Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jeff-

God, those are great. I've gone back to this thread three times already just to look at them.

When you decide you're tired of baseball cards, you should sell me that '53!! image

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

I knew you collected the 55 set and some 60s sets I think. But do you collect all of those 50s sets as well. Really nice.

What's the story on that 56? Does it still reside in the SGC holder?
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys,

Brett...I started out collecting sets from when I was a kid and had some of the cards from my childhood. Was putting together a 60, 64, 65, 66 and 67 set. Got up to around 75% complete on them and kind of lost interest and saw some of the sets from the 50s. Then started selling off my 60s stuff to build a 53, 54, 55 and 56 set. This is what I am currently focused on. I still have a bunch of cards from the 60s that are PSA 7/8s that I need to sell one of these days so I can make more progress on my 50s sets (probably around 500 cards).

Jeff

PS...the 56 Jackie that I loved I cracked out and it came back as trimmed. I just don't see it and will try again soon.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up these two recently, just too lazy to scan them till now.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    SOLD, Thanks!
  • Options
    A couple new additions. Picked up the Duke in a trade with Matt (MBMiller25).... so even though Matt's not going after the '56 set right now, at least we kept Duke in the family.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Great cards Walter...the Duke is very nice as is the Roberts. Matt had a very nice start on this set but glad they went to someone who will enjoy them.

Here is a pic of a card that I have been looking for a couple of years now...difficult to find centered.

Jeff

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great additions guys! I purchased 6 commons from Matt for my set. Beautifully centered cards at a great price. I'll have to start getting some scans up.
  • Options
    Good pick ups guys. I tried to pull the trigger on some of Matts cards, but I was late each time. Matt said it was so I could focus my money on the Clemente rookie.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Nice Pee Wee very nice centering.

Jason, Super nice Duke as well as that Robin Roberts.

Paul, I'm still waiting for you to buy that Clemente. I can't wait to see it!!!

I picked this card up two weeks ago for my Clemente set, but since it's a 56 I wanted to share with the group. Now I need the tough white back

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Very nice pickups, Jeff and Bobby!
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    I'm in semi-hibernation right now, but here's one nice pickup I made before I crawled into the cave......

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Less than 30 to go. Some recent highlights:

Very excited to pick up the Koufax. There's a scuff on the slab, so any weird discoloration on his face is the result of that. Coming into this year I still needed arguably 3 of the 5 biggest cards in the set, Aaron, Robinson and Koufax. It was kind of in the back of my mind that I wanted to grab one of those this year if I could. So when the Koufax appeared on eBay with a relatively reasonable BIN, I jumped on it.

Also, I'd always been impressed with the quality of scans from the Epson scanners, so like many other CU members I recently bought an Epson v300 scanner. These scans are right out of the box, so some tweaking may be required.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Nice pick-ups. I'm holding onto my money to get a Clemente rookie. Still waiting to find one with a reasonable price tag.
  • Options
    Brett,

Nice cards as usual! I really like the Koufax as it is one of my favorites of him and tough to find centered like that. I am down to needing 18 cards for the Master Set but finding it very difficult to find any. I think it has been two months since I have added one to my set. There have been some but like you am picky about centering.

Jeff

PS...I started working on a raw 57 set with graded stars. I know you guys like centered cards so thought I would share a couple.

• Options
    Jeff,

Love the 57s. If I ever finish the 56 set, that set is in the running to be my next 50s set.
  • Options
    Very nice cards posted recently! That Koufax is just awesome.
    Here are two cards I purchased with some of the proceeds from breaking up my Yastrzemski registry set. The Campy was purchased on EBay from Don Spence (I guess he must have upgraded), and the Red Sox team card was purchased from board member Mickey71. Both flawless transactions.

Up to about 13% now.....

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>Very nice cards posted recently! That Koufax is just awesome.
    Here are two cards I purchased with some of the proceeds from breaking up my Yastrzemski registry set. The Campy was purchased on EBay from Don Spence (I guess he must have upgraded), and the Red Sox team card was purchased from board member Mickey71. Both flawless transactions.

Up to about 13% now.....

image >>

Good stuff! I notice you've been posting 7s and 8s lately. Are you still taking PSA 6s? Personally, I started out shooting for a straight 7 set. But unfortunately for my wallet, I completed about half the set and started looking for 8s too.

