Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pdub,
    I will have to look at my stack of cards, but I am sure I have a few doubles in 6 and 7 that I might be willing to move.

I wish I could find someone willing to take some 57's for some 56's as I have about 40 extra 57's right now.

Dave >>

Thanks, let me know!
  • Options
    So I didn't slow down. I won a PSA 6 Duke Snider while I was at the All Star Game, then today I wont a 12 card lot of PSA 7s for $140, within that sub, I received a couple cards I already own, so I'll be posting doubles for anyone who needs them. I'll be scanning the new cards I received this week tonight. This might have put me over 10%.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Paul, At the rate your going, your going to be done by Decemeber. Awesome man!
  • Options
    You guys are animals. You two have only been at it for a few weeks and I'm already eating your dust!

Once I get the three cards that are in transit, I will have eclipsed the 1% mark- which certainly warrants the appearance of this guy image
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Here's the scans of my newest cards...for real now...I need to slow down...seriously...I spent the money I was going to use for my Clemente rookie...now I have to resave up for it!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with Walter, Its been slow going for me. I have a few in transit right now.
    pdub, let me know how that 12 card lot is. I was watching that auction.
  • Options
    There is a decent size show going on in Charlotte right now. Attended yesterday with my 5, 4 and 2 year olds in tow as my wife is down in Atlanta on a girls weekend. I didnt get a ton of time to look around, but there was a ton of high grade 56's at the two booths that I spent a decent amount of time at. Going to go back today, armed with some VCP averages and hope to have a nice HOFer addition to add to my set today. Will post scans if I am able to complete a deal.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PDub, Nice looking cards. You're moving along nicely on the set.

If anyone has an extra Pirates team card in PSA 6 in either gray or white back please PM me
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Here's my new addition to the 56 Set. I was able to trade for this one, but unable to work anymore down to a price I was willing to pay, so this is my only addition.

• Options
    Nice pick up Matt! I have no shows going on around me...you would think that in Southern California there would be an abundance of collectors, but I guess not, and therefore there are hardly any shows.
  • Options
    My latest arival, thank you RonBurgandy!

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

It has been a day or so since someone posted one of their new cards. I got this one a while back but thought I would share and bump the thread. Anybody go 7.5 here??

Jeff

PS...nice Snider Matt and Paul!

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, That's a pretty Aaron. I would say yes to the 7.5
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    That Aaron is a beauty. IMO that is the best looking card in the set.
  • Options
    Nice cards guys, Not sure about the bump on that Aaron.
  • Options
    Jeff,

Nice Aaron, but I agree with Matt, I don't think it will bump IMO. But you'll never know unless you try. Maybe just send it in for a review.

Paul
  • Options
    A couple new pickups. Nothing special, but thought I'd share anyway. I think the Kennedy in particular looks very nice for the grade.

Also, that's a GREAT looking Aaron, Jeff! I would give it a try for the bump. It's possible the corners could keep it where it is; tough to tell w/out the card in hand.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>Im with Walter, Its been slow going for me. I have a few in transit right now.
    pdub, let me know how that 12 card lot is. I was watching that auction. >>

Still waiting for the 12 card lot to come in the mail....waiting, waiting, what do we do? we wait!!
  • Options
    Im going to have to back-burner my set for a while. I can't finish up the Clemente Basic Set and buy Musial cards as well as build this set. I think I can finish up the Clemente in the next 6 months, so I will start adding cards again then.
  • Options
    Matt, Did you delete your 56 set from the registry? Sorry to see you putting it on hold, but I understand. That Clemente set will be outstanding when its done.
  • Options

<< <i>Matt, Did you delete your 56 set from the registry? Sorry to see you putting it on hold, but I understand. That Clemente set will be outstanding when its done. >>

Yeah Matt, I'm already jealous of your Clemente set and you're only 60% completed. Good luck.
  • Options
    Bump to clog up the '56 thread with another mid-grade common! Now at 3.2% once all the stuff in transit arrives.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>Matt, Did you delete your 56 set from the registry? Sorry to see you putting it on hold, but I understand >>

For the time being I did. If I leave it up there, I will keep buying cards for it. I just bought a Frank Thomas PSA 8 yesterday as a matter of fact. So I pulled it... I am using the old out of sight out of mind theory. I still have my spreadsheet and all my cards.
  • Options
    Matt,
    Are you still going to try to pick up a '56 Mantle at the National? Either way, I still say good luck on your Clemente set.

