Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else find the white backs less desirable? For some reason I dont care for them, they do fetch a premium as far as I know- and why are only a hundred or so of them white backs?
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I really do not like the white backs. To me it throws off the "flow" of the set. I have a few and I'm thinking about replacing them with the gray backs just to keep my set uniform.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Re: the white backs. Personally, I don't care either way. However, I've noticed that some of the white backs have kind of a "dirty" look. Don't know if this scan is good enough, but this Tanner is an example.

On a related note, last night on eBay I noticed cards with the variation listed on the flip. I don't think I've ever seen this before. Is this the new flip, or did older flips list gray back or white back?
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    They never listed the white/grey back variation on the flip from what I have seen. I just checked Levi's websight and he has his 56's listed as "WB" and "GB" and neither had that info on the flip.
  • Options
    Seeing them side by side I really prefer the gray backs. IMO white backs look cheesy.

I too noticed that some of the flips on eBay are labeled WB/GB. Maybe newer ones or requested?
    Robert

• Options
    February additions to my set. This puts me at 179/342, with two SGC 88's that need crossed over. So, roughly 53% of the set.

Only my 2nd and 3rd team cards. It's been a real chore to find any that have good enough centering for me. And if you do, they go for big $$.

Some really nice cards on eBay this past month. Prewarcardcollector offered virtually all of the key cards in the set in 7 or 8 and made a killing. Later in the month, Kurtz Kardz had a beautiful Pirates Team in 8.5 that I bid on but was blown out of the water. It went for $650. They also had a Noren in 9 that I knew was hopeless for me, so I didn't bother bidding. It went for over $1000.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Very nice team cards Mr.P!!
  • Options
    Nice pick ups. I like the Piersall. Good looking card. I'm gonna have to get on the ball and try to get 100 by summer. I have started a 1960 set but would like to have '56 out of the way first.
    Robert

• Options
    Does anyone have a Psa 7 or 8 Chuck Tanner that they want to sell?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pick ups. I like the Piersall. Good looking card. I'm gonna have to get on the ball and try to get 100 by summer. I have started a 1960 set but would like to have '56 out of the way first. >>

Yeah. Those paintings on the card are what make this set great imo. They were based on original photos. There was a thread a while back about sources for the art on cards and there were a number of photos posted based on the 56 set. That was a really cool thread. I may try to dig it up tonight.

Lots of nice action shots with stars making a cameo. Just off the top of my head: # 143 Piersall sliding into Yogi, # 125 Minoso sliding into Rizzuto and # 247 Robinson sliding into Sarni.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    and of course Aaron sliding on MAYS card!
  • Options
    March additions to my set. Up to 182/342 (plus 3 SGC 88's to crack/cross).

I put in a lowball bid on this one because I had hit a dry spell. 3 weeks and no new cards. Pleasantly surprised that it was much nicer in person than the ebay scan. First of the new slabs for me too.

My third SGC 88. Millard Fillmore "Dixie" Howell.

My first two cards with the back variation on the flip. Two pretty good right fielders as well.
  • Options
    Wow! I love that Clemente. Very nice cards!!
    Robert

• Options
    Here are the April additions to my set. I currently have 190 out of 342 cards (55%) broken down as follows: 160 PSA 7s, 26 PSA 8s, 3 SGC 88s and 1 PSA 7.5. A new player has entered the 56 game. He is ravenously scarfing up PSA 8s, with money being no object. Luckily for me, he's only going after 8s, so maybe I can still snatch up a 7 from time to time.

My first .5. There was an 8.5 up around the same time that went for $130. I was pleased to get this one for about $25.

• Options
    Nice pickups!!! I too have noticed a "new" player wanting and getting the 8s. Like you said the 7s should be readily available. Good luck on getting your set done.
    Robert

• Options

<< <i>Nice pickups!!! I too have noticed a "new" player wanting and getting the 8s. Like you said the 7s should be readily available. Good luck on getting your set done. >>

Karb,

He's sniped me three times recently when I put in very competetive bids. I've got a bunch of stuff on my watch list this week including a real nice low pop 8 that this new guy hasn't grabbed yet. I'm almost ready to concede it to him as it may just be hopeless. There's also a low pop 8 that he already has. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with what he has and won't look to upgrade. That would really get me steamed. I haven't studied the registry too much so I don't know if he's on there or not. Any ideas?
  • Options
    flash300flash300 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Have a Koufax PSA 9 in my bucket taking offers

Let me know
  • Options
    Here are the May additions to my set. I'm at 198/342 (58+%) with the following breakdown: PSA 7's 162, PSA 8's 30, PSA 7.5's 3 and SGC 88's 3.