Did anybody (Jeff?) win anything in the recent Steve Novella set break? I grabbed 3 more and am down to needing 25 to complete my set.

• Options
    Brett,

I didn't win anything, although he only had two that I needed that I even considered do to centering. It's been so long since I picked up a card I needed an beginning to wonder if I will ever finish.

Glad you picked up a couple more...nice cards as usual.

Jeff

Since I have no 56s to post here is a nice 57 that I picked up...

• Options

<< <i>Are you still taking PSA 6s? >>

Absolutely. I have a few PSA 6 commons coming this week, in fact.
    At this point, I am more concerned about centering and lack of print issues than I am about the number grade. I set the minimum grade where I did because it seems to me that PSA 6 is the lowest "there's nothing seriously wrong with this card" grade.

My idea for this set when I first started was nicely centered 6's across the board- but obviously that plan has gone way the hell out the window. image
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    I'm glad to see some nice pick ups. Since I've been on pause with this set (still looking for the Clemente rookie) I haven't bought much at all. But to keep my addiction going, I did pick up a nice Winfield rookie in a PSA 8.5. I'll post when I get it in the mail.
  • Options
    As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, I picked up 3 cards from the recent Steve Novella Set Break and am down to needing just 25 cards to complete the Basic set.

I've been outbid a number of times on 56 Boyer cards. I know Cardinal fans love him, but the definition of a semi-star imo. A card that will sell for more in Missouri than in Central PA.

A PSA 8 Kaiser inexplicably went for over $600 in the last Novella Set Break in March. Glad to pick this one up for around VCP average.

Unfortunately VCP average wasn't getting it done for this Reese. It's been discussed previously on this thread, but one of the tougher HOF'ers in the set to find centered.

Finally, not from the Novella set break, but super happy to snag this one at a not crazy-high BIN. Perenially in the Top 3 for lowest POPs in the set.

• Options
    Hey everyone,
    So, I've been doing some thinking and I think I'm going to stop collecting the '56 set. I have about 40 or so of the cards and I think I'm going to sell and use that money to focus on my Clemente rookie and maybe a newer focus. I'm not saying that I will NEVER collect the '56 set, but I think I'm going to have to wait on that till a lot later.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how I should go about selling the cards I have? Individually? Groups? Auction? BIN? Start them at $9.99 and see what happens?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey everyone,
    So, I've been doing some thinking and I think I'm going to stop collecting the '56 set. I have about 40 or so of the cards and I think I'm going to sell and use that money to focus on my Clemente rookie and maybe a newer focus. I'm not saying that I will NEVER collect the '56 set, but I think I'm going to have to wait on that till a lot later.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how I should go about selling the cards I have? Individually? Groups? Auction? BIN? Start them at $9.99 and see what happens?
    Thanks for your help. >>

Paul,

I would sell the higher-end ones you have individually.... and the ones you have that might sell for $10 or less in groups of 2-4 (with same grades together). Probably BIN w/BO option would be the best way to go with the market the way it is right now.
    Also, I would recommend getting a one-day membership to VCP before setting your prices, if you don't currently have a membership.

Either way, you should post scans and prices on the board first!! image
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Paul,

Sorry to hear that but I understand your dilema. You have been after that Clemente for a long time. Most of us don't have unlimited funds for hobbies and we all must make trade-offs at one point or another...I certainly have.

As for how to sell them...I would recommend getting a one day vcp pass for $3 so you know what they are worth. Would then do auctions since so many people don't even look at BINs. I would start the auctions at the minimum you are willing to take...probably 10% below vcp and see what happens. I think you usually do better individually versus lots as people buying lots are looking for a bargain versus a card they need.

Good luck!

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks guys,
    When I get home tonight, I'll list the card #s and their grade, but I'm going to have to get VCP sometime over the break and then figure out how much to sell each one.
  • Options
    Below are the cards that will be up for sale. I will be getting a VCP 1 day membership hopefully on Friday, then I will put up prices. If you'd like to see any of the other cards, I can either put up a scan, or you can check out my photobucket page at: PDub's '56's

