Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Brett,

Nice cards as usual...the Miller is tough! I am down to needing 25 cards for the master set but sure don't see any of them often unless they are ridiculous BINs. Sure hope we both don't need the same last 10%. Keep updating the thread as you make progress.

Jeff

PS...the new 56 collector we left notes about never responded??
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brett,

Nice cards as usual...the Miller is tough! I am down to needing 25 cards for the master set but sure don't see any of them often unless they are ridiculous BINs. Sure hope we both don't need the same last 10%. Keep updating the thread as you make progress.

Jeff

PS...the new 56 collector we left notes about never responded?? >>

Jeff,

Down to the final 25? Wow! That's awesome. Any plans to finish this year? I'll have to check your set sometime to see how many cards we both need.

Did you see that there's another set break on eBay? The first couple I looked at were pretty rough, but I did find a few that I liked well enough to put on my watch list.

No idea what happened to the new guy. It would be nice to have some more participants in this thread.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Brett,

Thanks for the heads up on the set break. I will take a look and see what I need.

Jeff

PS...sending you a PM.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Here are my latest pick ups...down to 25 that I need to finish set. Getting tough to find one's I need.

Jeff

• Options
    Welcome new 56 collectors Paul and Matt...lots of info and pics in this thread. Let us know how we can help.

Jeff
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome new 56 collectors Paul and Matt...lots of info and pics in this thread. Let us know how we can help.

Jeff >>

Thanks Jeff, and thanks for the heads up about this thread. I had found it before, but I finally sat down and read the whole thing today. I just picked up some more 56's this week and once I have them all in hand I will post everything I have....and another thank you for the small lot I picked up from you. You guys are light years ahead of me with your sets and a little better grade then I am looking to collect. I'm going to focus on picking up cards ranging from 5 to 7 that are nicely centered. I hope to continue learning about the set, I just hope I have enough cash to keep this going consistently.
    Thanks again,

Paul
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Welcome new 56 collectors Paul and Matt...lots of info and pics in this thread. Let us know how we can help. >>

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff you have been a tremendous help already. I appreciate it. This is going to be a SLOW going set for me. I really want to complete my Clemente Basic set before really diving into this, and as Paul said above me, Cash will be the key. I am going to look to do the set in PSA 7ish grade overall. Thanks again for the nice welcome.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome new 56 collectors Paul and Matt...lots of info and pics in this thread. Let us know how we can help. >>

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff you have been a tremendous help already. I appreciate it. This is going to be a SLOW going set for me. I really want to complete my Clemente Basic set before really diving into this, and as Paul said above me, Cash will be the key. I am going to look to do the set in PSA 7ish grade overall. Thanks again for the nice welcome. >>

Hey Matt,
    I think I'm going to start the Musial Basic set, that way we can do all the same sets! I'm just kidding, your sets kick the crap out of my sets!! I look forward to seeing our sets grow together. Like someone said earlier in the thread, it is going to be nice to have someone to talk to when collecting, maybe we could help each other out.

Paul
  • Options
    Paul, Would love to have you join me on the Musial Set. I guess we have good taste in what we like to collect. It will be fun working on the set at the same time. Just made my first purchase of cards that will get me up to 5%. Will put pictures up when I get the cards in the mail.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul, Would love to have you join me on the Musial Set. I guess we have good taste in what we like to collect. It will be fun working on the set at the same time. Just made my first purchase of cards that will get me up to 5%. Will put pictures up when I get the cards in the mail. >>

I would like to get at least a few of Stan's cards, but I would like to focus on finishing the ONE card I need for the Clemente Basic and then the '56 set. If you or anyone else knows of anyone with a well centered '55 Clemente PSA 4, please let me know.
  • Options

<< <i>If you or anyone else knows of anyone with a well centered '55 Clemente PSA 4, please let me know >>

Paul, I have been on the lookout for a really nice PSA 5 for you. Tough to come by that arent grossly over priced.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome new 56 collectors Paul and Matt...lots of info and pics in this thread. Let us know how we can help.

Jeff >>

Yeah. Welcome aboard guys. Looking forward to seeing the progress of your sets. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. I started my set on June 14, 2001 when I won my Mantle at the old Teletrade Auctions. So don't feel pressured to finish the set in record breaking time. Stick to the goals you set and grind it out like me if you have to.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Here is what I have so far...(scan heavy)...I still have about 7 or 8 in the mail.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you or anyone else knows of anyone with a well centered '55 Clemente PSA 4, please let me know >>

Paul, I have been on the lookout for a really nice PSA 5 for you. Tough to come by that arent grossly over priced. >>

I appreciate that, I've been looking as well, the 5's were so far out of my price range that I started to look for 4s. Even those are priced BIN's $100-$200 over VCP average.

I almost won a '56 Hank Aaron (Willie Mays) PSA 6 tonight, but I was sniped. I hope it wasn't anyone on here, because I believe I went over VCP average and I still lost it! It was a pretty 6 too '56 Hank Aaron PSA 6, but I will live to BID another day.
  • Options
    Paul,

Nice looking cards for the start of your 56 set. I took a look at the Aaron that you missed out on. Was an absolute beauty and perfectly centered. On a card like that I would expect to pay 25 to 50 percent over vcp average. Remember vcp is just a guide and it is an average price. The really nice cards like this Aaron should be expected to sell for way over average.