The Harridge and the Snider are the HOFers, but the Courtney and Jones are pretty tough low pops. The Courtney in fact now represents the most I've ever paid for a common. From my small sample size, it would appear that 7.5s are making collectors shrug their shoulders. I have three now. All nicely centered and I got each of them for what I feel a nicely centered 7 is worth (if not less).
  • Options
    Great pickups. Keep it up!!
    Robert

• Options

<< <i>Great pickups. Keep it up!! >>

• Options
    The most beautiful set ever! The headshot lets you "know" the player. i.e. you could pick them out in a crowd. The action shot makes you feel like you are at the game, especially the slides and the leaps!!... Jim Rivera, Mickey, and Clemente especially.

Take a look at these card combinations.

and these two...

The only thing that I might have liked better...would be if the name & team "tags" were colored the same with team-mates.

P.S. Some of the cartoons on the back are hilarious.
  • Options
    Some recent additions to my HOF collection

• Options
    I had this set about %70 complete in PSA 7 with a few 8's but had to sell it a few years back. image
    I have been buying up some raw cards lately and have had some good sucess. Well I probebly should wait until I get the grades back because my last submission was off. I picked up a #5 Ted Williams which ended up being a pleasant surprise after seeing it in hand. The kicker is that it is a grey back and according to the pop report, there have been about 2,140 total white backs graded but only 38 grey backs. With such a spread, is the grey back worth more? I really never payed attention to the back colors when putting the set together. To me the Team cards with three types were more appealing to putting together the "master set".
  • Options

<< <i>The most beautiful set ever! The headshot lets you "know" the player. i.e. you could pick them out in a crowd. The action shot makes you feel like you are at the game, especially the slides and the leaps!!... Jim Rivera, Mickey, and Clemente especially.

Take a look at these card combinations.

and these two...

The only thing that I might have liked better...would be if the name & team "tags" were colored the same with team-mates.

P.S. Some of the cartoons on the back are hilarious. >>

Wow. I never noticed that. The Berra and Woodling isn't that bad, but I don't like the Wilson and Harris. Wilson pitched previously for the Braves, so I guess it's possible he's running the bases. I was under the impression that all of the artwork was from actual photos of the actual players. There's the famous Aaron card where it's actually Mays sliding into home. I wonder how many other errors there are. Still a beautiful set.
  • Options

<< <i>Some recent additions to my HOF collection

image >>

Since my main focus is on centering, I've recently contemplated if I should look for the stars in PSA 6 as well as PSA 7. I can't afford the biggie's in 8 and those 6's are still a nice looking card. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>I had this set about %70 complete in PSA 7 with a few 8's but had to sell it a few years back. image
    I have been buying up some raw cards lately and have had some good sucess. Well I probebly should wait until I get the grades back because my last submission was off. I picked up a #5 Ted Williams which ended up being a pleasant surprise after seeing it in hand. The kicker is that it is a grey back and according to the pop report, there have been about 2,140 total white backs graded but only 38 grey backs. With such a spread, is the grey back worth more? I really never payed attention to the back colors when putting the set together. To me the Team cards with three types were more appealing to putting together the "master set". >>

Re: the white back vs. gray back. I think PSA just started to differentiate the back on the flips right before they started the half grades. So I could be wrong, but I think the pop reports are skewed with white backs and gray backs. Since the majority of the cards 1-100 are white backs I think PSA lists all cards graded before that point as white backs in the pop report. And since the majority of cards 101-180 are gray backs the same holds true for this series as well.
  • Options
    Well that certainly makes sence since I saw at least 5 Williams cards all graded by PSA with GB's sell in the last week! Thanks for the info.

My recent pick ups:

I got the Kell, Droppo and Tigers Team card from these auctions!
  • Options
    Mr. Peanut,

Another interesting note on the set is the mumber of times Yogi Berra appears on other player's cards (It's probably like 10 cards). Many of the action shots were taken at NYC ballparks. You see many Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants in the backgrounds of action shots.
  • Options
    June proved to be a huge month for me as I was able to add 14 cards to my set. I moved over the 200 card mark and my set now stands at 212/342 with 168 PSA 7s, 36 PSA 8s, 4 PSA 7.5s and 4 SGC 88s. There were a ton of cards available on eBay last month. Early in the month I believe every card was available in 7 or 8 including the team variations. Seems like there have been a number of set breaks recently with a couple in the last month and a complete PSA 8 set up for auction this month. Here are my additions from the tough 3rd series.

I was ecstatic to get that Bruton so well centered. That's one of the many cards in the set that are notoriously OC. In addition to the above cards, I also got: #53 Portocarrero PSA 8, #92 Wilson PSA 7, #115 Jensen PSA 7, #132 Avila PSA 8, #151 Jacobs PSA 8, #155 Kuenn PSA 7, #174 Gorbous SGC 88, #261 Shantz PSA 7, #276 Zuverink PSA 8 and #280 Gilliam PSA 7.

Edit:Sorry about the huge scans. I thought I had resized them.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Beautiful cards guys!! I am becoming more of a fan of this set everyday..Frrreeeeshhh back from PSA

• Options
    ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    That Burgess is a beauty! That was the first vintage card I ever got, back about 1992. It's kinda beat up, but I still have it and its still one of my favorites.