Card # - PSA Grade
    10 - 6.5 - Warren Spahn
    11 - 5.5
    16 - 6.5
    18 - 7
    22 - 7
    23 - 7
    28 - 7
    34 - 6.5
    37 - 6.5
    43 - 7
    52 - 5
    53 - 7
    56 - 7
    58 - 7
    60 - 7
    62 - 7
    63 - 7
    74 - 6.5
    75 - 7
    87 - 7
    89 - 7
    104 - 7
    108 - 7
    111 - 6
    116 - 6.5
    130 - 5 - Willie Mays
    146 - 6.5
    150 - 6 - Duke Snider
    164 - 6 - Harmon Killebrew
    178 - 7.5
    194 - 6 - Monte Irvin
    207 - 7
    232 - 6
    235 - 5 - Don Newcombe
    272 - 7
    284 - 7
    289 - 7
    314 - 7
    325 - 7
    331 - 5
  • Options
    Here are my two most recent pickups. I don't have them in hand yet, but I suspect I will enjoy them when they arrive.

If Sievers made that catch, that's a hell of a play.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>Here are my two most recent pickups. I don't have them in hand yet, but I suspect I will enjoy them when they arrive.

If Sievers made that catch, that's a hell of a play.

image >>

Very nice. Those would fit in my set any day. I love 7.5s. The "red-headed stepchild" of grades. Usually they don't sell for much more than 7s, and way less than 8s. Keep on keeping on. 18% of the set in less than a year is good progress.
  • Options
    I like to do an annual review of my progress on this set. A year ago today, I was at 286/342 (83.63%). Today I'm at 318/342 (92.98%). So I added 32 cards in a year. I suspect things will become more difficult in the coming year. A couple of other numbers: in 2009 I stood in 44th place in the registry out of 129 sets. Today I'm 39th out of 134 sets. In 2009 I was aiming to finish in 2011. Realistically, I don't think that will happen now. The only cards I need are hard to find low pops and/or high dollar cards. If I can be under 10 cards needed in December 2011, I think I'll be satisfied.
  • Options
    Brett,

Nice summary and good progress with your set. I wish I had kept track of my set to see how I have done this year. I am down to needing 12 cards and it is rare when I find one. They need to be nicely centered and at a fair price...that combination pretty much brings me to a snails pace.

Happy Holidays

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Brett,

Nice summary and good progress with your set. I wish I had kept track of my set to see how I have done this year. I am down to needing 12 cards and it is rare when I find one. They need to be nicely centered and at a fair price...that combination pretty much brings me to a snails pace.

Happy Holidays

Jeff >>

Jeff,

Any recent additions? I thought you were around 18 or so needed the last time I checked. Do you have a Mitchell or Yankees Team yet? If I were a betting man, I'd wager that one of these two will be the last card I need to finish my set. Awesome job! Please keep us updated as you countdown to the finish line.
  • Options
    Brett,

I have picked up a few over the last couple months...nothing big but one's that I needed.

193 Mizell

233 Erskine

225 McDougald

64 Arroyo

54 Keegan

Here are the ones that I have left...I dont want to get in a bidding war with you so we need to coordinate on these should they come up. This list is for the Master Set being complete.

83 Karl Spooner
    88 Johnny Kucks
    95 Braves Team Date
    95 Braves Team Center
    95 Braves Team Left
    98 Camilo Pascual
    184 Don Bessent
    235 Don Newcombe
    240 Wy Ford
    251 Yankees Team
    255 Bob Lemon
    258 Art Ditmar
    268 Dale Mitchell
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Everyone,

I meant to post a bit earlier (a few months ago), but I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Dissapointed somewhat that there hasnt been too many updates to it in the past few months. I have started to begin the process of assembling a 1956 topps set in PSA7 and PSA7.5...have found that the 7.5's are really nice looking cards and dont sell for much over the 7's. However, they are difficult to find and the bidding sometimes gets intense. Right now I'm only at 10 cards. However, I already have the Mantle in PSA7, so that is a good start. =)

Really enjoyed reviewing how everyone has gotten to the point they are now. A few questions...

Do Yankee team cards ever come up for sale? In PSA 7 or above?
    Seems very difficult to find nicely centered 7's?
    Do most of you do your purchasing through EBAY? That's where i'm doing most of mine. And I try to get to the SunTimes shows in Chicago as well.
    What are some of the other challenges that you all have encountered?
    What scanners do you use to put your cards on here and in the set registry?

