ HRs, and knocks in 100+, if it is because of how much he is paid, perhaps so, but I see much worse in terms of performance to pay!
    Please tell me how hitting a home run in the 9th inning isn't clutch? Where was the rest of his team to pick him up?

And I see all the yankee lovers have retreated into their holes tonight, whereas if they had won, they'd be here in force.

Typical!

• << <i>Please tell me how hitting a home run in the 9th inning isn't clutch? >>

Hitting a homer is good, but in a 9-1 game it isn't clutch. Also the quality of relief pitchers in a blowout game is usually poor - as it was tonight.

<< <i>Please tell me how hitting a home run in the 9th inning isn't clutch? Where was the rest of his team to pick him up?

And I see all the yankee lovers have retreated into their holes tonight, whereas if they had won, they'd be here in force.

Typical! >>

VERY rarely do you see any Yankees lovers here bragging about a win. MOST times on here is defending the ridiculous statements that are made in loses because the Yankees haters come on here to discuss EVERY loss!
    It's only typical in your dream world Axhole.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Typical! >>

That is total bull$hit. No Yankee fan here EVER come on and start meaningless ra ra fests over single wins or even hot streaks. Shut up. Or, point to a thread where this ever happened. image And you better not use the stupid spammy threads as your evidence, you wouldn't want your last tooth punched in would ya? image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Please tell me how hitting a home run in the 9th inning isn't clutch? Where was the rest of his team to pick him up?

Typical! >>

Ax,

Hitting a home run in the 9th inning, with 2 outs in a game your team trails 9-1 is NOT clutch. It is the very definition of a no pressure sutuation. The game wasnt affected, and it meant nothing. It is typical of a LARGE portion of Arods contribution offensively. I dont know how or when he hit them before coming to NY, but this is all we have seen for over 2 years now.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Don't get me wrong, I'm happy A-Rod went yard last night, but as others have pointed out, it ain't clutch when you're down so much. I stayed tuned to ESPN after the game and when they were showing clips even one of the commentators said something to the effect of "Now why couldn't he do that against the Mets when it counted?" If the guys on ESPN are noticing, and calling him out, on not being clutch, then of course fans of the team are going to notice this.

I really do hope he comes around, he is a fantasic player. But it is absolutley unreal how a guy so good can fail in the clutch so much.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    knowledgeable fans know what you were talking about MMFB only those looking to bash comment differently.

How many times have we seen a groundball out when the chips were down?

Against the Mets with the game on the line he GIDP!

He did hit that smoker to Floyd though (which was caught)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Did fans in Cleveland boo Lebron James for not being clutch, how can they boo a franchise's meal ticket? Pains me to say this, but if ever a Yankee can be respected, A-Rod is right there at the top, steady numbers for 10+ years, had to have had a few clutch moments in his time, a ninja cannot keep a big dog down for long!!!!!!!!!!!
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    This thread proves why Ortiz should have been the league's MVP last year. The Sox wouldn't have made the playoffs without him; the Yankees however would have been there in the end without ARod. When you get paid the most money, you get the most criticism, plain and simple.

<< <i>Did fans in Cleveland boo Lebron James for not being clutch, how can they boo a franchise's meal ticket? Pains me to say this, but if ever a Yankee can be respected, A-Rod is right there at the top, steady numbers for 10+ years, had to have had a few clutch moments in his time, a ninja cannot keep a big dog down for long!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Lebron is that team, and carries that team on his back, something Arod simply does not do when it matters. Comparing the two is way off base.

Calling Arod the franchises meal ticket shows how little you know. The Yankees are HIS meal ticket. They were just fine before he showed up, and they will be just fine long after he is gone.
    -- Yogi Berra

Almost forgot....I fully agree that Ortiz should have been the MVP last season.
    -- Yogi Berra

Hah you guys are nuts.

Arod isn't clutch and only hits home runs when the team is either winning by a ton or losing by a ton? He shouldn't have won MVP last year?

/sigh

Why is Arod the only one getting called out for last night's game? What about Johnny Damon, making $13 million this year, batting a 'staggering' .281 and an OBP of .356? Where's the booing for him? Or, because he was 'stolen' from the red sox, he gets a pass?

What about team pitching? The team ERA has ballooned to over 4, yet where is the criticism?

All I hear is 'Arod blew it!' or 'He's not clutch!' Seems to me that there's plenty of blame to go around, but Arod shoulders it all. But he sure doesn't whine about it, he just sits there and does his job.