By the way, I'm still waiting for my '56 lot of 12 cards...hopefully today I will see a nice package in the mail.
  • Options
    I got a nice package in the mail today image I will be posting pics as soon as I'm done scanning.
  • Options
    Here are the cards I received today. The last two will be for sale or trade.

For sale or trade:

• Options
    Good stuff Paul,

Your moving along nicely. Keep us updated.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff,

I think I'm going to lay low for a while. I need to focus on finishing the last card for my Basic Clemente set.
  • Options
    I noticed a beautiful PSA 6 Teddy Ballgame on the Bay last night- reasonably priced, great centering. Unfortunately, the seller has wayyyyyyyy too many negatives in his history for my liking. I'm not getting involved.
    Hopefully someone else will buy it from him and put it back up for sale at a reasonable price. image

Other than that, there's not much out there for me right now as far as the big dogs in the set. Everything else either belongs to a "museum" seller or I don't like the centering.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    I looked at the Teddy, very nice....very nice
  • Options
    Paul, you want to buy it and then sell it to me for your cost plus a 10% finders' fee? image
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    LOL, can't afford and don't want to chance a bad transaction.
  • Options
    Plugging away slowly. Up to 4% now, counting the cards in transit. Only HOF'ers I have so far are Spahn and Clemente.
    I will be taking a break from buying for a little while to get my financial house in order, and will pick the project up again probably sometime this winter.

This beauty arrived in the mail today. It's a REALLY nice looking card in hand. It would not look the least bit out of place in a PSA 7 holder, IMO:

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Walter,

The Podres is stunning...top right corner is touched but looks like an easy 7 to me. What a beauty!

Congrats

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff! You are correct about the top right corner, but there sure is not much else wrong with it. And even that corner isn't too bad. I've definitely seen worse on cards that graded considerably higher.
    It's definitely the nicest card in my set (if you can call it a "set" at this point, LOL) so far.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Well guys I have some bad news, I have decided that I am not going to build this set for the forseeable future. Without going into detials, the financial commitment is just to great at this time. So I will probably be selling the PSA 7's and 7.5's that I have picked up to date. I will through a list up later today. Good Luck to the rest of you on the set!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Bummer, Matt. But you gotta do what ya gotta do. Maybe you can pick it back up at some point.

A couple of pretty decent months for me. The next card I acquire will push me over the 90% mark. Here's a couple of highlights:

This Cubs Team card had an obscenely high opening bid which tends to scare off some potential bidders. I picked it up for a hair over VCP average. The centering is beautiful on this one.

Atwell's tend to be morbidly OC, (I haven't seen an uncut sheet, but it has to be a corner card) so when this one appeared with a BIN of $68, I couldn't hit the BIN button fast enough. If the seller would have run it as a straight auction, I'm sure it would have fetched triple digits.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Fantastic cards mrpeanut; perfect centering on both. Love 'em!
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Very nice cards.

I just picked up a Monte Irvin in a PSA 6. I post scans when I get it in the mail.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Please keep us updated on how your sets are going. I love to monitor everybody's progress.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I recently picked up this Jackie Robinson. I thought I would post my 2 other 56's as well.

I am not looking to do this set. Just picked them up for the heck of it.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    I said I was going for well centered PSA 6/6.5 cards- and that's still the goal- but I simply couldn't say no to this one. I wish I had a better scanner, because this scan doesn't really do it justice. 6% complete, and now I'm taking a break for real. This time I mean it. image

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Walter...so much for your 6/6.5 set. That Jackie is a REAL nice card. Would be very proud to own that one. Keep up the good work.

Jeff
  • Options
    That's a beauty Walter. Is that the one that recently ended on eBay? I had my eye on that one, but the scan was on the funky side. Like it was warped or something. I can see now that I clearly lost out on that one.
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Walter- I thought my Jackie was nice, until seeing yours. Great card!

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options

<< <i>Is that the one that recently ended on eBay? >>

Yup, that's the one. Last Thursday maybe? It did have the warped scan or photo..... but the pic was good enough that I could tell it had the kind of centering I was looking for, and no tilt. I didn't really have the money to spend on it right then, but what the hell.
    I sure was happy with my lack of willpower once I opened up that bubble mailer- it's a stunning card. One of the nicest cards I own.

I'm still going to primarily focus on well centered 6's and 6.5's, but I may stray to the dark side every now and then and go a little higher.

Shawn, your Jackie is an awesome card also! The centering is even better than on mine- it's perfect!
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Since you guys like Jackie...here is a few of mine! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Jeff