Mike
  • Options
    Still plugging away. Added 3 cards to my set in July. The tally now stands at: 215/342 with 168 PSA 7s, 38 PSA 8s, 5 SGC 88s and 4 PSA 7.5s. Note the cracked slab on the Howard that happened while in transit from the seller to me. Luckily the card was not damaged.

• Options
    This is the only set where you can get all the Brooklyn Dodger stars. Topps and Bowman split them up in previous years.
  • Options
    Added 4 cards to my set in August to hit 64% (including 5 SGCs that need cracked and crossed).

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great cards mrpeanut. That Berra is off the charts! I am new to building this set, but look forward to the journey.
  • Options

<< <i>Great cards mrpeanut. That Berra is off the charts! I am new to building this set, but look forward to the journey. >>

Thanks. I had to dig deep for that Berra. I started this set back in 2001, but I've really gotten serious in the last couple of years. It really is a neat set. You start to get a feel for the nuances when you search eBay on a daily basis. It shouldn't be super hard to complete the set in 7s and 8s as every card will show up on eBay at least 10 times per year. That's just PSA. I've picked up some nice SGCs along the way as well. Haven't ventured into the GAIs though. Good luck with your set and I'd love to get more people to scan their pickups on this thread.
  • Options
    September pickups for my set. I hit the 65% mark with 223 of the 342 cards in the set.

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    My new favorite card purchased with the Microsoft 30% off. What do you all think about a 7.5?

Jeff

Here is another one I hope has a chance at a 7.5 or better.

And this one for my set...the 56s sure look nice when they are centered.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    This is one of my all-time favorite sets and probably the one that got me interested in vintage cards to begin with. I wish I still had the Bob Speake I picked up at Belz Factory Outlet Mall when I was a kid for under a buck. It was probably a NMish kinda card, but as a dumb little kid, I remember purposely flinging it against walls and stuff to "make it look really old." I think I've started and stopped this set at least four times, but am considering another run after winning an SGC 86 Robin Roberts tonight. At the very least, I'll try to pick up some of my favorite Hall of Famers and maybe go after Cards and Dodgers team sets. If anybody happens to have any SGC-graded or raw stuff in the NM ballpark available, feel free to drop me a PM.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My new favorite card purchased with the Microsoft 30% off. What do you all think about a 7.5?

Jeff

Here is another one I hope has a chance at a 7.5 or better.

And this one for my set...the 56s sure look nice when they are centered.

image >>

Wow Jeff! You're not kidding around here. Three of the biggies out of the way. That Mantle is amazing. Definitely send that in for review.
    I missed that Robinson. I usually only look at SGC 86s and above. I might have to change my strategy. Nice find. I was underbidder on a real nice PSA 8 Robinson a week or so ago.

Cracking out the SGCs? Or reviews? Let us know the results regardless.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Another key card added for the set...

• Options
    Added 4 more in October. Up to 227/342.

• Options
    i love this set..i just got a lol psa-1 willie mays..but i still love it.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Hi Brett...those are some more nice cards. Seems like the quantity of nice 56s has slowed down considerably. Good luck with the set.

Jeff
  • Options
    i am building a very low grade raw 56 set, so if any of you have any for sale or trade let me know so far all i have is willie mays
    #3,19,27,53,66,76
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Hello,
    Listed are doubles of my 1956 Topps set. I am working on. I am interested in trading for PSA 7s only as that is my goal to finish the set in all 7s.
    PSA 7
    35 - Al "Flip" Rosen
    60 - Mayo Smith
    62 - Hal Smith
    63 - Roger Craig
    66 - Speake
    67 - Vic Powers
    71 - Sullivan
    74 - King
    119 - Jackson
    133 - Marleski
    305 - Lawrence

PSA 7 (ST)
    300 - Wertz

I am sending in a bulk submission of '56 Topps, 2001 Topps Arch Autos, and some T206 for grading (PSA) soon so I will probably have more to list after Christmas. If you want to see what cards I am after, take a look at my sets on the PSA Registy (Registry name is "Farm_kid")
  • Options
    Sorry about the last post, I should have found the Buy Sell Trade boards first. To make up for my faux pas, I will give a little 1956 Topps Trivia. Stan Musial is in the 1956 Topps Set............He is shown and listed on the Team Card #134. He is the furthest to the left sitting on the bench.
  • Options
    Farmkidd...send me your email address or turn on your private messages so I can contact you. I am also working on this set and have some doubles to trade.

Jeff
    jeff58@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I need alot of 56's and dont have much to trade, but would trade my extra 57's for some 56's if anyone is interested. I have about 20 PSA7's available from the 57 set.

I am getting a list together of the 56's I need. I have many cards that I plan to sub to PSA that should get 6-8 range. I do have "holes" in my set that have cards that will not grade that high and I woould like to start picking them up alittle at a time.
    I should mention I do have 2 complete raw sets of 56's and have only graded the ones listed in the registry under my next set. Many of the cards will get 7's or higher leaving me say 75 cards to fill in thru trading and ebay.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)