Now it seems pretty easy, because I basically need every card =). I imagine when you get to 200+ it gets tougher to add cards to your sets...sometimes it seems like I'm really into it, and other times, I find that I stop looking for a month or two. The set was before my time (I'm only 32), but I think the 56 set is very attractive, and the Mantle card is my favorite card of all time. (at least to what I can afford LOL) I'm looking forward to building the set. Anyways, thanks for reading, and I look forward to visiting with all of you as we work on our sets!

Jeremy
  • Options
    Hi Jeremy. Always good to see new collectors come on board.

The Mantle was my first card too. It's all downhill from here! You won't find a more expensive card in the rest of the set.

The vast majority of my set has been assembled via eBay. A majority of the set appears on eBay 3-5 times (at least) per year in 7 or above. The only catch as I see you're aware is the centering. Everyone's tolerance is different. Print lines and print dots are also troublesome. The closer I look at my set, the more I see the print lines and dots. But centering is by far my main concern. The Pop Report is a pretty accurate guide to find the cards that won't appear as frequently on eBay.

I think a VCP (vintage card prices) subscription is an important tool for any vintage set collector. For instance, thanks to VCP, I can tell you that there were 11 sales of PSA 7 Yankee Team cards on eBay in 2010. The average recent sale has been for $312.67 with a high of $511.99 and a low of $227.50. It also archives images of the cards so you can see why the high $ and low $. They also alert you via email when a card on your want list becomes available on eBay (or the auction houses).

A couple of final thoughts. I think if you have deep pockets you can easily complete this set in less than a year. I'd recommend that you be patient though and wait for cards that you're truly happy with rather than the first one that becomes available. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Also, as far as scanners, many on the CU Boards are believers in the Epson V300 (myself included). If you go to the Sports Card and Memorabilia Board and type in scanners in the search box you'll find plenty of before and after scans that make the case for this scanner. Finally, you may want to click on the profile tab on the upper right hand of this page to allow Private Messages. That's what that little gold lock icon is to the right of all of our posts. Good luck with your set. There's a lot of good guys here that would be happy to help with any further questions you may have.
  • Options
    Finally got around to sending in my 5 freebies for hitting the 90% mark on my set. In the last 3 or 4 years I've been picking up nice SGC 88s or 86s or 84s with the idea that I'd be cracking them and sending them in when I hit 90%. The whole idea of delving into the ungraded cesspool on eBay is totally unappealing to me so I chose the crack and cross route. With 3 SGC cards I got impatient and grabbed a nicely centered PSA 6 and then even added a GAI 7.5 that I didn't even need just to hit the number needed.

1 1 17605563 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1956 TOPPS 12 ANDY CAREY GRAY BACK Card US
    2 1 17605564 NEAR MINT 7 1956 TOPPS 217 BILLY KLAUS Card US
    3 1 17605565 NEAR MINT 7 1956 TOPPS 270 BILLY LOES Card US
    4 1 17605566 NEAR MINT 7 1956 TOPPS 289 HAL JEFFCOAT Card US
    5 1 17605567 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1956 TOPPS 300 VIC WERTZ Card US
    Total Items: 5
    Date Received: 2/22/2011
    Date Shipped: 2/24/2011
    Order Status: Shipped

Props to PSA for the quick turnaround. Unfortunately all of the cards I was trying to cross came back with a lower PSA grade than the original TPG. The Carey was an SGC 84, the Klaus and Jeffcoat were SGC 88s, the Loes was a GAI 7.5, and the Wertz was a PSA 6. Here's a tally of my results with the crack and cross game since I started this set.

Andy Carey SGC 84 -----------> PSA 6 (down 1 full grade)
    Jim Rivera SGC 88 -------------> PSA 7.5 (down 1/2 grade)
    Frank Sullivan SGC 86 --------> PSA 8 (up 1/2 grade)
    Roy Campanella SGC 88 -----> PSA 7.5 (down 1/2 grade)
    Dixie Howell SGC 88 ----------> PSA 8 (stayed the same)
    Glen Gorbous SGC 88 --------> PSA 7.5 (down 1/2 grade)
    Jim Small SGC 88 --------------> PSA 8.5 (up 1/2 grade)
    Elston Howard SGC 88 -------> PSA 7.5 (down 1/2 grade)
    Billy Klaus SGC 88 -------------> PSA 7 (down 1 full grade)
    Billy Loes GAI 7.5 --------------> PSA 7 (down 1/2 grade)
    Jim Greengrass SGC 88 ------> PSA 7 (down 1 full grade)
    Hal Jeffcoat SGC 88 -----------> PSA 7 (down 1 full grade)
    Vic Wertz PSA 6 ----------------> PSA 6 (stayed the same)

Hardly enough of a sample size to make any definite conclusions. Nothing up or down more than 1 grade. So no real outrageous differences.
  • Options
    13 to go. Not seeing too many auctions now, mainly BINs. You're not going to get any bargains there. But I can see the finish line and I'm not going to slow down now.