And please explain to me how Arod gets double switched for? What? Hopefully the yankees are so tired of Arod they trade him to a team where his efforts will be appreciated by the team and by its fans, unlike in NY where the fans are spoiled babies.
    Ax,

When you are widely considered the best player in the game, as well as the highest paid you will be called out first. OF course there was plenty of blame to go around. Nobody is debating that. Damon, the pitching staff, etc. are all accountable, but as long as Arod is in the position he is, he will continue to feel it harder.
    -- Yogi Berra

Damon got plenty of BOO's in Fenway last night.
    Arod gets called out by Steinbrenner as 'the third baseman'.

The demands being placed upon him are ridiculous...so he's making the most money, it's not like he didn't just win an MVP award last year or anything. No one is going to come up huge in every situation, not even your boy Jeter.

Number one, Nobody ever said come up big EVERY time. Occasionally coming up big when it matters would suffice.

Secondly, whichever voters chose Arod for MVP last year are fools who dont watch games. If they had they would have noticed Ortiz coming up big game after game after big game, while Arod piled up his numbers hitting 3 run shots in what were already blowout games. Sure, some voted with the understanding that Arod played a position to Ortiz merely DH'ing, but then its not MVP, it is best overall player. The guy who was most valuable to HIS team last year was Ortiz. Or better yet, it WASNT Arod.
    -- Yogi Berra

So let's say their offensive numbers were a wash (they were very similar).

How exactly is Ortiz helping his team defensively by sitting on the bench?

Their offensive numbers are NOT a wash. Ortiz put up far more of his numbers in situations when the game was on the line. He singlehandedly beat the Yankees with his bat at least 4 or 5 games last year. There is simply no comparing the numbers of the two. That is the entire point myself and others are trying to make. The numbers dont mean everything. We watch the games and at bats day in and day out. We see who comes up big in big spots and who doesnt. Its no big secret to figure out. Like I said, I dont know when he got his numbers playing in Seattle or Texas, but since he has been here in NY he hasnt done it in big spots....not nearly close to enough.
    -- Yogi Berra

• And please explain to me how Arod gets double switched for? What? Hopefully the yankees are so tired of Arod they trade him to a team where his efforts will be appreciated by the team and by its fans, unlike in NY where the fans are spoiled babies.

He got double switched because he made the last out in the inning. Happens all the time

edited to say that i didn't mean Arod makes the last out all the time lol but that the player that makes the last out is generally taken out on a double switch
  • Then tell George to trade A-Rod to the Tigers for Brandon Inge, Inge has come up clutch on a few occasions!!!

<< <i>Number one, Nobody ever said come up big EVERY time. Occasionally coming up big when it matters would suffice.

Secondly, whichever voters chose Arod for MVP last year are fools who dont watch games. If they had they would have noticed Ortiz coming up big game after game after big game, while Arod piled up his numbers hitting 3 run shots in what were already blowout games. Sure, some voted with the understanding that Arod played a position to Ortiz merely DH'ing, but then its not MVP, it is best overall player. The guy who was most valuable to HIS team last year was Ortiz. Or better yet, it WASNT Arod. >>

I couldn't agree more. I am sure that Ortiz lost some votes because he doesn't play the field (and A-Rod plays the field quite well), but anyone who watches either team knows that last year, without David Ortiz carrying the Red Sox at times, they don't make the playoffs. He just kept coming up with big hits when it counted, over and over again. I have never seen anything like it over the course of an entire season.
    Jery

And like you saw what ortiz did, we in NY see what arod does.

when the chips are down he ususally does not come up big.

Yes he wins his share of games, but when the pressure is on he hits a groundball and then tries to slap it out of a fielders glove.

he left seattle, they started to win

he goes to texas and what happens? they begin to lose more.

Now in NY ...............

Steve
    Good for you.
  • That ball slap was actually a great play, if the first baseman was not lapsing during the tag, it never would have came out!
    Toiletbowl man

It was the Pitcher, not the 1stbaseman.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Pitcher, first baseman, they all look alike!
    I agree! To the ignorant they do. HINT.............try looking at the gloves. One is a mitt.

Steve
    Good for you.
    And ya wonder why Trot Nixon said "ARod hadn't earned his pinstripes yet."
  • You all bltch about A-Rod, we shall see who bltches when he goes to the HOF for the Mariners!
    edited ...