Jeff
  • Options
    Well, I thought I did bid up, just not enough. I don't have VCP, so I was looking at previous completed Ebay listings, I guess I should have known better. Oh well, I can wait till next time and I can still use that money for the Clemente rookie that I'm still looking for.
  • Options
    Here are three more cards that I received in the mail today, I guess I'm off to quick start, but the fun money is running out quick!

• Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    awesome guys!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously considering starting this set. This thread is to blame. image
  • Options
    Bob,

Glad to do my part in this...the more guys working on the set the better.

Jeff
  • Options
    Here's what I got in the mail today. Special thanks to Jeff8877 for the following cards (except the Atwell).

I don't have anymore '56s coming in the mail. I have a few on my watch list, so we will see.
    I'm 7% comlete with 24 cards obtained so far.
  • Options
    Great Stuff Paul! I'm still waiting on Jeff to hit me with a price on a Kaline card for my set. Can't wait to get my first 17 cards in and get them up on the thread.

<< <i>Seriously considering starting this set. This thread is to blame. >>

Bob, You need to get in on the fun. This will be by far the longest most enduring set that I will have ever done. I am giving myself 5 years to knock it out.
  • Options
    Here is the Kaline Matt is trying to talk me out of...probably the nicest 7 I have ever seen. Will see...

Jeff

• Options
    Hey guys,
    What does everyone keep their cards in? Are there cardboard boxes meant specifically for PSA slabs? Is there a website that sells them? How many does each box hold? I would love a box that would hold the complete '56 set in it. (I can't afford Matt's cases at this time, though I think they are awesome!)

Thanks,

Paul
  • Options
    Matt, Im in the same boat you're in. I was thinking of doing it in PSA 7. I'll do it slowly....looking for nicely centered 7s. That was a beautiful lot you bought from Burgundy. I was gonna grab it if you decided not to. Good luck, and I will be sure to post when my journey begins.

Jeff, That Kaline is spectacular!
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Matt probably doesnt want to hear this but no way I sell that card in that holder. I crack it out looking for way higher. I know it is only a scan but that has to be atleast an 8.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the Kaline Matt is trying to talk me out of...probably the nicest 7 I have ever seen. Will see...

Jeff

image >>

What's the hold up? I'll pull the trigger!
  • Options

<< <i>Matt, Im in the same boat you're in. I was thinking of doing it in PSA 7. I'll do it slowly....looking for nicely centered 7s. That was a beautiful lot you bought from Burgundy. I was gonna grab it if you decided not to. Good luck, and I will be sure to post when my journey begins.

Jeff, That Kaline is spectacular! >>

How come no one reminded me about Burgandy's sale? I knew he was going to throw some up on the BST and I forgot to check!!
  • Options

<< <i>Matt probably doesnt want to hear this but no way I sell that card in that holder. I crack it out looking for way higher. I know it is only a scan but that has to be atleast an 8. >>

LOL, Well the card was for sale and now is no longer, so no Kaline for Matt!

<< <i>What does everyone keep their cards in? Are there cardboard boxes meant specifically for PSA slabs? Is there a website that sells them? How many does each box hold? I would love a box that would hold the complete '56 set in it. >>

Paul, I am keeping my set in one of my graded card cases. I have a large case that I rarely advertise for sale that will hold 350 cards, so it will house this set perfectly.

<< <i>That was a beautiful lot you bought from Burgundy. I was gonna grab it if you decided not to. >>

Wasn't that a fantastic lot that Burgundy had for sale. Those cards are all marvolously centered, I wish I could build my entire set with cards that nice. RB, gave me a nice price as well, I really apprecaited that! He got me started on this quest! Can't wait to recieve them.
  • Options
    All right, I'm in. It will probably take me at least three decades, and I might die before I ever see the finish line...... but dammit, I'm IN. The journey begins with my EBay purchase from board member asw37, pictured below. One down, 341 to go!!! image
    (I also have the Clemente and the Aaron, but they kind of don't count b/c they are part of the basic player sets I'm working on.)

Question for the experts: When the time comes (probably in 2011 or 2012), what is the price range that I should realistically expect to pay for a well centered Mickey Charles Mantle PSA 6 white back? BIN prices on EBay are all over the map, and VCP can only tell you so much where that kind of card is concerned.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>All right, I'm in. It will probably take me at least three decades, and I might die before I ever see the finish line...... but dammit, I'm IN >>

LOL, I am loving it! There are four of us now on these boards just starting this set. Let's make sure we are all there to support each other. I want to see all of us finishing this set. It will be a monster, but the beer taste's so much better when its all over!
  • Options
    Welcome! Remember it's a marathon not a sprint! I can't believe I started it either, but it's going to be a blast. I hope to finish it in 5 years, I guess that depends on so many different things in the future. I have no clue home much the Mantle will cost. I guess that's the one and only Mantle I'll probably ever own, so I might as well make it a good one. (My wife is going to be pissed when she finds out how much this set is going to cost!) Oh well!
    Good luck,
    Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It will be fun for me to watch you build your sets from the beginning. Unless I win the lottery, I will not be remotely close to finishing this set in five years...... this will be kind of a 'one or two cards per month' side project.
    I'm only going for PSA 6/6.5- but I plan to be very picky about centering. It will be a marathon and then some.

