Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• Options

<< <i>The cards I have so far in my set range from PSA 6 to PSA 8. When the time comes for me to pick up the Dale Mitchell, I think I'm going to go ahead and settle for a 6......

because here's what a poorly centered 8 costs >>

oh my!

i think a centered six will suffice, no? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I know Rick has a strong following, but that seems obscene. I got mine back in Feb. from kurtzkardz at BIN for less than that.

fwiw, good luck finding even a 6 well centered. I would have been extremely happy with a 7 for my set, but they all seemed to be grotesquely OC. I've given my opinion on the Mitchell before, but I'll say it again... regardless of what the pop reports say, I think this is the toughest card in the set. When I started building my set way back in 2001, it was well known that the Mitchell was a tough card. So I think people have been submitting with that in mind for a long time. Therefore, the Pless, the Noren, the White Sox Team Card may be lower pop, but not nearly as many have been submitted.

Here's that Series 4 uncut sheet showing the Mitchell in the bottom, left hand corner.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    added some more cards to my set, might be about 20% done, mixed PSA & raw.....so now i'm hooked thanks to you guys and living vicariously through this thread....

here's a coupla nice ones that came with today's lot....

• Options
    Beautiful raw cards, Goner. Those look like easy 8's if you ever elect to imprison them. Maybe even higher on the Piersall.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful raw cards, Goner. Those look like easy 8's if you ever elect to imprison them. Maybe even higher on the Piersall. >>

Holy crap! Those are beauties.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Holy BLAZIN!!!! Nice rawbies!!!!
  • Options
    Welp, I made it to the quarter pole. Whatever happens, at least I got that far.

Edited to add: Fine, I give up. Forget the picture. The free Photobucket SUCKS!!!!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Well done Walter. Donnie would be proud.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Walter,

You are well on your way and it hasn't even been that long since you started. Very nice Tanner by the way. Keep up the good work.

Jeff
  • Options
    I don't have a working scanner right now, but I am up to 17 7's for this set including several HOFers. Moving slow, but moving nonetheless...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    PowderedH20...would love to see what you have so far when you get a scanner working. Progress is progress no matter how slow. I am down to needing six cards and it has been months since I have been able to add one. Good luck with your set.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>PowderedH20...would love to see what you have so far when you get a scanner working. Progress is progress no matter how slow. I am down to needing six cards and it has been months since I have been able to add one. Good luck with your set.

Jeff >>

Yes. By all means. I'd love to see scans.

Jeff... looks like we're at the same point. I'm also down to 6 to go. It's rare when one of them appears on eBay at all. Let alone with good centering. Just have to keep on waiting and watching I guess.
  • Options
    What 6or7 cards do you all need just curious
  • Options
    Here are the one's I need...

88 Johnny Kucks
    95 Braves Team
    251 Yankees Team
    258 Art Ditmar
    268 Dale Mitchell

I kind of need Jackie Robinson...I had it and it was PSA graded 7. It looked like an 8 to me so I cracked it out and it came back trimmed. I don't see it so will re-submit it along with next renewal.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>What 6or7 cards do you all need just curious >>

Here are the six I need:

030 Jackie Robinson
    164 Harmon Killebrew
    224 Bud Podbielan
    251 Yankees Team
    291 Frank Kellert
    303 Jim Dyck

I expected the Robinson and Killebrew to be much easier, being star cards and all. But I've bid on just one Robinson card this year and no Killebrew's since 2010. The commons I need are not the lowest pops and I suspect they'll just appear one day on eBay without much fanfare.

Jeff, those are tough ones you need as I'm sure you know. The Kucks should be similar to the commons I need. It will just show up on eBay and you should get it at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or does Jim Piersall look like a young Ben Affleck (circa Good Will Hunting days)?
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me, or does Jim Piersall look like a young Ben Affleck (circa Good Will Hunting days)? >>

Good call.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Hello everyone!

I am attempting this set in a PSA 7.5 grade. I know that this will be a great challenge as there are fewer 7.5s graded than 9s right now, but it should be fun! I see some in this thread, so dont be afraid to make a deal with me image Please check out the few cards I have from the set below. I have a couple of the stars graded and a bunch of others graded as well. For example I have the following from the set available for trade/sale if anyone had any PSA 7.5s I need:

Ted Williams PSA 7
    Willie Mays PSA 7
    Hank Aaron PSA 7
    Richie Ashburn PSA 7
    Ed Mathews PSA 7
    Harmon Killebrew PSA 7
    Billy Martin PSA 7
    George Kell PSA 7
    Elston Howard PSA 7
    Carl Furillo PSA 7
    Al Rosen PSA 7
    Joe Ad**** PSA 7
    Duke Snider PSA 6
    Pee Wee Reese PSA 6
    Roberto Clemente PSA 6.5
    Yogi Berra PSA 5
    Al Kaline PSA 4.5
    Clem Labine PSA 8
    Bobby Thomson PSA 8
    Enos Slaughter PSA 8
    and many others graded from PSA 5-7

• Options
    Good luck chelsea- sounds like quite a challenge! I like picking up 7.5s as well, so you may have some competition occasionally. image

Here's a 7 I just picked up. I don't have it in hand yet, but when I get it I will jump from 0% to 50% on the "1956 Topps League Presidents" registry set I've been picking at.

Prez #2

Edited to actually add the link!

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    here are some more scans
  • Options
    QuantrillsRaiders, please send me an e-mail at hasher08@gmail.com. You have some cards I am interested in. Thanks, Hal
  • Options
    I sent you a pm bro
  • Options
    One more pick-up for the set! Help me get some more PSA 7.5s image

• Options
    Whoa! The new guys are flashing some serious cardboard. Beautiful cards guys!
  • Options
    i guess i need a new scanner because i think my scans are horrendous but i got tired of fooling with it
  • Options
    Beautiful cards guys...love those 7.5s.

Most of the old timers have seen this card but I need to bring it out again since so many nice cards have been shown lately.

Jeff

• Options
    Jeff,

If you ever decide to sell that Mantle, please keep me in mind. That card is exactly what I would be hoping for when the time comes to add the Mick to my set.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    To celebrate the fact that the free photobucket is working properly for me now, I'll keep the line moving. This one's in transit......

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Nice eye Walter...I love the cards you are picking up. They don't get much better than that.

Jeff
  • Options
    I agree. That's a great condition card, and it is one of the best looking cards in the set. I love the colors. I need to get one of these for myself...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice eye Walter...I love the cards you are picking up. They don't get much better than that.

Jeff >>

• Options
    And then there were 5. t/b centering could be better on this one, but I'm getting anxious to hit the finish line so my standards are bound to drop a little bit.

• Options

<< <i>And then there were 5. t/b centering could be better on this one, but I'm getting anxious to hit the finish line so my standards are bound to drop a little bit. >>

Great looking Killer. The centering might not be absolutely perfect, but it's about as close as you can get without being perfect. 337 down, 5 to go!!!

Here's a new arrival from our friend Rick Probstein. My original plan to tackle this set in all PSA 6 couldn't possibly be going more smoothly.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And then there were 5. t/b centering could be better on this one, but I'm getting anxious to hit the finish line so my standards are bound to drop a little bit. >>

Great looking Killer. The centering might not be absolutely perfect, but it's about as close as you can get without being perfect. 337 down, 5 to go!!!

Here's a new arrival from our friend Rick Probstein. My original plan to tackle this set in all PSA 6 couldn't possibly be going more smoothly.

image >>

Ha! Ha! Did you at least get that 8 at a good price? I've seen Probstein auctioning off a lot of 56s lately. Hoping he'll offer up a nice J. Robby in a PSA 7 soon.

Just noticed Yogi appears on that Amoros card. When I'm bored some night I might go through the set and see how many cards Yogi appears on. It has to be at least half a dozen.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you at least get that 8 at a good price? >>

I don't have a subscription to VCP right now, but my guess would be no. I just liked it, so I put in a strong bid for it.

When you're looking for Yogis, you should also count up "play at the plate" action shots in general. It seems like there's a sh*tload of those.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    The other day I was trying to figure out how many HOF'ers were in the '56 set. A brief online search took me to an article that says there are 34, but I could not find a comprehensive list (not that I spent all that much time on it). I did a little research of my own and I could only find 31. Can anyone help me out and fill in the three I'm missing?

Aaron, Alston, Aparicio, Ashburn, Banks, Berra, Campanella, Clemente, Feller, Ford, Fox, Irvin, Kaline, Kell, Killebrew, Koufax, Lemon, Mantle, Mathews, Mays, Reese, Rizzuto, Roberts, Robinson, Schoendienst, Slaughter, Snider, Spahn, Wilhelm, Williams, Wynn.

I just picked up HOF'er #15 for my set. I may need an intervention at some point to stop buying these.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    There is a 1956 Topps HOF Players Set in the Hall of Fame section. You should register your 15 cards in that.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a 1956 Topps HOF Players Set in the Hall of Fame section. You should register your 15 cards in that. >>

Thank you! That is a lot easier than the way I was doing it. According to the set registry list, there are 32. The only one I was missing is Larry Doby.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options

<< <i>I like to do an annual review of my progress on this set. A year ago today, I was at 286/342 (83.63%). Today I'm at 318/342 (92.98%). So I added 32 cards in a year. I suspect things will become more difficult in the coming year. A couple of other numbers: in 2009 I stood in 44th place in the registry out of 129 sets. Today I'm 39th out of 134 sets. In 2009 I was aiming to finish in 2011. Realistically, I don't think that will happen now. The only cards I need are hard to find low pops and/or high dollar cards. If I can be under 10 cards needed in December 2011, I think I'll be satisfied. >>

Time to take stock of the past year. I was able to add 17 cards since I made the above post last year and now have 337/342 (98.54%). My set is ranked 32nd out of 149 graded sets. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a couple more I needed in the past couple weeks, but just couldn't do it as the centering was just not good enough. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to add the 3 commons I need in 2012. I also feel I'll find a nice Jackie this year as well. Not as confident about the Yankees Team Card though. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
  • Options
    Brett,

Good year for you on your set. I think it is kind of cool how you keep track of that. I keep what I paid but never thought about how many cards I started the year with. Best of luck finishing this year.

I just picked up 258 Ditmar in an 8 but dropped my centering standards a bit. Since I am down to the last 5 cards would like to finish something.

Happy Holidays!

Jeff
  • Options
    Congrats on the continued progress to completion. This thread has got me started on this set. I am very, very slowly picking up centered 5's and 6's. Hope to have patience similar to you guys as I continue. - Kevin
  • Options
    I am a relative newbie at this set. I am at less than 10% currently, but I do have four of the HOFers. My goal for 2012 for this set will be to get to 25%. That would be 86 cards. That means I would need to add about 60 cards next year. I am working on it in PSA 7. I'm not that picky about centering. My big deal is registration. So, I am going to try and plug away at this pace for a few years in PSA 7.

Sam
  • Options
    Counting the cards that are currently on their way to me, I am at 108/342 (31.6%), with the following breakdown:

PSA 8.5- 1
    PSA 8- 19
    PSA 7.5- 14
    PSA 7- 41
    PSA 6.5- 15
    PSA 6- 18

I have 15 of the 32 HOF'ers in the set. The most significant ones I still need are Mantle, Williams, Koufax, Mays, and Aparicio.
    So I've made very good progress in a year and a half, but now I need to work my way out of debt and it's going to take a while to do it. So I suspect that my number at the end of 2012 is not going to be much different from where it is now.
    I will have enough in EBay bucks next quarter that I should be able to add six well-centered PSA 7 commons that I need, if I'm patient. That would put me at exactly 1/3 completion, which is a good place to hit the 'pause' button.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Congrats to Kevin and Sam for starting this set...glad we were able to get you two to jump on board. Let me know if you have any questions relative to the set. Happy Holidays.

Jeff
  • Options
    Hi guys,

How is everyone making out getting cards for their sets? Wanted to share a pick up from last night and wonder who bid it way up on me. Tough card and have never seen one centered so happy to have even though it cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Jeff

• Options
    Congrats on the pickup Jeff! Four left now?

It was not me bidding you up. I didn't even know about that one.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Wasn't me. 7's still too pricey for now. Thanks for the offer to help, Jeff. At some point, I will concentrate more on this set. For now, I need to complete some others that I am working on - '69 Topps Baseball and '76 Topps Football and misc. Hockey - Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks guys...down to needing four.

30 Robinson

88 Kucks

95 Braves Team

268 Mitchell...big surprise!

• Options

<< <i>Hi guys,

How is everyone making out getting cards for their sets? Wanted to share a pick up from last night and wonder who bid it way up on me. Tough card and have never seen one centered so happy to have even though it cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Jeff

image >>

Totally awesome Jeff! I was wondering if anybody from the boards grabbed that one. If it wasn't so close to the holidays, I would have given you a run for your money. Unfortunately I had to sit on the sidelines. Congrats. Glad it stayed in the family so to speak.