I've posted about my difficulty in acquiring the Mitchell before. This one was available as a BIN for a couple of weeks before I pulled the trigger. l/r centering is off and there's a print line or two, but I'm still happy with it.

I've found the Ward to be tough as well. Again, l/r centering could be better.

I still need a mixture of high dollar cards (Aaron, Robinson, Yankees Team, etc.) and lower pops that are rarely well centered (Valo, Ditmar, Kellert, etc.). It won't be easy, but maybe I can make a run at completing this in 2011.
  • Options
    Beautiful pickups!

I am impressed you are still finding cards you need at a relatively quick pace. Many is the time I search for EVERYTHING EBay has to offer under "1956 Topps PSA"- auctions and BIN's - and I still can't find a reasonably priced card that's centered the way I want it. And I only have 19% of the set!!
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    I hear ya and I know Jeff is having the same problem. I guess I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to pay a premium for the quality of card I want. It helps that by far my main focus is on this set so if a card becomes available I haven't dropped a significant sum for a card from another set.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    mrpeanut39 - You slay me Re: your 3/4 post and centering being "off" on Mitchell and Ward.
    I'd kill for either and die happy to have any "o/c" like these two in 8's in my '56T set.
  • Options

<< <i>mrpeanut39 - You slay me Re: your 3/4 post and centering being "off" on Mitchell and Ward.
    I'd kill for either and die happy to have any "o/c" like these two in 8's in my '56T set. >>

Thanks. Maybe I am a bit too anal about the centering.
  • Options

<< <i>mrpeanut39 - You slay me Re: your 3/4 post and centering being "off" on Mitchell and Ward.
    I'd kill for either and die happy to have any "o/c" like these two in 8's in my '56T set. >>

I was kinda thinking this too when I saw mrpeanut's post. The Mitchell I can tell that it's not perfect, but it's still a beautifully-centered example. The Ward, on the other hand, looks 50-50 dead-nuts all the way around to me. No, I didn't use one of those fancy electrified pixellation measuring machines to find out for sure, but I at least think I know 50-50 when I see it......... image
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    You know how people say the card looks better in person than in the scan? The Ward is a case of the scan looking better than the card in hand.
  • Options
    Well, the going is (and will continue to be) much slower now than it was last year, but I have reached the 20% milestone. Here's the card that got me there:

Edited to add: What appears to be a smudge above the "Y" in Yogi on the scan is not on the card.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Nice Yogi. Always nice to reach a milestone. How are you doing with the stars? I recall you posting a Snider and a Robinson in addition to this Yogi. My early philosophy was to grab the commons first. Going particularly hard after the low pops and then since the stars were so much more readily available, pick them up at the end. I've been looking for an Aaron or Robinson (anything I need really) the last month without any success. The pickings are really slim on eBay lately.
  • Options

<< <i>How are you doing with the stars? >>

Considering I still have 4/5 of the set left to get, I'm doing pretty well:
    PSA 8- Campy, Killebrew
    PSA 7.5- Robinson
    PSA 7- Aaron, Berra, Snider, Roberts, Wilhelm, Dodgers team card
    PSA 6.5- Ashburn, Fox
    PSA 6- Spahn, Clemente (I also have a PSA 7 in my Clemente basic set)

<< <i>The pickings are really slim on eBay lately. >>

Boy, ain't that the truth.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Hi guys,

Haven't posted much here lately as it seems like months since I have been able to find a card that I need. At 96% complete and the pickings are slim right now.

Walter...that Yogi is a beauty! Sure like the centered 56s that look like that one.

Have my sights on a card that I need right now so hope to be able to post it soon.

Jeff
  • Options
    Yeah I had a flurry of activity from about December through February. I was foolish enough to think my good fortune would continue. But it's been over a month with nothing even close for me.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Well I finally picked up this one...first card in a while. Pic is not that great but looking forward to getting in hand.

Jeff