<< <i>I guess that's the one and only Mantle I'll probably ever own, so I might as well make it a good one. >>

Paul, I am in the same boat you are. One of the reasons I am choosing this set is that it forces me to finally buy a nice Mantle!!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Welcome Walter,

I can't believe how many guys are going to start this set all of the sudden. Brett and I have been keeping the thread alive for the past year and posting some pics of are purchases. This is awesome that all you guys are on board. I have been at it about two years and am now about 90% complete. If anyone has any questions about tough cards, team card variations, white backs versus grays etc...please let me know. I will be glad to share what I have picked up over the last couple years.

I would say a nice PSA 6 Mantle with a gray back would go for between $600 to $700.

Jeff

PS...I also have these doubles that I have picked up along the way if anyone is interested. Will work something fair out.

Description Grade
    1956 TOPPS 11 CUBS TEAM NO DATE, NAME LEFT-WHITE BK. 6MK
    1956 TOPPS 72 PHILLIES TEAM NO DATE, NME CNTR.WHT.BK. 7
    1956 TOPPS 103 WILLIE MIRANDA GRAY BACK 7
    1956 TOPPS 111 RED SOX TEAM GRAY BACK 6
    1956 TOPPS 130 WILLIE MAYS GRAY BACK 5
    1956 TOPPS 146 NATIONALS TEAM GRAY BACK 6.5
    1956 TOPPS 164 HARMON KILLEBREW GRAY BACK 6
    1956 TOPPS 169 BOB NELSON GRAY BACK 7
    1956 TOPPS 178 JOE BLACK GRAY BACK 7.5
    1956 TOPPS 241 DON MUELLER 7
    1956 TOPPS 243 SHERM LOLLAR 7
    1956 TOPPS 248 BOB PORTERFIELD 7
    1956 TOPPS 305 BROOKS LAWRENCE 7
    1956 TOPPS 325 DON LIDDLE 7
    1956 TOPPS 340 MICKEY McDERMOTT 5.5

• Options
    Ok...Im in. Just won a few 56s on ebay. Its gonna be a long road, but a fun thread!
  • Options

<< <i>Ok...Im in. Just won a few 56s on ebay. Its gonna be a long road, but a fun thread! >>

Wow! Great to see so much action on this thread. Good luck to all the guys starting this set. Just an fyi, but Cardboard Classics Auction just started today featuring a number of 56s. I can't vouch for their auctions as I've only dealt with them on eBay, but thought I would share.
  • Options
    Don't forget about us LURKERS. I have been in and out of the 56's for years. Maybe alot of the activity will give me that much needed push.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget about us LURKERS. I have been in and out of the 56's for years. Maybe alot of the activity will give me that much needed push.

Dave >>

Come out and join us, the more support we have the better!

Whooo Hooo!!!! 400th Post!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Added 17 cards to my set yesterday. I dont have time to put them all in Photobucket, but wanted to share the Ed Mathews.

• Options
    Matt,

Extremely nice card...this years set when centered looks spectacular in my opinion. Nice start to the journey.

Jeff
  • Options
    Hey Matt,

What else did you pick up?

Jeff,

What's your set registry name?
  • Options
    Guys,

Not sure if you have all started the basic or master sets. The master set includes three variations for six of the team cards which are pretty difficult.

Paul...my sets are... 1956 Sweet Master Set and 1956 Sweet Set

Jeff
  • Options
    Wonderful card, Matt! Very jealous.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>Wonderful card, Matt! Very jealous. >>

Thanks very much Jasen.

<< <i>What else did you pick up? >>

Paul, I picked up another 16 commons in addition to the Mathews. I put them in my set along with scans, but I am to lazy to upload 16 more cards into Photobucket.

I am doing the Basic Set. That will be hard enough as it is, without all the variations.
  • Options
    Nice stuff Matt. You're off to a great start. Something tells me you are gonna complete this set quicker than you planned.
  • Options
    Just picked up card #2 on the Bay. Look out, "Ruby"! I'm gunnin' for ya!

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Jasen, Great Looking card.
  • Options

<< <i>Just picked up card #2 on the Bay. Look out, "Ruby"! I'm gunnin' for ya!

image >>

Nice pick up. I just picked up a few more (Thank you, Jeff and RonB). I added them to the registry, but I haven't had time to upload the scans yet. I'm almost at 9% now, but I definitely need to slow down.
  • Options
    Pdub,
    I will have to look at my stack of cards, but I am sure I have a few doubles in 6 and 7 that I might be willing to move.

I wish I could find someone willing to take some 57's for some 56's as I have about 40 extra 57's right now.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA